Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Multiple teams reportedly have Wilson over Trevor Lawrence
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Multiple teams reportedly have Wilson over Trevor Lawrence

Feb 18, 2021, 8:53 AM

https://www.si.com/college/byu/news/report-multiple-teams-have-zach-wilson-ahead-of-trevor-lawrence

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Multiple teams reportedly have Wilson over Trevor Lawrence

Feb 18, 2021, 8:56 AM

Based on past experiences I'm guessing the Chicago Bears might be one of those teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2021, 9:05 AM

Trubisky revisited!

Wilson looked awful against CCU. I think everyone already

Feb 18, 2021, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Multiple teams reportedly have Wilson over Trevor Lawrence ]

knows that Trevor will be the first overall pick.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wilson looked awful against CCU. I think everyone already

Feb 18, 2021, 2:39 PM

I think so too. It would be 100% certain if he were healthy.

Feb 18, 2021, 9:06 AM

Funny how everyone wants a Patrick mahomes. But what they don’t realize is mahomes has the deepest and most talented receiver corp in the league. They make him look good and rarely drop anything. They are also able to help extend plays and get open for him. This is not a knock on mahomes. He is dang good. But passing on Trevor for someone who looks like mahomes and throws sidearm and all isn’t the smart play. But I can understand the extreme butthurt that Urban has.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone just saw how ineffective Mahomes really is...

Feb 18, 2021, 9:09 AM

when he doesn't have a solid OL in front of him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Oh Good Lord, you can't be that stupid

Feb 18, 2021, 2:55 PM

can you?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2021, 9:06 AM

A BYU beat writer? Go figure.
Zach Wilson may turn out fine but I would not want to be the GM that passes on a unicorn QB that checks all the boxes.
Some franchises just overthink things. That's why the Bears took Trubisky. Lawrence is one of the safest draft picks of all time.

"Some" NFL team also thought...

Feb 18, 2021, 9:08 AM

Trubisky was a better first round pick than Watson. How'd that work-out for them?

Proceed at your own peril.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Feb 18, 2021, 9:14 AM

If I am any team that doesn't have the #1 draft pick of course another QB is above TL because I have zero chance of getting him.

Why dwell on something you cant obtain? Instead make the best of the situation you are in and talk up another QB so that management and fans are excited if you land him.

If they had the number 1 pick they are taking TL.

null

Feb 18, 2021, 9:14 AM

Well I know that he really impressed the Coastal Carolina folks ...... so there's that!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two words: Mitchell Trubisky. It was totally fascinating

Feb 18, 2021, 9:15 AM

(and Mime Bottling) to see similar things happen back when Deshaun Watson was drafted. The NFL teams literally talked themselves into believing that Trubisky was a better draft bet than Watson. We all know how that turned out. Now, I am not trying to say that Jones or whoever they are trying to put ahead of Trevor may not make a good NFL QB. But, I WILL say, just like I did back then, there is a reason that one year starters were only starters for one year. There was somebody better than them in front of them. So, think about that whenever someone tries to tell you that "X" who started for just one year is this transcendent, incandescent talent that MUST be drafted before anyone else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2021, 9:18 AM

If Jacksonville turns to the New York Jets and says what will give you us for the first pick, then I will believe some teams have Wilson ranked ahead of Trevor.

Of course, if Urban did that, the pitchfork and torch brigade would assemble quickly.

Feb 18, 2021, 9:55 AM

That's because they don't have 1st pick. ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Drama for the draft- that's all this is.. bored writers..

Feb 18, 2021, 11:14 AM

wanting some likes, looks and ESPN contracts

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every team that doesnt have the #1 pick or the trade capital

Feb 18, 2021, 11:31 AM

to get the #1 pick should have Wilson ahead of Lawrence on their boards... they actually shouldn't even have Lawrence on their board, but off to the side as a player in the draft.

That's like having Margot Robbie as my goal for my next wife; it ain't gonna happen so no need to even have her on the active pursuit list because she's already taken...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 words: Sam Bowie***

Feb 18, 2021, 12:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2 words: Sam Bowie***

Feb 18, 2021, 2:28 PM

Awe, that ain't fair. Sam Bowie #2 over Jordan at #3 isn't that crazy.

First, Portland was seeking a Center in an era where big-men were still valuable. Jordan wasn't a Center. Secondly, Bowie has one of those freak bone issues (prone to stress fractures) and when he had the big leg fractures that basically ended his career in his 2nd season. He hustled back but because he was not 100% ready with less than 100% recovery potential, he hurt himself further and needed further surgery and was not 100% ever again. You can't fault him for that or even that choice. However, even while basically never healthy for the next 8 season. He had guts to play and was NBA level talent on one good leg. So it wasn't like he was a bad pick....

Also, no one criticizes Houston for taking Olajuwan at #1.

Feb 18, 2021, 6:08 PM

Picking Bowie over Jordan was dumb. Hakeem is defensible, Bowie, not so much. He may have had a career, but not HOF like Hakeem or MJ. Nice try though.

Feb 19, 2021, 10:26 AM

Then you don't know the basketball world. You are just regurgitating click-bait list fodder.

Portland did not need a 6'5" shooting guard. They had Clyde Drexler - drafted in the previous year which basically lead Houston to the NCAA finals only to be nipped by Jimmy V's NC State run. Heck, pairing Clyde with a all-star bigman resulted in a NBA championship - Houston in 95 - Hakeem - old buddies.

I mean it would have been fun to see Clyde and Jordan play together - we did kinda see it in Barc'92 but Jordan and Clyde would have never co-existed. Clyde would not have taken Pippin's path. There was the rumor possibility that Houston almost had Hakeem, Clyde and Jordan in a weird deal - but shesh, it would have been both beautiful as well as completely dysfunctional.

However, Sam Bowie was not a bad choice without the gift of hindsight. With the information at hand, it was a logical choice. Portland needed a BIG, they had a all-star guard (actually intentionally more versatile than Jordan) that while not as much of a pure scorer, was nearly as lethal (more of the Bulls offense went through Jordan - Clyde was about as efficient when considering touches/shorts). Heck Clyde took Portland to the Finals twice - '89 loss to the Piston and then the '91 loss to the Bulls.

So it wasn't that Portland doomed themselves by not taking Jordan. Small-ball was not as effective to match Clyde and Jordan without a Big. Bowie was a likely all-star, very phenomenal bigman. Actually, you would try and pair bigs together - so Portland wanted Bowie to pair with another and then have Clyde as the general. Heck Bowie was athletic for a 7'1" guy. Bowie hid his health issues (NBA money reasons) and then had big health issues and Portland did not really foresee. Stiull the Blazers had two NBA finals runs, several years atop the Western Conference even with 60+ win years (although health issues doomed their playoff chances).

Go back and watch the Jordan vs Clyde finals. Clyde did his part, but the Bulls had the better team. Clyde could not keep up with both Jordan and Pippen and while Kearsy/Porter was good - you had the scenario of two all-time HoF players vs Clyde.

Now, if you really want to be specific about bad decisions, the choice to take Bowie was not bad. Indiana TRADED the #2 pick to Portland for Center Tom Owens. Yup, Indiana traded for an 13 year veteran undersized Center from South Carolina... over picking Jordan. THAT is the mistake. Portland was trying to trade up to get Hakeem but Houston snagged him which was kinda a odd because Houston had Sampson but then again, it was pairing Bigs back then.

WOW!!

Feb 19, 2021, 3:38 PM

there's no way that you are a "future" doc, unless the future reference was nearly 30 years ago... LOL

I've quit entertaining those Jordan/Bowie convos years ago because too many people only reference the one FACT of the matter in that Jordan became the face of basketball and Bowie was didn't...

I admire the detail of that post because those are all the FACTS, but it is rare that these facts get pulled into the convo. Hindsight makes everyone appear to be right about Portland made a mistake, but the devil is truly in those details...

#salute

Re: WOW!!

Feb 19, 2021, 4:51 PM

Lol yeah - and thanks. The "Future" of futuredoc reference is definitely 15+ years old now. It was coined by my inlaws bluegrass circle. I was marrying "LittleDoc" - daughter of "Doc" thus FutureDoc - they just did not realized I started the PhD program a few months prior so it was funny when coined. So it stuck. I can't pick, I can barely hold a radio - lol But I do have Clemson purple robes!

I grew up in a very, very athletic/basketball-focused (and soccer, swimming, tennis, etc) house. Much of my family played college ball of all sorts and a lot are current college coaches. My father was in sports marketing (and always wished he went into coaching - but marketing paid more at the time), so you just grew up in it. The Bowie/Jordan debate is just one of my pet-peeves and I am always up for those conversations.. but I still laugh about Indiana trading the #2 spot and then have Jordans Bulls become their barrier.

5th or 6th draft team hoping Jacksonville takes the bait and

Feb 18, 2021, 12:36 PM

TL is available for their pick.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2021, 1:42 PM

If want to draft the #1 QB on your board and you're not named the Jags... you better

CHAMPA BAY DEFENSE says you might want to hold all our beers

Feb 18, 2021, 1:48 PM

while we #### mahommes up

null

Feb 18, 2021, 2:19 PM

To be honest, I don't care if anyone thinks Wilson or someone else is better than Trevor now or potentially better than Trevor. No ne knows for sure, and to each his/her own opinion. Personally all I would like to see is a long, successful, enjoyable career for Trevor wherever he goes. I hope he lands with a team and coach who can utilize his talents to the maximum even if that means Trevor does not go number one.

Feb 19, 2021, 12:58 AM

Sounds like the normal NFL draft smokescreen B.S. Tony. It's a fun time of year!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s because they don’t have the first pick

Feb 19, 2021, 2:48 AM

Nothing to see here! Move along!

Re: That’s because they don’t have the first pick

Feb 19, 2021, 3:18 AM

I hope TL falls all the way to 24.

It's all posturing. Everyone knows TL is the first pick...

Feb 19, 2021, 9:46 AM

so start talking up other QB's (likely teams with top 5-10 picks who might be looking to trade down and get a boat load of other picks for doing so) to entice other teams/scouts to trade up to get him.

And that's not to say that Wilson won't end up being better than TL. I think TL will be better but who really knows? I love TL but I try to take my orange glasses off from time to time and realize he wasn't perfect. One only needs to look at the LSU game from last year to see that. Many questioned the Chiefs trading up to get Mahomes and to take him over Watson. That seemed to work out pretty well for KC.

Feb 19, 2021, 10:51 AM

It's easy to rank them this way when you know you don't have to make the choice between the two.

How many GM's proudly proclaim, "He was the guy we wanted. We had him as our highest ranked QB" even when he was the third or 4th selected QB?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2021, 10:56 AM

Hello, my name is Bruce Allen

I drafted RG3. "He was the guy we wanted. We had him as our highest ranked QB". I then later drafte Kirk Cousins. "He was the guy we wanted. We had him as our highest ranked QB".

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic