Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Venables looking for toughness, chemistry from his defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

New Story: Venables looking for toughness, chemistry from his defense

Jul 21, 2016, 7:01 AM

Venables looking for toughness, chemistry from his defense

Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables doesn’t exactly know what to expect from his unit this season. But he certainly has the keys down for what he’s focusing on this preseason: physical and mental toughness and chemistry. (Photo by Mark Crammer) Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Venables looking for toughness, chemistry from his defense

Jul 21, 2016, 8:32 AM

We've got a handful of really good players. If we can just have a couple of surprise players show up we could be a really good defense this year! If Venables can whip this group into shape that's anywhere near comparable to the last two years we need to crown him King!

Jul 21, 2016, 12:39 PM

Yes we lost a lot of starters off our D two years straight, and yes that would destroy schools that wasn't getting the same big time talent that we have been getting. Even for us it really hurts with us losing the amount of Seniors, but adding to that loss was just as many Juniors. Losing that many Juniors is like knocking a bunch of holes in the bottom of a boat, and trying to make repairs with a cheap patch. BUT, our freshman and sophomores are the very good better made patches, We may not have the #1 defense, I think that we will have a top 25 D. We can win the big game with a top 25-30 defenses with us having a TOP 1-3 offenses in the country. If they stay focused the way last years team did, we can win the Blue Ribbon!!! I believe that bc I believe in the cook mixing the ingredients and turning up the heat on the defense!!! Gooooo B Vvvv, we believe in our DC, a cook that bakes without the sugar to make it nasty!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We've got talent everywhere. A lot of it is just young

Jul 21, 2016, 9:03 AM

Our DT and LB rotations are going to be filthy this year. I see no team that will be able to run up the middle against us with any kind of consistency. DE is young but talented. I really like Bryant and Ferrell together with Yeargin and Xavier Kelly when he comes in as backups. Tankersly and Jadar Johnson will be good as both has a wealth of experience. I'm not sure about Van Smith and whomever is playing across from Tankersly. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Mullen grabs that spot in fall camp if Fields and Edmonds aren't up to the task. If Wiggins returns fully healthy I think he'll take over the other safety position ahead of Van Smith

Defense as a whole makes me nervous this year. Last our backups had tons of field time which

Jul 21, 2016, 9:10 AM

Showed when they got their turn to start. But our backups now that will be our starters this season will be on the job training.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Take comfort in that we can stop the run

Jul 21, 2016, 9:51 AM

With our DT rotation and LB talent it's going to be hard to run up the gut against us. Also having strong DTs means they can collapse the pocket and eat up double teams giving our young DEs more opportunities against one on one matchups.

If you can turn any offense one dimensional you are placing a huge strain on them. If we consistently take away the run we force team to march to the beat of our drum, not theirs

What about the new secondary? They might be able to burn us deep***

Jul 21, 2016, 10:56 AM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Re: What about the new secondary? They might be able to burn us deep***

Jul 21, 2016, 11:12 AM

Depends on what kind of pass rush we can generate to take pressure off secondary. Unfortunately, that and the secondary are our main question marks. We have a full stable of young horses...we just don't know what they can do yet. Last season the defense started strong and sort of tapered off later for whatever reason. I think this year is the opposite. Growing pains at DE and secondary early and then a force to be reckoned with late season. We may have to survive a shootout or two along the way but I think we have the offense to play that game with anybody in the country.

Agreed. We'll most likely be blitzing a lot early on

Jul 21, 2016, 11:23 AM

I have high confidence that Ferrell and Bryant are going to be great one day but Boulware will probably blitz every other play against Auburn.

I have confidence in Tankersly and Jadar Johnson to play just fine. We just need Van Smith to grow up, or Wiggins to come back fully healthy, and the other CB spot to get filled. I'm thinking Mullen will push for PT

Re: Agreed. We'll most likely be blitzing a lot early on

Jul 21, 2016, 12:47 PM

For sure, if our front seven can put the pressure we believe they can and will, we won't have to cover many deep balls, bc the QB won't have the time to wait on receivers to get deep.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agreed. We'll most likely be blitzing a lot early on

Jul 21, 2016, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Agreed. We'll most likely be blitzing a lot early on ]

I can't way for Big Dex and Wilkins playing side by side along with Watson and Ferrell creating Holy Havoc turning Boulware, Lamar, and Dorian M.loose.
The secondary should benefit from what's upfront of them.

Jul 21, 2016, 10:16 AM

CBV solidified his status as one of the best in the game of DC'ing last year . He molds . He works quickly . He puts a team on the field that will give great effort and run to the whistle .
I have zero doubt that this defense will be top 15 by midseason , maybe top 10 by the end .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 21, 2016, 10:51 AM

I agree. Brent has proven himself over and over. I wouldn't trade him for any other DC in the NCAA, and I'm so thankful he came to Clemson!

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2016, 11:28 AM

There was an article written on here a while back about possible redshirts for the upcoming season and I found it interesting that K'von Wallace and Trayvon Mullen were both listed as possible redshirts for this year. I know it was just a prediction but to even suggest that two of our best secondary recruits from this past class would be redshirted made me believe that our secondary might not have as many questions as we believe. If we were really in dire need of players these two guys wouldn't even be in the conversation for a possible redshirt. That being said I think both guys play some snaps this year

Jul 21, 2016, 12:51 PM

Good Coaches don't brag to fans and the media about how good they think they maybe. They let their guys show them better than they can tell them!!!

Chemistry from his defense?

Jul 21, 2016, 12:42 PM

We're not trying to win a science fair, Brent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Chemistry from his defense?

Jul 21, 2016, 2:25 PM

The right DNA (Biology) + the best education (Coaching) + the correct movements (Physics) + the perfect mix (Chemistry) = the desired results (WINS). Goooo Tigers!!!!!

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic