Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My last post about the Heisman before moving on
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,424

My last post about the Heisman before moving on

Dec 12, 2016, 11:18 AM

My take:

1) Lamar is a deserving winner and congrats to him.

2) Shame on any fan of any team who attempts to belittle him as a person using specious (at best) arguments concerning his demeanor, clothing, or the way he talks. That crap is middle-school style idiocy. Regrettably some of our fanbase (just like some of every fanbase) can stoop to such idiotic arguments.

3) HOWEVER, my only real complaint is that the standards for these awards seemingly keep changing. When Woody put up video game numbers, he didn't even get a nod for Heisman. We were told "He didn't win enough". OK, that can be accepted I suppose. So we come back with Spiller who put up even sillier numbers, and we once again we were told "He didn't win enough". OK, last year we mention Watson, and somehow his crazy numbers and winning was met with the fact that seemingly it matters only that the school he represented hadn't been at that level in long while. So this year, he does it again, and yet the argument morphs to "This other dude put up video game numbers". In the end all this proves is that there is NO set standard and that's its a popularity contest driven by hype and highlights.

4) But again, Lamar is worthy of it. He made Louisville better, and for much of the season he made them relevant. More power to him. I, and every sane Clemson fan, (and I'd imagine the vast majority of the coaches in college football) would take Watson and his stable solid winning mixed with his natural talents every time over Jackson, but that doesn't make Jackson unworthy.

So be it, the voters voted. I suppose Watson will just have to console himself with being in the playoffs and having another shot at the big title that isn't driven by popularity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My last post about the Heisman before moving on

Dec 12, 2016, 11:25 AM

Point 3 exactly.

inb4 coots in tiger clothing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2016, 11:34 AM

Spot on. I would love to see some of Woody's & Watson's numbers next to RGIII, Cam, Manziel, and Mariota's the years in which they won (and W&W didn't).

Dec 12, 2016, 11:34 AM

And Crab Legs' ...

Dec 12, 2016, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: My last post about the Heisman before moving on ]

In reality it might be a blessing that Watson is not clumped with a group that includes Manziel, Winston, Newton, etc.

Dec 12, 2016, 11:49 AM

Very good point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN segment - Mike Bellotti, Joey Galloway, Danny Kannell

Dec 12, 2016, 1:55 PM

and David Pollard all picked to have DeShaun Watson in the game for them for that last drive to win the championship, not Lamar Jackson. What does that tell you? Watched it last week.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,424
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic