Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Next year, regression and rebuilding
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,746

Next year, regression and rebuilding

Jan 14, 2020, 10:15 AM

I’ve been accused of being a sunshine pumper so keep that in mind...we lose ETN, Tee, and 4 of 5 OL. This was the year offensively that we should have imposed our will on any team, including LSU.

It won’t be easy to get back to the playoffs in 2020. Defensively, our line beefs up but we lose everyone else but Kendrick. Next year will be a rebuilding year and expectations should probably be tempered. Gosh...that was the harsh thought I woke up with at 3am this morning.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have the #1 recruiting class coming in this year

Jan 14, 2020, 10:19 AM

Lots of red shirted studs. Trevor will be laser focused. He doesn't like to lose.

We will blow through the ACC. After that, it will depend on player development and some luck.

I think we will be better...

Jan 14, 2020, 10:24 AM

I agree OL may step back.

This year, our weakness was defensive front. Venables is a genius to accomplish what he did this year. Who else could completely adjust his defense like he did, playing to his players’ strengths, and have the success we had? Most coaches would simply go with their system regardless of the personnel.

I think part of it is recruiting (we shouldn’t have a year with that bad of a deficit at one position) and part of it is unexpected attrition and some players not developing as quickly.

That is the reason I am so excited about this recruiting class - not because it is number one, but because it most completely fills needs that we have. I feel like some of our classes are heavy on skill positions. We have a great group of DL and LBs coming in. Heck, OL is strong in this class.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think we will be better...

Jan 14, 2020, 10:32 AM

I totally agree this recruiting class will be a boost but skill position is where true freshmen usually make the biggest impact. The lines and especially linebackers rarely play as freshmen at any school because of the physical development needed and ability to learn the schemes takes time. We saw last night that a true freshman can shut down All American receivers but do we have those types of DBs coming in? We better hope because Kvon and Isaiah played nearly all the snaps at safety this year.

I agree, but with the caveat that I'm not sure these dudes

Jan 14, 2020, 10:38 AM [ in reply to I think we will be better... ]

will be ready to make a huge impact in 2020. I'm sure we will get some instant impact on the DL from guys like Bresee, but true FR Bresee isn't going to be nearly as good as SO or JR Bresee. And the OL.. man it's difficult to count on a true FR OL contributing anything at all. We will probably get one solid contributor out of the bunch for 2020 and then really see the benefits starting in 2021.

Re: I agree, but with the caveat that I'm not sure these dudes

Jan 14, 2020, 10:48 AM

I think Bresee and Murphy come in and make immediate impact...at least giving some much needed depth. Of course if they aren’t better as SO and JR we have a problem.

And yes, OL will need more time to develop. The Tchio (sic) might be one of the few exceptions, and we’ve had a couple, who might be ready to go. Again, he will get better.

As I agreed with OP, it’s going to be hard to replace the experience on the OL this year. That is the biggest hit we take.

ETN will leave a hole as well, but I think it’s next man up at most everywhere else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only position on the OL I'm concerned about

Jan 14, 2020, 10:55 AM [ in reply to I think we will be better... ]

is C. I think Bockhorst and Putnam will be fine at G, and McFadden will emerge at RT. Depth will be young so need to stay healthy.

I dont think ETN is sure fire to leave, all depends on his draft grade. I think he should, as RB's have a limited shelf life.

I expect Galloway at TE to be a major factor in the offense next year, something we haven't had for a few years.

Terrell has the most interesting decision regarding the draft. Before last night I would have said he's gone. But he was overmatched last night, I think he needs another year. If he returns our defensive backfield could again be a strength even though we'll be rotating in new players. Kendrick will have another year at DB. Turner is solid. 5 stars Booth and Fred Davis should have an impact, as well as Goodrich, and we've recruited well at S the last 2 years.

DL begins getting back to where we're used to it being next year.

No step back IMO. This was a very young team. Young guys get better

Dixon, Ngata and Ladson need to step up big time***

Jan 14, 2020, 10:26 AM

Re: Dixon, Ngata and Ladson need to step up big time***

Jan 14, 2020, 10:34 AM

I would add Ross as well. Maybe my memory is tainted by last years playoffs but I was surprisingly underwhelmed this year.

Jeff Scott is gone.***

Jan 14, 2020, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Dixon, Ngata and Ladson need to step up big time*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Given the current state of the ACC a rebuilding year

Jan 14, 2020, 10:35 AM

should be 12-1 or 13-0 and quite possibly another playoff appearance. We need to win the game in South Bend.

Re: Next year, regression and rebuilding

Jan 14, 2020, 10:39 AM

we will be fine. :)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

Jan 14, 2020, 10:54 AM

We’ve got the depth. We will be fine.

Thank god for Breese and Murphy...is it safe to say now that XT is a bust?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Capehart as well

Jan 14, 2020, 10:58 AM

No XT isn't a bust. Big difference in playing DE in a 3 and 4 man front. He's a 4 man front DE

Jan 14, 2020, 10:57 AM

hmmm...Vegas says Clemson top favorite. You should let them know.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,746
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic