Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
More on Brownell / buyout
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

More on Brownell / buyout

Mar 20, 2017, 11:07 AM

Did some digging and asking around, just to try and determine how much of an affect the large buyout amount on Brad's contract might have affected the decision to retain Brownell.

When the contract was signed, it stipulated that the buyout would be $3.5 if he was let with three years remaining on his contract, and $3 million if it fired him during the contract's final two years. This is the three-year window.

I was told that it wouldn't have been paid in a lump sum - that it would have been a little over $1.15 each year for three years. The person I asked said, "We sent the band to the last two football games and that cost us $1.2 million, so this wouldn't have been an issue. Not in the grand scheme of things."

And I've asked for a meeting with Radakovich and Brownell to discuss the recent events, and we should have some kind of press conference a little later in the week.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More on Brownell / buyout

Mar 20, 2017, 11:09 AM

as always - thanks

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Thanks - I never understood the "there are 3.5 million

Mar 20, 2017, 11:21 AM

reasons Brownell won't be fired" argument. That's little more than a drop in the bucket for Clemson athletics, and certainly would not have been an impediment to hiring another coach.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Thanks - I never understood the "there are 3.5 million

Mar 20, 2017, 10:21 PM

Brownell is not a winner. That's all you need to know.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2017, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Thanks - I never understood the "there are 3.5 million ]

Mar 20, 2017, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Thanks - I never understood the "there are 3.5 million ]

I just can't understand how in the world it could

Mar 20, 2017, 11:29 AM

have been anything but the buyout. I understand we as fans have a tendency to expect too much sometimes, but if you look at his record, I just can't see anything a reasonable person could see as hope for a different result under BB next year.

I don't think it was the buyout....Dan couldn't get the guy

Mar 20, 2017, 11:30 AM

he wanted for the job so Brad was the fall back plan

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think it was the buyout....Dan couldn't get the guy

Mar 20, 2017, 11:35 AM

exactly - and this says a lot about drad. he only wanted the one guy?? that's about as close minded as you could get if this is true. if vt can get buzz, or gt can get pastner, we can certainly get a young coach with a huge upside

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

If this is the case, then what is delaying the inevitable

Mar 20, 2017, 11:42 AM [ in reply to I don't think it was the buyout....Dan couldn't get the guy ]

going to accomplish?

Re: If this is the case, then what is delaying the inevitable

Mar 20, 2017, 5:56 PM

another year as horrible as this on BUT BB IS COMFORTABLE!!!!!!!!!! that is what is important to him

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That means DRad had no plan. That's not a plan.

Mar 20, 2017, 11:44 AM [ in reply to I don't think it was the buyout....Dan couldn't get the guy ]

That's an excuse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DRad's Plan

Mar 20, 2017, 4:37 PM

Talk to your coach about making adjustments and support your coach. A foreign concept to many people on this board. One of the reasons the Clemson basketball job is so difficult is because most Clemson basketball are negative and bitter. One downturn or bump in the road and they are ready to fire and go hire some ex-basketball manager who once washed jocks at Clemson. Since he washed jocks at Clemson, that means he must be able to coach.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There Wasn't Another Coach In The Picture

Mar 20, 2017, 4:26 PM [ in reply to I don't think it was the buyout....Dan couldn't get the guy ]

That's all message board noise. When basketball manager Will Wade took his name out of the N.C. State sweepstakes, speculation went crazy that he was going to Clemson. Several reports say that simply isn't true. Wild speculation from trolls who were foaming at the mouth for a firing.

I'm not sure Dan looked.***

Mar 20, 2017, 10:23 PM [ in reply to I don't think it was the buyout....Dan couldn't get the guy ]

Mar 20, 2017, 11:31 AM

Well if it isn't the Buyout CBB has some good pics of somebody in the high up.

It was never about the buyout.

Mar 20, 2017, 12:02 PM

Many posters here kept stating that DRad's "huge buyout" was the reason we had not fired Brownell, and that was not the case. If Clemson wanted Brownell gone, it would have happened.

So why didn't it? Simple:

1. Clemson continues to be cheap when it comes to basketball. If we are trying to hire a good coach for $1.75 million a year in this day and age, we won't get much interest. That is not very much, especially for a good coach.

2. Clemson put all of its eggs in the Will Wade basket. This was not in Clemson's best interest. Instead, we should have been in serious negotiations with several coaches so that we would be protected. Did we even contact Crean, Kelsey, Marshall, and other coaches? My guess is no.

So now we are left with a coach who many people don't even want here, who is setup to fail next year, and who knows he has zero support from our AD. Brilliant move, Clemson. We either delayed his firing by a year, or he will be successful here and move on when he has other offers.

And if we are looking for a new basketball coach next year, I can predict with almost 100% certainty that we will continue to try to get a coach for a lowball amount, and have to settle for our third or fourth choice as usual. This coach will then use Clemson as a stepping stone for a better job in 3-4 years, because he will see that we don't support basketball. Or he will be fired in 5-6 years after poor/mediocre results. Either way, we will cry and moan about not being able to find or retain a good coach, continuing to blame everyone and everything but ourselves.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: It was never about the buyout.

Mar 20, 2017, 12:04 PM

Right on judge!

Bingo!

Mar 20, 2017, 12:29 PM [ in reply to It was never about the buyout. ]

Spot on post. I've been watching Clemson basketball a very long time, and I just don't think we're really committed.

Clearly we are not***

Mar 20, 2017, 12:34 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There Was No Will Wade Basket

Mar 20, 2017, 4:31 PM [ in reply to It was never about the buyout. ]

All of that talk was crazy troll talk.

Others have reported that Clemson did not feel that

Mar 20, 2017, 5:02 PM

it was justifiable to pay Wade as much as his agent was requesting ($2.75 million). If we got to that point in discussion, then it was at least open for consideration.

Clemson was clearly looking, and prepared to fire Brownell now if Wade was a possibility. He was not, based on what we have since learned, so Clemson told Brownell he could return.

This is not simply a matter of Clemson intending to bring Brownell back all along.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

How About Let's Be Positive For Once On This Board

Mar 20, 2017, 4:34 PM [ in reply to It was never about the buyout. ]

BB wins next year, gets to the NCAA Tournament, and shows loyalty to Clemson. I think it is stupid to assume a winning season next year will lead to him taking another job. Talk about being negative. And by the way, I want BB here.

Would you want to stay in a situation where

Mar 20, 2017, 5:05 PM

your boss was prepared to fire you if he could find someone better, to the point that a buyout was negotiated because he thought he did find someone better, only to keep you when that other option fell through?

I hope Brownell is successful next year, and if so, that he continues his success at Clemson. But I can't help but feel that the relationship between DRad and Brownell - which was seemingly a great one up until now - is strained beyond repair.

It's not about being negative. I have been as positive about Brownell as one can be, but keeping him under these circumstances is pretty crappy.

I've remained incredulous that money could be an

Mar 20, 2017, 12:07 PM

issue.

Rather, I have long supported the view that our administration's commitment to our basketball program is questionable.

That view remains unchanged.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2017, 12:08 PM

@davidhood®, I'm certain that DRad chose his words carefully when he said, "...I expect Brad to make changes in the program to better position us for success." Please ask him about this at the press conference. Does this mean changes in assistant coaches?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Mar 20, 2017, 12:41 PM

David what good coach would come to Clemson knowing that Brownell is on a short leash? I'm basing that on Drads statement. This is Leggett 2.

monte lee came to clemson....

Mar 20, 2017, 12:48 PM

so whats your point?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: monte lee came to clemson....

Mar 20, 2017, 12:58 PM

We waited one year too late on Leggett. Drad just did the same with Brownell. He's a dead man walking and lame duck coach.

Should get in touch with Brandon Roy

Mar 20, 2017, 4:56 PM [ in reply to Re: More on Brownell / buyout ]

If Mike Hopkins hasn't already. Him or Buckner would be great.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/former-nba-all-star-brandon-roy-wins-2017-naismith-national-high-school-coach-of-the-year-192205528.html

Is Drad just a *ussy? ********

Mar 20, 2017, 12:52 PM

No, Unlike 99 Percent Of This Board

Mar 20, 2017, 4:29 PM

He is a reasonable man with patience. Trolls can return to your holes.

Wait, 1.2 mil to send the band to the last 2 bowl games?

Mar 20, 2017, 4:05 PM

Wowzers!

Sorry! Carry on...

if you that interview... please ask Drad

Mar 20, 2017, 4:45 PM

Why he thinks this situation will help Clemson basketball. Whether true or not, it's in the media and out there that BB was a 2nd choice and fall back. There had to be some element of truth for it to get so much traction.

I would like to know what makes him think a coach, who clearly hasn't produced results on the floor, is suddenly going to turn it around after this fiasco...

How does that work?

Is he giving him a vote of confidence?

davidhood®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another year is a vote of confidence

Mar 20, 2017, 5:09 PM

At least until next March

Mar 20, 2017, 6:10 PM

David, ask DRad what he thinks one year will accomplish when Brownell has clearly been a better fundraiser than long-term coach based upon his record. If Brownell loves Clemson then reduce his buyout and move him into athletic administration in some capacity until he decides his next professional move, but don't tell donors and supporters that everything possible was done to resolve a clearly awkward situation!

Somebody needs to speak up and bluntly tell the athletic director to "either put up or shut up" in terms of substantial monetary upgrades to the program outside of just renovations to LJC which were overdue in the first place. In short you get what you pay for.

Go Tigers!

Mar 21, 2017, 11:06 AM

Ok You go tell DRad, you elected yourself.

I can see why little sports is getting out of hand, Parents!

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic