Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Muschamp's replacement.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Muschamp's replacement.

Sep 27, 2019, 1:46 PM

Sorry, I missed the thread on it a few days ago. Would like to chime in mwith my two cents worth.

1. Above all else, no one at Clemson should be worried or even concerned over who the next coach will be. As someone rightly pointed out, Clemson will be just fine, regardless of who goes to Columbia.

2. No "big name coach" would consider USC at this point. Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, lIncoln Riley, Kirby Smart, Tom Herman, or anyone else with name recognition would consider it.

3. There is no Steve Spurrier (former succesful college coach who is getting run out of the NFL) out there.

4. USC, when they go 4-8 this year will have to decide, "Do we keep Will around another year and hope, or do we cut ties with him and go hire some "young and hopefully up and coming coach" who is either an untested assistant or a HC at a non Power Five school?"

I have no diea what they are going to do. But, if I were in there situation, I would have already called Josh Huepel's agent and asked if he would be interested, "just in case." (I don't think he would be interested. I think he is Lincoln Riley's replacement when Riley heads to NFL (Dallas?).

Other than that they may decide to go the Herm Edwars / Mack Brown route and hire some 60+ year old ESPN analyst.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or maybe do some real due diligence instead of chasing

Sep 27, 2019, 1:51 PM

the "Hot" name. How many teams are breathing a sigh of relief that they did not get stuck with Muscoot? How many lists was Dabo on when we hired him?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Full disclosure: When Dabo was hired...

Sep 27, 2019, 7:58 PM

I didn't have a clue who he was! Not. One.

After I researched...I was hopeful. Aside from, perhaps, Patterson, there wasn't anyone on the horizon that looked attractive. I'm fine with hiring from elsewhere, so long as there's a track record of substance. But...unlike the 'Hen-house' in the mid-state, I'm not one for retreads...I don't care how many Natty's they had one...in the years prior.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Muschamp's replacement.

Sep 27, 2019, 1:53 PM

I don't think there is a single person at Clemson whether coach, player, staff or fan that is worried about who the next coot coach will be. It sure is fun to bask in their misery though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nobody is going to want Harbaugh, either. Riley, Smart,

Sep 27, 2019, 1:57 PM

and Herman are in the best situation they could hope for, now. Not sure I see Meyer coaching again, but he may. Regardless, it won't be SCar. The best they could hope for is finding the next young non-P5/FCS coach. The question will be, who will take that job, much like their last search.

Like you said, though, as a Clemson guy I ain't worried about who it is. We have a better situation than anyone even ever dreamed about 10 years ago.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got you off the dreaded triple 6’s***

Sep 27, 2019, 7:58 PM

You’re welcome

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

They are going to have trouble (again) finding anyone...

Sep 27, 2019, 2:02 PM

willing to take the job.

If they want an experienced coach, guys like Art Briles, Hugh Freeze, Bobby Petrino or Butch Jones may be their only real options.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: They are going to have trouble (again) finding anyone...

Sep 27, 2019, 2:08 PM

With Briles being the exception because his issues were not football related, I will accept their choosing of another failed head coach because I'm not sure that the scar job is any easier than any other previous job.

Also of note, if anyone at this point hires: Art Briles, Petrino, or Freeze (Liberty included) then they are selling out any idea of morals or positive atmosphere for the program.

Are you kidding...

Sep 27, 2019, 2:35 PM

uof5c hired Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier so morals, character and integrity went out the window years ago.

Frankly, they are so desperate for football success, if those deluded inbreds though for one second that doing so would lead to more wins, they would knowingly, willingly and gladly compromise what little is left of their morals, character and integrity and hire one of those clowns.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they retread a character failure like one of those guys,

Sep 27, 2019, 2:11 PM [ in reply to They are going to have trouble (again) finding anyone... ]

their fans will revolt. I know that sounds strange, but I just believe they would after the botched search by Tanner and what they've been through with Muschump. I don't see the new prez going that route for some reason. A few years ago they would have. Tanner needs to go too. They need a clean slate. They got a new prez and he's going to want his own people in place, especially given the failure that the cash cow is right now.

Again...

Sep 27, 2019, 2:39 PM

they are so desperate for football success, if those deluded inbreds though for one second that doing so would lead to more wins, they would knowingly, willingly and gladly compromise what little is left of their morals, character and integrity and hire one of those clowns.

Re: They are going to have trouble (again) finding anyone...

Sep 27, 2019, 2:13 PM [ in reply to They are going to have trouble (again) finding anyone... ]

Actually, I was thinking that even DJ Durkin might be on that list. Interesting since he was a muscoot product.

What ever happen to the interim UMD guy Canada? He actually looked like he pulled a really fragmented team together from a absolute mess.

I'm hearing Bill Cowher's name an awful lot.***

Sep 27, 2019, 2:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: I'm hearing Bill Cowher's name an awful lot.***

Sep 27, 2019, 2:09 PM

We are talking about scar, not Tennessee.

More grandiose delusions and over-exaggerated optimism...

Sep 27, 2019, 2:48 PM [ in reply to I'm hearing Bill Cowher's name an awful lot.*** ]

from uof5c fans.

He is a career NFL guy and has never coached or recruited at the collegiate level.

Furthermore, he's making $4 million annually working as an NFL analyst for ESPN.

He's not giving that up to go to Columbia and take-over a perennial doormat.

Re: I'm hearing Bill Cowher's name an awful lot.***

Sep 27, 2019, 4:03 PM [ in reply to I'm hearing Bill Cowher's name an awful lot.*** ]

Pay no attention to those voices in your head.

You should probably worry about Taggart's Replacement

Sep 27, 2019, 2:13 PM

Well... that, and what book you plan on reading during the Clemson game in 2 weeks.

Fluxus...That's funny right there***

Sep 27, 2019, 2:23 PM

Re: You should probably worry about Taggart's Replacement

Sep 27, 2019, 5:47 PM [ in reply to You should probably worry about Taggart's Replacement ]

That's why FSU won't fire Taggart this year. 1. Buyout way too expensive. 2. Who would take the job if it was open?

FSU is only slightly better off than S Car. My only hope is that Taggart will turn the program around and we will start to see some improvement. (That's not a big hope. Right now, I'd put my "hope meter" at about 20%.)

The best case scenario is that somehow the Noles go 6-6 this year. Then Taggart fires Barnett and hires Leavitt as the DC (which is almost certain to happen) and Leavitt will actually get the defense looking like it has a clue as to what they are supposed to do.

If the offense continues to buy into Briles and learn to actually run his offense, and if Leavitt can be a miracle worker on the defense (two BIG ifs) then FSU might return to a nine win season next year. (I am not predicting that will happen, just syaing it is the best case scenario.)

Before the season started I predicted on this board that Lawrence would have 5 TD passes against us in the first half. I stand by that prediction. It's gonna be real ugly.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like Taggart at FSU

Sep 27, 2019, 6:02 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You should probably worry about Taggart's Replacement

Sep 27, 2019, 9:02 PM [ in reply to Re: You should probably worry about Taggart's Replacement ]

I still expect FSU to get to 6 maybe 7 wins & a bowl. And for Taggart to hold onto his job. They have plenty of winnable games left on the schedule.

I saw D'Marcus Adams is transferring

Sep 27, 2019, 2:54 PM

has he played any this year ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Muschamp's replacement: LES MILES

Sep 27, 2019, 3:05 PM

He would fit the mold of has-beens like Holtz and Spurrier.

But what SCAR fans dont understand is that they will never be as successful or relevant as BAMA, UGA, Florida, Clemson, LSU, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Ohio Stste, THE USC, UCLA, Notre Dame, Michigan, Oregon, Cal, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Auburn, Mississippi State, Texas, Texas A&M, Maryland, Iowa, Purdue, Northwestern, Ole Miss, Stanford, Colorado, Kansas State, Boise, Fresno State, UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, FSU, Miami, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Michogan State, Arizona State, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt....

Did I miss anyone?

Re: Muschamp's replacement: LES MILES

Sep 27, 2019, 7:34 PM

Citadel?

True

Sep 27, 2019, 8:43 PM

And I omitted App State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia, Wisconsin, Washington, UCF, Utah, BYU, Yale, Army, Navy, Air Force, Harvard, Princeton, ND State, Dartmouth, Miami of Ohio, Northern Illinois, Dayton, NC State, ECU and .....

The Coots are proven failures at hiring coaches

Sep 27, 2019, 3:31 PM

I just looked, and the last coach they hired who was employed as a head coach in college at the time of hiring was Sparky Woods, 30 years ago.

Of the 5 they have hired since firing him, two were out of coaching altogether at hiring, one was a former college head coach who got fired and was back working as a coordinator, and two were assistant coaches - one on their staff and one from outside.

Brad Scott, who was the OC at FSU when they hired him, has had more success than any coach who ever left them. Shawn Elliott, promoted from within as the interim, was overmatched and run off, and is probably happier for it.

So, back to Muschamp for a second. Who can name a coach who was fired as a head coach at one program and later became successful as a head coach at another? Bobby Bowden? Anybody else?

Bobby Bowden?

Sep 27, 2019, 4:09 PM

Which program fired Bowden?

He left Howard voluntarily to become a wide receivers coach at FSU.

He left his position at FSU to become the head coach at West Virginia.

He voluntarily left West Virginia to become the head coach at FSU

It was a question...hence the question mark

Sep 27, 2019, 7:35 PM

I knew he was hung in effigy, so I thought he might have been fired

Why not answer the question? Have you got a good example?

I picture their coaching search to equal or exceed the Vols

Sep 27, 2019, 3:32 PM

in it's clusterfukleyness.

THey aren't going to be happy with anything Tanner does.

They truly believe that all the coaches outside of the sec are knocking doors down to get in with their conference...those (few) who aren't are simply scared.

They will settle with someone that no one is happy with, but the new guy will end up saying something derogatory toward Clemson and he'll suddenly become a hero that everyone loves.

Repeat 4 years from now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2019, 4:04 PM

As a Life long Cowboy fan, I hope you are right about Lincoln Riley being the next Head Coach in "Big D".Only one man I would take over Lincoln, and he is the one man I am glad would turn it down to stay in Clemson.

Sep 27, 2019, 5:54 PM

Are you the bartender at Bimini's that I invited to the Clemson / FSU game?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

I heard they were going after Gene Stallings

Sep 27, 2019, 5:59 PM

Bama, former NC winner, and as a bonus would pzzzzz off Dabo

Sep 27, 2019, 7:44 PM

We hit a grand slam in the 7th game of the world series...Not likely to happen again for ANYBODY for a long time...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2019, 7:52 PM

I think South Carolina was a little unlucky last time that so many big name jobs opened up the year they hired Muschamp. If I remember correctly Texas, UGA, VT, and a couple others.

Wouldn’t have been surprised to see Kirby or Fuente take the job. I think they attract a little better of a coach than a lot of you think simply because they are in the SEC and can pay someone top 20 money.

The hottest name in college football is 'Dabo.'

Sep 27, 2019, 7:54 PM

Most of those you named are just has beens and wannabes. Who's worried about who USuCk hires?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is only one Dabo, Dabo is Clemson, & Clemson is Dabo***

Sep 27, 2019, 8:44 PM

Sep 27, 2019, 8:47 PM

They should hire the coach of the next Southern or Sun Belt Conference team that beats them. It won't be long.

Fuentes might be lookin'***

Sep 27, 2019, 9:23 PM

Molly McGrath

Sep 27, 2019, 10:59 PM

Bc why not.

CHARLIE WEIS

Sep 28, 2019, 10:09 AM

available