Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Brownell says rules changes will impact the game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 3,214

New Story: Brownell says rules changes will impact the game

Jun 15, 2015, 9:08 AM

Brownell says rules changes will impact the game

Familiar won't be the name of the game for Clemson basketball next season as Brad Brownell's squad will practice at different places on campus and play its home games in Greenville. Add in some significant rules changes in place for the 2015-16 season, and there will be a different feel around college basketball in Clemson. Brad Brownell talks about the new rules changes and how he thinks they will affect the game. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the shot clock could be cut in 1/2 and we still couldnt

Jun 15, 2015, 9:20 AM

break 85 points in a game

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Old rules didn't help us, might as well try these out

Jun 15, 2015, 9:44 AM

I just get the sense a lot of these things are based on what 5 or 6 coaches say should be. I am very surprised to not see no visiting team fans allowed in Dean Dome. I thought that was a shoe in.

Does this mean we are going win more or lose

Jun 15, 2015, 9:51 AM

more, coach Brownlee?

His name is Brownell, and yes, we will win more games.

Jun 17, 2015, 6:51 PM

Have a good day sir.

Yes !!!

Jun 15, 2015, 9:56 AM

The "Grand Strategery" should be to put as many shots on goal as possible during the game ... now, if your a poor shooting team, this is very important. Given that a small percentage of your shots go in the basket, you want to give yourself as many chances as possible to put the ball in the basket ... its a math thing ...

This is counter to the "limit possession" philosophy which I always thought was bizarre and equivalent to "trickle down economics", it made mo sense ....

NOW, you DO want a really good defense ... you want to PREVENT the other team from putting the ball in the basket ...

I have run an analysis .... generally speaking, if you put the ball in the basket more often then the other team, more often then not, you WIN !

Of course, we get into the nuances of 3 pt shots vs 2 point shots, etc ... but as a general rule, the team that puts the ball in the basket more often generally wins ... do this, and be glad

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes !!!

Jun 15, 2015, 10:22 AM

I myself have done the research. Like the often quoted media would say," you're gonna have to just out score them." After reviewing several games this past season, I noticed the trend that 60 plus % of the teams that put the ball in the basket more than the other team won the game. It's hard to look over those statistics. Go forth my beloved Tigers and put the ball in the basket more than all of your opponents and we too can win 60 plus percent of our games.

except that a majority of the shots that do not go in

Jun 15, 2015, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Yes !!! ]

lead to the other team having the ball. So if they shoot more efficiently the higher the possessions and the higher the shots taken, the higher the point differential at the end of the game. If, however, you have a good defensive team that can steal and rebound at a slightly higher efficiency than the other team, you have a greater chance at evening out the score and possibly winning if you keep the possessions lower. Does that help - it's not too complicated...

You need to study more

Jun 15, 2015, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Yes !!! ]

And it will make sense

I am also a firm believer in the concept of ....

Jun 15, 2015, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Yes !!! ]

following your shot. Now, I have observed that many of the lads heave the ball towards the basket, and then stand and pray that it goes in. Analysis has shown that if one pursues the trajectory of the spheroid towards the basket, you will have the advantage of position of perhaps capturing the basket off its "rebound" ... and have yet another chance of perhaps putting the ball in the basket OR, the option of capturing the "ball" and perhaps "passing" the ball to a teammate in a more optimal position.

Of course, you always want a fleet footed fellow student-athlete playing "safety", in case an errant bounce puts the ball in your opponents possession, and you want to disrupt a potential "fast break".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2015, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Yes !!! ]

do realize that 4 of the 6 nba final games the team that shot more ended up losing

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jun 17, 2015, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Yes !!! ]

You are so dumb you are really dumb for real.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

they're spose to***

Jun 15, 2015, 10:19 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

horrble, college Bb wasn't broke

Jun 15, 2015, 11:16 AM

The NBA is what's broke. So let's make college more like the NBA.

Re: New Story: Brownell says rules changes will impact the game

Jun 15, 2015, 12:44 PM

The main problem with college bb is the lack of basic bb skills of ball handling, passing and shooting. A lot of teams have great athletes who couldn't throw it in the ocean and often turn it over which is worst. Seems like it gets worst every year or maybe it has always been bad but is more exposed because every game is on TV somewhere. Also, block/charge calls on secondary defenders makes the game hard to watch.

now you are on the right track

Jun 15, 2015, 1:11 PM

Really listen to college coaches speak and they talk of the horrible fundamentals coming in to programs. Some of it is HS coaching or the lack there of, but the emergence of AAU and the free lance style that prevails there is the bigger culprit. It's run and gun with the emphasis on the individual instead of the team. Brownell has also said for years the defensive rules that allow grabbing on the perimeter and get in the way of real motion also hurts the game. A thirty second shot clock just means more forced shots until some of these other things are addressed

Just a few more rule changes and NCAAB could be...

Jun 15, 2015, 12:55 PM

...almost as entertaining as the NBA :)

Frequent fouls, dominating defenses, and good fundamentals does not produce entertaining basketball (for example - Ladies BB). What makes the NBA awesome is the offenses. High flying dunks, good ball control and 3-point shooting.

This is one reason why Clemson BB is a little frustrating for me to watch. As a casual fan, it is just not entertaining.

Waah, Waah. Waah.

Jun 15, 2015, 2:39 PM

"I want to be entertained. I want things to be like I want them so that they can entertain me."

Sorry you are not entertained enough to be a supporter of Clemson basketball. Perhaps, playing video games or going to the movies or many other self-focused entertaining pursuits might tickle your fancy more.

Re: Waah, Waah. Waah.

Jun 17, 2015, 11:31 PM

You are making a lot of assumptions there. None of which are correct!

Jun 17, 2015, 8:40 AM

He said that it will be difficult for teams to run set offenses. Not every team takes 5 years to score Brownell.

Jun 17, 2015, 9:47 AM

Yes because those teams don't run "sets." Still doesn't change the fact that your time to run a set is reduced and is much more difficult. Educate yourself.

Jun 17, 2015, 9:53 AM

I understand the "sets" but it just seems like half the time Clemson just goes through the motions.

Jun 17, 2015, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Brownell says rules changes will impact the game ]

Maybe you need players to take the open shot when it presents itself or when guys are in position to get the rebound. Dribbling doesn't score points, but it does often cause turnovers. We often have twenty turnovers a game, but if we shot the ball it could go in or we might get a rebound for another shot. That's potentially 40 points a game. Enough to win a few more games anyway.

Jun 20, 2023, 2:01 PM

Rules were pushed by the one and done teams and those that recruit the top players. Basically penalizes good defensive teams, except on the 10 second to get it across. All it does it create more one on one basketball. Kentuckys, Dukes of the world get what helps them.

Jun 17, 2015, 3:03 PM

Nobody wants to see a player dribble for ten seconds without running a play if the defense sits back, but the ten second rule is a bad rule in my opinion. Good defense doesn't get rewarded, a poor decision.

Replies: 24
| visibility 3,214
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic