Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
People that eat black eye peas on New Year's Eve...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 388

People that eat black eye peas on New Year's Eve...

Dec 31, 2020, 8:50 AM

Are you doing it because it is considered good luck for the new year?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eat good eats

Dec 31, 2020, 9:00 AM

I don't care about luck but I do care about good eats! Black eye peas... Mmmmm, Mmmmm :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

We normally do but not this year. Assuming we did it last

Dec 31, 2020, 9:04 AM

year it sure didn't bring the good luck, so we're changing up to pork roast and kraut.

NYE is the old year

Dec 31, 2020, 9:09 AM

Gotta eat them on NYD to get the mojo juju for the new year.

Black eyed peas are just for the pennies
Gotta eat them collards for the big bills.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

thass what I thought too. My grandfather always made

Dec 31, 2020, 9:24 AM

Hoppin John.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, it’s on New Years day.

Dec 31, 2020, 11:01 AM [ in reply to NYE is the old year ]

Pork, Collards, Black eyed peas.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been a faithful New Year's day collard and black eyed

Dec 31, 2020, 11:55 AM [ in reply to NYE is the old year ]

pea enthusiast ever since I was in a bad car wreck on the way home from the 2001 Gator Bowl and we all survived after my Dad forced them upon us at the tailgate the day before.

Day, not Eve. I do it bc it’s a Sakerlina tradition.

Dec 31, 2020, 9:33 AM

Grew up with it. Kind of honors my grandmother.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love collards. To heck with the ...........

Dec 31, 2020, 9:34 AM

black eyed peas. well except for the group. I like them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpYeekQkAdc

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I love collards. To heck with the ...........

Dec 31, 2020, 9:37 AM

Gotta put lots of this on them - (or the hot version for you)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Got a jar of that in the fridge. ******

Dec 31, 2020, 9:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fergie looks better in this one.............

Dec 31, 2020, 9:39 AM [ in reply to I love collards. To heck with the ........... ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PCIs0oQDvQ

Re: Fergie looks better in this one.............

Dec 31, 2020, 9:46 AM

This is more interesting imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMA2iF6RuXk

Blackeyed peas = coins | Collards = cash

Dec 31, 2020, 10:26 AM

Everything else is optional, but most people pair those with poke chawps or some kind of poke product for the meat.

So I've been told.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Found this.

Dec 31, 2020, 10:53 AM

Some say the idea of eating black-eyed peas on New Year's started at the time of the Civil War.

Peas were considered animal food and not fit for Union soldiers. That meant peas were the only food that was left for the Confederate forces and families to eat. These Southerners considered themselves lucky to have a meal of peas and salt pork in the dead of winter.

Other sources trace the eating of peas back to the Egyptians. At the time of the Pharaohs, it was considered a sign of humility before the gods to eat such a lowly food. I always ate black-eyed peas because my mom told me to and they are delicious.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That sounds like it's mixed up with the boiled peanut story

Dec 31, 2020, 11:08 AM

Way I heard that one, food was scarce in the South, and the only thing people had to eat were peanuts. Soldiers would boil them in salty water and they were easy to transport/prepare. Hence boiled peanuts only appear in the south.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That sounds like it's mixed up with the boiled peanut story

Dec 31, 2020, 12:53 PM

AKA Goober Peas

https://youtu.be/4BcK3vR6bEc

Panta Rhei Heraclitus

That's Brunswick Stew.***

Dec 31, 2020, 5:34 PM [ in reply to That sounds like it's mixed up with the boiled peanut story ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

....are disgusting

Dec 31, 2020, 6:08 PM

black eyed peas, collard greens...heck, even "butter"/lima beans are tasteless abominations that get WAY too much love in the lounge.

Flavorless mush that needs to be drowned in salt and butter to even get a moderate amount of character.

Fight me.

Replies: 18
| visibility 388
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic