Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #36 'Tank on campus in 1950s'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #36 'Tank on campus in 1950s'

May 7, 2020, 9:26 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #36 'Tank on campus in 1950s'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this difficult time with no live sports. Long-time TigerNet member Mintaka ® submitted many of t Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

okay dad, you reading this?

May 7, 2020, 9:54 AM

Some story about the tank being stolen on senior day and they ran over someone's car. Took up a collection to get him another car. Dad, feel free to embellish.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: okay dad, you reading this?

May 7, 2020, 11:07 AM

I remember my dad (class of '51) telling me about this incident where the tank was stolen on Senior Day and caused a lot of damage around campus, including the crushed car(s). He was not on campus during the time, but was assessed for the costs of repairs and punished with all the rest. I hope your dad can provide more details; mine left us in 1986.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Dad - Class of '51 - used to tell it that the tank was

May 7, 2020, 11:32 AM

commandeered by seniors and it ran over the President's car - I want to say RC Slocum - that was in the circle at Tillman and they couldn't make the turn.

My Dad told the story several times & each time he sure seemed to know a LOT of details and he got a slight grin & sparkle in his eye . . . . my Dad was historically very straight-laced.

Nobody owned up to it or got ratted out - so the whole senior class had to pay $5 each - or something like that if I remember correctly - in order to graduate - to buy the President a new car.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: My Dad - Class of '51 - used to tell it that the tank was

May 7, 2020, 2:15 PM

I had forgotten that it was the President's car, but that was what he said as well...and makes it all the more hilarious!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang, now that’s a new one for me!

May 7, 2020, 9:57 AM

A tank with tiny Furman-like DV Football Stadium in background.

I did attend my 1st game there in 1957 and it was about the same look, with the top level then being about where our portals are now to go to concessions & rest rooms.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

M46 or M47 Patton Tank

May 7, 2020, 10:04 AM

i believe

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

I think it's a M24 Chaffee, which is a light. The Patton...

May 7, 2020, 10:08 AM

& Pershing are medium battle tanks.

M41 Bulldog followed the Chaffee, M24 being taken off the lines at that time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ah forgot about the M24. Not as familiar w/ tanks post-WW2

May 7, 2020, 10:11 AM

cheers

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

That's a Chaffer, no doubt.

May 7, 2020, 2:50 PM [ in reply to I think it's a M24 Chaffee, which is a light. The Patton... ]

I play too much WOT.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

That's a Chaffer, no doubt.

May 7, 2020, 2:50 PM [ in reply to I think it's a M24 Chaffee, which is a light. The Patton... ]

I play too much WOT.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #36 'Tank on campus in 1950s'

May 7, 2020, 10:45 AM

I wish I could remember that Lieutenant's name. He taught Armor ROTC when I there - '52.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2020, 11:29 AM

Prior to my arrival on campus in 1961 I was told that an earlier class somehow managed to get an army Jeep and hoisted it on top of one of the greenhouses! I’m sure a lift would have been necessary for such a prank and certainly would be needed for the removal. Perhaps there are some realllly old Tigers who can validate this story.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2020, 12:34 PM

When I got there in September 1951 I heard both stories and think they are accurate. Senior Day was some day!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dad's tales of going to Clemson right

May 7, 2020, 3:57 PM

after WWII were always fun to hear. At 18 and going to class with guys that 6 months earlier were on the front line. Still wearing their fatigues. Intimidating was the adjective he used. One year they hot wired the manure spreader and ran it around the circle in front of Tilman Hall.

May 7, 2020, 5:02 PM

I once heard a story about Clemson ROTC students taking a tank to Anderson and hitting a few cars. Can anyone confirm that as other than an "urban legend"?

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic