Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My wife and I took an "adult" road trip yesterday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

My wife and I took an "adult" road trip yesterday

Jul 20, 2020, 7:35 AM
IMG_2221.jpeg(234.8 K)
IMG_2224.jpeg(177.6 K)
IMG_2226.jpeg(228.2 K)

"Adult" meaning no kids (empty nesters) and no alcohol. We live in Charleston. I saw on the local news where our TV sports guy did a segment on things to do within a few hours drive of Charleston (he has no sports to report so the TV station sent him on an assignment). One of his stops was to Eudora Farms, a drive through African Safari Zoo that is between Aiken and Orangeburg.
https://www.eudorafarms.net/

We had a blast. Your kids will love it. If you go, do not go on a weekend. It is way too crowded. They are open Wed-Sun. They have camels, emus, water buffalos, zebras, a giraffe and more animals that you can feed from your car (don't feed the zebras).

On the way home we took the long, scenic route. We went through North (who knew North has an air base?), Swenden, Neeses, Bamberg, Branchville and Bowman.
Bamberg's downtown Main Street COULD be a reallly cool place if it were renovated. The downtown strip is only 2 blocks but the old architecture is neat but most buildings are vacant. Its sad to see them not being used.

Branchville has a neat train station.

Bowman is home of one of the stragest things you will see. Someone had the grand idea to buid a UFO in the center of town.

Bottom line is We have a cool state!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Zoo pics

Jul 20, 2020, 7:37 AM

Zoo pics

Re: My wife and I took an "adult" road trip yesterday

Jul 20, 2020, 7:42 AM

Looks like downtown North Augusta when I was growing up. It is a shame that all that area goes to waste.

Are you sure thats a UFO? Someone told me that was the house muscoot got from the coot headquarters.....nm

you'll never catch us on one of those drive through

Jul 20, 2020, 7:46 AM

safaris, they are too dangerous.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you'll never catch us on one of those drive through

Jul 20, 2020, 8:46 AM

Who’s us? You and Francis?

That Jezebel?

Jul 20, 2020, 1:04 PM

lol

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guess it wasn't "Hump Day" when all the camels are happy.***

Jul 20, 2020, 1:25 PM [ in reply to you'll never catch us on one of those drive through ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

if you are riding down highway 178.......

Jul 20, 2020, 10:33 AM

between orangeburg and north during the week it is very common to see a plane flying low. The planes fly from charleston to north. I was told that they are practicing making drops for the Navy.

If you are ever in the area again the grocery store in Neeses has a great meat and 3 for lunch. They also do breakfast. It used to be called The Giant Food World but I think its a Piggly Wiggly now.

Branchville has a great restaurant at the train station if you are here on friday or saturday night.

The towns you mentioned are just like alot of towns in south carolina. if you know what you are looking for they are fun. But most of the time we drive through and don't see any flashing lights and assume there isn't anything going on.

Re: if you are riding down highway 178.......

Jul 20, 2020, 11:36 AM

I grew up in Sumter and spent much time in Sumter, Manning, Summerton area. To me SC is back roads, country towns but living in Charleston I am now isolated from it. It was fun to reminisce about small town South Carolina.
I met a person at the zoo whose husband was the mayor of Perry, SC. He won the election with 31 votes!

Jul 20, 2020, 12:52 PM

From the areas you're from, did you know a guy by the name of Ellis Lane or Teddy Beach, or a woman by the name of Mary Lou Carnes?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2020, 1:12 PM

Those names do not sound familiar. I am 62 years old. They may be younger than I am. I moved away from Sumter in 1976 as a CU freshman. I have not spent a lot of time there since then.

Jul 20, 2020, 1:27 PM

They are a few years older than you, but I thought that I would ask bc Sumter, Summerton, and Manning is where I spent most of my life, and I was born in Walterboro, Colleton County....

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2020, 4:58 PM [ in reply to if you are riding down highway 178....... ]

The airstrip in North is small, short and basically serves as an unimproved strip, to give the pilots experience landing/taking off on less than ideal runways. A year or so ago, a coworker and friend of mine (he was our HR manager) was offered a spot, to spend the day at the base. The goal was to highlight what the airmen can do, in an effort to hire guys just out of the service. I am a HUGE aviation guy - all my friends know it, so he asked if he could bring another "HR guy" (I'm not) with him and they allowed it.

We flew from CHS up to Columbia and picked up some other HR people. From there it was back to North, where they dropped us off and had a little impromptu air show. Then down to Hilton Head, up the coast, back to Columbia to drop those people off and then back to Charleston. I got to witness a cargo drop from the back of a 17, we refueled while out over the coast and for the last leg, he and I got to ride in the jumpseats in the cockpit.

An experience I'll remember for the rest of my life - I'll be indebted to him forever for getting me on that plane.

Jul 20, 2020, 12:58 PM

Great post about small town SC. My mom was from
one of these little towns: Tatum. As kids, we loved to visit it and have great memories from our time there.
To make this a football post, she loved Clemson and sent all five of her kids there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2020, 1:46 PM

Love back roads! Got sick of the caravan on I-26 headed to Kiawah on Saturday. Got off and got an order of BBQ from Sweatman's which is in the middle of nowhere, traveled further on 2 lanes quite a ways before getting back on 26. It's nice to step back in time a bit and appreciate all the agriculture our state has. A nice stop is just off the Bowman exit. Great little produce stand.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2020, 3:09 PM

We always take the back roads from Greenville to Beaufort. Get on Lowcountry hwy 21 in Columbia. No traffic, no stress and wonderful farm scenery all the way!

Jul 20, 2020, 3:12 PM

Love this route and wish these towns could be renewed. Do plan to eat in Branchville, Eatery at the Depot, open Friday and Saturday night. Food is very good!!

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic