Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can we get 100+ carries & 500+ yards out of Darien Rencher?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

Can we get 100+ carries & 500+ yards out of Darien Rencher?

May 21, 2019, 12:13 PM

Clemson's got a subtle but definite problem at RB for 2019: our RB stable from 2018 has been cut in half. We return arguably our two most-talented and explosive backs, yes, in Etienne and Lyn-J Dixon (who averaged a whopping 8.8 yards a carry to Etienne's mind-boggling 8.1), but gone are Adam Choice's 77 carries and 548 yards, as well as Tavien Feaster's 78 carries and 440 yards (as well as Feaster's 11 catches for 71 yards), which means that's 171 touches and 1059 yards of production Clemson is going to have to replace.

Some of that will happen because Lyn-J Dixon is going to get more touches, which looks like a good thing, because Lyn-J Dixon looks like a potentially elite back himself and like Etienne he can house it from anywhere at anytime and always looked like a big play waiting to happen. More Dixon sounds awesome, actually.

The problem is that neither guy is a pounding, blue-collar, smack-you-in-the-mouth RB like Adam Choice was, and none of Clemson's backs have Feaster's natural hands out of the backfield and none of them look like natural third-down backs like Feaster was. And then there's the fact that there's just two dudes left.

We're bringing in two freshman backs in Chez Mellusi and Michael Dukes, true, but true freshmen RB's tend to get their QB's killed in pass-pro. And I really doubt either guy is likely to be instant impact anyhow...I love Mellusi's upside and think he's Wayne Gallman Mark II - tall, runs upright, runs angry, and accelerates 0-60 in the blink of an eye - but he's also Wayne Gallman in the fact that he's converting from an option-style offense and his instinct is going to be to dance east-west down the line instead of sticking his foot in the ground and going north-south between the tackles, and he's only around 175 coming out of high school...I think Mellusi helps us a lot more in 2020 than he does in 2019. And Dukes looks like a tough, hard-nosed, blue-collar guy who will be more of a platoon guy than a feature back...again, not an immediate answer for 2019.

That leaves former walk-on Darien Rencher as the only holdover scholarship guy on the roster, and while Dixon is probably going to come close to doubling his touch total (call it 120 touches, maybe more) that still leaves 80+ and probably closer to 100 or even 120 carries for Rencher, since the last thing you're going to want to be doing is running the legs off Etienne and Dixon if you want them to arrive in the playoffs in any kind of good health. And if either of that duo miss time that total could climb in a heckuva hurry.

Which means, once again, even with Clemson's lauded recruiting classes a big part of the season is going to hinge on the value the staff can extract from a former walk-on.

Can he do it? I actually think he might can, since Rencher has actually looked like a capable if not spectacular guy in spot duty...but again, Clemson will be asking - and needing - a largely unrecruited local walk-on from TL Hannah to tote the rock 100+ times this year, and generate at least 500+ yards in production in the process...because those carries could well mean the difference between Etienne and Dixon arriving to the playoffs with fresh legs or gimping in with the tread worn off their tires.

It's a big ask. And if Clemson is to repeat in 2019, Rencher's almost going to have to deliver. Interesting, yeah?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can we get 100+ carries & 500+ yards out of Darien Rencher?

May 21, 2019, 12:20 PM

I think one thing to note is when those carries took place, a lot of times when the games were well in hand. I think Rencher can handle that work load, but the vast majority of those carries will come in the second half of fourth quarters when we're up 4 TDs, if not more.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2019, 12:22 PM

Yup, this would really finally be the year for Paul Macko, if only he still had some eligibility left!

You pose an interesting question

May 21, 2019, 12:29 PM

Thankfully we have college footballs best coaching staff to solve that potential problem. We may see a change in the offensive approach to some games. It’s always possible that the receivers could become a part of the run game. Lots of talent on this team that we haven’t seen yet.

Well that's where Rodgers being out hurts too.

May 23, 2019, 3:25 AM

Perhaps this is a great spot to plug in DK, but he's getting more looks at DB right?
Good OP, and I like your follow up FT.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

No

May 21, 2019, 12:24 PM

Dukes and Mellusi will get the ball more than Rencher

Snowflake Basher........Out

I'm sure we will get the FR some carries

May 21, 2019, 12:30 PM

They can play in 4 games now and still RS so we could maybe get one of them ~20 carries while still RSing, and perhaps not RS the other at all.

Re: I'm sure we will get the FR some carries

May 21, 2019, 12:36 PM

They can play in 4 games now and still RS so we could maybe get one of them ~20 carries while still RSing, and perhaps not RS the other at all.

Which one, though?

Unless he adapts faster than Gallman did, Mellusi probably needs a year to convert to Clemson's run game and bulk up, and Dukes is, well, a low-end 3-star who looks like maybe a solid platoon guy for the future, but as a frosh he's not likely going to contribute a ton. And then when you add in the fact that these guys are going to be doing the usual freshman RB thing of whiffing at pass-rushers and getting their QB's lit up from behind, do you really think the coaches are going to risk the franchise on the newbies?

Unlikely, I think.

Well, despite how talented he was, I'm not sure Lyn-J

May 21, 2019, 1:26 PM

had a truly meaningful carry all season for us last year. Most likely we just need some bodies to throw in there during mop up time. They may screw up in pass pro and get Brice or Puma leveled on a couple of occasions, but that's probably OK during mop up time.

I do wish we had a more experienced 3rd string guy because our 3rd string backs typically do get meaningful carries, but I don't think we need anyone behind Etienne and Dixon getting more than 60-70 carries.

Last year the relevant RB carry totals were:

Etienne - 204
Feaster - 78
Choice - 77
Dixon - 62
Rencher - 15

Total - 436

That was still under 14 carries per game for Etienne. I think he can handle a little more than that next year.. maybe around 220 (assuming we play 15 games) which should be about 50% of the RB carries. And i don't think there's any reason why Lyn-J can't handle like 8 per game (120 on the year). We haven't given our #2 back that many carries in a while largely because we haven't had much separation between our #2-4 backs in a long time. Next year we will and i think the staff can adjust just like they did back in 2015 and 2016 giving Gallman like 2/3 of the RB carries because there was so much separation between him and the rest of the backs.

That really only leaves about 100 carries for the other guys, many of which will be in mop up time.

Typically the more power running style guys are better

May 21, 2019, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm sure we will get the FR some carries ]

Blockers. Guys who like contact like Choice are usually not scared to step in and give the effort needed to stop a full speed blitzer.

Hopefully one of these guys will be a decent blocker for us. Whoever it is will earn a lot more Carries

May 21, 2019, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm sure we will get the FR some carries ]

Dukes will surprise you don’t play into the stars.

May 21, 2019, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm sure we will get the FR some carries ]

Bubble Screens/Flares/Quick Toss extensions of Running game

May 21, 2019, 5:39 PM

I like what I just read on here about Rencher! I hope it's all true! If not, the super quick( different from quick passing game mind you) passing game is an extension of the running game.

Plenty of guys who can carry the mail with those type plays!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2019, 8:12 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm sure we will get the FR some carries ]

Mellusi is over 200lbs now , still a freshman though...

May 22, 2019, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm sure we will get the FR some carries ]

Dukes is a gamer...yes might not be an ETN but he has the potential to be a great rb. Stars mean nothing to me... there’s are reason Dabo n Elliot offered him. Not to mention he’s a great kid.

May 21, 2019, 12:52 PM

You guys need to relax. LJD is going to rush for 2,000 yards this year as the #2 guy. :) JK, but expect him to rush for over 1,000 easily. ETN might rush for 2,000 though. You guys worry too much. I expect our passing game to be off the charts. We are freaking loaded at WR.

I wouldn't call it worrying, more like strategic planning

May 21, 2019, 1:30 PM

And being forward thinking.

A different perspective on the same question

May 21, 2019, 1:02 PM

I look at our stats last year out of our RBs and see this:

ETN - 204 attempts - 1,658 yards
Everybody Else: - 232 attempts - 1,600 yards

In the Everybody Else club, I only included Feaster, Choice, LJD and Rencher.

The question to me is can we get 232 carries and 1,600 yards out of LJD, Rencher, Mellusi and Dukes? The answer is obviously yes. Somebody will carry the ball when ETN is on the sidelines.

Rencher won't get the vacated carries from Feaster and Choice. He toted the rock 15 times last year. He is primarily a scout team guy. I'm not knocking the guy, but nobody expects him to 'step up his game' and be heavily involved in the RB rotation.

My guess is that ETN will get 250+ carries this year. He is a serious Heisman contender and I'm betting Dabo wants one of those in the trophy case. Lyn-J will get the lion's share of the remaining snaps... call it 100. And the remaining guys, Mellusi, Dukes, Rencher will split about 100 between them.

We'll probably see a lot more TE help on blocking than we'd like. But, nobody is going to put TL in danger of getting his bell rung because LJD can't pass protect yet.

232 for 1600 is almost 7 ypc

May 21, 2019, 1:16 PM

I hope you're right, but it might be a stretch to assume we'll get that kind of production out of the backups again.

Rencher can carry that load given the chance

May 21, 2019, 1:14 PM

If not for the two blown out knees in high school, Rencher would have been a take at Clemson much like Dukes is now. Since he has been on campus, he has had to get his confidence back in his knees and it has come around because it was intimidating for him to come in, be on the scout team and have to be the tackling dummy for Wilkens, Ferrel, Bryant, Dex, Huggy, Watkins, Dodd and others. That's why BV vouches for him; Rencher and Jimmy Greenbeans helped to prepare the defense for all of those "great" running games we faced in the playoffs.
A little known fact is that Rencher always graded as high as Gallman and Choice in pass pro; and TE does have the confidence in Rencher to be on the field. Go back and look at the spring game and you will see that it was Rencher that blew up Shaq Smith, separating him from his helmet, on one particular play, and consistently carried out his assignment when not carrying the ball.
Rencher isn't going to wow anyone, but he will become that back that Fuller was for the team. But think about this... Rencher right now at 5'9, 195 is bigger than both Mellusi and Dukes and has 3 years of learning the playbook and physical maturity ahead of both those guys and unfortunately, neither enrolled early.
I hope Mellusi and Dukes both come in ahead of expectations, get 4 games and 30-40 carries each to retain the redshirt so that we can build for the future. But Rencher has been waiting for this opportunity, and I don't think that he will disappoint in doing whatever the staff needs him to do...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2019, 1:25 PM

Yes, they will all come in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

thanks

With 2 Heisman candidates...it will be interesting to see

May 21, 2019, 1:29 PM

how the staff handles WHO (TL or ETN) gets the load.

My guess is that all depends on health.

If ETN gets banged up, then expect TL to throw more...vice versa.

May 21, 2019, 1:34 PM

I see Trevor getting 3 times as many carries this year and XT will take Christian and Big Dex carries plus a couple more

May 21, 2019, 1:48 PM

Man I’m glad that’s over with .me and Scott Dabo and Elliott have now got to decipher it and see how we go

May 21, 2019, 3:26 PM

ETN surpassed 20 carries what 2-3 times all year? He's perfectly fine getting 3 more carries a game to take up 50 carries more and Lyn J getting 50 more touches this year as the #2 guy (if nobody takes over by storm over the summer) meaning rencher wouldn't need but 30-40 carries or so to equal last year... I wouldn't worry about Feaster's 11 catches over 15 games even being noticed, quite literally at all so the hands portion I'm not worried about as we will run more 4 receiver formations anyways and our rush attempts total will probably drop as TL progresses even more in this second year and our receiving core (scary to say) has gotten even better and deeper by adding guys like Ngata and Ladson.

May 21, 2019, 6:03 PM

I absolutely love DR, but he does not have the size and strength to be our rb. The young man wants to be a Tiger, but would be a superstar for Wofford. I wish him the best and DR keep on doing what you are doing. I think we see a lot more of him earlier in the game this year.

You forgot to measure the guy's heart cowboy. It's BIG

May 22, 2019, 8:01 PM

and it's REAL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

May 21, 2019, 8:08 PM

************************************************** -->
As always, Q...truly spectacular analysis. Thank you!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You must have been as stoned when you replied as

May 22, 2019, 10:30 AM

Quoz was when he wrote that.

Look, no knock on Darien, but ol' Quoz was smoking some high grade stuff when he crafted that one.

May 21, 2019, 8:29 PM

Mikey played for First Baptist not some big high school. He has some good experience on both sides of the ball at such a small program. He excelled at pass-pro; I think he’ll surprise a lot of people and fill in for Feaster immediately.

ETN will need those carries

May 22, 2019, 8:29 AM

to lock up the Heisman.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You must be smoking the medical stuff :)

May 22, 2019, 10:24 AM

Rencher, albeit a quality RB and Tiger, will be lucky to get 15 carries.

Let's put a friendly wager on those 15 carries...

May 22, 2019, 12:41 PM

I say he gets 45 carries or more to your 15 carries or less... anything in between is a tie. That's giving you 3 to 1 odds, let's go!! LOL

Re: Let's put a friendly wager on those 15 carries...

May 22, 2019, 12:57 PM

Knuck® said:

I say he gets 45 carries or more to your 15 carries or less... anything in between is a tie. That's giving you 3 to 1 odds, let's go!! LOL

You know what I think. I suppose one of the true froshes could surprise and marinate ahead of likely schedule but otherwise the math says they're going to have to use Rencher pretty extensively, at least as a closer. I was actually glad to hear your take on his pass-pro and his history...I was always wondering why no one had recruited him because I've seen a lot of worse backs at the FCS and even lower-FBS level.

I know we're basically talking relief pitching now, but it's still an important role.

LOL. So the buzz wore off now?

May 22, 2019, 1:10 PM

;)

Re: Let's put a friendly wager on those 15 carries...

May 22, 2019, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Let's put a friendly wager on those 15 carries... ]

the math says it, and the coaches are optimistic as well that the math is accurate... another tidbit is that DR is pretty good catching the ball out of the backfield as well. he really could have gone to a smaller school and been a stud, but he only wanted to attend Clemson or Stanford as his second choice. I really think that this year we're going to reap the benefit of him having stuck to his dreams and toughed it out...

As ALMOST always - the incoming MIGHT be able to tote it at

May 22, 2019, 8:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Let's put a friendly wager on those 15 carries... ]

our level BUT they can't do the needed reads on blocking - so they won't play that much.

DR gets 100 carries - and I'm IN on the wager . . . 15 or less - 30 to 55 - 55 to 100

Who's in - big mouth 62 percenter outrageous ? ? ? ? You in big talker betty crocker ?

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Wow. You were fired up when you wrote that, huh?

May 23, 2019, 1:28 AM

Are you saying if Rencher gets 100 carries or less you'll pay me $500?

cool!

May 22, 2019, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Let's put a friendly wager on those 15 carries... ]

How about we do it like this:

If Darien gets over 30 carries, then I will pay you 500 dollars. If he get less than 30 carries, the you pay me the 500 canolies.

Interested?

Re: cool!

May 22, 2019, 1:42 PM

done! of course it goes without saying that injury changes things and we'll have to agree to disagree

Message was edited by: Knuck®

Noted. Thanks Knuck. I guess we'll be chatting thoughout the

May 22, 2019, 3:31 PM

season.

definitely!***

May 22, 2019, 5:51 PM

And by the way, you do know what "canolies" are intended

May 22, 2019, 5:59 PM

to mean, right?

Re: And by the way, you do know what "canolies" are intended

May 23, 2019, 12:35 PM

no, I don't know exactly what they are other than some kind of italian food, but I did notice that you put the dollars on me and the canolies on you... that didn't get by me... LOL

is there a slang meaning for canolies?

May 22, 2019, 1:36 PM

Maybe DK can take some snaps at RB too....??

May 22, 2019, 4:04 PM

The two things I worry about is pass blocking and ball security. All of these guys can run and I think our line may be better this year at run blocking than in years past. How much either freshman plays will depend of those two things. For the record I like Dukes and expect him to surprise some Tiger fans.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2019, 4:08 PM

A QUOZZEL NOVEL ON DARRIEN RENCHER. WOW IS ABOUT ALL I GOT FOR THAT. AND A GOOD LMFAO.

User Logo
quozzel
110%er [9045]
TigerPulse: 100%
Can we get 100+ carries & 500+ yards out of Darien Rencher? [5]
Posted: May 21, 2019 12:13 PM

Clemson's got a subtle but definite problem at RB for 2019: our RB stable from 2018 has been cut in half. We return arguably our two most-talented and explosive backs, yes, in Etienne and Lyn-J Dixon (who averaged a whopping 8.8 yards a carry to Etienne's mind-boggling 8.1), but gone are Adam Choice's 77 carries and 548 yards, as well as Tavien Feaster's 78 carries and 440 yards (as well as Feaster's 11 catches for 71 yards), which means that's 171 touches and 1059 yards of production Clemson is going to have to replace.

Some of that will happen because Lyn-J Dixon is going to get more touches, which looks like a good thing, because Lyn-J Dixon looks like a potentially elite back himself and like Etienne he can house it from anywhere at anytime and always looked like a big play waiting to happen. More Dixon sounds awesome, actually.

The problem is that neither guy is a pounding, blue-collar, smack-you-in-the-mouth RB like Adam Choice was, and none of Clemson's backs have Feaster's natural hands out of the backfield and none of them look like natural third-down backs like Feaster was. And then there's the fact that there's just two dudes left.

We're bringing in two freshman backs in Chez Mellusi and Michael Dukes, true, but true freshmen RB's tend to get their QB's killed in pass-pro. And I really doubt either guy is likely to be instant impact anyhow...I love Mellusi's upside and think he's Wayne Gallman Mark II - tall, runs upright, runs angry, and accelerates 0-60 in the blink of an eye - but he's also Wayne Gallman in the fact that he's converting from an option-style offense and his instinct is going to be to dance east-west down the line instead of sticking his foot in the ground and going north-south between the tackles, and he's only around 175 coming out of high school...I think Mellusi helps us a lot more in 2020 than he does in 2019. And Dukes looks like a tough, hard-nosed, blue-collar guy who will be more of a platoon guy than a feature back...again, not an immediate answer for 2019.

That leaves former walk-on Darien Rencher as the only holdover scholarship guy on the roster, and while Dixon is probably going to come close to doubling his touch total (call it 120 touches, maybe more) that still leaves 80+ and probably closer to 100 or even 120 carries for Rencher, since the last thing you're going to want to be doing is running the legs off Etienne and Dixon if you want them to arrive in the playoffs in any kind of good health. And if either of that duo miss time that total could climb in a heckuva hurry.

Which means, once again, even with Clemson's lauded recruiting classes a big part of the season is going to hinge on the value the staff can extract from a former walk-on.

Can he do it? I actually think he might can, since Rencher has actually looked like a capable if not spectacular guy in spot duty...but again, Clemson will be asking - and needing - a largely unrecruited local walk-on from TL Hannah to tote the rock 100+ times this year, and generate at least 500+ yards in production in the process...because those carries could well mean the difference between Etienne and Dixon arriving to the playoffs with fresh legs or gimping in with the tread worn off their tires.

It's a big ask. And if Clemson is to repeat in 2019, Rencher's almost going to have to deliver. Interesting, yeah?

His first paragraph adds more to this site than your last

May 22, 2019, 8:07 PM

100 posts combined.

so - carry on.

Re: His first paragraph adds more to this site than your last

May 22, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quozell's nice use of punctuation in a single sentence offers more value than dumbroberts entire 20-year posting history on TigerNet.

I would post a smiley face if that were an exaggeration, but it's not.

May 22, 2019, 6:13 PM

Honestly, I believe Dukes will be more serviceable than you're giving him credit. Losing Feaster is such an unnecessary loss (if it happens) but I think we will be just fine in any case.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2019, 1:36 AM

No and he isnt needed to do that. We have 3 quality rb's.

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic