Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Missed FG
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Missed FG

Jan 10, 2020, 10:15 AM

I just had a thought pop into my head and did a little research to confirm.

The only times we were held under 30 points this season, we missed a FG for what would have been our first points of the game.

We missed a FG on our first drive against A&M. The remainder of the game we were ok on offense, but never appeared to really get it going. Final output: 24 points.

We missed a FG on our first drive against UNC. The remainder of the game we struggled greatly on offense and were held to our lowest season output against a defense that was not highly thought of. Final output: 21 points.

We missed a FG on our first drive against Ohio St. We had a really good 4 minutes to finish the first half, and we put together 2 other really nice drives in the game, but looked out of rhythm on almost every scoring drive that didn't end in a TD. Final output: 29 points.

I think many believe that we need a fairly quick start on offense vs LSU, but more specifically we really need to get points anytime we have a scoring opportunity because our offense seems to get down when we miss out on points early in games.

Here's to hoping BT is ready if he gets a chance and that our offense can find a rhythm and gets points for it early in the game on Monday.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I sincerely hope we neither have to settle for, nor rely

Jan 10, 2020, 10:19 AM

on field goals to win this game. The only thing consistent about Potter is kickoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I sincerely hope we neither have to settle for, nor rely

Jan 10, 2020, 10:29 AM

77 out of 77 on extras. Yes, his kickoffs are excellent. Field goals? Ugh.

Jan 10, 2020, 10:43 AM [ in reply to I sincerely hope we neither have to settle for, nor rely ]

Yes relying on FGs vs LSU seems like a really bad option to take, but if history teaches us anything then if we have a chance to go up 3-0 on an early FG we really need to get points on the board for the psyche of the offense.

I think it's really odd that we haven't typically had very hot starts in most games, but we have been able to recover and get in rhythm when punting on the first drive, but we haven't been able to do so when missing a FG on the first drive.

and that is an invaluable contribution, but...

Jan 10, 2020, 11:00 AM [ in reply to I sincerely hope we neither have to settle for, nor rely ]

if he can't be more consistent kicking FG's too, he needs to be relegated to just handling KO's and Dabo will have to look closely at finding someone else to kick FG's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: and that is an invaluable contribution, but...

Jan 10, 2020, 11:25 AM

I think Dabo realized during the Louisville game that he didn't have another answer on the roster this season.

I'm sure that the FG kicking position will be WIDE open during the spring and into the summer though.

Agreed but...

Jan 10, 2020, 11:32 AM

Dabo said the same thing about punting yet, other than the Fiesta Bowl where Spiers performed exceptionally well, it has been an ongoing problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Agreed but...

Jan 10, 2020, 11:50 AM

Well whether or not someone will be able to unseat Potter by next year is a different story.

It seems Spiers was challenged by Swanson, but I've heard several times that Swanson goes from beautiful 50 yarders to shanks and very returnable long punts that would put pressure on the coverage team.

I think with our defense, Dabo chose the punter who he trusted could put our defense on the field after every punt. Spiers has been excellent, whether it's with 50 yards punts (very few) or 30 yard punts, at keeping the opposing team from getting a chance to set up a return all season.

We have seen this approach in the return game as well, as we have gone away from the home run hitters to guys who can be trusted to possess the ball and put our offense on the field.

Jan 10, 2020, 2:36 PM [ in reply to I sincerely hope we neither have to settle for, nor rely ]

I hope Potter does get his chance to kick the game winner. I have confidence that when all of the chips are on the table, Potter will come through - and then all of y'all naysayers will have to ####.

Re: Missed FG

Jan 10, 2020, 10:30 AM

Good catch!

Jan 10, 2020, 10:30 AM

that took some digging!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 10, 2020, 10:46 AM

It is very interesting that we do not seem to be as effective on opening drives. Generally plays are scripted but I can't tell if that is the case with this offensive staff. The offense under Morris was always effective on opening drives and not good at adjustments. Now we seem to feel the other team out and then make very effective adjustments throughout the game.

null

Jan 10, 2020, 10:51 AM

I think they have mentioned our offense scripting plays to begin games.

I think the major difference is in the styles between Morris and Elliott.

Morris made a plan to get a quick score, and then he hoped it would still work the rest of the game. Often he was criticized for inability to make adjustments when his first plan didn't work or if the opposition changed what they were doing.

Elliott makes a plan for one of two reasons each game. He typically either tries several different things to see what how the defense is going to play them and then has a plan to attack with what works, or like the FSU game this season he tries to break tendencies early or show somethings that the opposing team is not expecting to see how they will react.

Elliott's plan is not always as exciting to start a game, but it has seemed to make us a much better offense in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

I have no idea who you are but you consistently

Jan 10, 2020, 10:48 AM

produce very insightful posts. Clearly you are a former player or coach at some level.

As someone who is really just a fan with weak "X's and O's" knowledge, I really appreciate what you bring to the board.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have no idea who you are but you consistently

Jan 10, 2020, 11:08 AM

That is very kind of you.

I fear I may be getting more credit than I deserve, but I am very fortunate that sports have been a major aspect of my life since I was born due to family involvement and my own interest and pursuit of trying to stay involved as long as possible and gain as much knowledge as I can from the people around me.

You are correct that I have played and coached and I was blessed to be around some of the smartest people who were willing to share a fraction of their knowledge with me during that time.

Jan 10, 2020, 9:00 PM

Remember early in the season , when Dabo CHEWED BT butt cause he was not ready. Now I understand why.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 10, 2020, 9:24 PM

Sounds like the answer is to punt or go for it!

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic