Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do we keep hearing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,325

Why do we keep hearing

Mar 24, 2013, 11:12 PM

Dabo brought Clemson into the "national picture" in articles. If Danny fords teams was not in the national picture in the entire 80's decade then I don't know what National Picture is. They don't even say back into the national picture. They say it like it finally happened after never happened, when it did.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why do we keep hearing

Mar 24, 2013, 11:14 PM

they mean in the digital era I guess. Danny's era was film. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They mean in the timeframe of their own careers. They

Mar 24, 2013, 11:39 PM

don't understand that anything happened before that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To be fair we have been bouncing off #10 ranking for a while

Mar 24, 2013, 11:58 PM

Throughout Bowden's tenure we had a lot of high ranked weeks and national exposure. Big Peach Bowl wins in year 5 are nothing new to us.

History

Mar 25, 2013, 12:20 AM

Only goes back 4 years. Just ask a coot about football

I have maintained for many years that Clemson

Mar 25, 2013, 6:26 AM

gained a certain amount of national credibility during the Frank Howard years, which along with other factors has continued to this day. We have to consider Howard's longevity along with his popularity among the media; then, we toss in Danny Ford and his success; following was the media hoopla over Tommy Bowden, his relative sucess and his match-ups against his Dad; then, along comes Dabo.

We may not be an elite program, but the media certainly remains aware of Clemson, and although the NC was over 30 years ago, we have had enough respectability since to be considered by the media. Of course, the key is what most all TigerNetters have stated: WINNING...and the crowds will march in step!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are an elite program.

Mar 25, 2013, 7:18 AM

We deserve the same respect as a program as Ohio State, Florida, Alabama, Southern Cal, Texas, etc. Just look at what we have accomplished recently. Winning the ACC, beating LSU...

And we have done it with a coach who is man of God. We just dont get that respect sometimes of because ESPN is so biased for the SEC. It's pretty much one big conspiracy against Clemson.

Mike, I understand your sentiments, but I try to be

Mar 25, 2013, 8:15 AM

cautious when using the word "elite." Although many collegiate football fans across the nation believed there was overt ESPN bias toward the SEC, I just didn't perceive any conspiracy against Clemson. That was largely due to the fact that the media and coaches were willing to advance us in the rankings, depending on our level of play, and I've just never sensed an "us against the world" mentality during the many years of my association with Clemson.

Though there may be some who will degrade our successes due to our conference play, I believe we will be able to advance, depending upon our play, regardless of that affiliation and regardless of media fawning over the SEC. And I'd be willing to suggest that a whole lot of folks across the nation would agree.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A defense like the late 80s/ early 90s and we'll be there.***

Mar 25, 2013, 8:27 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mike, I understand your sentiments, but I try to be

Mar 25, 2013, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Mike, I understand your sentiments, but I try to be ]

I seem to see us move up slower after a win and be more quick to fall in the polls after a loss than our sec counterparts. That said, winning makes it all go away, and that is in our hands. We are not starting at the bottom like some programs must do. We do have some respect, albeit not to the level the sec enjoys, however. They do have a few elites, though that carry the others, and the East side of their conference being down for several years did help some get some attention they might not have gotten otherwise.

Thats what the haters do...***

Mar 25, 2013, 8:51 AM

ESPN doesn't think CFB existed until they owned it.

Mar 25, 2013, 8:56 AM

d

Re: History

Mar 25, 2013, 9:01 AM

**Nice**

Coots forget all about 45-0, 63-17, 65-40-4 etc., but they know all about that mythical "thumb"....that is never going to happen!!

Go Tigers!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,325
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic