Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does last night's loss show how bad a coach Brownell is?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Does last night's loss show how bad a coach Brownell is?

Feb 15, 2018, 10:46 AM

I was on the Fire Brownell bandwagon after last season and usually love a chance to prove myself right, but last night's loss is not something to go crazy about - it happens all the time in college basketball.

It happened in Tallahassee when OP was our coach and we didn't go crazy then. It was actually the same season Ogelsby knocked down a 3 to complete our epic comeback against Maryland and their fans didn't say how bad Gary Williams was. It happened against Villanova in the first round of the NCAA tourney in Tampa and we didn't want to fire OP then either.

We were on fire in the first half and then cooled off in the second and they caught fire. It happens and it is hard to judge early in a run if you need to change things or see how it plays out in the momentum swings. We kept our course in the first half when our lead evaporated and stretched it back out before the half. We came out in the second half doing the same thing and stretched it out to our biggest lead. Then two fluke plays gave them 5 straight points and they started hitting shots they had missed all game (including 20 ft fade aways that about touched the rafters from their big guy).

The refs called lots of fouls in the first half, putting our guys in foul trouble, put weren't calling fouls in the second. I thought it was a little in their favor, but of course I'm a Clemson fan and would probably see balanced officiating a little against us. I thought we got fouled at the end, but am always in favor of not letting a bad call determine a game. Mitchell getting hammered should have been a foul, whether or not it was after a clean block (look at all the fouls called on 3 pters after the shot) - it's crazy that they are reviewing whether it was a flagrant 2 when no personal foul was called.

They got really aggressive on defense and coincidentally the floor was slick, which made it very hard to attack the press. I'm not sure why no one could dribble or stay on their feet, but it was definitely something unusual there.

Finally, Brownell isn't just trying to win one game at a time, but also preparing us for post-season play, something we haven't seen in a long time. When I used to play at Fike as a student at Clemson during the offseason, many basketball players would come play, too, and I was always surprised how dominant the players were at Fike, but never saw any action playing on the team. It takes a while for freshmen to gain their confidence and find their shots in real time action. I'm sure Brownell sees a lot in them in practice and has to find a way to give them space to find their potential in a real live game. Losing Grantham has put more pressure on him to get them ready to contribute earlier than he probably predicted. I try to keep that in mind every time Sims, Skara, Trapp, or Donnell throws up a shot that I feel was a poor selection after they miss (or course I don't question it when they make it).

Any win on the road in the ACC is going to be tough and we almost managed to get this one back. Brownell cannot control every aspect of the game, the officiating, the other team's performance, or how the ball bounces off the rim. Statistically, he has put us on the winning side of many close games and last night just happened to not be one of them. Is getting down big early and coming back to lose a close game any better than blowing a big lead? Is barely beating a bad team early in the season not more cause for alarm?

Hopefully Dabo told Brownell to be careful, even sitting at #2 in the ACC and predicted to be a 3 seed in the tourney, because even after winning a national championship, the first loss the following season set off all the critics that demand perfection every game. I'm as guilty as anyone at looking at the schedule and assuming we're going to drop a bunch of games and wonder if we can still make the tournament if we lose out. Maybe we just need to enjoy what these kids are working hard to achieve and show a little more confidence in them, based on their track record this season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does last night's loss show how bad a coach Brownell is?

Feb 15, 2018, 1:23 PM

Dabo is not in Brad's ear about being careful sitting at #2 in the ACC. Brad is perfectly capable of knowing the situation this team is in.

You are looking way too hard to find flaws in our basketball program. The ACC is the premier basketball conference in America every single year. I will even pit us up against the overrated Big 12 this year. That being said, rough wins are tough to come by and we let one get away from us last night. This game against Duke will be the biggest game our program has played in years but we will rise to the occasion.

Feb 15, 2018, 4:19 PM

When was the last time these two teams were both ranked when they played, and with Clemson ranked higher?

No

Feb 15, 2018, 1:26 PM

It shows that not taking care of the ball will lose games. Avoiding turnovers is not coachable.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”

? John Wayne

Feb 15, 2018, 1:49 PM

Most unsettling for me as far as coaching goes: Tigers up by 1 in ot with plenty of time on the clock. On 3 straight possessions, CBB has our guard sit on the ball at half court before running the offense. Less than 10 seconds left on the shot clock before we started moving to the basket. WHY? We got off a rushed shot on each occasion. Why are we melting the clock there? Run the offense.Who knows, maybe we get an easy backdoor lay-up or other uncontested shot.
Players miss shots and turn the ball over.That's going to happen, but mental lapses like the inbounds violation and tentative offensive possessions throughout overtime, i'm sorry, but that's on the coach.

Feb 15, 2018, 1:53 PM

FSU had picked up the pace considerably and was hot at that point, thus their comeback from 18 down.

Conversely, we were not scoring well at all.

Hindsight will allow you to dissect it, but holding the ball was not just a lapse in judgement. It was a calculated move, and not a bad one at that.

Trying to score quickly, and failing to do so since we were on a cold streak, could have also allowed them to win by 10.

Message was edited by: CtLiEgMeSrOsN®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2018, 2:11 PM

I see your point, but with 8 seconds left on the shot clock with the ball in possession at midcourt, it's just not enough time to get any kind of good look. Defenses tend to overplay the passing lanes in tight games down the stretch, especially when they're down in ot. Why not try to run a backdoor? If it's not there, show patience, continue to run the clock down and wait for something later in the clock. I just feel like we wasted too many possessions in ot without getting off many good shots.

Undoubtedly the poster doesn’t watch any other teams

Feb 15, 2018, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Does last night's loss show how bad a coach Brownell is? ]

play. The vast majority will wait until about 10 seconds left on the shot clock before running the play. Sometimes they make the shot, sometimes they don’t which is what happens on Every possession.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ran the great play for Devoe off a double screen

Feb 15, 2018, 5:18 PM

up 2 with under a minute left in regulation. He makes the wide open three it's over with. He missed for a change. That play began with about 10 on the shot clock

Might have been to our advantage to slow the game down

Feb 15, 2018, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Does last night's loss show how bad a coach Brownell is? ]

FSU clearly had the momentum heading into overtime. The crowd wanted to be in the game. May or may not have been the right call, but our strategy could have been to shorten overtime by using all the shot clock.

I'm not saying it was or wasn't the right strategy, but teams also play a little less aggressively when the shot clock is low, not wanting to pick up a cheap foul to bail the offense out. There aggressiveness definitely had us rattled, fumbling passes, falling down, stepping on half court, dribbling over the baseline, etc.

No the entire season shows his coaching capabilities

Feb 15, 2018, 2:58 PM

and if you forgot we are currently 20-5

Feb 15, 2018, 7:33 PM

His whole body of Work shows he is an AVG coach .
One decent season proves nothing.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic