Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is this what government control of tech looks like?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Is this what government control of tech looks like?

Jan 12, 2021, 11:06 AM

You guys calling for Twitter to be regulated are more CCP than you know.

They'll be showing up at your house every time you get on TNET to hyperventilate about her emails, etc.

DO YOU REALLY WANT THIS?

https://youtu.be/0B61_5sRoBI

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The same people who pretended that net neutrality was a

Jan 12, 2021, 11:11 AM

federal government takeover of the internet now want the federal government to take over the internet.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wanting monopolies and oligopolies broken up

Jan 12, 2021, 11:21 AM

doesn't equal government control of resultant entities.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree 100%.

Jan 12, 2021, 11:27 AM

The anti-trust rhetoric seems to be coming from the left, though. The right is talking about free speech.

I think even most of those who think it's a free speech

Jan 12, 2021, 11:29 AM

issue realize the only solution is creating a marketplace that allows competition.

I don't mind a large company purporting to know what's best for me to see and not see. I do mind them creating a black hole of competition that would allow me to give them the finger and take my business elsewhere.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And to be perfectly honest, this is a hypothetical one for

Jan 12, 2021, 11:34 AM

me, where the principles of the matter bother more than any actual impact on me.

My only social media accts are Instagram, which I check out about twice a month, a dormant linkedin account that I haven't checked or updated in a few years, and that Parler account that I created a few days ago to see what all the fuss was about and probably put yet another userID/password combo on the darkweb in the process.

Re: I think even most of those who think it's a free speech

Jan 12, 2021, 11:45 AM [ in reply to I think even most of those who think it's a free speech ]

O,

I agree that open competition is the key - to better products and lower prices, but let's not get distracted from the entire oligopoly - Big Pharma, Big Oil, Big Insurance, etc.

The bigger solution is regulating campaign finance and lobbying. Until we disconnect that big money from our politicians, anything that they do will be window dressing.

Some people think the solution is to remove section 230

Jan 12, 2021, 11:45 AM [ in reply to I think even most of those who think it's a free speech ]

liability protections from the Communications Decency Act. I like your solution better and it would get bipartisan support.

Re: your other post, a lot of political issues have no direct impact on people and they have opinions about them anyway. I've never had an abortion and I never will, but I got opinions about it.

Agree 100%.

Jan 12, 2021, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Wanting monopolies and oligopolies broken up ]

The anti-trust rhetoric seems to be coming from the left, though. The right is talking about free speech.

so you do agree 200%?

Jan 12, 2021, 11:30 AM

I'm going to log off now. No one has agreed with me this much since I said Lyn-J was our best running back.

I'm sorry about the schaedenfreud

Jan 12, 2021, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Wanting monopolies and oligopolies broken up ]

Why it's been a farce watching Sen. Rand Paul clutching his pearls right now while he complains about the power of big tech and censorship.

Exhibit A: Rand Paul's “Anti-Trust Freedom Act of 2012” and the “Anti-Trust Freedom Act of 2013”

https://pando.com/2015/10/14/rise-and-fall-silicon-valleys-republican-dream-candidate/

They don't need to be regulated as much as held liable

Jan 12, 2021, 11:51 AM

That will regulate them enough. The way every other business has to regulate itself to avoid lawsuits. In fact, it's a regulation that is causing the problem.

Make the world a better place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wouldn't they just ban more speech then?

Jan 12, 2021, 12:17 PM

If they're gonna be on the hook for what people say on their platform, then they'll probably curtail posting on any controversial topics. Revoking section 230 is more about revenge than actually solving a problem.

A whoppin' is not always a bad thing

Jan 12, 2021, 12:19 PM

Just ask OSU... wait, never mind. Don't ask them. LOL

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

that advantages the oligarchy

Jan 12, 2021, 1:42 PM [ in reply to They don't need to be regulated as much as held liable ]

Your speech would only be as free as your ability to pay for it's legal defense.

Not a good plan.

If your speech needs a legal defense........

Jan 12, 2021, 1:51 PM

It's going nowhere.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not for government regulations for anything else.

Jan 12, 2021, 12:08 PM

Our gov is way too big, imo. I would love to see big tech busted up like Ma Bell so competition could be encouraged.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you feel about gun control?

Jan 12, 2021, 12:08 PM

are the laws that criminals break enough or, do we need the gov't to tax gun ownership and/or take them away from legal law abiding citizens to make our lives better?

Message was edited by: HuntClub®

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our freedom depends on our laws and our constitution

Jan 12, 2021, 1:02 PM

The constitution and it's amendments are the primary reason we have avoided being oppressed by a tyrannical dictator or by tyrannical mobs.

For instance, your freedom to own a gun does not also give you the freedom to show up at our nation's capitol to try to impose your will against the rest of us. Hint, hint.

If that were the case, we would have succumbed to tribal anarchy many years ago, probably starting with the Whiskey Rebellion.

https://www.mountvernon.org/library/digitalhistory/digital-encyclopedia/article/whiskey-rebellion/

That is entirely a different discussion to my original ???

Jan 12, 2021, 5:01 PM

Certainly, I agree that one should not just show up at the nations capital all "dressed up for bear." That is just asking for trouble. More than one might really be looking for at that. But, comrade, that is not the point in my original post - which you did not answer.

My stance is less government regulations on tech

Jan 12, 2021, 12:10 PM

They can regulate themselves. If they need more eyes in the sky to mod their sites, that sounds like a great opportunity for job creation. But if they want to determine what can be said on their website because they are a "private" company, then please to be giving up your safety net of Section 230.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Think Tigernet would pay for a full time mod? lulz***

Jan 12, 2021, 12:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Think Tigernet would pay for a full time mod? lulz***

Jan 12, 2021, 12:17 PM

I would apply. And if hired, "I'm shuttin' this crap down, baby!" :)

They paid Mackey Pillar. Anything's possible.***

Jan 12, 2021, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Think Tigernet would pay for a full time mod? lulz*** ]

Agree.

Jan 12, 2021, 12:23 PM [ in reply to My stance is less government regulations on tech ]

Big Tech has removed all doubt that they edit and editorialize. They are Huffpost on roids.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My brother does this job for a large music platform

Jan 12, 2021, 1:22 PM [ in reply to My stance is less government regulations on tech ]

All of these platforms have the same general hunger for revenues. They want to grow business, not stifle it.

They are economically incentivized to be as forgiving as possible with what is posted on their platforms, but the reality is that the activists and keyboard warriors who are pushing call-out culture, cancel culture, etc is making the job much harder.

In general though, I can guarantee you that a company like Twitter generally doesn't want to lose Trump's business unless it is under enormous pressure.

If you think about all the crazy #### he's posted on Twitter, and all the hate he has generated, it is in a way difficult to believe that it took them this long to give him the boot.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic