Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on World Cup Soccer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

My take on World Cup Soccer

Jun 28, 2014, 7:19 PM

I really tried to stay awake for the Chile-Brazil soccer match this afternoon, and mission accomplished for about twenty minutes.....then zzzzzzzzz. The national anthems were the most exciting and competitive part of the game! America has always been a "hand's on" country, so soccer doesn't appeal to the majority of U. S. sports fans. You can't use your hands, but you can try for a header or a concussion with your head, right? I'm convinced that at least half of all the soccer goals scored at the highest level of competition are pure luck. How can you have any offensive plays when your players can't even control the ball for more than five seconds at a time? Let the rest of the world have "the beautiful game", and the sooner the better! I'll sign off with one very positive thought about World Cup Soccer. Just like the presidential primaries, we only have to watch this bullcrap once every four years!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My take on your analysis

Jun 28, 2014, 7:23 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz boring.

Re: My take on World Cup Soccer

Jun 28, 2014, 7:30 PM

One of the most ignorant and myopic posts I've ever read. The sooner some of you folks stop living up to the stereotype, the sooner we can move forward as a university.

Jun 28, 2014, 7:34 PM

So you think soccer teams can control the ball for more than five seconds at a time, huh Sherlock? Feel free to follow your dream and move to Brazil, or any other soccer crazy country. Ain't never gonna happen here, Bub!

Spain used to control the ball for minutes at a time.

Jun 28, 2014, 7:36 PM

I didn't really care for their style though. Too much passing not enough action.

yes. For much more than five seconds

Jun 28, 2014, 7:42 PM [ in reply to Re: My take on World Cup Soccer ]

If you don't like it don't watch. I would much rather watch a good soccer match than baseball or basketball. My choice. And for some reason I don't feel the need to denigrate those who don't agree. Go figure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Re: yes. For much more than five seconds

Jun 28, 2014, 7:53 PM

The problem is that I don't have much of a choice during WC, do I? I'm not denigrating anyone, just soccer! Please feel free to denigrate football, baseball and basketball as much as you please.

Jun 28, 2014, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Re: My take on World Cup Soccer ]

Hey, I love football as much as anyone and agree that soccer will never be as popular...but who is actually saying it will be? Would just say that someday it will be more popular than you and many others think. And yes, I think someone can control the ball for more than 5 seconds...happens all the time. All I can tell you is that if I had to pick a sport for my kids to play it would be soccer...for a myriad of reasons.

Jun 28, 2014, 8:56 PM
rooneydive.jpg(50.5 K)

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Jun 28, 2014, 8:32 PM [ in reply to Re: My take on World Cup Soccer ]

To what stereotype do you refer? Not liking soccer? How does that hold Clemson back as a university?

MCB is not even a Clemson fan, much less a

Jun 28, 2014, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Re: My take on World Cup Soccer ]

representative of the University.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: MCB is not even a Clemson fan, much less a

Jun 28, 2014, 9:35 PM

He tries real hard, though. He should at least get a silver star for all the effort he puts into his personal blog here. I wonder how many words he writes vs. the average poster?

he doesn't like soccer. why does that hurt

Jun 30, 2014, 8:25 AM [ in reply to Re: My take on World Cup Soccer ]

Your feelings?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

oh yeah of all the sports with a concussion problem

Jun 28, 2014, 7:32 PM

soccer is head and shoulders above the rest.

Re: didn't see that match but Columbia v uraguay

Jun 28, 2014, 7:35 PM

Was a incredible match! That first goal by Ricardo was a thing of beauty! Prefect trap and then volleyed it right under the bar. Skill not luck!

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

who's Ricardo?***

Jun 28, 2014, 7:37 PM

Re: who's Ricardo?***

Jun 28, 2014, 7:44 PM

James Rodriquez. Darn swipe typing helping me again!

Re: Soccer seemss to be taking

Jun 28, 2014, 7:49 PM

the place of the Olympics as a sport where we can fight WW3 w/o weapons.

I bet you don't even own a Celsius thermometer

Jun 28, 2014, 8:04 PM

that's how the rest of the world measures temperature, you typical American mouthbreather. The USA will always remain behind as long as people like you refuse to change with the times.

Celsius is the beautiful temperature scale, and I am compelled to demean you for your unwillingness to have us grow as a nation and university.

No wonder no one ever tries to escape their homelands to this country where we are so closed-minded and xenophobic, and only enjoy violent recreational activities. And use an outdated temperature scale.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I bet you don't even own a Celsius thermometer

Jun 28, 2014, 8:14 PM

OK, if the metric scale is so far superior what will be new second,minute,day,week,month and year be?? after all it MUST divisible by 10????

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

beats me-I don't know a #### thing about the metric system

Jun 28, 2014, 8:20 PM

I know they been telling me it was coming to the mainstream like soccer since I was a itty bitty boy. I became an engineer despite this information. And never learned the metric system, even 30 years later.

Only Metric system I know is a 2-liter bottle of Coke.

Metric system is awful as well......USA USA USA!

Jun 28, 2014, 8:22 PM [ in reply to I bet you don't even own a Celsius thermometer ]

but not soccer!

Jun 28, 2014, 8:05 PM

TL;DR

Jun 28, 2014, 9:15 PM

DA;CR

Jun 28, 2014, 9:24 PM

Very good, MCB. You're getting the hang of the paragraphs thing. Thank you for not making me read a rambling wall of text.

Soccer is nothing without IM........since then it is BORING!***

Jun 28, 2014, 8:19 PM

Jun 28, 2014, 8:25 PM

interested.

I'm sure it's a fun game to play and I'm sure there is needed skills and talent to control the ball with your feet but it just does not appeal to me.

Baseball can be pretty boring but I have to say soccer is worse for me. I kind of agree about most goals being lucky. There are so many attempts on goal that are so far off and above the goal that when one does go in it sure seems to be partly a product of luck.

The other interesting part is the highlights and collisions are all played in slow motion. It's almost as though this is done to add some drama....it looks more dramatic in slow motion that in real time. A hard hit on the football field or even in hockey is obvious in real time.

As is said, I've tried but it just does not get my attention.

SoccerrSux***

Jun 28, 2014, 8:54 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: SoccerrSux***

Jun 28, 2014, 10:54 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2014, 8:19 AM

The reason you all do not get it is because a lot of soccer is the fight in the players. It is exausting to run around for 10 miles a game with only 1 break normally. It is a game that tests the heart, spirit, and will.

we pretend to be tired, and fight to the end, and we slugged it out and all that B.S. For example, we pretend we wore down LSU , blah blah blah. In a 3-4 hour football game there is 12 minutes of actual action. on average 6 for offense and 6 for defense. If you have to lay on the ground faking injuries to get a breather, then you are a pathetic excuse for an athlete.

The point is, many do not like soccer because its foreign. it is different and that scares your simple brain. These are amazing athletes with massive hearts and guts to put it on the line; while risking humiliations to their lives if they choke( they are rich and famous already, they do not need to play in this tournament).

Considering how fat the people who support american football are , you would think they would want to play a sport where the fans aren't nearly as obese.

that is one opinion. let me give you another

Jun 30, 2014, 8:36 AM

If nfl caliber athletes were playing soccer, it would be more entertaining. Only a handful of the fastest soccer players would not sniff the nfl.

you let beasley hit one of these 5 foot nothing soccer floppers and see how many of those 10 miles he would run after.

some People don't like soccer, it happens.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: that is one opinion. let me give you another

Jun 30, 2014, 9:08 AM

You can say that all you want about the American athletes but its simply not true in terms of the world cup. That is the prime reason the US does not compete at the highest level in soccer. Most of the great athletes choose to play other sports because it pays more in the US. The players on many of these other teams are some of the greatest athletes in the world.

Peter Crouch, Fernando Torres and Per Mertesacker are all over 6'6 and I am sure if you strapped pads on them would easily take a hit from any NFL player. If you want to talk about floppers then go ahead and call out 5'11 Arjen Robben. One of the biggest floppers in the game but a prime example of speed and toughness that could compete in any major sport.

null

I watched the 2nd half of the Greece costa

Jun 30, 2014, 8:27 AM

Rica game and found it entertaining.

Sometimes you feel a nut sometimes you don't.

It isn't on every channel, watch something else.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic