Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NC Game halftime stats?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

NC Game halftime stats?

Jan 29, 2017, 12:04 PM

I know this is old news but in my office there is still much debate over the NC game outcome. Sure, I can point to all my champion "Winner Wear" (....and I do!!) but I also like to debate with facts. For the SEC faithful and a few B10 fans that argue Clemson would not have won if Scarbrough had not gone out hurt, I want to respond with numbers. I've already mentioned our Fiesta Bowl MVP DE went out hurt before that but I want even more weight to my argument. In my recollection, Scarbrough's yards came mostly in the first half. After halftime, I feel like Clemson did fairly well shutting down the run game. But for the life of me, I cannot find his halftime rush stats anywhere. I see a lot sources mention the 93 yards before being hurt. But how many of those were first half yards, how many after Clemson regrouped? Any info or links or input is appreciated!

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How bout just stats

Jan 29, 2017, 12:11 PM

Us 511
Them 386

Us 1st downs 31
Them 16

Us total plays 99
Them 66

Time of poss us almost plus 10 min

3rd down us 7 of 18
Them 2 of 15

Comp % Watson 63%
Hurt 43%

Anyway bo 90 we're on 3 carries i think.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How bout just stats

Jan 29, 2017, 12:31 PM

That's what I'm talking a bout! I really didn't realize we whipped them as much as we did based on the stats. Most of Scarboro's stats came on 1 play, which was great, but not the entire story. I think the story wasn't just that.The adjustments made at half time were spot on on both Offense and defense. That is what told the tale. IMO. I watched as we started shutting them down, except for a couple of good QB runs Hurts made, and our Offense was moving the ball at will midway through 3rd quarter. We simply just wore them out, and the best team won. IMO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We dominated the game for the most part. What killed us for half the game

Jan 29, 2017, 1:02 PM

Was field position and we had 2 turnovers and they had none. Forgot another stat we scored on all 4 red zone possessions.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We dominated the game for the most part. What killed us for half the game

Jan 30, 2017, 8:35 AM

Really, we whipped their arses, but for a couple of big plays (the long run by Howard and the scamper by Hurts). Take away those 2 and it's not that close. Same as last year, except this year we won in the end. We have been the better team both years, but AL is great and has great athletes. So are we! I saw huge character in our team this year, especially after the loss to Pitt. Huge!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How bout just stats

Jan 30, 2017, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Re: How bout just stats ]

Refs missed a flagrant holding call on Hurts' td run in 4qtr.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Forgot at one point bama

Jan 29, 2017, 12:12 PM

Punted 12 straight possessions.

Re: NC Game halftime stats?

Jan 29, 2017, 12:20 PM

Tell them we would have won the PREVIOUS year if we did not have the following players missing:

mckenzie alexander hammy
shaq lawson knee
mike williams neck
ben boulware shoulder
deon cain ream rules
lakip team rule

Tell those whiney babies injuries are part of the game. Our TEAM beat their TEAM. BTW we suspended players for failing drug tests. Alabama did not.

Amen. I don't recall Coots, SEC homers, Bama fans,

Jan 29, 2017, 10:53 PM

ESPN talking heads, etc mindlessly going on about Clemson injuries after the loss. It was about slobbering all over Saban.

Jan 29, 2017, 12:23 PM

Stats don't matter.Only thing that matters is what the score is when the clock reads 00:00!

Jan 29, 2017, 12:50 PM

I used this post to find the following...

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=20917666

Bo had 12 carries for 76 yards at the half.

he had two carries totally 62 yards...and 10 carries totaling 14 yards.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2017, 11:11 PM

And half of those were because of one fine form tackle by OJ Howard!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si. A ridiculous non-call on one of Bo's end-around

Jan 29, 2017, 11:19 PM

breakaways.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here are the halftime stats....

Jan 29, 2017, 12:50 PM

Total yards Clemson 203 Bama 183

Rush yards Clemson 50 Bama 143
Pass Yards Clemson 153 Bama 40

When Bo Scarborough left the game with 2:19 left in the third quarter, Bo had just 14 yards rushing on 4 carries during the 3rd quarter. Note that Scarborough had 93 yards on 16 carries for the game, but 62 of those yards were on two carries in just the first 19 minutes of the game. So, for his other 14 carries over the full 43 minutes he played, he only averaged 2.2 yards per carry.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We had indeed adjusted well on D to how they were using

Jan 29, 2017, 11:33 PM

Bo early on. From the 10:00 mark on in the 2nd Q 'til he left with 2 left in the 3rd, he was being stonewalled. Alabama did not convert a single 3rd down during that stretch, and didn't the rest of the game until their last drive.

There's also something to be said about having to rely heavily on a single back because the rest of your game has been stymied, and the pitfalls associated. DW4 took some vicious hits in that game, but took them okay, withstood, and got back up and into the game. They weren't leaving anything behind either when they came for him.

Two big TD's early, we adjusted, and it wasn't much from there on out.

It was an absolutely fair contest all the way 'til the end, and the better team won.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2017, 10:47 PM

I don't have halftime stats but here's a few facts I give my Alabama friends (since I live in Alabama these have come in handy) (from various sources)

Alabama had 36% of it's offense on 3 plays.
Alabama gave up 19 TD passes in the last 17 games, 4 of those to Watson (threw 3 more) and Renfrow.
Alabama gave up 6 rushing TDs this year--we scored 2 of them.

Alabama had some key advantages in areas that typically determine outcomes:
Clemson lost the turnover margin by 2
Clemson started with significantly worse field position – Alabama starting field position was 35 while Clemson was 23.
Clemson started 7 possessions inside the 20 while Alabama only started 2 inside the 20.

36 points total to be scored in the 4th quarter all season before our game. We scored 21 in the 4th quarter against them. And even more amazing, the last team to score on them in th 4th quarter (before us) was Arkansas (6 points) on October 8th

100 -- Clemson's red zone touchdown percentage: For the season, Alabama allowed opponents to score touchdowns on only 38.1 percent of red zone trips (third in the nation). On Monday night, Clemson went a perfect 4 for 4 on converting trips inside the Alabama 20 into touchdowns. The Tide had allowed only eight red zone touchdowns in 14 games, but Watson and the Clemson offense were able to get to 50 percent of that season total in 60 minutes on Monday night. The ability to finish drives in the end zone was the difference in the game, as the Tigers needed all 28 of those points.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2017, 10:53 PM

Don't let them forget that we put 1,000+ yds and 75 pts on the greatest team and defense ever! We were also down Mike Williams , Deon Cain, and MacKensie Alexander went out!

tv showed a stat shortly before Bo got hurt

Jan 30, 2017, 8:00 AM

with his first X carries resulting in a bunch of yards and two tds but his last 10 or so carries not doing much. we had finally begun to slow him down enough

If you have the play-by-play and search for

Jan 30, 2017, 8:29 AM

Scarborough it's pretty easy. These are the results of his carries throughout the game:

1st Half
1st drive: -1
2nd drive: 4, 25 TD
3rd drive: 2, 3
4th drive: -2
5th drive: 3, 37 TD
6th drive: no carries
7th drive: 5
8th drive: 2, 1, -3
9th drive: no carries (end of half)

2nd Half
1st drive: 3
2nd drive: 3
3rd drive: 0
4th drive: 6, 5 (leaves game)

Outside of the 2 long TD runs he did a whole bunch of nothing. I've heard people say that if he hadn't gotten hurt Bama could've sustained some drives and burned clock, but there's absolutely no evidence to support that claim. He couldn't help them sustain drives all night long. He did all of his damage on 2 plays. He was never consistently churning out 4-5 yard runs.

-4 of his 16 carries went for no gain or a loss.
-10 of his 16 carries went for 3 yards or less.
-outside of the 2 long TD runs, no carries went for more than 6 yards
-his 14 non-TD carries went for 2.2 ypc
-his 5 carries in the 2nd half went for a total of 17 yards

Also, Bama only had 3 drives between the one where he got hurt and their final drive where they scored to take the lead late. Those 3 drives totaled 10 plays and their backup RBs had carries of 13, 3, and 3. That's 6.3 yards per carry - better than what Bo was doing throughout the night. And probably just as good as what they would've gotten with him in there.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic