Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My daughter is a rising sophomore at Clemson.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

My daughter is a rising sophomore at Clemson.

Jun 27, 2020, 12:14 PM

We were talking this morning about how Clemson is going to manage students returning and football season. For the foreseeable future, they will have to wear masks and will have to be tested before returning to campus. We were trying to figure out when she can get tested and where. She’s wondering how will the the dining halls look, will she be able to sit and eat with her friends? What about classes, the library? College students live in close quarters, and then you have off campus students, going and coming different places.
I understand the university having to take these measures, if nothing else for liability reasons. But how far are we all going to go with this? It’s life, and there are so many things that we as humans cannot control. We can use common sense, wash our hands, maintain distancing to an extent. But are we going to continue to stop living, curl up in a fetal position, and wait on a vaccine, that may or may not come?
The Clemson community is hurting right now. The stores survive on students and football season. I have friends who own businesses in the area. If students don’t come back, or if football season is cancelled, even shortened, it will be even more devastating. They’re barely keeping their heads above water now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't like the plan? Address concerns with the PLANNERS.***

Jun 27, 2020, 12:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

Re: Don't like the plan? Address concerns with the PLANNERS.***

Jun 27, 2020, 12:35 PM

No need to be a smart ### about it. Just voicing concerns about the impacts on students and community. This is a board for Clemson related issues, last time I checked.

Wasn't meant to be smart a55.

Jun 27, 2020, 12:40 PM

Truely, if you have legitimate points/concerns, contacting the planners could result in positive changes in the plan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some people are just like that on here. They act out on here

Jun 27, 2020, 6:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't like the plan? Address concerns with the PLANNERS.*** ]

because of their anonymity. They wouldn't have the balls to act like that in real life. Once I blew the cover of one and you should see how fast he t-mailed me begging to "bury the hatchet" that only he had carried. He became a sniveling, wimpering baby in a matter ot ten seconds. He tried to say he " had decided a while ago that he had punished me enough" LOL.

Difficult and complex times. There’s no perfect answer

Jun 27, 2020, 12:48 PM

and a great deal of uncertainty. My opinions change regarding the trade off between enhancing public safety for vulnerable populations and an aggressiveMy returning to more normal lives. Everyone has different risk tolerances.

We have only been in this for four months. Additional health and economic information is rapidly forthcoming. Patience, critical thinking and flexibility are attributes that will serve the Clemson community well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My daughter is a rising sophomore at Clemson.

Jun 27, 2020, 12:49 PM

The university said they will send students information soon about testing.

Jun 27, 2020, 12:49 PM

Will be praying that your daughter stays safe. And I pray for the economy and the small businesses everyday. We have become a society controlled by Fear. I sometimes wonder if this is what the government wants so they can keep a thumb on us. Life is precious but you cannot be afraid to live it. There comes a point where you have to put your all of your faith in God and turn your fears over to him.

As FDR said “ The only thing to fear is fear itself “

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

Will pray for her and her friends

Jun 27, 2020, 12:58 PM

But it would help if you posted pics of them so we know who we are praying for. Hth.

Many students are taking a gap semester

Jun 27, 2020, 2:08 PM

It appears the plan this semester will be a hybrid with online classes and campus classes being at 50% capacity. Meaning that you can only go to every other class. Unless I was a senior, I would choose taking gen-ed classes at Greenville tech and save some money. Based on the cost of tuition vs. instruction time and limited social activities.

I only went to class twice a semester - the first class and

Jun 27, 2020, 2:49 PM

the last class.

Apparently, I was BUILT for a pandemic and didn't even realize it.

Best 6 years of my life.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: I only went to class twice a semester - the first class and

Jun 29, 2020, 10:54 PM

Is that you, Van Wilder?

Mine won't be a popular opinion but....

Jun 27, 2020, 2:10 PM

We are not going to test our way out of this. Because of the significant number of asymptomatic substantiations of this disease there will never be a time where we absolutely know who has it and who doesn't. Negative COVID-19 tests are only good for the particular moment in time that the test is taken; a person can be negative at breakfast but positive by supper....

The data is clear - the COVID-19 hospitalization rate for the target age group of Clemson students (ages 18 - 29) is 32 people per 100,000**. So 99.968% of Clemson students will never have a serious case of COVID-19 even if they get it. Based on this fact, it is absolute insanity to be so mired in fear that we think every student at Clemson must be frequently tested regardless of whether they have symptoms or not.

What Clemson should do is a one time test of every student when they first report to campus for the fall semester but after that treat this like any other sickness; only test students that feel/exhibit symptoms and quarantine if necessary. As for faculty who are older; they need to take necessary precautions based on their individual risk - just as they do when going to stores, restaurants, and other public places.

We need to stop the fear mongering and let the students get back to being students.

** https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_3.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mine won't be a popular opinion but....

Jun 27, 2020, 3:44 PM

Even if this optimistic picture holds true for students, what about the staff? Administrators, professors, maintenance and food preparers? I fear the virus might run rampant among those folks despite all precautions. I can't see how any school can open up until we have some semblance of control over the virus. I'd love to be proved wrong here, but I'm not optimistic that that will happen very soon.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mine won't be a popular opinion but....

Jun 27, 2020, 6:43 PM

"What about the staff? Administrators, professors, maintenance and food preparers?"

Do you think these folks are incapable of taking precautions? Are they not capable of assessing their risk and acting accordingly?

Just remember, administrators, professors, maintenance workers and food preparers are all functioning in our society right now; they go to grocery stores, restaurants, and other public places and take precautions based on their risk. These Clemson employees can take the same level of precautions as they do in other activities and still do their jobs.

Living life is not a zero risk game. Thinking we can continue to lock ourselves inside our homes until there is zero risk is naive and more detrimental to society in the long run.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Three Things

Jun 27, 2020, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Mine won't be a popular opinion but.... ]

1.) Well said and you brought facts to the conversation.
2.) The government and media have driven the populace into virus hysteria. Liability concerns along with political ramifications as in "You didn't do anything to prevent my (fill in the blank) from contracting the virus. Murderer!" are driving decisions now, not science.
3.) The procedures announced by Clemson for students returning for fall semester indicate that the administration has panicked about significantly decreased fall semester enrollment. The resulting significant decrease in revenue will have devastating effects on Clemson.

Re: Three Things

Jun 27, 2020, 10:33 PM

What will be really devastating for CU is if there is no Football. Football pays a lot of bills at CU.

I dont understand the messaging

Jun 27, 2020, 2:18 PM

Was it their expectation that it would not be rampant amongst students?

I dont understand the messaging

Jun 27, 2020, 2:18 PM

Was it their expectation that it would not be rampant amongst students?

Jun 27, 2020, 3:00 PM

I can surely understand and appreciate your dilemma as a parent. I'm not sure what I would do at this point in time. If attending Clemson is going to be on-line instruction, no social activities, no sports, undue everyday hassles, I think I would stay at home until things settle down. Of course, young people don't think like I do. Like I warned my grandson in Virginia not to go to Myrtle Beach 3 weeks ago, but he and his friends went. Now he is home in Virginia finishing up two weeks of quarantine after having tested positive. So far, he has only lost his taste and smell.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; don't lean on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path." (Proverbs 3:5-6)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2020, 3:14 PM

Thank you and prayers for your grandson for a quick recovery. This is not easy on anyone, and is having an impact on every age group, directly or indirectly.

Jun 27, 2020, 5:32 PM

"We were trying to figure out when she can get tested and where."
From Clements' e-mail...Details on testing locations and how to report tests will be provided in the near future.

"She’s wondering how will the the dining halls look, will she be able to sit and eat with her friends?"
Within the guidelines of social distancing and masks, yes, she can sit with her friends. If it is a table that normally seats 6, but is reduced to 4 for social distancing, then her and 3 of her friends can socially distance at this table.

"What about classes, the library?"
Same as cafeteria answer above. Also, Clements' e-mail talks to y'all's "classes" concern in pretty good detail.

"...College students live in close quarters..."
This is specifically discussed in Clements' e-mail.

"...and then you have off campus students, going and coming different places."
The university has no sway over what people do in off campus domiciles. However, the city council of Clemson unanimously passed social distancing and mandatory masks in public. I'm sure that the university will ASK the students living off campus to follow the on-campus domicile guidelines.

"I understand the university having to take these measures, if nothing else for liability reasons."
I'm pretty sure that this isn't mainly for liability reasons, but I can't PROVE it.

"But how far are we all going to go with this? It’s life, and there are so many things that we as humans cannot control. We can use common sense, wash our hands, maintain distancing to an extent. But are we going to continue to stop living, curl up in a fetal position, and wait on a vaccine, that may or may not come?"
I have 6 masks and am maintaining social distance. It is a little inconvenient, but certainly not the end of the world, and I haven't curled up in the fetal position a single time. I shopped for and bought a new mattress, shopped at Costco, and had my truck serviced just this week. I even had to wear mask, social distance, and use a disposable "sheet" to lay on/try out the mattresses. NO BIG DEAL.

"The Clemson community is hurting right now. The stores survive on students and football season. I have friends who own businesses in the area. If students don’t come back, or if football season is cancelled, even shortened, it will be even more devastating. They’re barely keeping their heads above water now."
There is a plan in place for school not to be cancelled. If social distancing in the stadium means I have to miss some games due to other IPTAY members having more priority points, then so be it. However, I will still continue my same level of IPTAY giving to insure that our 500 student athlete's tuition/room/board are paid for. The sky is not falling just yet.

Message was edited by: AeroTiger®

Jun 27, 2020, 6:53 PM

So happy for you that you have it all figured out. You want a badge for wearing your masks and being such a responsible citizen? Good for you. And congrats for you proclaiming how you will still be a good IPTAY donor. Glad you still have money during these difficult times to do that.
Do you have a college age student who’s concerned about going back to campus? These students’ college/campus lives will look significantly different this year. My daughter has questions. Most everyone has questions, except you evidently.
Do know people who have small businesses, restaurants that are worried about their future? I do.
Evidently, as long as you wear your mask and protect yourself, you think you can lecture everyone else. And tell them how you’re going to have them kicked out of football games, if they go “rogue”.
BTW, I received the email that you love to quote. I’ve read it. My daughter read it. A lot can change within the next 2 months, for good or bad. These students can be tested on a Monday and have the virus by the following weekend. Nothing is 100%.

Jun 27, 2020, 8:12 PM

"So happy for you that you have it all figured out."
I know that you are being passive aggressive, but thanks. I know that I don't have ALL of the answers, but I think that my line item answers to the OP were pretty good.

"You want a badge for wearing your masks and being such a responsible citizen?"
Nope.

"Good for you."
Thanks.

"And congrats for you proclaiming how you will still be a good IPTAY donor."
Thanks.

"Glad you still have money during these difficult times to do that."
Thanks. Me too. I'm a self-made man who started with very little, sent myself to Clemson for a Mechanical Engineering degree, and had a highly successful, documented career. I am very generous with my hard earned money, and even plan to leave Clemson a sizable endowment. Perhaps one of your grandkids will benefit from it. Wouldn't that be ironic.

"Do you have a college age student who’s concerned about going back to campus?"
Nope. However, I have a high capacity for empathy. Also, I wish your daughter and you well.

"These students’ college/campus lives will look significantly different this year."
Yep.

"My daughter has questions."
Many of the ones that you posed were answered in Clements' e-mail that you said that y'all read.

"Most everyone has questions, except you evidently."
I typically look at the cards that I have been dealt, and then do all that I can to figure out how to play them.

"Do know people who have small businesses, restaurants that are worried about their future?"
Yep. And I frequent their businesses as much as I can, and I tip BIG at restaurants in an effort to help since I am in good financial shape. I even sent a bartender friend of mine in Florida $500 because I do care and can afford to. I even told her to let me know if I can be of assistance again.

"I do."
OK.

"Evidently, as long as you wear your mask and protect yourself, you think you can lecture everyone else."
All I did was tried to line item help you answer your questions, many of which were answered in Clements' e-mail.

"And tell them how you’re going to have them kicked out of football games, if they go “rogue”."
Yep.

"BTW, I received the email that you love to quote. I’ve read it. My daughter read it."
I couldn't tell because it sounded as if you and your daughter were asking questions that were answered in Clements' e-mail.

"A lot can change within the next 2 months, for good or bad. These students can be tested on a Monday and have the virus by the following weekend. Nothing is 100%."
I agree. Clements' e-mail addresses how Clemson University is going to perform periodic VOLUNTARY tests throughout the semester, and do all they can to keep the students (and all concerned) as safe as possible. The e-mail even recommends going to Redfern Medical Center if they suspect that they may be infected. I hope that your daughter (and all concerned) remains safe, and that all of the students (and all concerned) take the University's plans seriously. I ABSOLUTELY plan to adhere to the rules during football games, and expect everybody else to also. We all should do our parts.

Jun 27, 2020, 10:18 PM

Here’s the thing, sir. You’re clearly a successful person in life, a self-made Clemson man. Even better. That is a great thing. You’re blessed.
My post from this morning was to just express concerns that many/most students and parents have right now. And those in the Clemson community. There is a lot of uncertainty. For the past several months, we have been at the mercy of this virus to some extent, but also our governments, local, state, and federal. We, as well as Clemson, are trying to figure this out as we go along. It becomes extremely frustrating after several months, especially if you have kids, who are wanting to get back to sports, school, and “normal”.
You choose to go back and quote me and mock me and my concerns. Then, rub in the fact that you have money, and give examples of all the good deeds you do. You have the gall to say my grandchildren may benefit from your charitable endowment to Clemson one day. How gracious of you.
Good bye, God Bless, and Go Tigers.

Jun 27, 2020, 11:31 PM

Your post this morning, and yesterday, insinuated that we should ignore the the virus and carry on as we did pre-virus. If you want the city of Clemson and the university to drop or modify all of these plans, then explain your belief to them. However, if the plans stay, then you should/must abide by them. Half of the questions that you discussed were clearly answered in Clements' e-mail. I took an honest shot at answering all of y'all's questions, even the ones that were answered in Clements' e-mail. Then you responded that y'all both had read the e-mail...but you still asked the questions answered in Clement's e-mail that you said that y'all had read. Right? I'm frustrated and want things to return to normal too, but am coping with the situation and socially distancing and wearing my mask to do my part to help bring this bad situation to an end, as well as trying my darnedest to help those financially hit hard by this virus with business/money. The reason I quoted you is that your responses are all over the place, and it was my way to "herd the cats." And finally, any time I brought money up was in response to specific statements that you made. For example, you asked me if I knew anyone who owns a business, insinuating that I don't see the suffering going on. I was merely pointing out that I do, and that I help them all that I can with money and/or business. If you see ANY example above when my answers that referred to money didn't have anything to do with your statement, PLEASE point it out to me. How is pointing out that I plan to leave an endowment to Clemson that your grandchildren may enjoy "gall." I was merely pointing out that I am very generous with my money. I thought that that was a good thing, but you seem to think that it is "gall." Finally, I pointed out twice that I wished your daughter and you well...you didn't even acknowledge that while piling on me.

Jun 29, 2020, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: My daughter is a rising sophomore at Clemson. ]

From your questions, your daughter seems to have more questions about how to live a "normal life" as opposed to being safe. Is she, or you, incapable of thinking about how to maintain social distancing in public? We've been doing this for months now, it really isn't that hard. Buy a few masks and grow a pair. I'm tired of seeing people whine about having to wear masks, it's exhausting

Jun 28, 2020, 8:39 AM

My daughter is a rising Junior this year and we are anxious about what it will be like as well. I think it’s overkill but don’t envy these decisions that folks are having to make all over. They’re just trying to come back somehow. My biggest complaint is the changing of the narrative. Now we are tracking cases as if they have to be zero. Originally it was about hospital bed availability. Best of luck to her.

Jun 28, 2020, 1:37 PM

Hi Connelly: I wish all the best to you and your family. I suggest fully understanding the University and city plan, and being prepared to execute them. Being fully prepared will help reduce the anxiety. Also, exercise and calming music can help. I haven't listened to my favorite rock group Led Zeppelin as much lately in an effort to reduce my anxiety. I think that the university has put a lot of thought and effort into their "come back" plan, and think that it is very good considering that cards that they have been dealt. If they're parts of the plan that you consider overboard, or that you otherwise disagree with, you could discuss your concerns with them. If they don't accept your recommendations, at least they may successfully explain why they did the things with which you may have issues. I really think that the present national emphasis is more minimizing the spread than making it zero. I don't think that zero will be accomplished until a vaccine is developed, the virus dies over a cold dry winter, or somehow burns itself out. As far as hospital bed availability, we are moving towards that problem again as we speak. Below is a link to an article from a Texas newspaper. There is a sobering hospitalization graph in the article. Even though I am for controlled reopening, that does indeed bring the threat of more virus spread.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06/23/texas-coronavirus-hospitalizations-icu-houston/

Jun 28, 2020, 3:54 PM

Thought I qualified pretty well that I don’t envy these tough decisions. Seems you are pretty defensive about something I directed towards another poster. Maybe some calming music for yourself.

Jun 29, 2020, 12:22 AM

I said what I said in response to the "I think it’s overkill" part of "I think it’s overkill but don’t envy these decisions that folks are having to make all over." I was merely suggesting to possibly contact the planners to see if you can get the parts that you think are overkill relaxed. I meant no ill will...and I did purposefully listen to relaxing music all day today. Peace.

If Biden wins, COVID-19 will suddenly not

Jun 28, 2020, 10:38 AM

be a problem.

There is an answer but people are being stupid

Jun 28, 2020, 5:35 PM

College age kids have a greater chance of dying in a car accident or from the regular flu. This is beyond stupid. No one has the guts to come forward with a plan based on statistics and science instead of fear.
But go ahead and wear a cloth mask. That will made a difference....

We're gonna need a pic of your daughter to better assess the

Jun 29, 2020, 4:31 PM

situation. Thanks.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic