Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Im surprised how some of you make fun of mask wearing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 84
| visibility 1

Im surprised how some of you make fun of mask wearing

Jun 20, 2020, 3:59 AM

Like this is all a game. I dont expect people to live in a bubble but common sense should tell you to use reasonable precautions. This whole idea that masks dont work is hogwash. Are they gonna stop you from getting covid19? No. Course not, but it does impact the spread and odds of transmission in a positive way. And that might save a life. To listen to some of you talk, i have never heard such selfish people.

Wearing masks when in close proximity to others is not just the right thing to do but it demonstrates a good moral compass. I wear mine. I do it because its better than not and i want to try my best to protect others as best i can.

Some of you really are sad to listen to.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Friend, I told close friends here in Columbia

Jun 20, 2020, 4:51 AM

at the outset of this mess that dealing with the American people would be a far-different cry than governments in other countries like China, Italy or Spain trying to handle their own.

The American psyche is a completely different animal than those elsewhere, and it involves our history as a nation and people. To wit: speaking recently with friends in France, I told them the U.S. government would never be able to impose the same, rigid control over our people like the French have. My words were, "What do the French do? They strictly obey, hiding in their homes. What do the Americans do? They rush out and buy toilet paper, guns and ammo!"

I didn't believe for a moment that 300,000,000 Americans would grab masks and wear them. Many would; many won't. They'd have to put armed troops in every village, hamlet, city and at every crossroads to try to enforce it...and they'd still face potent resistance!

I don't think any amount of finger-pointing, lecturing, shaming or threatening will work...never have believed such. Rather businesses, entertainment venues, etc. will have to pitch in with requirements for masks, and our leaders will have to continue encouraging the use thereof. Still, there will remain those who resist, and should we attempt strong-armed tactics, there'll be mass uprisings that will dwarf the current BLM movement.

At this point I think we're going to have to let this virus run its course, work stridently to develop an effective treatment and eventual vaccine, all the while appealing to common sense among our citizens. Hopefully, the darned bug will die out on its own or at least become no worse than what we experience annually from flu strains.

And, best wishes to you....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, you are correct, we will have to let it run its course

Jun 20, 2020, 7:11 AM

Let folks who are in an at risk group or afraid of getting it do what they feel they have to do and let the rest of us do what we want to do. It is a free country and we are a free people.

Folks who don’t feel comfortable getting out and about or playing sports or watching sports or eating out can choose not to do any of those things. However, they shall not force others to do the same. This country was founded on the principle of “live free or die”. And by god we shall.

By the way, ain’t none of us getting out of this world alive.

Message was edited by: hufferbilly®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep, you are correct, we will have to let it run its course

Jun 20, 2020, 9:51 AM

Government should help protect us from outside threats, not from ourselves. I'd rather require masks (protection from others) and repeal seatbelt and helmet laws for adults (protection from our own stupidity).

Jun 21, 2020, 12:08 PM

While reading Hartins post, I immediately thought of the seatbelt law. I heard so many people say, "the government isn't going to tell me what I can or can't do".

If you had visited Japan or many of the Asian countries 20 years ago, you would have seen a large number of their citizens wearing a face mask just due to the polluted atmosphere.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2020, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Yep, you are correct, we will have to let it run its course ]

Interesting. "Live free or die" was a motto of the French Revolution.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jun 21, 2020, 11:11 AM

Now its the motto of new Hampshire and a lot of Americans

Please don't conflate "land of the free" meaning you can

Jun 21, 2020, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Yep, you are correct, we will have to let it run its course ]

do whatever the #### you want and put others at risk. That's a straw man argument. Idiots made it political for some reason now the bone-heads follow in line.

You could say, I can drive drunk if I want to - it's the "land of the free" using that stupid-a$$ argument.

I would argue that we are less free in the US then other places even. We make us 5% of the world's population and 25% of it's prison population. We lock up more of our own citizens than any oppressive, banana republic government you can think of. China, for example, doesn't even have a fraction of our prison %.

Yet "Law and Order" is the montra right? Yeah, let's lock up more people and get it up to 30% - now thats a goal.

Message was edited by: PACIFIC BEACH TIGER®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Please don't conflate "land of the free" meaning you can

Jun 21, 2020, 10:52 AM

Lmao. Please dont put the U.S. in the same level as China. The reason there isnt as much "crime" is multi- faceted. Their levels of punishment are much more severe. Their levels of respect for humanity are much lower. If you were in China, there would be no rioting for BLM. It would be suppressed instantly by the military, who would not give a second thought to mowing down rioters. Smh
And please do dont compare drunk driving with a virus. One is completely ones responsibility, while the other is not. While masks may help, you arent able to wear them 100% of the time. Most people that i see wearing them are not wearing them correctly...their nose is exposed, they have facial hair, and the idea that a bandana is actually going to stop the spread is ridiculous. Go ahead and tell me im wrong. At this point, I dont really care. Im so tired of all this hate and drivel being spread, no one listens and has already made up their minds. Freedom really is a dying belief. Safety and the government's (corruption) word are all some people want

Jun 21, 2020, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Yep, you are correct, we will have to let it run its course ]

Freedom to choose and responsibility for self. One person's rights do not supersede anyone else's. If you want to wear a mask, by all means, please do. If you don't, then don't. If you see me walking around without a mask, then stay the 6 feet away and STOP TRYING TO SHAME ME OR OTHERS. You have every right to go out or stay in. This garbage about a government being able to #### away all our freedoms for the supposed safety of others is ludicrous. You feel your way, I believe in mine. To come out with your crap about what i should or shouldnt do exists for your damm world, stop trying to run mine.

Jun 21, 2020, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Yep, you are correct, we will have to let it run its course ]

Let folks who are in an at risk group or afraid of getting it do what they feel they have to do and let the rest of us do what we want to do. It is a free country and we are a free people.

Folks who don’t feel comfortable getting out and about or playing sports or watching sports or eating out can choose not to do any of those things. However, they shall not force others to do the same. This country was founded on the principle of “live free or die”. And by god we shall.

By the way, ain’t none of us getting out of this world alive.

Message was edited by: hufferbilly®

It is a free country. But you don't get to endanger other people's lives. Wear a mask to protect your own family if nothing else.

So you're fine with those who may have the virus, infecting

Jun 25, 2020, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Yep, you are correct, we will have to let it run its course ]

others, because they refuse to take precautions, or do something as simple as wearing a mask??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excerpt from an editorial in the Houston Chronicle - spot on

Jun 25, 2020, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Yep, you are correct, we will have to let it run its course ]

"In the first days after the attack on Pearl Harbor crippled the US Navy and killed 2,403 men, women, and children, US military recruiting stations were swamped. An office in Birmingham, Ala., alone signed up more than 600 volunteers within hours of the news becoming public.

Over the next four years - from December 1941 to September 1945 - 16 million Americans would go off to war, including 407,000 who never made it back.

And it wasn't just the soldiers who served. Those back home ate leftovers and planted victory gardens to make sure there was enough food to feed the troops. They bought more than $180 billion in war bonds and launched drives to scrounge scrap metal and rubber to build weapons and equipment. They volunteered as civil defense wardens.

They used ration books to buy limited supplies of butter, sugar, canned milk, tires, gasoline, fuel oil, coal, firewood, nylon, silk, and shoes. Women picked up the slack in crucial manufacturing by going to work in factories and shipyards.

This is what sacrifice looks like.

Staying at home, except for essential errands, washing your hands, abstaining from the gym or bar scene, or, heaven forbid, wearing a mask in public are minor inconveniences.

Asserting "individual rights" to flout life-saving health guidelines is not only cynically hypocritical, it is callously selfish.

Especially when you consider that the Greatest Generation, which suffered immeasurably to preserve those very rights, is now the most vulnerable population in the novel coronavirus pandemic. The least we can do is put up with some minor discomforts to protect them.

It's not a sacrifice or surrender of rights; it's an inconvenience."

To not care about your life is a poor decision, but your choice to make. To not care about the lives of others is inexcusable.

Re: My Friend, I told close friends here in Columbia

Jun 20, 2020, 7:16 AM [ in reply to My Friend, I told close friends here in Columbia ]

Some major cities are making mask wearing mandatory with a $500 t0 $1000 fine for those who refuse to wear. That will work. Philadelphia is one. Dallas Texas is another.

Hopefully only required when in a store or venue with tight

Jun 20, 2020, 8:21 AM

Proximity to others.

Hard to eat or drink with a mask though. And my glasses fog up a lot, my face itches and it makes me sneeze. But alas.

If outdoors and exercising it should not be required. Try jogging in a mask. You will pass out cold.

you should try working in a mask like millions of

Jun 20, 2020, 9:15 AM

Americans do. There are people walking around asymptomatic spreading the disease when they could be wearing a mask and limiting the spread of deadly disease, but are so dang selfish that they don't care.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you should try working in a mask like millions of

Jun 20, 2020, 9:21 AM

Selfish for not seeing mask ? That’s funny

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wearing

Jun 20, 2020, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Re: you should try working in a mask like millions of ]

So valuing your own personal comfort over other people's health isn't selfish? That's funny

Jun 20, 2020, 10:03 AM

Choosing to go out in Public and complain about others that do not lick the news media and Governments Hiney is selfish to others. You don’t want to be around people with out mask then stay in your house and watch Ellen all day. You will get better results doing that then complaining on TN about it. Or you could move to China , they all wear mask.

Jun 20, 2020, 10:22 AM

What an ignorant selfish human being.

Jun 20, 2020, 11:08 AM

Millions of us, Also a lot of puny little keyboard warriors out there .

Lol

Jun 20, 2020, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: you should try working in a mask like millions of ]

Mental gymnastics

That's a pathetic attitude

Jun 21, 2020, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: you should try working in a mask like millions of ]

Its nigh impossible to stay home all of the time as you are well aware. People needing to buy groceries and other such necessities shouldn't be forced to put themselves at increased risk because others are too selfish to throw on a mask for a few minutes.

Re: That's a pathetic attitude

Jun 21, 2020, 10:12 PM

Most places bring your groceries or pharmaceuticals to your car. You don’t have to go inside.

Then you have to trust someone else

Jun 23, 2020, 12:50 PM

To make the kinds of decisions you would have in the store, and take all the right precautions to not spread anything they may have or someone else may have who they were near. And with the amount of people out who don't wear masks, wear them incorrectly or don't distance well, I don't trust someone I don't know to be cautious about my supplies when they don't give a $#!t about preventing potential spread in the first place

Clemson

Actually the WHO said asymptomatic people aren't contagious***

Jun 23, 2020, 12:59 PM [ in reply to you should try working in a mask like millions of ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Grate poast, Hartins. You eloquently stated just what

Jun 20, 2020, 9:09 AM [ in reply to My Friend, I told close friends here in Columbia ]

is happening countrywide. You also danced like Fred Astaire around your own position, never stating whether you personally are, or aren't wearing a mask. Well played, Sir! :)

Yesterday in Yvoire, France

Jun 21, 2020, 5:30 AM [ in reply to My Friend, I told close friends here in Columbia ]

Took the train yesterday to Nyon to catch the boat to Yvoire. Switzerland mandates masks on train, but wife and I were the only ones wearing. Probably 99.9% of people NOT wearing masks. It's a worldwide problem.

Go Tigers And Stay Well Tiger Nation!

hartins

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Re: My Friend, I told close friends here in Columbia

Jun 25, 2020, 8:56 PM [ in reply to My Friend, I told close friends here in Columbia ]

You have characterized the American spirit to a T .
Unfortunately, our independent spirit has probably cost us a football season this year .

Even the great Fauci pointed out that masks don’t ...

Jun 20, 2020, 7:03 AM

Do much in the way of prevention from getting infected. They may help reduce spread by a person who has it unbeknownst to them.

Also, he pointed out the masks may be more harmful because folks touch their face more often due to the mask. I know I do because it makes my face itch and my glasses fog up, so I am constantly adjusting. Then putting it on and taking it off as I go into and come out of stores.

So don’t buy the hype.

Re: Even the great Fauci pointed out that masks don’t ...

Jun 20, 2020, 9:04 AM

Unfortunately people in our once great country have adopted a philosophy of not being willing to make any sacrifice for the greater good. The only studies available indicate that if 80% of the population wore masks while indoors in public places the infection rate would be cut in half. Our Great Leader isn't willing to set the example so wearing a mask is now a political statement. Thank God we didn't think this way in WWII or we would be goose stepping and speaking German. We have become a super selfish society and I am afraid we are headed down the toilet as a result.

Jun 21, 2020, 10:30 PM

After reading the new england journal of medicine I have learned how to better subvert non mask wearers. wear eye protection as well. It should be easy enough for folks to understand that wearing a mask is to protect others since the virus can infect you through your eyes as well. Thus when I go out I still socially distance and wear my mask but wear glasses of some sort as well. That way when the herd gets thinned it isn't because I allowed them to get me too

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"for the greater good"......get used to this saying America

Jun 23, 2020, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Even the great Fauci pointed out that masks don’t ... ]

the Greater Good cares nothing about your liberty America. cough it up. The greater good blows in the wind like a dirty fart...depends on whoever is in charge as to what the Greater good is. Very dangerous concept. hitlers greater good and gandhi's greater good are worlds apart but are still in the same file.

Fauci, far as I'm concerned is just something that

Jun 20, 2020, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Even the great Fauci pointed out that masks don’t ... ]

annoyingly drips water when you don't want him to. He has no more clue about how to combat this than my Grandmother, and she's been dead since 1963.

Re: Fauci, far as I'm concerned is just something that

Jun 20, 2020, 9:34 AM

I'm pretty sure Faucci has more of a clue than your grandmother these days.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fauci, far as I'm concerned is just something that

Jun 20, 2020, 10:20 AM

Don’t be on it

Jun 20, 2020, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Even the great Fauci pointed out that masks don’t ... ]

Do much in the way of prevention from getting infected. They may help reduce spread by a person who has it unbeknownst to them.

Also, he pointed out the masks may be more harmful because folks touch their face more often due to the mask. I know I do because it makes my face itch and my glasses fog up, so I am constantly adjusting. Then putting it on and taking it off as I go into and come out of stores.

So don’t buy the hype.

Or you could keep washing/sanitizing your hands frequently to offset the amount of mask touching. I’ve noticed more sanitizer bottles inside retail stores so there is an opportunity to keep your hands free of the virus.

Jun 20, 2020, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Even the great Fauci pointed out that masks don’t ... ]

So don’t buy the hype.

Or you could keep washing/sanitizing your hands frequently to offset the amount of mask touching. I’ve noticed more sanitizer bottles inside retail stores so there is an opportunity to keep your hands free of the virus.

Jun 20, 2020, 9:55 AM

Yep... and I do. Just can’t every 7-10 minutes

Well, if you like your doctor

You can keep your doctor.

Wake up, folks

Re: Im surprised how some of you make fun of mask wearing

Jun 20, 2020, 9:39 AM

You can't make me wear no mask. It's my rahts.

Ain't never weared no helmet ridin my Harley and got the steel plate in my head to prove it, ain't hurt me none.

Jun 20, 2020, 9:44 AM

A few thoughts:
I think the important metric is hospitalizations, because once we saturate hospitals, bad things happen (See NY, Italy, Iran, etc). Therefore, we want the virus to spread slowly enough such that our hospitals are able to accommodate those who get ill. We can't "lock down" until we get a vaccine; the resulting economic catastrophe would kill more people and set us back years. The task is to figure out how to slow the spread and keep the economy going at some rate close to 100%. If that means a mask requirement, I am 110% support. If we require masks and look back and determine that we overreacted, no harm done. On the other hand, if we don't require them and look back and find we didn't do enough, well, harm done. I live in NC. Our infection rate as a % of tests done seems to be pretty steady (good news). However, our hospital occupancy is at 80%, with occupied beds increasing about 50% over the last 30 days with a constant slope. That is a bit concerning. I say bring on the masks and bring on the commerce.

Jun 20, 2020, 9:59 AM

And NC is last to open back up. Even CA beat NC. And what good has that done them?

Jun 20, 2020, 11:02 AM

Several things are true:
1-for now, you have the right to be selfish and place not only yourself but others at risk by not wearing a mask

2-the death rate remains 100% despite all the advances in medical science

3-the germ theory has not been debunked

4-surgeons wear masks to protect the patient

So, if you aren't wearing a mask, is it because you are fearless and/or don't care about others? Is it because you know you're going down any way, so let the good times roll? Have you confused your internet search with being an MD? Is that whole germ theory thing bogus? Are surgeons just wearing masks to look cool?

I'm politically conservative. I want the economy and schools to open up as quickly as possible. COVID is blowing up here in Greenville County. People are very complacent here and we are reaping the results. Unfortunately, despite the dogwood blooms being long gone and temperatures warming up, COVID is not fading away. If you want even a chance to be sitting in Death Valley this Fall, you need to wear a mask.

When your actions negatively impact society at large you are not being reasonable. There is ultimately no freedom without responsibility.

Jun 21, 2020, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Im surprised how some of you make fun of mask wearing ]

80% occupancy rate at hospitals is actually a good thing. Hospitals are designed to operate at 90-95% capacity. Empty beds mean lost revenue. Hospital staff now run them as a business and profit is everything. Not saying that's the doctors' mentality, but they dont run the hospitals.

Jun 20, 2020, 10:55 AM

Liberals in general just cant stand to have people not do what they so. So, I'll refuse to wear one.

And as a conservative, it is a chance to maybe off some of the enemies

How can you be so afraid to wear a mask

Jun 20, 2020, 12:54 PM

and at the same time, wear clown makeup every ####### day?

Jun 21, 2020, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Im surprised how some of you make fun of mask wearing ]

Momma tol me to cover my mouth when I cough, but granpappy said she done voted for Jimmy Carter once, so I ain't doin that no more neither.

Jun 20, 2020, 11:14 AM

People in general are nasty. That’s the real reason this virus spreads.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2020, 6:27 PM

EXACTLY!

Humans are nasty little creatures

Jun 20, 2020, 8:57 PM

Never have, will only where a mask when I get my yearly physical in August.

Even a simple 'non- physician' like me (but still with a brain) knows that there are good germs and bad germs. Most of the 'good germs' live in your lower intestine and aid in digestion.

If you insist of wearing a mask and keep social distancing and wash and sanitize your hands about fifteen hundred times a day, like is advised. Then we are living 'germ free' and at sometime we will have lower intestinal gastric problems.

Last week I drove from Atlanta to Memphis to get a dog. I know that's a long way to drive to get a dog. But if you think of it, (if the dogs free - to a good home and there are many scams for dogs since this Covona Virus (or beer virus as I like to call it. LOL). Most of the scams are out of Atlanta so I didn't want to pay any money for a dog. Even a pound dog cost at least $100.00 besides I am 65 years old and was more than ready for a 'road trip'.

As you may know, their are no roads that go diagonally there. so I covered 1/3 of the US on my road trip. Georgia west to Mississippi north to Memphis then from Memphis to Nashville and south to north Georgia. I just made a big circle.

In that time I stopped 6 times for gas and or food. Mostly in small towns.

The only masks I saw (at least 40 miles from a large town) were worn by people who worked for fast food places. NOONE at least 40 miles from a large town wore a face mask.

Jun 21, 2020, 8:41 AM

My dog read this post and cocked his head?

Jun 21, 2020, 10:02 AM

Im sorry that your dog is so stupid but I never said "that this is what you should believe but I simply stated the truth was I witnessed it.

Jun 21, 2020, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Im surprised how some of you make fun of mask wearing ]

At least he didnt #### his leg. And why are you bringing the chickens into this mental absurdity?

So if masks did nothing then why are ALL the health ....

Jun 21, 2020, 10:16 AM

professionals wearing them? You're right, it's pure selfishness and stupidity.

I think there’s a difference between running in

Jun 21, 2020, 11:13 AM

and out of Publix and being in close contact indoors with bona fide sick people all day.

If you see someone without a mask stay away from them.

Just responding to the "land of the free" argument...

Jun 21, 2020, 11:37 AM

We have rules to protect people, pure and simple.

The selfishness of some people is a real head scratcher to me. I really thought my people would do better.

Re: Just responding to the "land of the free" argument...

Jun 21, 2020, 7:48 PM

I expect you to continue wearing a mask until every contagious disease/virus that exists in this country has a cure. If you don't you're a selfish, science hating Neanderthal. Make all of your people proud and wear that mask til you die.

Jun 21, 2020, 11:47 AM

In fact, Trump said that "some people are wearing masks just to make me look bad". He has cost so many American lives with his politicizing this Pandemic.

IKR...Just imagine if he slammed nursing homes with

Jun 25, 2020, 9:39 AM

Covid positive patients like Cuomo did....or put "persons under suspicion" on the same unit with Covid positive patients like those geniuses in NYC hospitals did.....while the Javitz Center was open and they had a hospital ship in harbor.

If it's not an N95 mask, you may as well be wearing chicken wire on your face anyway.

But you're right....It's Trump's fault.

Jun 21, 2020, 6:20 PM

There will come a time when many or most are immune to COVID-19, and mask wearing will completely cease under 70-years old. As for now, in Savannah / Hilton Head, masks are worn at work and 80-90% are not wearing masks outside of work.

Jun 21, 2020, 6:44 PM

How do we know everyone will become immune? What if we can catch it more than once and it comes back every year?

Jun 21, 2020, 9:10 PM

From the CDC website, covid-19 is made of the same building blocks as
The spanish flu
Sars
Mers
Swine flu
Bird flu
Etc.
Covid-19 will eventually mutate and become less virulent. There will be an immunization, same as any flu shot you may currently receive. Its here to stay. The problem is whether we get shut down ever times it pops back up. There are people making plans for that.

Jun 21, 2020, 6:51 PM

Your right to swing your fist ends at my nose... But then there is the silly turn your cheek that not 1 in a 1,000 of you Hey, Zeus actually would practice if you took a punch...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2020, 7:12 PM

Cornflakes said:

Like this is all a game. I dont expect people to live in a bubble but common sense should tell you to use reasonable precautions. This whole idea that masks dont work is hogwash. Are they gonna stop you from getting covid19? No. Course not, but it does impact the spread and odds of transmission in a positive way. And that might save a life. To listen to some of you talk, i have never heard such selfish people.

Wearing masks when in close proximity to others is not just the right thing to do but it demonstrates a good moral compass. I wear mine. I do it because its better than not and i want to try my best to protect others as best i can.

Some of you really are sad to listen to.

Jun 21, 2020, 9:16 PM

Lmao. Im supposed to take advice from someone who

spread HIV
all over
the place

Jun 23, 2020, 12:31 AM

I'm not giving up my freedom to satisfy your fear.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2020, 11:20 AM

If the virus wants you, it's going to find you..The masks MAY stop some droplets, and they may not. My brother lives alone, made 1 trip per week to the grocery store (wore a mask religiously), and no where else. He caught the virus. Only symptoms were loss of smell and low grade fever.

I'm sorry to hear he got sick, but it sounds like his action

Jun 23, 2020, 1:05 PM

Likely kept him from spreading it the week before he showed symptoms

Clemson

Jun 23, 2020, 11:52 AM

The CDC recommends it. Currently approximately 700 humans are dying everyday in the USA. If that was an airplane crash with 700 people on board, all Americans would sympathize with the victims and turn on their TV. With the coronavirus we are getting numb to the numbers. 700 people per day is horrific. If one of your relatives in one of those dead due to the virus, then it becomes real to your.

I am 70 years old, retired since 2012 from the pharmaceutical industry where I had to wear a mask if I went into the clean rooms. We were taught the biggest source of contamination to our products was humans. WASH YOUR STINKING HANDS. AND WE DID UPON ENTRY INTO THE CLEAN ROOMS. WE ALSO WORE OUTER CLEAN GOWNS AND BOOTS. HEAD WAS COVERED AND HAD TO WEAR A FACE MASKS. WE MADE INTRAVENOUS SOLUTION FOR AMERICAN HOSPITALS.

NOT WEARING MASKS IN PUBLIC WHICH IS WHAT ABOUT 50% OF THE PEOPLE ARE DOING NOW IS IRRESPONSIBLE. IF I GET CORONAVIRUS I PROBABLY WILL DIE. I HAVE A WIFE, TWO CHILDREN, 4 GRANDCHILDREN. GO TO THE JOHN HOPKINS COVID 19 WEBSITE FOR THE SOBERING INFORMATION ON THIS VIRUS. THE VIRUS ATTACKS YOUR LUNGS AND MAKES THEM USELESS IF NOT SLOWED DOWN BY TREATMENTS. YOUNGER PEOPLE ARE NOW BEGINNING TO GET IT IN LARGE NUMBERS , SO I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK IF NOT WEARING A MASK. OH AND DO YOUR BEST TO GET AN N95 RATED MASK.

Jun 23, 2020, 2:05 PM

You are RIGHT ON

I am the same age of you and have grandkids

Let's look out for each other and not let this virus kill more people

Already lost a good friend to the virus and have colleagues that lost their spouse - one of which had 2 young kids that don't have a father anymore

If you saw the mass graves and refrigerator trucks in NYC you would see the horror

GOD BLESS ALL OF US

STAY HEALTHY

GO TIGERS

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

when did we get audio on Tnet***

Jun 23, 2020, 12:16 PM

Dec 30, 2019, 5:18 PM

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

Jun 23, 2020, 12:36 PM

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-surgical-masks-and-face-masks

Jun 23, 2020, 12:53 PM

https://apple.news/AlLlq9zRsSja2kQlPSBwOqw

I'm surprised at the condescending jerks who act

Jun 23, 2020, 12:58 PM

that they are my Mama telling me what to do.

I'm a grown adult male. I can make decisions for myself.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I have to weigh in on this one...

Jun 24, 2020, 10:33 PM

I've worked in the safety industry for over 20 years. The last 15 years I have worked for a company that manufactures respirators: air purifying respirators (APR) and supplied air respirators (SAR).

The amount of mis-information that is circulating about face masks is staggering. The words "masks" and "respirators" are used synonymously, but they are very different. Respirators are certified by the National Institute for Occupational Health and Safety (NIOSH) to meet 29 CFR 1910.134. All "respirators" will have a "TC-xx-xxxxx" approval number stamped on the packaging and on each respirator, as well as some type of documentation in the package referencing NIOSH approval.

SARs refer to airline respirators and self contained breathing apparatus. For this post, let's focus on APRs and I'll try to be brief... There is an alpha-numeric system to define respirator effectiveness/efficiency: N; R; P; and 95; 99; 100. This systems tells you whether the respirator can be worn in an oily environment (P) or not (N) and how efficient the filter media is at filtering .2 micron particles (95% efficient up to 99.9% efficient). The COVID-19 virus is estimated to be between .08 and .12 microns.

Surgical masks are not respirators. Homemade masks are not respirators. "KN95" masks are not respirators. "N95 masks" are not respirators. I've seen masks with exhalation valves on them that totally defeat the purpose of a "mask". (Not to be confused with exhalation valves on respirators.) There are some very creative companies out there who are skirting the law because they are advertising "N95 Masks" knowing they are not NIOSH approved N95 respirators.

"Masks" are not tested to any performance standard and are not certified by NIOSH.

Surgical masks worn by doctors and nurses do offer protection to patients as they will catch most aerosol contaminants, but they are not respirators. Air travels the path of least resistance, and if you are not wearing a tight fitting face piece, effective filtration does not occur.

I could go on several tangents here, but I would encourage you all to research the respiratory standards defined in 29 CFR 1910.134, and information from NIOSH, and ANSI regarding respiratory protection.

I personally will wear a mask where required by local ordinance, but from a respiratory protection perspective I don't see the point. I will wear a P100 if I feel the need to have respiratory protection.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have to weigh in on this one...

Jun 25, 2020, 8:55 AM

I get what you are saying. That is a very good technical explanation if masks and their particulate filtering capabilities. But there are a couple of things here. A mask will not protect you from others, but it does do a good job containing someones COVID droplets if it is worn by someone infected.

Something to think about. NY started with the worst infection in the nation. They had some very serious missteps, but they have seen a marked decrease in transmission once they required mask wearing. Thats a fact.

Its also a fact that SC residents now have to quarantine if they go to NY. That is how much their transmission rate has decreased coupled with our rate increasing. Why shouldn't we at least try the mask wearing?

I think you are basing your argument on an assumption.

Jun 25, 2020, 11:03 AM

You say masks do a good job of containing COVID droplets. Do they? How do we know? Again, the COVID-19 virus is estimated to be between .08 and .12 microns in size. Microns of this size will flow straight through fabric masks. Aerosols may adhere to fabric, but what happens when fabric becomes saturated?

There are charcoal filter media that are designed to neutralize acid gas, organic vapors, etc... and there are particulate filters designed to catch airborne particulates. Respirator particulate filters are a physical barrier for airborne contaminants. If the contaminant is too small for the filter media, the contaminant will pass through the physical barrier.

There are so many types of materials that are being used for "masks" or face coverings it would be impossible to make any type of comparison to assign a protection factor or measure effectiveness.

The drop in transmission rate in NY is likely contributed to several factors to include social distancing. It would be a stretch to credit a drop in transmission to mask wearing alone.

My point is, an air purifying respirator may protect against COVID-19. A loose fitting piece of fabric that has been fashioned into a mask offers no measurable protection (inhaled or exhaled).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think you are basing your argument on an assumption.

Jun 25, 2020, 9:14 PM

What do you say to this study from Stanford then?

http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/06/stanford-scientists-contribute-to-who-mask-guidelines.html

I think this is interesting...

Jun 26, 2020, 12:05 PM

"Based on our studies, the WHO now recommends a cloth mask of at least three layers of different materials. The outermost layer should be made of a fabric that is at least somewhat water resistant. That can be a fabric that is a combination of cotton and polyester, nylon or rayon. The middle layer should either be a polypropylene — a spunbond material used in some reusable grocery bags, mattress covers and craft projects — or three-ply disposable facial tissues like Kleenex. Finally, the innermost layer should be a wicking material to draw moisture away from the face."

I wonder how many home made masks are constructed to the WHO recommendations.

Everything you just posted is interesting, but useless

Jun 26, 2020, 12:08 PM [ in reply to I have to weigh in on this one... ]

We are talking about respiratory droplets and stopping/limiting them.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2020, 8:48 PM

At first, CDC said dont wear masks they dont help.

Then CDC said only N-95 or P-100 works. Nothing less works.

Now they say cover up with anything.

Maybe if CDC would make their mind up, I would make mine up. I wear a N-95 some. I am not going to wear some crap that does not work.

Ok, this poast has gone Ole Yeller time to let it go

Jun 26, 2020, 12:11 PM

https://youtu.be/o_OZJcVAiXE

Replies: 84
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic