Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What has happened to the $EC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,801

What has happened to the $EC?

Jul 7, 2017, 9:35 AM

I know there are a lot of factors involved here. I think the primary reason is obvious. Their out of control oversigning practices allowed them to miss on their recruiting evaluations and cull the herd to get the tupe of depth they wanted. A lot of kids got kicked to the curb. As soon as the NCAA stepped in and passed legislation to curb oversigning the SEC began a downhill slide. I'm so glad Dabo did not stoop to this as a means of ending the streak or trying to get to an elite level nationally. He did and still does things the right way and allows kids to graduate. It's something we can all be proud of. Not just winning but winning the right way.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Other conferences started paying coaches more and building...

Jul 7, 2017, 9:41 AM

better facilities. For about a decade the SEC was able to poach the best coaches from other conferences due to much higher pay than other conferences and extravagant facilities to recruit better. All the other power 5 conferences are doing the same thing SEC schools were doing, so the SEC has lost it's ability poach and it's evened the playing field across CFB.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What has happened to the $EC?

Jul 7, 2017, 9:43 AM

The over signing legislation just happened, so it hasn't had any effect. The real issue with the SEC is terrible coaching (outside of Saban) and lack of QB talent/development.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jul 7, 2017, 9:57 AM

It hasn't been that many years ago that teams like UGA, UT, etc from the SEC would get the best players out of SC and NC and their home states. But - that has changed and CLEMSON is doing to them what they did to us years ago. That is part of the reason that UGA and UT are no longer relevant. I guess Z White did not get the memo.

Nah, 2 big issues

Jul 7, 2017, 10:07 AM

1) A huge amount of coaching talent has left. Urban is now at OSU, Spurrier retired, Les was no longer the coach he was earlier in his career and got run out at LSU, Richt is now at Miami (i know everyone likes to hate on Richt around here, but he really is a pretty good coach), etc.

And instead of replacing those guys with good up-and-coming coaches or established guys from other schools, they've mostly tried to find the next Saban with former assistants like McIlwain and Smart. Dan Mullen is arguably the 2nd best coach in the SEC right now.. let that sink in for a minute.

2) Poor QB play. This might go hand in hand with the downgrade in head coaching quality, but the majority of the SEC schools have had a really hard time developing QBs. Glaring examples are Florida and LSU, but Auburn has had dreadful QB play the last 2 years after Nick Marshall graduated, A&M has had a revolving door since Manziel left, etc.

Re: Nah, 2 big issues

Jul 7, 2017, 10:31 AM

I agree. In addition Saban's rise and continued success of the Bama program has destroyed the rest of the conference. Like you mentioned the coaching turnover started due to long established coaches leaving but has continued because AD's have been impatient in the face of Bama's success. Schools continue to chase the next Saban and and have not built a foundation for success.

null

Jul 7, 2017, 11:04 AM

Lowest common denominator (LCD) symdrome. They be singin' "Who let the coots in"

Jul 7, 2017, 11:22 AM

I didn't realize that the legislation had just kicked in. I know it has been talked about it for years. I know their coaching and QB play is not on par with the ACC. But the fact they are on a downhill slide before NCAA legislation limits their underhanded recruiting tactics speaks volumes about our recruiting and coaching. If this legislation has not effected them yet I can't wait to see what happens when it does. The sec will have to actually get better instead of ruining these kids college experience by taking advantage of them to build a program.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2017, 11:43 AM

I would agree that coaching is a huge issue. They've had a massive talent drain of late and the general perception is that winning in the SEC is a massive pressure cooker, with rabid (and often outlaw) boosters, immense and demanding fan bases, and while the money is great the rest of the gig is pretty much terrible. It's not gonna be fun, it eats even good coaches alive, and you will likely be drawing your last big paycheck because at the end of your 3-4 year SEC gig, you will likely be fired and your reputation will be ruined.

I also think it's culture. Again, it's a pressure cooker, where football concerns are paramount and character concerns and even human decency get tossed right out the window in the name of winning. Especially in the SEC everybody's dirty as sin. Even the former commissioner - Mike Slive - had once been a lawyer who specialized in getting programs accused of NCAA infractions out of trouble, and one of his first acts was to literally institute a mafia-like code of omerta - silence, enacting conference regulations that forced SEC programs to first report knowledge of recruiting infractions to the SEC front office before they were allowed to forward that report to the NCAA. (This is the point at which the NCAA should have kicked the SEC out of college sports. They didn't have the stones for it, of course.) That whole mess grew out of the 2000 Albert Means case, where Alabama paid at least $160,000 for the DT out of Tresevant High with his coach acting as agent and auctioneer. Tennessee turned Alabama in, of course, and almost got Alabama the Death Penalty...and the reason they were able to do that is that they had finished runner-up in the Means auction. I do think that chases away a lot of the good kids, who tend to wind up in more academically-minded ACC schools.

Also, the talent pool changes the game a lot. It's deep in SEC country. Which means there's plenty for all positions - if you look out West where the pool is thinner, there's plenty of skill talent but the defenses are terrible, mostly because most of the elite athletes prefer the glory of skill positions on offense. So the defenses of the Big 12 and Pac 12 tend to be really bad, which makes for a lot of wide-open offensive football. The SEC tends to be more trench warfare, and games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage...and the stodgy nature of SEC offenses tends to in turn deter elite skill talent that like wide-open offenses that feature them. Again, the ACC has benefited from that a good bit. Clemson certainly has.

Stuff is cyclical, though. It always is. And the SEC may be a bit down right now but with the Southeast's immensely deep talent pool and the resources the member-schools pour into football the league isn't going to be down for long. Unfortunately.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,801
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic