Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Road trip: Is the trip to Louisville worth the effort?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

New Story: Road trip: Is the trip to Louisville worth the effort?

Sep 21, 2015, 7:01 AM

Road trip: Is the trip to Louisville worth the effort?

I love college football road trips and making a first trip to a college football venue is always at the top of the list. For that reason, I was looking forward to last week’s trip to Louisville. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Road trip: Is the trip to Louisville worth the effort?

Sep 21, 2015, 7:21 AM

it is a great trip. we got in the bat factory tour and churchill downs but there were so many things we did not get around to. we got there late wed. also and stayed till saturday. did not get around to any of the bourbon tours.fun trip with lots to do. would happily make the trip back.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2015, 7:58 AM

I guess if the students behave and no ones body paint wears off on you its all good. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thx DH for this informative & detailed post of UL trip..

Sep 21, 2015, 8:13 AM

And that you bet only $3...your Mother-in-Law survived the student body experience & you personally felt the press box area was better than our brand new one. Wish I could have been in Louisville!

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The trip is absolutely worth it

Sep 21, 2015, 9:21 AM

Our crowd hit the Bourbon Trail hard for our free t-shirt, took the Louisville Slugger tour, and tried plenty of fantastic local food options. It's always nice to walk away with a win but even if our Tigers had lost, the trip would have been a success with my group.

You're spot on with the Louisville fans being receptive. Everyone I encountered all week went out of their way to be nice and welcoming. Several tour guides at the bourbon distilleries talked about how much orange was in town and that it was cool to meet so many new fans. One told us they had to create a new slot in their registers for the influx of $2 bills.

I've got to disagree with your sentiment that the fan base "really cares about football" though. I understand a lot has to do with Louisville coming into the game 0-2. But there were plenty of empty seats in the lower deck by kickoff on the home side. With the start of each quarter, more and more fans streamed out of the stadium. By the middle of the 4th quarter of a game very much in reach, the lower bowl was borderline empty.

Highly recommend Tiger fans making the trip in 2017 if you have the chance.

Re: The trip is absolutely worth it

Sep 21, 2015, 11:41 AM

IT WAS A THURSDAY GAME.

Re: The trip is absolutely worth it

Sep 21, 2015, 4:53 PM [ in reply to The trip is absolutely worth it ]

It would be nice if all fans stayed in the stands even when we have a big lead or when we're down. This would show our guys we support them... no matter what the score.

Had a great time

Sep 21, 2015, 9:32 AM

Trying to separate the outcome of the game and the effort of the trip, had it been a loss I probably would feel very different.

There was plenty of hotel options very near the stadium and didn't have to drive anywhere after arrival.

Horse racing was an excellent substitute for a typical tailgate.

I would consider making the trip again, and encourage others as well.

Sure is .. Even came back with award...

Sep 21, 2015, 9:40 AM

http://cardinalsportszone.com/2015/09/18/cszrrtg-tailgate-of-the-week-clemson-game-2015/

TU & Holy Crap, what a Bloody Mary!

Sep 21, 2015, 11:07 AM

Nice!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

I had a blast & we made it loud! ??

Sep 21, 2015, 1:28 PM

Finally got it to post! GO TIGERS!
I'm standing at the top in the orange with drink in hand, old trucker-style o&w paw hat...
They actually managed to catch me not yelling!!! Lol ??

Re: Sure is .. Even came back with award...

Sep 21, 2015, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Sure is .. Even came back with award... ]

Way to represent Clemson with class and sportsmanship! Go Tigers!!!!!!

Sep 21, 2015, 10:21 AM

A trip worth taking! I felt as if I was at a family reunion, with so many people coming over to our tailgate and welcoming us to Louisville. After the game as we exited the stadium and walked back to our tailgate, at least 100 people made it a point to shake our hands, and wish us a good season and a safe trip home. Louisville has a lot to be proud of, and on top of that list is a SUPER FAN BASE!

Sep 21, 2015, 10:59 AM

Like you, I questioned that a road trip to Louisville, even with them being 0-2, might not be fraught with danger, nevertheless, I planned it and so, here's my story:

I haven't attended any Clemson game, home or road, since the 1994 game at FSU. My wife of almost 24 years, currently fighting pancreatic cancer, has never been to one. This trip, planned almost 3 months in advance, was going to be one of those "bucket list" type items. Risky during chemos, but sometimes you have to say . . . . . . you know the rest.

Through a friend on the Louisville side, we had lower deck seats and pretty convenient parking. By the way, all proceeds from our parking benefitted the Kosair Childrens hospital; $30 well worth it.

Having not done a Clemson game tailgate in decades, our friends with us were suitably impressed with the convenience and quality of our simple spread, or maybe it was the Kentucky bourbon we served. We quickly ate, drank and then toddled over to the stadium to get ready for kickoff, and that's where the wheels came off.

As I mentioned before, chemo, so the brisk walk over to the stadium was overwhelming and by the time we made it to the student gate, my wife could not continue. We found a chair, got her a drink and then the Louisville fans and stadium staff turned into angels of mercy. Cold water, hugs, wheelchair transport to our section (thanks Luke), all provided with cheer and concern. (BTW, Lindsey, I'm keeping my eye out for you in the pageant world).

At our section, and given the earlier limitations, walking up 20 rows to our seats was not going to happen, so the usher Della (I'm going to call her Della because she looked like a Della) said to sit on the front row until those folks showed up. Meanwhile, I looked for a way to get my wife above the seats and then be able to walk down. Vicky, from transport, helped us there, using her magic badge and keys to get us on the elevator and to the club level, and then out to the terrace to look for a way down. Unfortunately, there wasn't one, so they gave my wife a nice padded chair and sat her next to the stadium DJ on the photo deck. And there we stayed until the start of the 4th quarter when Vicky came back to take us back down and get us transport back close to the parking.

Before you fuss about us leaving early, please reread what we went through before. We were dependent on the good graces of many folks and to expect them to do their work in the midst of a mass post-game exodus wasn't right or fair.

I can't say enough good. Seriously. We made it to the game, both got to see the majority of it, made it back to the car in time to listen to the end on the radio, the Tigers won and we got to where were were staying safely and with few ill effects from a rough night.

I'd call it a full and fruitful night.
Thanks to the Louisville faithful for making it a good one to remember.

Tim Crawford, class of '87

TU & prayers your way.

Sep 21, 2015, 11:10 AM

For a full recovery for the missus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Thanks for sharing,! I truly hope that some one passes along

Sep 21, 2015, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Road trip: Is the trip to Louisville worth the effort? ]

Your story to the larger Louisville community so that they know how much their hospitality and kindness means to this Clemson fan. Tempering the natural competitiveness of football with simple humanity and compassion deserves to be recognized and further encouraged.

So glad to have this team and community on our schedule each year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

I'll 2nd that. Wow***

Sep 21, 2015, 8:22 PM

Great trip! Fans were friendly, before and after the...

Sep 21, 2015, 11:39 AM

game. Churchill Downs was great. And the distilleries were a blast.

Recommend the trip to everyone.

Sep 21, 2015, 11:39 AM

I picked up on the use of the term "soft drinks" instead of "soda" or "pop". Thank you! It was pleasant to hear that regional word, used mostly in South Carolina.

I was there as well. My thoughts:

Sep 21, 2015, 12:28 PM

The Stadium
- Every seat in the stadium has a back. Glorious.
- Beer and bourbon are available for sale.
- Heckuva walk to the upper concourse.

The Fans
- Unfortunately I wasn't able to tailgate. Drove down Thurs a.m. from Chicago. I'm sure this negatively impacted my ability to meet the kinds of fans referenced in David and others' reports.
- My good fan/bad fan interaction was about 50%. Heard several unfunny Clemson jabs directed towards me and one guy that loudly yelled that I suck (while throwing down the 'suck it' Degeneration X pose). A few others wished me luck and stated how much fun they'd had in our house last year.
- The Louisville fans seated in front of us vaped for the whole first half, ate some pizza and left. Odd.
- Had 3 Louisville guys to our left that were trash talkers, but still friendly fellas. Got along well with the Tiger fans in our vicinity.

Game atmosphere
- Nicest fans in the world on 1st and 2nd down. Noise was non-existent. That's what separates that next tier of fanbase, isn't it? These folks clearly love their football but they don't put in the energy on early downs like we generally do versus quality opponents.
- They were loud when they needed to be on critical downs in the 2nd half. Clearly loud enough to affect Deshaun, who leaned in to shout several instructions to his line on several occasions.
- From an overall noise perspective, their ~50k fans were not close to the ~50k fans in Blacksburg from my visit there in '07.

Post-game nonsense
- Saw a middle-aged Tiger fan yelling at a cop on Floyd St. Totally inexcusable. He was in the cop's face for several seconds and in my view assuredly had sufficient cause to be arrested. The Louisville Cop did not keep a cool head and fired back at the fan, but did not pursue an arrest. Let's hope this disgraceful fan elects to not attend future away games or at the very least makes a considerable improvement in future judgment.
- As a result of this, a Louisville and Clemson fan walking directly in front of me almost came to blows. Don't recall the exact language that started it, but the Tiger fan was the one pushing the buttons. I suppose this is the downside of serving alcohol during the game.

Had a good time overall. Grateful to have the win against a team that played us tough. Go Tigers.

Sep 21, 2015, 1:22 PM

Isn't it a great thing that the school who was was supposed to have "the drunk fans" wanted to make a good impression on Clemson due to the treatment they received in Tiger Town? Clemson University-it just doesn't get any better than that. I'm proud to be a Tiger.

Sep 21, 2015, 2:01 PM

Great trip, flew in Weds night, got a minivan at the rental counter b/c it was all they had left, they were shocked how many people were in town for a football game. Great meal at a brewery downtown on Thursday and Louisville Slugger before horse racing and $1 beers. Fans were great the entire trip, very nice before during and after the game. More horses on Friday and Woodford Reserve on Sat before flying back into Columbia just as UGA went up 45-13. The chickens were not happy. It was a great all around trip and would recommend it for anyone in 2017.

Louisville is so worth it!

Sep 21, 2015, 2:27 PM

I would recommend going back in 2 years to anyone. I wouldn't want to drive the 8.5 hours again but Louisville is a very nice place. We got to tour the Louisville Slugger Museum and go on a tour and we also got to watch a horse race in Churchill Downs. This was all on gameday. The atmosphere was a little dead at the start but once UL fans realized they had a chance to win, they really got into it. The fans were also very welcoming. I would definitely recommend this trip to any Clemson fan in 2017.

Any time the Clemson Tigers are takig the field, the trip

Sep 21, 2015, 4:12 PM

is worth the effort. While it would be nice to see a cool campus, great surroundings, etc. the trip is all about following the Clemson football team.

Sep 21, 2015, 8:19 PM

This Louusiclle fan took the time go ahead and create an account just to let you know that from a Louisville fan you all are easily the best fans that we have encountered in the ACC. Your hospitality last year was the best we have ever experienced. Literally every single Person that made the could say nothing but wonderful things about how wonderful your fan base is. And because of that we wanted to be sure to show you exactly what you had shown us. So the real thank you goes out to you for welcoming us and our first year to a wonderful Fanbase and wonderful conference. We can only hope that we repaid the kindness that you all showed to us. Good game and best of luck this season!

Lville area was quite industrial looking.

Sep 21, 2015, 8:54 PM

Allow me to grade the trip.
Fans A- Fans really nice, but too many were intoxicated.
Papa John Stadium B- It was good, but for a sell out, ~ approximately 20% seats were empty. Nothing unique compared to other ACC venues. Seats were individual. People asked around me asked why they were pink. Lol
Outside D In the heart of an ugly industrial area with wire fence & barb wire. Churchill Downs next door gave you something to observe and saved it from being an "F".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lville area was quite industrial looking.

Sep 21, 2015, 9:11 PM

Wow, great to see everyone had a great time. Regarding the empty seats, that's always been a issue. You see, many of the luxury box holders also hold tickets to those seats below their suites. It could very well be those fans were up in the suites or club areas. Also, it has been rumored that quite a few Auburn fans bought season tickets to secure tickets to the Chick-fil-a kickoff classic. Also, you may have noticed the "Party Deck" above the enclosed end of the stadium. Many folks migrate there to watch the game and party it up. The party deck stays packed during the game and there is no standing room only tickets sold so everyone you see up there have seats they should be in.

Regarding the industrial part, UofL is snatching up land like crazy there. The stadium was a railyard back in the day. The new soccer stadium you may have seen across from the practice fields used to be a macaroni facility. Pretty much every new athletic facility up and down Floyd St has replaced industrial buildings. There are a couple of other properties that UofL has purchased recently that hasn't been cleared yet. When you come back in 2 yrs, it will probably look a lot different. UofL is in a building boom at the moment.

The pink seats....yeah, those are heavily discussed on our boards lol. They of course used to be bright red like the upper deck seats. Supposedly there was a defect that caused them to "fade". They eventually will be replaced. I suspect it will be the same time as the stadium expansion which will enclose the open end. Our AD's goal is to have this expansion down in 2 yrs so maybe it will be done just in time for your return. Here is the rendering:

http://www.courier-journal.com/picture-gallery/sports/college/louisville/2015/08/28/gallery--papa-johns-cardinal-stadium-expansion/71301500/

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2015, 9:14 PM

The trip to Louisville was definitely worth it. By my account based on my trip there, they are a welcome change to the conference from Maryland. The experience there is polar opposite to the experience I'm sure we have all had at Maryland over the years.

They were both friendly and passionate for their team at the same time. We were welcomed into multiple tailgates, offered Churchill Downs tickets for free several times, and just generally made to feel welcome. Random Louisville fans bought our beers in the stadium.

Its a far cry from Columbia and College Park for sure. For those that didn't go, make the trip the year after next and you'll not be disappointed.

Sep 22, 2015, 9:14 AM

It is a great trip. I sat among-st all of them and I wasn't quite sure what to expect either. A lot went out of their way to be nice as they should. The stadium is very new with actual stadium seats. I will say the concourses under and around the stadium need to be about twice as wide. It was a cluster you know what just walking to the seats. I didn't sample the food offerings so i cant comment. I will say the atmosphere wasn't exactly the most family friendly however. I saw very few kids but maybe that was because it was a school night. The PA music was down right raunchy at times. For example, they played the rated version of DMX's "Party Up" without reservation. The crowd in the lower section of the rounded end-zone was very NFLesque and didn't strike me as the typical alumni crowd that would be sitting in the same location of our stadium. I was on the fence about alcohol inside our stadium but after seeing it at Papa Johns, i think it would take away from our atmosphere and be a big negative. All in all, it was great to see a new venue. Churchill downs next door was quite the perk. We watched several races, ate at the food trucks, enjoyed a few mint juleps and lost a little bit of cash in the process. The track was solid orange with mostly Tigers. Downtown is great. Lots to walk and see, restaurants, bars. Evan Williams, Louisville Slugger, the river, etc. We took a cab to the game. Traffic sucked going and coming. Finding a cab after the game was virtually impossible, ended up walking 15 blocks to finally find one. Add to the fact that train tracks run right through campus and two trains came by to impede traffic within 30 mins of the game letting out.They care about football. It was good to see. They will be a quality opponent for years to come and they are the best 0-3 team in the country. I will certainly go back.

My Take!

Sep 22, 2015, 9:15 AM

It is a great trip. I sat among-st all of them and I wasn't quite sure what to expect either. A lot went out of their way to be nice as they should. The stadium is very new with actual stadium seats. I will say the concourses under and around the stadium need to be about twice as wide. It was a cluster you know what just walking to the seats. I didn't sample the food offerings so i cant comment. I will say the atmosphere wasn't exactly the most family friendly however. I saw very few kids but maybe that was because it was a school night. The PA music was down right raunchy at times. For example, they played the rated version of DMX's "Party Up" without reservation. The crowd in the lower section of the rounded end-zone was very NFLesque and didn't strike me as the typical alumni crowd that would be sitting in the same location of our stadium. I was on the fence about alcohol inside our stadium but after seeing it at Papa Johns, i think it would take away from our atmosphere and be a big negative. All in all, it was great to see a new venue. Churchill downs next door was quite the perk. We watched several races, ate at the food trucks, enjoyed a few mint juleps and lost a little bit of cash in the process. The track was solid orange with mostly Tigers. Downtown is great. Lots to walk and see, restaurants, bars. Evan Williams, Louisville Slugger, the river, etc. We took a cab to the game. Traffic sucked going and coming. Finding a cab after the game was virtually impossible, ended up walking 15 blocks to finally find one. Add to the fact that train tracks run right through campus and two trains came by to impede traffic within 30 mins of the game letting out. They care about football. It was good to see. They will be a quality opponent for years to come and they are the best 0-3 team in the country. I will certainly go back.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic