Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some football discussion - Watson or Lawrence?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Some football discussion - Watson or Lawrence?

Jul 21, 2020, 1:15 PM

Both are great, any program would be lucky to have had either one, and we've been blessed to have both of these guys within the past 5 years.

If you could have one of these guys to try and win a championship over the course of a season or a single game then who would you go with?

I'd have to take Watson. Lawrence is out of this world talented, and his physical skills are probably what most NFL coaches would select in a build a quarterback model on Madden. However, Watson just had the IT factor in big moments. Don't take that as me saying Lawrence doesn't or anything, but let me put it this way, I don't think any quarterback would've beaten Alabama in the 2016 game other than Watson. Watson played out of his mind and it still came down to the final second. Just off the top of my head during that same season he led touchdowns to win the game on our final drive against Louisville, NC State, and FSU to go along with Alabama.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes***

Jul 21, 2020, 1:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nealon Greene***

Jul 21, 2020, 1:17 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nealon Greene***

Jul 21, 2020, 1:54 PM

OK - family members are cool.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gotta be Willy Korn***

Jul 21, 2020, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Nealon Greene*** ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson

Jul 21, 2020, 1:20 PM

Just as you stated. The IT factor. Able to lead his team to victory whatever it took. Hopefully TL gets a shot at a third year provide a better comparison. Go Tigers!

Re: Watson

Jul 21, 2020, 1:25 PM

Yeah, to be fair to Lawrence he really hasn't had many chances to show what he can do late in tight games other than UNC and Ohio State, and he came up big in the Ohio State game. Against UNC he did lead what would eventually be the game winning touchdown in the 4th with just under 10 minutes to go. UNC ended up having the ball for nearly 9 minutes after that so he really did all he could do late in that game.

I guess that trust in Watson came largely because he was put in multiple situations to prove himself where Lawrence really hasn't been. I hate using the LSU game against Lawrence though because nobody can be perfect, but it's hard to imagine Watson being that off in a big game.

The difference is that Trevor Lawrence will have

Jul 21, 2020, 1:20 PM

3 national championships and 2 Heisman trophies when he leaves Clemson. That's tough to beat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

That’s rowdy

Jul 21, 2020, 9:49 PM

And I like it

I’ll take both please, and then in the correct order of Watson then Lawrence too.

Jul 21, 2020, 1:21 PM

Needed Watson’s Moxie in the locker room to get our players to believe that we could knock down the mighty Alabama. Needed his heart and his ability to make things happen. He was the perfect person for the time. Now we have in Lawrence the better pure qb. But he doesn’t have to be the organization changer that I believe Watson was.

Re: Some football discussion - Watson or Lawrence?

Jul 21, 2020, 1:23 PM

TL does not turn the ball over as much as DW. But you can't go wrong either way.

I'd give Watson the edge. He is a better leader in my

Jul 21, 2020, 1:25 PM

opinion. But Lawrence is one heck of an athlete and hopefully will win more National Championships and possible Super Bowls. It's really too close to call.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lawrence has one national title and one runner-up in two

Jul 21, 2020, 1:30 PM

years. No Heisman yet. 2 ACC Titles so far

Watson has one national title and one runner-up in three years and no Heisman, 2 ACC titles. Had Watson stayed for his 4th year, I believe he would have ended with 2 national titles, 1 runner-up and 1 Heisman. I do not believe the Bama team that beat us in the Sugar Bowl was good enough to beat our 2017 team had we had Watson. And neither was Georgia that year.

If Lawrence gets to play his third year, he could end up with 2 titles and a Heisman, but he may not get to play it. If he were to stay 4 years, which he won't, he would definitely leave with a Heisman.

I see nothing wrong with calling this one a flat out draw. They are both awesome and lived up to all the hype they had coming into Clemson.

Kind of a 1A and a 1B

Jul 21, 2020, 1:53 PM

Like a Montana / Young scenario. Agree with most that Watson beat the best Defense of our competitors in last second win vs Bama with a young but strong Clemson Defense. TL16 played exceptionally with Clemson’s best team ever in runaway vs Bama as a freshman, then ran into best Offense we’ve played vs LSU after beating a talented Ohio St team last year. This year’s TL16 could set the bar again.

Jul 21, 2020, 2:00 PM

Watson. All day.

Jul 21, 2020, 2:19 PM

Trevor is incredible but Deshaun is the best college football player I have ever seen. They way he extended plays with a pretty average OL was incredible. He just didnt have the talent around him that Trevor does.

The Draft Board - College Fantasy Sports

Launching this fall. Visit http://www.thedraftboard.com to sign up for early access!

Jul 21, 2020, 2:19 PM

Trevor is incredible but Deshaun is the best college football player I have ever seen. They way he extended plays with a pretty average OL was incredible. He just didnt have the talent around him that Trevor does.

The Draft Board - College Fantasy Sports

Launching this fall. Visit http://www.thedraftboard.com to sign up for early access!

Jul 21, 2020, 2:44 PM

Since this is hypothetical and all, I'll take Watson with Trevor's hair.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2020, 3:26 PM

Mike Eppley is the tie-breaker . . . . . .

Impossible to answer

Jul 21, 2020, 4:47 PM

..at this point.

Watson played for 3 seasons, TL has only played 2. I need to see Trevor Lawrence for one more season before I make a final decision.

It's going to be close either way, both are legendary QB's.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely.***

Jul 21, 2020, 5:29 PM

Jul 21, 2020, 8:10 PM

DW4

Jul 21, 2020, 8:24 PM

DW4

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Watson now. Lawrence long-term.***

Jul 21, 2020, 9:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2020, 10:08 PM

Watson. Never have I enjoyed watching an athlete at Clemson in any sport more than him. The 2015 season he had was a thing of beauty. 4000 passing and 1000 rushing? Behave!

Jul 21, 2020, 10:21 PM

Ok, I love Watson and his drive to win. He depended on our defense to pull him out of situations where he threw interceptions. They did and he was clutch when he had to be his last year but we had several games where Edmunds and Jadar saved us from losing.

With Trevor, Turnovers haven’t been a problem in big games. He has been so dominant that most games by the 3rd quarter he was done. The only game Trevor has lost was against LSU and Tee was out in the 1st Half early and Ross had a tough game being doubled in a new position. LSU’s 25 year Old QB played a near perfect as a game as he could. Last year we really missed the rotation on Defensive line we had in the past and will have this year plus we missed the Legend Hunter 3rd down Renfrow.

Trevor was clutch in the OSU game, even dominate after getting smacked in the mouth. I love Watson and it’s close but in my opinion Trevor is the better QB. He dominated his 1st season with a dominant defense helping him. We are more balanced with ETN now so we haven’t had to rely on Trevor as much as we relied on Deshaun but he is very capable.

If Trevor would have had Renfrow this past season we would have won another Natty.

The great thing is we have had both of these incredible QB‘S and we have another on campus now. It’s really an embarrassment of riches as Kirk would say.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic