Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Surprises dot the first release of post-spring depth chart
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

New Story: Surprises dot the first release of post-spring depth chart

May 23, 2018, 2:57 PM

Surprises dot the first release of post-spring depth chart

Clemson released the post-spring depth chart Wednesday afternoon and there are a few surprises to go along with what we expected, especially at running back and a few spots on the defense. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see zero surprises.***

May 23, 2018, 3:31 PM

JD Davis v Skalski

May 23, 2018, 4:04 PM

Go back and watch the USC game. Our defense played great. Davis got banged up real early, and Skalski went in for the rest of the game. For the Alabama, go back and watch the results when JD Davis was playing and watch the results when Skalski is in there. Not even close. Other than politics, I don't see what the coaches are seeing. I don't care about making 10 tackles against a lower level opponent, and it is how you handle the surge of an offensive line like Alabama and get off a block to make a play.

Re: JD Davis v Skalski

May 23, 2018, 4:12 PM

Davis looked way better than Skalski from the games I have seen.

May 23, 2018, 4:19 PM

I am not talking about we had Lamar healthy. Once he went down, that moved Joseph to the middle and put JD in there. Just watch those two games and get back to us.

Then you need to rewatch them, Davis is limited***

May 24, 2018, 12:29 AM [ in reply to Re: JD Davis v Skalski ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2018, 4:33 PM [ in reply to JD Davis v Skalski ]

Okay, I'll bite. Who are you saying is the better player?? I just haven't looked into that aspect of our game as much as you have, so what are we doing on this site?? Playing twenty questions??? Who are you talking about?? Names, please. Jeez!

May 25, 2018, 4:37 PM

Okay, you seem to have answered it after I posted. Could you possibly give some detail regarding your opinion. I'm not challenging it, but would simply appreciate the info. Thanks

Re: I see zero surprises.***

May 23, 2018, 4:09 PM [ in reply to I see zero surprises.*** ]

I don't know, that Christian fellow is suspect. :) Pretty much what I expected. Anywhere that anyone flipped positions was a close battle to begin with.

May 25, 2018, 4:40 PM

What Christian fellow? Again, this 20 questions BS. Again, is a low-budget reiteration of the show 20 questions?? What is all the mystery about?

May 23, 2018, 4:11 PM [ in reply to I see zero surprises.*** ]

Wonder if Joseph goes back to W and Lamar starts at M?

May 25, 2018, 4:46 PM

I've given it careful thought, and I really believe that A will transfer to U, and G will likely transfer to us from the U of X, but we have a real shot a landing B form E HS. We are at the top of the list for DU from PV. I hope this clears everything up.

ETN being named 1st string this early

May 24, 2018, 4:46 AM [ in reply to I see zero surprises.*** ]

is a surprise to me. He is going to end up being one of our all time greats, but I didn't expect him to be first sting for a few games

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ETN being named 1st string this early

May 25, 2018, 4:58 PM

He can put on a bit of weight, and still not lose any appreciable speed. Walt Deptula has projected him as likely to be he greatest running back ever to play at Clemson. Okay, before you hang me out to dry, I'm just passing along an opinion from a guy who makes his living analyzing this stuff. I'd say that I grudgingly agree, granted the Etienne does his work in the weight room. We have a freshman RB coming in who is already at 220, who is supposed to be he$$ on wheels. And don't forget Adam Choice. Nice problem to have.

Re: New Story: Surprises dot the first release of post-spring depth chart

May 23, 2018, 4:02 PM

I would love to know where Belk would have been without the transfer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL, let it go...

May 23, 2018, 4:20 PM

Mr. Belk no longer exists as part of our team, his current position is clueless and left behind. We don't need to hate him, having our team pound his team every season he's with them and for him to realize what he had in his grasp and let go should be punishment enough. ¯\_(?)_/¯

Re: LOL, let it go...

May 23, 2018, 5:13 PM

I predict Lamar will move back and start.

May 25, 2018, 5:03 PM [ in reply to LOL, let it go... ]

Has he ended up at Carolina? I've always believed that his feints at SEC schools were nothing more than diversionary, but I may be wrong.

May 25, 2018, 5:11 PM [ in reply to LOL, let it go... ]

Why waste the energy in hating him? We don't need him. Given the apparent conflictions in his character, I suspect that he would have been a dissident influence in our dressing room. I really don't wish him well---I don't wish him anything, since he no longer occupies any part of my active conscious thought. Another fat kid being buffeted about by forces beyond his control or understanding.

Thoughts

May 23, 2018, 6:44 PM

Jackson Carman...Once he drops weight, "LOOK OUT!!"

John Simpson....He's going be good, REAL GOOD!

Big time Tight end, he's on the way (019 class)

Feaster, co 2nd string? Already

Chase- He's going surprise some ppl, IMO

XThomas and Henry....Could they RS?

Isaih Simmons....Case you don't know, he's going be a star**

Re: Thoughts

May 25, 2018, 5:13 PM

Great post. But can we really afford the redshirts that you mention? Just asking

May 23, 2018, 6:45 PM

I'm not sure why we recruit 5 star players since they don't always get to play.

KB listed as the starter after that dismal performance during the Spring Game is a Joke.

May 23, 2018, 7:20 PM

Sure. You can voice your opinion , but I’ll stick with the coaches opinion, one season removed from a natty.

May 23, 2018, 8:08 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Surprises dot the first release of post-spring depth chart ]

Agreed

May 23, 2018, 9:07 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Surprises dot the first release of post-spring depth chart ]

Going back to when I was a football manager... This was when Frank Howard roamed the sidelines. But I saw same thing after spring practice back then.
There were some positions that there was never any doubt who was first team.
There were always some who maybe underperformed in spring at least in coaches eyes. Guess what, they dropped on the chart.
Some "superstars" needed a wake-up call. Some of them never lived up to their billing.
Some came out of nowhere and moved up and stayed there.

To me this says some have some more work to do either in technique or in proving they can lead.
Some coming back from injury need to show they have recovered
Some need to learn more of the playbook.
And don't forget, this has been published. All our opponents have seen it. They better enjoy it because until the first game, we probably won't see another depth chart. Some things our opponents can count on like the O-Line probably and the D-line.

At QB I see the following:(IMHO)
KB -you are at # 1 because you are seen as a leader in the locker room and you were the man last year, don't want to upset the team chemistry yet. But I know he has seen film, knows what has gone on in practice, and most likely, has been told what he better work on.
TL-Make sure you spend summer wisely.Build confidence with your teammates, but don't put down KB. Learn all you can, show you can be a leader and be ready to go. And here is a list of what to work on.
CB -Keep up the good work, Get better, and above all, be ready to go at a moments notice.

Frank Howard was a master motivator. ACC rules hurt us in southern football. He is still the winningest coach in Clemson history, but will soon be second unless something happens to Dabo. He would get your attention with the depth chart and if you went down you had to bust your butt to get back. And there was a new depth chart posted everyday.

May 24, 2018, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Surprises dot the first release of post-spring depth chart ]

We recruit 5 star players for the same reason that we recruit all players—the coaches have evaluated them to have a high level of talent, they fulfill a need on our depth chart, and the coaches believe that they will fit in with the culture of Clemson football. The coaching staff does their own evaluations of players and does not rely on star ratings. The rankings of prospects by the Clemson coaching staff can be very different than the rankings of ESPN, Rivals, and 24/7.

If a 5 star player ends up not getting much playing time or gets passed on the depth chart, that is typically either because they failed to meet expectations, were outperformed by a less heralded recruit, or an enrollee from a subsequent class ends up being more talented. It's unfortunate to lose highly touted players since it hurts our depth, but if a 5 star recruit has been passed on the depth chart by another player, I trust that the coaches chose the best player as the starter.

What would you suggest as an alternative to recruiting the most talented players possible and then playing the best available player at each position? I hope that you wouldn't suggest that 5 star recruits be given extra playing time that they didn't earn in an effort to keep them happy so that they won't transfer. I also doubt that you would prefer that we recruit less talented players that would be less inclined to transfer due to lack of playing time simply to preserve our depth.

The fact of the matter is that the coaches recruit the most talented players possible that fit into the Clemson culture. With the vast majority of recruits being blue-chip level in recent years, it's inevitable that some high level recruits will end up getting less playing time than they expected. This is a situation that comes with the territory as an elite recruiter. It is not something that is specific to Clemson.

I prefer that the coaches continue to recruit the best players possible and let the players that perform the best in practice and on film receive the starting spots and the most playing time. IF a former 5 star recruit gets passed on the depth chart and ultimately chooses to transfer, I trust that the player(s) who played ahead of them were given that opportunity because they earned it and were the best available option at their position.

In regards to the QB position, of course I agree that KB didn't look good in the spring game. However, it's important to keep in mind that this is only post-spring depth chart and that the post fall camp depth chart will undoubtedly look different. It's fun to get to see a depth chart at this point to help fill the need for Clemson football related news, but a lot can and likely will change before the season starts. I trust that the coaches will let the best player play at each position based on their performance in practice, understanding of the playbook, and their performance in scrimmages. If KB ends up being the starter at the beginning of the season over TL, then that means that there is a reason for it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2018, 5:56 PM

I'm not sure of your premise. All of the QB's competed on an equal footing in the Spring game, right?? I mean the playing field was 100 yards, equal for all or them, right? And KB had the same opportunity to step up and claim the job as another of the others. Right? Okay, did he do it?? No! He stunk. He sat whimpering on the sideline while TL, a true freshman, lit up the place. This is not my opinion, it is fact. Now, I hear the apologists: Well, Trevor Lawrence doesn't know the play-book. Really, he's had months to learn it, and seemed pretty well in command of it during the Spring game. Any player who comes into a top program like Clemson's and doesn't realize that the best players have to play, shouldn't be competing at this level. We have a generational QB here at Clemson, and if we don't play him, it is a betrayal of the football program, the university, the team, and the fan base.

May 24, 2018, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Surprises dot the first release of post-spring depth chart ]

To obvious not to state. I guess you really cant pass someone on depth chart no matters how much better you look during playing time when everyone can actually watch. I love how they talk about letting the best one get the job and then double back with well "you haven't seen them in a game yet". So basically, if one quarterback has played a season and is decent, his job regardless of how ell you compete

We always seem to struggle with the whole QB decision,

May 25, 2018, 6:05 PM

Okay, so competition doesn't count, just prior game experience? Wow, hard to believe that you would adopt such a position. So losers from last season should start just because they started last season?? No wonder we got our brains beat out in the past. But, I can't even begin to debate this position with you. In your own mind you must be right. Hope, anyway, that you are a Clemson fan.

May 25, 2018, 5:29 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Surprises dot the first release of post-spring depth chart ]

Yeah, makes no since at all. He was exposed, but our staff's cub-scout loyalty to KB apparently caused the second-best QB on our team to transfer, something that will come back to haunt us in the future. Our entire team talent will probably allow us to survive throughout this coming season, although that is not a certainty with a QB who is obviously very average. Totally exposed in the NC game in every respect against a defense with a pulse---decision-making, passing, everything. I like KB, and wish the staff would put him a position where he could have some kind of future in the NFL: i.e. wide receiver or RB. But, I don't make the big bucks, so I must be wrong. Anyone watch the spring game??

linebacker corp

May 23, 2018, 7:18 PM

Is deep for miles

Re: linebacker corp

May 25, 2018, 5:31 PM

Details? Thanks.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive