Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
GITT with parenting advice: How young is too young
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 750

GITT with parenting advice: How young is too young

Jan 25, 2021, 9:18 AM

to have your children help with chores around the house?

My kids clean their mess up every night.

I told them this weekend that I was done cleaning up their mess. If I have to pick a toy up off the floor it's going in the trash.

It is their job to keep up with their stuff. I also pay them if they do additional duties around the house. Like daughter of can fold laundry pretty well (thanks Montessori) so if she folds clothes I pay her for it. What she doesn't know is I pay her from money from her piggy bank.

Smart GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Our 3yo helps unload groceries.

Jan 25, 2021, 9:22 AM

To the extent they're capable, let them help.

He takes in the bag of bread, and light stuff obviously. But he enjoys helping, and that's what matters. Doesn't matter how much or little. Never too early to help, however you can. I know he loves unloading groceries because he knows there's muffin men, fruit snacks, and all kinds of stuff he likes in the bags.

Toys? We chunked most a long time ago. They keep them relatively clean now. Having much more trouble tossing their clothes in the trash though when they leave those on the floor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ahhhh getting paid to do chores

Jan 25, 2021, 9:29 AM

something that I never got. It was "do it" and basically be happy we are good parents and nice to you with a warm house and 3 squares.

I will follow suit. I will buy them what they want within reason, but it wont be linked to doing things in the house, which it's not already. Its just expected and my son just does it every morning and night. Daughter is just too young. She can chill for a little longer and learn from brother.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you just lose me sometime

Jan 25, 2021, 10:00 AM

My kids clean their mess up every night.

I told them this weekend that I was done cleaning up their mess.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

17 apparently.

Jan 25, 2021, 10:25 AM

juss wait...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: GITT with parenting advice: How young is too young

Jan 25, 2021, 10:35 AM

I had chores when I was about 10 I believe. I wasn't paid for any of it. They paid for everything anyway.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As soon as motor skills allow it.

Jan 25, 2021, 10:52 AM

At least for the picking up toys and stuff. Probably a little older for helping with real stuff like mopping or the dishes. That would make an awful mess.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I noticed the kid next door has started cutting their grass

Jan 25, 2021, 11:47 AM

With dad’s permission, I offered to pay him to cut mine. He accepted and after the second time he wanted his dad to pay him too. Dad told him he could either eat or get paid to cut grass. Smart kid opted for food.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Age appropriate work from Day 1

Jan 25, 2021, 12:53 PM

We have basic rules like making bed each morning (as best as they're able), helping set table, cleaning up dishes, taking out trash or recycling, etc. Also schedule time each day for them to clean up (post school, do homework, spend 15 minutes picking up toys, then playtime with friends).

We're pretty lenient if their room gets a little messy. But in general we have a 1-day rule for messes in the general space, and they clean up before bedtime. Of course we have to remind them a few times.

If they're strong enough to make the mess, then they're strong enough to clean up the mess. And they're learning to never say 'I'm bored' because I find work for them 100% of the time.

I also have a general idea of what toys they're not using. If one is out of circulation for too long, I hide it in the box in the garage. If they don't eventually go looking for it, then it hits the donation pile.

Now if only I could teach the dogs and wife to clean up their mess each night.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

26 if you can get them off

Jan 25, 2021, 1:06 PM

Computer games long enough

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My 15 year old

Jan 25, 2021, 1:19 PM

golden retriever helps by crapping on the rug immediately after she comes inside. I guess she figures by doing that, she has moved the poop closer for us to pick up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

kids 11, 12, and 16 cleaning kitchen, bathrooms, vacuum,

Jan 25, 2021, 6:04 PM

laundry and bedrooms daily during COVID (still remote). they get no allowance because the get so much already.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Replies: 11
| visibility 750
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic