Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don Munson reads posts on this board. Question.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

Don Munson reads posts on this board. Question.

Apr 23, 2017, 9:21 AM

Would you say such harsh things to Don in person? Would you have had the nerve to tell Jim Philips face to face that he was no good? Would you even mention how horrible Todd Ellis sounds to him if you saw him somewhere. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't. My observation is that 99.9% of everyone on here are good folks. We may get carried away at times in the moment, but most don't really mean to be ugly.
Sometimes you just need to keep your inflammatory thoughts to yourself. It's just the right thing to do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don Munson reads posts on this board. Question.

Apr 23, 2017, 9:34 AM

Don would understand someone having an opinion. He shares a love for Clemson, but I would actually be polite in giving my view. His mispronunciation of the word "Carolina" the place where he lives is quite unprofessional and nobody seems to have the guts to point it out. That is but one example of where he falls short.

He has good qualities from what has been made known herein and elsewhere, but that does not remove the need to hold him accountable as a major figure representing the university. I just believe Clemson could do better in the long term.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How does he pronounce Carolina?***

Apr 23, 2017, 11:17 AM

Re: How does he pronounce Carolina?***

Apr 23, 2017, 11:27 AM

^^^never listened to a Tiger's broadcast.. Not all in.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2017, 11:42 AM [ in reply to How does he pronounce Carolina?*** ]

Essentially he just forgets the "RO" syllable is there. Goes something like this:

KAH-LINE-UHH.

Apr 23, 2017, 1:08 PM

I can't fault him for that, half the low country says it that way. I think his broadcasts are awful, but can't fault him for using regional dialect.

Apr 24, 2017, 11:36 PM [ in reply to Re: How does he pronounce Carolina?*** ]

KAH-LINE-UHH

I like it. I am going to start incoporating it into my daily conversations with people I don't know.

People mispronounce Clemson as CLIMPSON all the time.

Apr 23, 2017, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Don Munson reads posts on this board. Question. ]

These are Clemson people who are alums or who are longtime fans. While the 'P' version has morphed into an acceptable derivative for those of the rural persuasion, it is still incorrect.

So if you want to harp on Munson for mispronouncing Carolina (which he does), I hope you'll also acknowledge that Climpson is just as incorrect.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Apr 25, 2017, 7:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Don Munson reads posts on this board. Question. ]

My mom pronounced Carolina "Kar-o-liner" with an "er" on the end of words that ended in "a". I never, ever had a problem with that, and I still don't. You would not like to be around me, as I do not enunciate well. However, I always excelled at every job I had. And though she's passed now, I still love my mom.

For me, I'm okay with Don not enunciating exactly the way I do. For that, we should all be thankful. :)

Who wouldn't want to tell Todd Ellis and Tommy Suggs how

Apr 23, 2017, 9:59 AM

terrible they are in person!?

Be nice to Todd, so he will give you good pyramid advice***

Apr 23, 2017, 5:37 PM

NM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Apr 23, 2017, 10:17 AM

Well said! If I could I would give you unlimited TU's or TD's which ever of the 2 are for acknowledging an excellent post. People many times will say things they normally would not say using their real name or to your face. I am not a big fan of social media!

There are some on TNet that can be very nasty and hurtful to others. I have noticed each year it has gotten worse just on TNet. Especially TNetters who provide you with limited information under the screen name.

Thank you for having the courage to tell it like it is!!! The truth!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2017, 10:51 AM

It's not not hard to critique someone in the Clemson family, without being disrespectful or mean-spirited. As for myself, I don't post a comment that I wouldn't say face to face, but I'm not a coward hiding behind a keyboard. Good post +1

Apr 23, 2017, 11:34 AM

Seems to be a lot more mean-spirited fans on this board these days. If you have a different opinion, then u are a Coot. We all need to act like the Clemson family we proudly proclaim to be. We can invite opposing fans to our tailgates, yet eat our own with our words.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who put the "L" in BrowneLL

Apr 23, 2017, 12:54 PM

Message boards aren't usually very accurate at painting the norm of a fan base. Lots of die hard fans here but also lots of trolls and posers. Is what it is.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Apr 23, 2017, 1:09 PM

Yep, usually heavy on both extremes and very light in the middle.

Apr 23, 2017, 11:03 AM

You said this well! Social media provides some with an anonymous freedom to express things that would not and should not be expressed in person. Thank you to those who are keeping things positive, kind, and constructive.

He does a much better job than I could.

Apr 23, 2017, 11:25 AM

Personally I feel he does an excellent job. People here seem to bag on him for filling in the voids with his chatter, but I know I have learned a lot from the guy, and I'm not new at all to the game of baseball.

Sure, he's no Ross Porter or Vin Scully, but then again who is?

Keep doing a fine job DM, the silent majority loves ya.

Well said. I like Don. He's a good Christian man and loves

Apr 23, 2017, 11:28 AM

Clemson.

Keyboard warriors are everywhere and on every website these days. Maybe they pitch hissy fits and crave attention because their mother refused them the teet when they were babies. I dunno.

It's pronounced "L Heff A" and it means "The Boss".

Donny's a big boy...

Apr 23, 2017, 12:30 PM

He should be able to take the criticism.

If he can't, then he should move on.

The bottom line, we had a pro in Yannity, now we have a non-pro.

Oh, I would most certainly tell Todd Ellis that he

Apr 23, 2017, 11:30 AM

sounds like he has a dck in his mouth. I cannot stand that guy. He is the epitome of a d0uche canoe.

But I have no problems with Clemson people. No one will ever be Jim Phillips to me, but I am sure that is because that is who I grew up with.

We expect our athletes to represent Clemson well

Apr 23, 2017, 11:42 AM

in their words and actions. The least that we can do is the same that we expect of others.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I know and support Don. He is a good guy and is .....

Apr 23, 2017, 11:43 AM

loyal to both Dabo and Clemson. Not every school's announcer is like that!

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Apr 23, 2017, 11:44 AM

I'm mad at whoever made a post a few days ago about his overuse of the word "offering". I had never noticed it before but yesterday that was all I could hear as almost every pitch was delivered. Thanks a lot!

Sometimes it is better to be ignorant.

Apr 23, 2017, 11:54 AM

Amen. Don is a good man and he's all in with Clemson and some of these people need to quit being so mean harsh and rude. If you don't like everything about his broadcasts then fine, but you don't have to be a jerk about it. Like the op said, he reads these boards and if you wouldn't say it to him in person don't say it here. And there's no need to be an internet tough guy and say oh I'd say it to his face too. Because if you're a decent human being you wouldn't. But this is the internet we're dealing with you may not be a decent person.

you dont sound like youre

Apr 23, 2017, 12:24 PM

stronger than the average American male....

just sayin.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent post. Don does a good job in my opinion.

Apr 23, 2017, 12:39 PM

He is professional, well-spoken, and loves Clemson. Why people like to harp on a few expressions or mispronunciations is beyond me. I would love to hear some of those people talk. I bet they make far more errors than he does.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Agree 100%. The nasty attacks on DM are...

Apr 23, 2017, 1:22 PM

...a little over the top. Don't like his performance? Fine. Voice your opinion. But to start mean-spirited threads every time the guy is in the broadcast booth is really unnecessary. And annoying.

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Apr 23, 2017, 1:44 PM

My only complaint with DM is he simply does not understand that a radio broadcaster is supposed to make a listener feels as though they are at the game. One way to do this is to repeat the inning, score and a brief game/stats review every inning for those who might have joined the broadcast later. DM fails to do that with any consistency

once again I will say why he gets criticized on here

Apr 23, 2017, 1:55 PM

He's not the worst announcer ever. But the issue is the way his job came about. He upended Yannity and a few others in a rather unexpected move. This unique position he has was ready made for him. So you would expect when everything is disrupted to much, that the person the job is created for must be well worth it and amazing at his or her job. But we can see that that's not the case with Munson

Re: once again I will say why he gets criticized on here

Apr 23, 2017, 5:22 PM

Better than those horrible FSU baseball announcers, is the standard.

Munson is improving a bit, I'll give him that. I think the problem with some fans (me included) is that skill-wise he is a downgrade from Yannity. But I guess the fact that he can be 100% homer since he does not need to maintain some credibility for his day job (like Yannity) makes up for it.

Either way, there is no need for anyone to be nasty about it.

Apr 23, 2017, 2:06 PM

This is a message board. By definition a place to share our thoughts, concerns and opinions.

DM by all accounts is a good guy and loves the Tigers. Unfortunately he is not a great radio announcer. Plain and simple we could and should do better

Not a fan of Munson the announcer.

Apr 25, 2017, 1:48 AM

But I think he does a terrific job with the feature stories and the like. Just think Yannity is a far superior play by play guy. Just one guy's opinion.

Apr 23, 2017, 2:21 PM

It's safe to say that if Munson read this post and had to repeat it into a live microphone there would be some that understood what I had written , and some would ask that it be repeated for clarity's sake .

Yes , I wouldn't ever write something I wouldn't say in complete truthfullness to a person's face . The reason this is is because honesty is always the best path , hurtful as it may be .

DB23

Would agree with you that 99.9% of people on the board

Apr 23, 2017, 2:49 PM

are good folks if it was 25 or 30 years ago. Those days are long gone unfortunately probably never to return.

good I hope he does. Don is that you?***

Apr 23, 2017, 3:02 PM

Apr 23, 2017, 5:20 PM

There is no doubt that people blogging behind a computer screen under a random screen name act tougher than they really are. I sometimes get carried away myself. Same goes for road rage. I'm a bad @$$ until someone were to actually get out of their car and come at me. I'd defend myself but Id be like "oh Sh##"!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've never disrespect Don for at least one reason.

Apr 23, 2017, 5:55 PM

He's a Clemson man through and through. He's dedicated to our University and football program. For that, I love him, he's my brother.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And that's the way it should be.***

Apr 24, 2017, 11:34 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 23, 2017, 9:50 PM

Honesty should prevail.
I TOLD Jim he's good and if I saw Don you're weak.No problem.Period.

Apr 24, 2017, 8:59 AM

Personally, I like the way he calls a baseball game. Said so many times. He gets cranked and excited and then he can get confused but that's ok, at least he gets excited about Clemson. I could never hate on anyone that likes Clemson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2017, 10:27 AM

I appreciate Don Munson and Bob Mahoney and the others that contribute. I am not a big baseball fan. Can't remember when I sat and watched a MLB game on TV. But I am a huge Clemson Baseball fan and look forward to every game on the internet, either video or audio. Second only to Tiger Football. I live in FL, so I don't make the games in person, but having listened to broadcasts from so many ACC venues (FSU, GaT, BC, etc), they all look and sound amateurish compared to Clemson. The FSU broadcasters make it sound like a high school game. Notre Dame is embarrassing. I have listened to CU baseball for many years from places like Afghanistan, Qatar, and the UK, and this crew brought a beautiful piece of Clemson to me, wherever I was.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don Munson?

Apr 24, 2017, 10:28 AM

Never heard of her.

I would absolutely express my concerns to Don...

Apr 24, 2017, 3:53 PM

.... and he'd gladly welcome them. That's what men of integrity do.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

If someone posted a negative comment about Don Munson...

Apr 24, 2017, 4:09 PM

....but he didn't read the post......did the post really happen?

I don't really understand the hate for Munson

Apr 24, 2017, 4:55 PM

It could be a lot worse. Sometimes this board reminds me of high school.

Me either, and it may be more like middle school.

Apr 24, 2017, 11:29 PM

It's one thing if you don't like the job somebody is doing and have a fair, honest criticism, but I just don't get it when a Clemson fan literally bashes the #### out of another Clemson fan who has done absolutely nothing to them personally nor to Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Larry Munson >> Don Munson

Apr 24, 2017, 5:23 PM

But then he was better than just about everybody.

I have noticed DM is improving in football announcing, and I think he's better at baseball than football, it's a more conversational style to bring baseball.

And ofcourse, most people will be much meaner online than in person. But which is more honest?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HEY, on the Natty last second TD call for game winner & title..

Apr 24, 2017, 11:36 PM

DON was the very best of the ones I heard on replays, bar none! Plus, he did an excellent job at the field presentation ceremonies at DV during Fan day days after team returned.

Of course I didn't see any free pizzas! ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2017, 11:34 PM

Thurman Lee Munson was an American Major League Baseball catcher. He played his entire 11-year professional baseball career for the New York Yankees.

What's the question?***

Apr 25, 2017, 9:19 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2017, 10:56 AM

For this to even to be a topic kinda lets you know that Munson is terrible. I think we should just go ahead and make a change, let Don keep his job of following Dabo around and doing stuff behind the scenes, but please get someone to announce that has a little knowledge of the game. We are on a different level now, we don't have to hand out jobs based on being buddies. We can hire anybody we want, put the job out there and theres no telling who all would apply. Don is just hard to listen to, he is always blabbering about the most pointless stuff and making the dumbest points. Baseball is especially hard because there are so many little things that someone with knowledge of the game could point out. Don is always butchering it in baseball, and football he just straight up makes the wrong calls, wrong yard line, wrong player. It's a good thing that most people go in the football games and dont listen because there would be a lot more people asking for a change

Munson is ok...Qualk on the otherhand...

Apr 25, 2017, 11:48 AM

is absolutely horrible. He has no knowledge of the game of baseball and his
description of what is taking place on the field is totally unable to understand.
Please, please, please do NOT let him broadcast games....

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic