Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Sunday night update: Conservative playcalling and rankings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

New Story: Sunday night update: Conservative playcalling and rankings

Oct 4, 2015, 7:23 PM

Sunday night update: Conservative playcalling and rankings

How impressed is head coach Dabo Swinney with Clemson’s No. 6 national ranking? Not very. Swinney admitted during his Sunday afternoon teleconference that he doesn’t even know who was ranked sixth in last week’s poll. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Sunday night update: Conservative playcalling and rankings

Oct 4, 2015, 7:30 PM

:)

Conservative playcalling

Oct 4, 2015, 7:43 PM

Does Dabo understand that even the best defenses need a rest? We went three and out the entire fourth quarter. Hence the comeback. We only have a one deep defense this year. We need to run clock when it's time to run clock. Then we will be great! Just like Bama

Re: Conservative playcalling

Oct 4, 2015, 7:45 PM

absolutely agree with all U said...and no one can run into a 9 man def/line

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Defense played 65 plays. Gave up 200 yards

Oct 4, 2015, 7:48 PM [ in reply to Conservative playcalling ]

In the 4th not because they were tired, but because they flat blew coverages

They were gassed in the 4th, even coot and idiots could see

Oct 15, 2017, 7:36 PM

that

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They were gassed because they blew coverages

Jun 15, 2017, 9:42 PM

and we're chasing guys running 40-50 yard sprints to catch them. ND didn't have 50 plays coming in to the 4th quarter, so no, they were not gassed in the sense you are speaking of

gassed because of lack of line and linebacker depth!***

Oct 5, 2015, 1:00 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least now you ARE admitting they were tired...it's a

Oct 5, 2015, 11:48 AM [ in reply to They were gassed because they blew coverages ]

start

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They were gassed because they blew coverages

Oct 5, 2015, 11:53 AM [ in reply to They were gassed because they blew coverages ]

Um, I think the argument could certainly be made that they blew coverages because they were gassed. When your offense is just going 3 & out nonstop, the defense is going to get gassed.

Defense ha played less than 50 snaps entering 4th quarter

Oct 5, 2015, 1:07 PM

guess we need to start the blame Batson threads if they were tired

I thought the same thing after ND started coming back,

Oct 4, 2015, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Conservative playcalling ]

but it's always easy with the benefit of hindsight. After considering the weather, and the fact that we had dominated both lines of scrimmage for 3 quarters, it made perfect sense at the time.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I still think with the weather what it was running the ball

Oct 4, 2015, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Conservative playcalling ]

in the 4th was the right call.

Both teams had WRs dropping balls all night.

There was a very real risk of a tipped ball going the other way. Incompletions stop the clock and save ND timeouts.

I think going 'conservative' was the smart plan last night.

Now, down the road if we're playing a game like that at home in 68 degree weather, I'd say we need to go for the jugular but not in the monsoon we had last night.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

have fun with your shamecocks having a losing season***

Oct 4, 2015, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Conservative playcalling ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He at least owned up to it

Oct 4, 2015, 8:14 PM [ in reply to Conservative playcalling ]

that should be (I hope) a sign of learning from your mistakes.

Oct 4, 2015, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Conservative playcalling ]

Your feathers are showing

Bwak Bwak Bwak

I don't think he understands that at all, maybe you could

Oct 5, 2015, 5:28 AM [ in reply to Conservative playcalling ]

send him an email and explain it to him. That way he could change so it doesn't happen again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2015, 6:54 AM [ in reply to Conservative playcalling ]

How about giving ND some credit for stringing together some good plays and their OL giving time to put them together. We were shutting them down all night, and it really took some luck for them to be able to put it all together so well in the 4th quarter. Good teams can do this. Clemson was strong enough to hold on and fight them off in the end and still win.

That sliding catch was something of beauty for ND, and made me sick to my stomach...because we HAD them covered. Great play.

Same thing that happened against UGA last year.

Oct 5, 2015, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Conservative playcalling ]

Except this time we survived.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2015, 7:52 PM

So they were looking ahead to GT while prepping for ND? That's what the article said.

Oct 4, 2015, 7:59 PM

I'm sure they did mix in some GaTech.
They sixteen days to prep why not mix in some?

Oct 4, 2015, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Sunday night update: Conservative playcalling and rankings ]

I think he meant that since he had 16 days to get ready for ND instead of the usual amount, he could prepare a little for the different type of offense. In fewer words.

Looking ahead to GT?

Oct 4, 2015, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Sunday night update: Conservative playcalling and rankings ]

Read the article again. They were NOT "looking ahead to GT." In preparing for ND and watching film of them, they also got to see GT because ND played them. When you analyze a team in film study, you look to see what their opponent did and how the focus team reacted. So voila!

Re: Are we really built

Oct 4, 2015, 8:18 PM

to run the clock out? I personally think we need a little more beef in the OL. We have the type offense that is hard to let off the gas. However, I will take a win in any shape or form.

Oct 4, 2015, 8:28 PM

Where we fell short on that was earlier, late in third quarter when we were snapping the ball with around 20 seconds left on the play clock. If we had taken an extra 10 off each snap, the last TD ND made might not have happened.

Oct 5, 2015, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Are we really built ]

we have the best OL since Dabo has been HC...... The Freshmen and Sophomores will beef up....

Re: Looking ahead to GT?

Oct 5, 2015, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Looking ahead to GT? ]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oct 4, 2015, 8:39 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Sunday night update: Conservative playcalling and rankings ]

It's pretty obvious that ND played GT recently so both teams were in the films we were studying... there was no "looking ahead", it was purely coincidental that they got some studying in on both teams like that.

Oct 4, 2015, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Sunday night update: Conservative playcalling and rankings ]

I don't think they were "looking ahead" when Dabo mentioned seeing GA Tech some in their preparations, I think that was the case because Tech played (and lost to) ND the week prior. Seems obvious that they would study that game for takeaways from both teams.

Oct 5, 2015, 2:12 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Sunday night update: Conservative playcalling and rankings ]

It said they got to study georgia tech while preparing for notre dame...maybe because notre dame had played them already?! Duh!

Idk why we didn't try to run a few WR screens towards the end

Oct 4, 2015, 8:30 PM

The run game was getting stuffed, we should of tried something different. WR screens usually seem work for us and getting positive yardage. I know, let the changes do there job but this is just my opinion on what we should have done

Re: Idk why we didn't try to run a few WR screens towards the end

Oct 4, 2015, 8:40 PM

Well it's more likely to get picked in that situation. I think we just went with too many slow developing QB runs instead of simply letting Gallman bulldoze through.

Re: Idk why we didn't try to run a few WR screens towards the end

Oct 4, 2015, 9:15 PM

Scott holds onto that TD and we are discussing this. I'm glad we went conservative and didn't turn the ball over in the fourth like they did. They had to go balls out just to tie it and they took a lot of risks and turned the ball over a lot. The weather was so much worse in the second half. I agree with trying to hold a lead but when you are doing that, you can't go hurry up just to run up the gut. You gotta let that clock run. I will still say that that was the most fun I've ever had at a Clemson game in the 30 years I've been attending. Something felt special last night. It's almost like the rain wasn't there for the crowd. Bring on the jackets.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

right***

Oct 4, 2015, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Idk why we didn't try to run a few WR screens towards the end ]

Oct 4, 2015, 8:39 PM

If we would have won by 30 people would be saying "why did we play our starters in that weather so long"....some people are never happy. The guy behind me last night didn't make a sound the whole game until we made a mistake...then he had plenty to say. We're not great yet, but we are good and learning to be great. I'll probably be criticized as well. Bring it! Go Tigers! See you next week

Yep, you are right!***

Oct 4, 2015, 8:43 PM

I absolutely have the answer

Oct 4, 2015, 9:41 PM

Leave the coaching to Dabo and Crew. So glad you guys don't coach the game. 41-0 when going in to 4th qtr with a lead. There is a formula with this coaching staff and it works. The psychological aspect that started with Coach Swinney instilling the belief in his players that they can win under any circumstance is no doubt the confidence that they carry into any game. And I am so glad he doesn't waste his time taking suggestions from the peanut gallery. Great teams rise and fall with leadership. We have an outstanding leader and though we like to second guess decisions from the staff at times, there is not a fan on this site that wants to win more than the least of the coaches. Just keepin it real....

AMEN! ^^^^^^^^***

Oct 5, 2015, 7:46 AM

Re: I absolutely have the answer

Oct 5, 2015, 12:24 PM [ in reply to I absolutely have the answer ]

If you saw Dabo at the end of game... you could see how much he had put into this game as well... he was overcome a little ... took a minute to pray and/or compose himself .... by the time he was talking he was ready .....

So your answer is Dabo is a semi-god?

Oct 5, 2015, 3:22 PM [ in reply to I absolutely have the answer ]

I don't believe anyone (well, maybe a few) doesn't think Dabo is doing a great job so try to understand fans comments in context; just because you make suggestions or don't understand why coaches do certain things, doesn't mean you're suggesting you know everything or that Dabo/staff are morons. There are plenty of people who understand the game and make very salient comments. Dabo is more right than wrong but he is wrong sometimes. Fans that act like he is perfect are not only mindless, they are not looking out for what is best for Clemson.

Let me ask you a question, if we could replay the game, do you think Dabo would change some of his decisions? How about BV? our OC's? Of course they would. So, while every Tiger fan I know is very, very pleased with Dabo, if you want to keep it real, recognize he ain't god.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2015, 11:43 PM

amazing how i was cursed for being aggravated at playcalling last night, and tonight, everyone agrees with me

Oct 5, 2015, 11:18 AM

Yeah cdfrisch. Its all about you... lol

Let's use Zac Brooks like N. O. uses Spiller...one carry for

Oct 5, 2015, 1:39 AM

9 yds and no passes to him that I remember and he is best receiver among the rb's!

Re: Let's use Zac Brooks like N. O. uses Spiller...one carry for

Oct 5, 2015, 11:56 AM

Yea, I don't understand why we're not getting the ball to him more. If we were going to go ultra-conservative with the football, and only the ball, why not Gallman & Brooks in the backfield together and have them pound the rock?

Oct 5, 2015, 6:39 AM

Middle of the field was open and ND exploited that. Our LB's had trouble dropping back in coverage fast enough in the 4th. The defense was tired as they should have been. While I understand the reasons to play conservative, running up the middle seemed like a wasted effort. ND had more trouble with our speed on the edges. Great Tiger win. More game experience and more tape to coach on. Now get ready for the Jackets.

Oct 5, 2015, 6:01 PM

When we ran on 2nd and 5+ resulted in ZERO 1st downs on 2nd and 3rd down, that I can remember

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic