Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Most Talented team in Clemson History - Still Work to Do
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Most Talented team in Clemson History - Still Work to Do

Oct 1, 2017, 10:07 PM

I cannot speak for pre-1979 teams, still this team is the most talented Tiger team at most positions I have seen in my lifetime. Some sports media and fans are beginning to pick up this understanding nationwide but not a plurality. Which still makes Clemson a great bet ATS.

This year's Defense plays with lots of preparation and emotion on Defense. The Offense is buttoned-up ultra-conservative and focused on minimizing mistakes. Lots of running up the middle and lots of QB runs. Wide receiver U may be back in a year or two but is taking this year off. This is essentially a Ford-style team in the modern era, or as another T-Netter accurately said this weekend, Clemson 2017 is Bama 2016. And our Tigers have beaten more top 15 teams in 5 games (three) than any team in NCAA history. Amazing. And Tiger coaches can bank on winning with 13-17 points as talented opponents have yet to demonstrate they can score more that 14 points against Tiger starters. Just phenomenal work by BV, Wilkins, Joseph, Bryant, Ferrell and all the young guys!

Not to shabby. A good place to be. Talent is not enough of course but also love the composure and intangibles. Bama can always compete. Sooners have an Offense but not the horses on Defense. Penn State has Saquon. Dawgs? Too young? Anyone else? So this year's team like Clemson 2016 is playing against itself challenging itself to be the best. Keep pushing men!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ Exactly & well written SOC!

Oct 1, 2017, 10:10 PM

Keep ROCKING TiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post, tu.. but... I don't get the 2016 Bama comparison.

Oct 1, 2017, 10:18 PM

We have the QB to throw it and the talent at WR to make plays. Hurrs was a FR, KB is a JR. I'm stoked to be 5-0 with the schedule we've had, but I'd really like to see us up the passing game.

If we can call "vanilla" run plays, we can call "vanilla" pass plays.

To the point, the inability to create in the passing game was the downfall of the 2016 Bama squad, who obviously lost in the NCG. Call me greedy, but I don't want Clemson to be that team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

A few valid comparisons ...

Oct 1, 2017, 10:35 PM

Hurts 2016 and KB 2017 are both 1st year starters with little game experience or 1st or 2nd team practice snaps. Both QB's are still more runners than passers with initial instinct to pull down the ball and run if 1st option is covered up. And in both cases, Clemson and Alabama are so talented on Defense and most positions, this inexperience has not been a big factor because both Defenses (Clemson 2017 & Bama 2016) are so ridiculously talented.

KB has been hot and cold and this is to be expected of any 1st year starter. KB just needs to keep practicing his game plan throws and building his rapport with receivers. Remember Tee Martin & Tennessee winning natl championship the year after Peyton Manning graduated? This year can be Clemson redux with bonus of Deshaun winning where Peyton's team was not ready. No doubt this Clemson team is ready personnel-wise.

Again, I understand the comparisons, but contend that

Oct 1, 2017, 10:59 PM

that the skill positions on O surrounding KB are far superior than those Hurts had. To be fair, KB is working with a good, but inferior O line to that of 2016 Bama.

Add that premise to the fact that KB is in his 3rd year in the program, and I think its reasonable to hope for more in the passing game.

Now with all of this I buy into taking what the D gives you. Our run game has been pretty good. We'll find out soon enough if we can win passing. Someone will stack the box and make us beat them in the air.

One more thing.. Bamas O was bad last yr. If their D didn't score all those points, I wonder how many games Bama loses in 16. Clemson has the players on O that Bama didn't.

null

Right now KB #13 and Hurts #3 QBR in College Ball

Oct 1, 2017, 11:52 PM

KB has had one bad game (BC) with a 34.0 QBR apparently due to BC Defensive coaches surprising us. To your point, Clemson's WR's are outstanding and RB's are as well. Our coaches are playing it very safe with passing game as he builds more confidence. I hope they let KB open it up and take some more chances as a learning exercise against Wake, not a terrible team. Better than BC.

Yes. Bama will stack the box. And IMHO would beat us if the game was played today. And I'm good with Bama being ranked one all year. Fortunately, Clemson has time to grow KB's skill sets before bowl and hopefully championship game. And sure 2016 Bama O-line is better than ours, but we're getting stronger and I'll take our 2017 Defense against 2017 Bama's O all day long. Our tremendous D, BV's mojo and our inconsistent ST will have to provide some help for this year's O to win it all, but it took Deshaun to beat Bama's D last year ... and Bama fortunately does not have Deshaun so we have a real shot.

Re: Right now KB #13 and Hurts #3 QBR in College Ball

Oct 2, 2017, 7:34 AM

Really? Bama would beat us. Suggest you take a serious look at their schedule and tell me exactly who have they beaten except a down FSU team? You really need to start looking at the 2017 Tigers thru a different lens. This Tiger team is big, athletic, fast, quick and nasty> we would handle Bama with relative ease due to our superior D. Wow some on here just don't get it but perhaps there is hope for you as you seem reasonable just uninformed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic