Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
More 2021 O-Line Discussion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

More 2021 O-Line Discussion

Jan 2, 2021, 9:47 PM

I was on a good thread about next year's O-line, but I lost it. Thanks to Trotsky and others who have posted some thought-provoking posts on next year's squad. Like all of you, I loved Leigh's unexpected signing today as well as the three young linemen who signed with the Tigers early.

As to 2021, IMHO the greatest opportunity to improve Clemson is to improve the O-line. With apologies to
T. Elliott and Coach Caldwell, here are my thoughts:

LT: Parks/McFadden/Leigh. My preference would be quicker Parks at LT with Carman at RT.
RT: Carman/Mayes/McFadden. Carman at RT where he will likely get his 1st shot in NFL.
RG: Mayes/McFadden/Johnson/Tate. Mayes/McFadden move inside. Mayes is a leader. Both can play G or T.
LG: Tchio/Bockhorst/Pennington. Put young athletic Tchio to work in heavy rotation with Bockhorst.
C: Putnam/Rayburn/Linthicum. Position change for Putnam who will have to hold off Rayburn & Linthicum.

Looking for athleticism, leadership, quickness & nastiness (not necessarily in that order. This team needs some new mojo, and it starts in the weight room, the chow line, and the O-Line!

Welcome any thoughts from those close to the program ... Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More O-Line Discussion

Jan 2, 2021, 10:01 PM

I do agree that we need some changes on the Oline, especially the interior OL. I thought the left side was gonna be really solid this year with Bockhorst and Carman but they both were pretty average. The idea of moving Carman to RT is interesting and Parks should take a big jump this year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More 2021 O-Line Discussion

Jan 2, 2021, 10:04 PM

Bewm...

SocMan2® said:

I was on a good thread about next year's O-line, but I lost it. Thanks to Trotsky and others who have posted some thought-provoking posts on next year's squad. Like all of you, I loved Leigh's unexpected signing today as well as the three young linemen who signed with the Tigers early.

As to 2021, IMHO the greatest opportunity to improve Clemson is to improve the O-line. With apologies to
T. Elliott and Coach Caldwell, here are my thoughts:

LT: Parks/McFadden/Leigh. My preference would be quicker Parks at LT with Carman at RT.
RT: Carman/Mayes/McFadden. Carman at RT where he will likely get his 1st shot in NFL.
RG: Mayes/McFadden/Johnson/Tate. Mayes/McFadden move inside. Mayes is a leader. Both can play G or T.
LG: Tchio/Bockhorst/Pennington. Put young athletic Tchio to work in heavy rotation with Bockhorst.
C: Putnam/Rayburn/Linthicum. Position change for Putnam who will have to hold off Rayburn & Linthicum.

Looking for athleticism, leadership, quickness & nastiness (not necessarily in that order. This team needs some new mojo, and it starts in the weight room, the chow line, and the O-Line!

Welcome any thoughts from those close to the program ... Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 10:07 PM

Mr. Elliott and Mr .Caldwell neither want your apology, or your advice, unless of course you can prove they asked for it.
I get so sick and tired of you people who say nothing when things are going well, but when get you @$$ handed to you by a team that's better, or was better prepared ,or had more motivation ,etc
.etc. etc. than all of a sudden you appear out of nowhere.
You say you welcome thoughts from anyone close to the program.
Are you? Close to the program.
If so then you have my heartfelt apology.
If not then try out for the coaching staff since you think you have the answers.

I'm here for you Leftie***

Jan 2, 2021, 10:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm here for you Leftie***

Jan 2, 2021, 10:28 PM

Why thank you.

Re: I'm here for you Leftie***

Jan 2, 2021, 10:38 PM

Hey Leftie!!!

I’m glad Socman reached out, but what he really meant was ya suck. HTH ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are such a horse’s ### and everyone knows

Jan 2, 2021, 10:12 PM [ in reply to Re: More 2021 O-Line Discussion ]

you are not a Clemson fan. Go sit and spin.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You are such a horse’s ### and everyone knows

Jan 2, 2021, 10:28 PM

Are you addressing me?

He thought it was a Clemson football discussion forum****

Jan 3, 2021, 6:43 AM [ in reply to Re: More 2021 O-Line Discussion ]

Definitely need to get the best 5 on the field. Will be

Jan 2, 2021, 10:13 PM

interesting to see if Carman returns.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some of these true freshman, redshirts & 2021 recruits

Jan 2, 2021, 10:38 PM

have been more recruited with higher rankings out of high school. Never a sure thing but Parks, Mayes, Tchio, Leigh and others are more athletic and have potential to start younger like Hyatt and Carman. Competition for 2021 OL positions should be wide open.

Re: Definitely need to get the best 5 on the field. Will be

Jan 2, 2021, 10:57 PM [ in reply to Definitely need to get the best 5 on the field. Will be ]

Carman definitely needs to return imo to improve his draft position. Seemed like he had a few holds this year.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 6:22 AM

Yeah, JC's position in the NFL is probably RT, good post.

One of the things Dabo does extremely well, is at the end of

Jan 3, 2021, 7:06 AM

each season he evaluates every aspect of our team to determine our strengths and weaknesses. When it comes to evaluating the O-line, I think he will divide the topic into our running game and passing game before deep diving into personnel.

Without having looked at any data, my eye test tells me that most of the time our O-line does extremely well with pass protection. Most of the time, our QB's have the time to go through progressions and the offensive line seems to do a good job of picking up rushers.

Where our O-line seems to fall short on the eye test is the running game. It just seems that we struggle to impose our will when needed - particularly when we have a critical short yardage situation. I don't know if it is our blocking scheme, bad technique, or that our offense is too predictable but it feels like we lack a consistent, every week reliable running game.

I've read that some of it may be due to defenses stacking the box to stop Etienne. While probably true, I can't help but think about Jonathan Taylor's tenure at Wisconsin. Every team that played Wisconsin while Jonathan Taylor was in the backfield, knew that stopping Wisconsin's run game was the key to beating them. Yet Wisconsin always seemed to overcome defensive box stacking to such a degree that Jonathan Taylor was a consistent 2,000 yard/year rusher. How did/does Wisconsin find a way to defeat stacked boxes in their rushing game and is it something we can do at Clemson? Was it blocking scheme, raw talent, offensive creativity etc???

Regardless, it will be interesting to see what changes we make regarding the O-line after Dabo evaluates our season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 7:15 AM

Somebody posted it yesterday and I certainly commented, but we need to take critical look at how our O-line is developed once getting to Clemson. Unfortunately, I've seen far too many examples of stagnation and/or outright regression. Our recruiting is improving (good) but first a question: how many O-lineman have been drafted in the first 3 rounds since Dabo took over as HC? ANSWER: ONE. - Brandon Thomas in the 3rd round back in 2014.

Now think about all the decent and in some cases really good talent (hello undrafted Mitch Hyatt) that have all played in the ACC championship games, CFP and NC games over the last 5 years and yet not a single one of them was drafted in the first three rounds of the NFL??? Seriously?

Yet we get 2-star guys under the tutelage of other coaches (Hunter Renfro, Vic Beasley, etc.) drafted, sometimes in the first round?

It is pretty glaringly obvious we have more of a DEVELOPMENT problem on the o-line more than a recruiting problem - though that is still a problem too. Caldwell is the one constant in this whole timeline. Caldwell should be on 1 year deal with specific target grades for the o-line that he needs to meet if he wants to coach again in 2022. Otherwise, he should just retire now and give somebody younger and more motivated a shot at developing these kids.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic