Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
3 star starters on the 2016 national championship game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 4,948

3 star starters on the 2016 national championship game

Jun 23, 2018, 7:47 PM

According to 247

Offense:
Hunter Renfrow (walk on)
Jordan Leggett
Taylor Hearn
Jay Guillermo

Defense:
Cordrea Tankersley
Ryan Carter (2 star)
Kendall Joseph
Jadar Johnson

Not mention countless others that played a part on special teams and in reserve roles (Marcus Edmond, Maverick Morris, CJ Fuller, Tremayne Anchrum, K’Von Wallace, Tanner Muse) to name a few. We have the right balance of talent. I feel confident we’ll land some additional 4 and 5 star talent in 2019 as well. I’m grateful for the job our coaching staff has done developing our 3 star talent.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 3 star starters on the 2016 national championship game

Jun 23, 2018, 8:11 PM

You are certainly correct but without 5 star DW we would have not beat Bama. Having said that QB is the most important position on the football field and we have a 5 star for at least 3 years.

Trevor Lawrence and last year’s class says hello.

Jun 23, 2018, 8:35 PM

The top players from six different states. Are you guys foolish enough to believe that after last year’s haul that nobody wants to come to Clemson and the staff has gone into desperation mode handing out offers to anybody and everybody before the season even starts? Their history developing players and success on the field tell me they are offering the right guys. They are great prospects or else Dabo wouldn’t be offering them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2018, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Re: 3 star starters on the 2016 national championship game ]

I don’t remember DW being a 5* either though. I remember a high 4*. Maybe a 5* on “some” site obviously should have been all of them.

Jun 23, 2018, 9:49 PM

Yes true ESPN and scout had him as a 4-star. I’ve always believed rivals to be the most accurate and they had him a 5-star. Also they had TLaw #1 overall whereas ESPN has him 2.

Jun 23, 2018, 10:47 PM

Appreciate that bud.

#16 or #17 baller in country per the Mothership!***

Jun 24, 2018, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Re: 3 star starters on the 2016 national championship game ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't harm the narrative!***

Jun 23, 2018, 11:01 PM [ in reply to Re: 3 star starters on the 2016 national championship game ]

Jun 24, 2018, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Re: 3 star starters on the 2016 national championship game ]

Deshaun Watson wasn’t a 5 Star by any recruiting website, because of his size he was too skinny to be considered a 5 Star. Another reason recruiting rankings are bogus.

REALLY??!? Please prove your statement

Jun 25, 2018, 7:54 AM

This should be fun to watch.

Really? Tell me more.....

Jun 25, 2018, 8:11 AM [ in reply to Re: 3 star starters on the 2016 national championship game ]

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2014/deshaun-watson-642

Snowflake Basher........Out

Fake news

Jun 25, 2018, 8:21 AM

Who is this Chad Morrison fellow? Sounds like a guy who would be selling canned tuna.

At least come up with something believable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Lol..You people. ....***

Jun 25, 2018, 8:04 AM [ in reply to Re: 3 star starters on the 2016 national championship game ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jun 23, 2018, 8:12 PM

We still had to rely on our 5* and high 4* guys in order to win. Several people have posted the blue chip formula and we essentially had to do that fitrst before we started competing for championships.

It’s a legit concern but there’s been some dynamite explanations over the last 2 days threads.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2018, 8:46 PM

We had to rely on everyone on the team..... the TEAM won the championship not any single "star" of any type... everyone contributed to the Natty ... as I believe has already been mentioned the guy who caught the ball for the TD? he was a walk on, he was not offered by Clemson... he earned his scholarship... Josh Belk (****) will be likely be a bust, he did not want to put in the work to earn and keep his spot...

Jun 23, 2018, 9:04 PM

Let’s be honest with ourselves... DW and MW put the team on their back. Others guys contributed but those were the men among boys.

Good news is 2018 has dudes like XT, Trevor, DK, etc so we will be good.

Jun 23, 2018, 9:15 PM

Jordan Leggett (3*) had the most receiving yards and Renfrow (2*) had the most receptions and TDs with only two less yards than Williams. Obviously credit goes to DW4 because he was the one delivering the ball, but don't pretend that MW was the only receiver getting the job done.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jun 23, 2018, 9:20 PM

You are right. Renfrow had a great game and Leggett had maybe the single best catch of the game. However, I still believe MW had the best game and was the biggest mismatch that allowed single coverage for the other guys. Either way to your point our WR corps plates well. Still DW4 proved he was the best player in college football and with depth concerns after next year TLaw will have to do the same if any injury happens. Only concern I have given our past recruiting is a bit of depth issues due to numbers but we have an eraser at QB I think.

Mike Williams was the most impactful WR in that game

Jun 23, 2018, 11:01 PM [ in reply to Re: 3 star starters on the 2016 national championship game ]

I don't care what the stats say.. he made several massive catches. He also missed some time in that game after getting his bell rung.

We are better off getting three stars.***

Jun 23, 2018, 8:15 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure. Let's not recruit any 4 and 5 stars. Hmmmm.***

Jun 23, 2018, 9:56 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2018, 8:18 PM

Without two 5 star defensive tackles, nobody wins.

Jun 23, 2018, 8:48 PM

So we had two 5 star DTs last but we didn’t win. Your logic cuts both ways son.

Jun 23, 2018, 8:36 PM

great post....

Jun 23, 2018, 9:03 PM

Ha tigersDrafted you are a stupid coot that is all!

“tigersDrafted you are a stupid coot”

Jun 23, 2018, 9:59 PM

...is extremely redundant but also very accurate.

Just the latest PECKERHEAD on bored.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2018, 8:53 PM

Yes many 3 stars can become great players, plus many of the 3 stars now will gain a star before next year anyways. Stars do not always matter but to be a national contender every year we have to get great players and many of those are 4 and 5 star players. Our staff does great finding the 3 stars that should be higher but if we had a class of only 3 stars odds are it would not be a class that continues to break records like ours have lately.

Jun 23, 2018, 9:02 PM

Blue chips win championships. There is enough data out there to back this up. Some fans and posters here need to realize that this 2019 class is a disappointment. Our coaches are great at talent evaluation and development but point blank so far this class isn’t championship level. Good news is the 2018 class is and the 2020 class is looking high on potential. The 2019 class as it stands today will help with depth and a few projects with high ceilings but overall it’s not a championship class yet plain and simple. There is time left and if we fill out with Crouch, Booth, Ngata, the dt from Hawaii it could be championship level.

Jun 23, 2018, 9:07 PM

coots need to best the Citadel before they can speak of a national championship

Jun 23, 2018, 9:09 PM

They have no chance regardless of what happens against the citadel. What does the citadel have to do with realizing the players we lost out on this year has led to disappointing year from a recruiting standpoint?

Jun 23, 2018, 10:20 PM

We're currently ranked 3rd by one service , 6th and 5th by some others ... and it's disappointing ?
I don't know , I am ecstatic about the potential in this class .

DB23

Jun 23, 2018, 10:29 PM

Think the ranking has been explained. It’s about points from the top 20 recruits. More the better. We need some big recruits to maintain this rating or we will fall back.

Jun 23, 2018, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Re: 3 star starters on the 2016 national championship game ]

Yep I believe we will end up getting the later commits from the bigger names. This is just a big class. We are going to have many 3 stars no matter what this year.

Jun 23, 2018, 11:06 PM

The plan from the coaches seems to be banking on a big season to pull in the big fish. They aren't doing any official visits before the season.

If we can get some good offensive lineman this class should wind up being fine. We could wind up getting Booth and Ngata during the cookout, and if that happens people will come back from the ledge. The 2019 class may not have quite the star power of 2018 but it will probably wind up being a good class and we look to be a great position to have a major hall in 2020, like probably our best class ever.

Jun 23, 2018, 11:07 PM

a major haul in 2020*

Jun 23, 2018, 10:04 PM

Very nice post that speaks volumes..
Especially concerning three stars.
Needs to be posted daily.
It appears to be an accurate list.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2018, 10:17 PM

We could also start a list of all the 6.1 5 star and 5.9-6.0 4 stars that started. That’s a good list too that could be posted daily.

I hope we can add some high 4 and 5 star recruits to this cycle because it’s been proven with actual data that blue chips win championships. We need to close on the big names left for 2019 even if overall the talent isn’t great this year.

Lets not spin this too much.

Jun 23, 2018, 11:02 PM

We aren't in trouble by any means, but lets not pretend like landing all of these 3-stars is a GOOD thing. The staff has had to lower their standards this year since they need to sign ~30 players instead of 20 and 17 like the last 2 years.

Re: Lets not spin this too much.

Jun 25, 2018, 10:06 AM

Not spinning anything. Just pointing out the 3 stars that started in the national championship game, and we’ll our coaches develop talent. I know full well that 4 and 5 stars are needed to continue our upward trajectory.

Re: Lets not spin this too much.

Jun 25, 2018, 10:08 AM

*how well

Replies: 39
| visibility 4,948
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic