Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Moon Over Waycross
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,372

Moon Over Waycross

May 3, 2020, 9:07 PM

Before WW2. several of us at The Univ. of Florida dropped out of school after the Spring semester and went to work with the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACL RR) in Waycross, GA. All of us served in WW2.Most of us were discharged in early 1946, too late to enroll at UF for the Spring semester so we returned to Waycross to work until the Fall semester began.

My best buddy and I rented a room in a private home near one of the city's parks. We had arrived home after work, showered and dressed for dinner at another boarding house. It was a nice pleasant day and too early to go to dinner. We sat on the front porch visiting with the lady from whom we were renting the room. As we chatted, we noticed two men over in the park walking toward our street. It soon became obvious the two had been consuming something stronger than branch water as both appeared be unsteady on their feet.

As they came closer, we could see that one of the men was having trouble keeping his pants up. The other man was trying to help him but his efforts seemed to make matters worse. The men had now crossed the street and were coming down the sidewalk in front of the house where we were. One of the men's pants continued to come down and the other man kept trying to pull them up. Just as they got in front the house. the old man's pants came all the way down. When he leaned over to pull his pants up we saw he was wearing winter long handles even though it was summer. Now, there were two types of winter underwear. ne style had a "drop seat" with buttons to keep t closed. The other type had a long slit in the rear. This "gentleman" had the type with long slit in the rear. When he leaned over to try to pull his pants up, his rear end and everything else came into clear view. Both men were now trying to pull the pants up but they were so polluted it was a difficult and prolonged task. They finally got the pants back up and went merrily on their way.

After the two were out of earshot, the three of us burst out laughing. I still get a good laugh when I think of this episode. That's why I gave this story the title of "Moon Over Waycross".

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Moon Over Waycross

May 3, 2020, 9:22 PM

Moon over Waycross - is that a Travis Tritt B side?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Moon Over Waycross

May 4, 2020, 7:06 AM

I remember hearing my father talk about being required, by his mother to wear long wool underwear. He said that it didn't matter how hot it got in his Louisiana home town, his Mom would not allow him to remove the underwear until the correct appointed day and you can just imagine the itching in the heat. I guess that was kinda like my own upbringing when I couldn't wear white shoes until Easter and never after Labor Day!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ACL became a part of a series of railroads that became

May 4, 2020, 7:12 AM

what is now CSX. I only know because I used to work for CSX in Jacksonville and spent time in Waycross.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The ACL became a part of a series of railroads that became

May 4, 2020, 10:14 AM

The Atlantic Coast Line RR and the Seaboard Air Line RR merged into the CSX. Their original areas of operation were essentially the same. I don't recall but the Florida East Coast RR may have been one of the others included in the merger.

My Dad was the station agent nd telegrapher for the Seaboard Air Line RR

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,372
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic