Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Need recommendations for home theater receivers.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 306

Need recommendations for home theater receivers.

Jan 8, 2021, 2:21 PM

The one I have is 15 years old and the right front channel crapped out, so I've been using a lame soundbar in my office instead of my sweet Polk speakers. Looking to spend $300 or less and don't need more than 5.1 channels. Here's what I'm considering:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH590-multi-channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B078WG7HZY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1LHI8R280C8FU&dchild=1&keywords=home+theater+receiver&qid=1610132768&sprefix=home+theater%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V385-5-1-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B07BNXXJKB/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1LHI8R280C8FU&dchild=1&keywords=home+theater+receiver&qid=1610132768&sprefix=home+theater%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-S540BT-Bluetooth-Compatible-Streaming/dp/B07C49F2LD/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1LHI8R280C8FU&dchild=1&keywords=home+theater+receiver&qid=1610132768&sprefix=home+theater%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-2

Eh?

TIA MFers

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any of those are good, I'd go with the Yamaha or Denon.

Jan 8, 2021, 2:26 PM

You also have to make sure you pronounce it "Den-un" so people think you paid more for it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or Marantz***

Jan 8, 2021, 2:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Good luck getting one of those for under $300.

Jan 8, 2021, 2:35 PM

I lucked into an Onkyo with 7.2 someone was selling on Facebook for ~$100 a few years back. Like most Onkyo's the HDMI board is starting to fail. On the lookout for a rube with a Marantz or Denon at the moment.

That's true, this is mine.

Jan 8, 2021, 2:37 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY7F6MJ/

It's amazing, and it was a giant pain finding one that's slim profile enough to fit in my entertainment center, which I have no idea why it wasn't sized larger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ICISPF4

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How hot does that thing get? The bulkiness is typically

Jan 8, 2021, 2:42 PM

for heat dissipation since you're stacking delicate electronics (HDMI board) right near a power amplifier.

I like that form factor though, looks sleek.

I just bought some rack rails and will be cutting a hole in the side of a closet for TXTF night to get all the components out from under the TV.

I was worried about heat when I did it, but it's never

Jan 8, 2021, 2:47 PM

seemed too hot. I cut out more of the back part behind it with that concern.

My parents' Marantz runs hot on its own, but this one definitely seems to run cooler compared to theirs.

It's only been driving 3.1 speakers right now (front only and sub), but I'm hoping to finish my speaker wiring for it to drive 7.1, maybe then it might start heating more.

Would've all been avoided if krzywife would've let me mount this tv, but she wanted it on a stand.

My recommendation:

Jan 8, 2021, 2:31 PM

Soundesign.

IT HAS AN 8-TRACK BUILT IN!

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How did you get a picture of

Jan 8, 2021, 2:44 PM

Johnstone C-620 1980?

I got a lot of mileage out of that cheap #### stereo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I went off to Clemson with a Pioneer all in one.

Jan 8, 2021, 2:50 PM

I remember it fondly. It made it through high school and then took a beating in Johnstone (and numerous other living arrangements) and worked perfectly when I sold it in a yard sale after graduating. I actually pieced together a fairly nice component system by the time I graduated from roommates that left various parts along the way. Some of it was handed down to Joonyer, some is still hanging around the house. 70s stereo gear was built to run forever. My current turntable is 37 years old. Just got a new cartridge for the arm at Christmas.

I STILL have two Zenith Allegro 300 speakers in service

Jan 8, 2021, 3:21 PM

in my den that I had in high school. I use them as secondary speakers now. They are sturdier and sound better than anything I have bought since, short of my Bose system. They've moved with me about 20 times over the decades, through college and on. Hardiest mf'ers ever built.

I see a set on ebay listed for $350 with 14 potential buyers watching, which is where I stole this pic (mine are identical):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ZENITH-ALLEGRO-300/293058389402

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I use the built in speakers on my TV

Jan 8, 2021, 2:50 PM

and I hate it. But home theater systems are a rabbit hole that I am afraid to go down. I want a system that I can hook a turntable up to, but you really get into some high dollhair equipment (IMO) when you get good speakers, good receiver, good sub, good turntable, amps, pocket pussies, woofers, etc.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Soundbars for TV are cheap and make a huge difference.***

Jan 8, 2021, 2:52 PM

There are deals to be had out there. I'm all in on my

Jan 8, 2021, 2:54 PM [ in reply to I use the built in speakers on my TV ]

system at under $1,000 and it can knock pictures off the wall watching Christopher Nolan movies.

Don't be afraid to buy used. Klipsch center, sub, surrounds, ceilings, Pioneer towers (waiting on a Klipsch sale to complete the set)

Back when I worked there, Edgar's had Klipsch house PA

Jan 8, 2021, 3:36 PM

speakers, and I always though they were some of the best sounding PA speakers ever. They suffered a LOT of loud rock bands and bartender abuse back in the day without breaking a sweat. I'd love to have those right now.

JVC pull out tape deck or GFY!***

Jan 8, 2021, 3:28 PM

I have an older version of that Yamaha and it's been solid

Jan 8, 2021, 3:48 PM

Denon is supposed to be one of the better brands but I have no experience with them. I'd probably limit my search to Denon or Yamaha but I'm a novice with this stuff so others may have better info.

I still aint never fingered out what the hell

Jan 8, 2021, 3:50 PM

I'm supposed to do with a receiver. Please to be educating an A/V simp/novice/know-nothing such as myself?

Re: I still aint never fingered out what the hell

Jan 8, 2021, 4:06 PM

No Sony. Don't forget to check Onkyo and Pioneer.

Jan 8, 2021, 4:34 PM

If you can find one with Dolby Atmos, I'd get it, even if you don't currently have the speaker set up for it. It's music and movie-watching game changing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 306
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic