Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Miami loses to #1 CU and goes from 7 to 13 uga loses to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Miami loses to #1 CU and goes from 7 to 13 uga loses to

Oct 18, 2020, 1:21 PM

#2 bama and goes from 3 to 4

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK***

Oct 18, 2020, 1:24 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To be fair

Oct 18, 2020, 1:41 PM

After each game it certainly appeared that the gap between Clemson and Miami was a lot larger than the gap between Alabama and Georgia.

In the end though, what teams below UGA (who have played) would you move in front of them? This year I just don't see any clear cut teams in the 4 to 10 range.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To be fair

Oct 18, 2020, 1:43 PM

SEC bias in full display for the whole sporting world to see.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm genuinely interested in your answer

Oct 18, 2020, 1:44 PM

What teams, who have played, would you move in front of UGA in the standings?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

any of these

Oct 18, 2020, 2:54 PM

Marshall Thundering Herd 4-0
SMU Mustangs 5-0
BYU Cougars 5-0
Cincinnati Bearcats 3-0
Oklahoma State Cowboys 3-0

Message was edited by: GeeVille Tiger®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

You think those teams are actually better?

Oct 18, 2020, 3:35 PM

Or are you just going purely off record?

Dunno.. what have you seen from uga that

Oct 19, 2020, 12:21 PM

Suggests they are better than any of those?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Fair enough

Oct 18, 2020, 3:38 PM [ in reply to any of these ]

I disagree because I don't think I would honestly pick any of those teams to beat UGA. I don't see it as outrageous that they are (currently as the records stand) ranked below UGA, but thanks for answering the question.

I wouldn't bet on any team.. but I also

Oct 19, 2020, 12:30 PM

Dont see how any one can absolutely say uga is that much better than miami..or any other 1 loss team at the moment. They've played 4 games and certainly have not looked like a top 4 team.

I absolutely am convinced there is bias in these polls. It is clear as the day is long. OSU hasn't played a down and they are a top5 team.

To be fair...

Oct 18, 2020, 1:44 PM [ in reply to To be fair ]

Clemson could be a heck of a lot better than Bama.

Of course

Oct 18, 2020, 1:48 PM

My point was only that when discussing the effects of a team losing and how far they drop in the rankings, certainly it's worth noting how overmatched those teams looked.

I just that rankings this year are going to be screwy. There's few non conference games being played, so its hard to determine the level of competition within conferences, and 2 P5 conferences aren't playing yet. Did we really think UNC was a top 5 team? I mean, in a normal year I don't think they'd have been up there.

Re: Of course

Oct 18, 2020, 1:53 PM

It's a miracle that Georgia actually dropped one. But I agree with you. Right now the field is weak. Once you get past the top 4-5 teams there is a lot of mediocrity there. This may be a year where a team like BYU makes a run for a playoff spot.

HOw they looked?

Oct 18, 2020, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Of course ]

They lost to Bama by 3 TD's. Are you saying UGA looked awesome in wins against Ark, AUb, and Ten ?

No

Oct 18, 2020, 3:35 PM

I'm saying that within the context of the discussion on why UGA didn't drop as far down as Miami did after their respective losses it's worth pointing out that they looked a whole lot better against Bama than Miami did against us.

And again, the same question remains, who (that has played) would you rank above them?

It's possible but a lot of things point to that not being

Oct 18, 2020, 2:02 PM [ in reply to To be fair... ]

true. It's much more likely that the teams are similar in strength.

Oct 19, 2020, 1:21 PM [ in reply to To be fair ]

Well whos to say Alabama ain't all that this year/ They did get lit up by a high school team.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2020, 1:57 PM [ in reply to To be fair ]

To me, rankings should be earned and the single most important "metric" is win/loss. So I would like to see Cincinnati (3-0 with a top 25 win) and OKST (3-0 power 5) ahead of UGA. The "eye test" and other metrics shouldn't be considered until you're looking at teams with the same (or comparable) records.

If we want to use metrics and opinions to rank teams then that would be a predictive ranking such as the SP+ or power rankings, but I assume we're talking about the AP poll which is not a predictive ranking.

Re: Miami loses to #1 CU and goes from 7 to 13 uga loses to

Oct 18, 2020, 2:03 PM

Right now with basically every one that has played four game, most are at best 3-1. We only have four or 5 power five teams that are undefeated. BYU, Coastal, Cincy and SMU are the others. Is UGA likely the best 1 loss team... maybe, but I think their playoff chances are kinda shot. Personally, I would have liked to see the group of 5 teams be promoted higher but that is just my axe to grind.

Folks are doubting OkSU still, which might be appropriate. The #3 team could not even score 13 points at home. Jawja being #4 after that beatdown just proves that covid2020 is a weird year. I think Jawja could nearly win out from here and drop in the rankings.

the B10 and the non-players should not even be ranked until 3 games in.

To be fair, Georgia at least showed some competency in spots

Oct 19, 2020, 1:45 PM

They put up 414 yards of total offense.

Neither Georgia nor Miami showed much defensively in their loss, but Miami had just 3 offensive points and 140 yards of offense with like 7 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. And a lot of those 140 were from a single QB run.

What seems to be missing by the pollsters though is that Alabama's defense appears to be extremely mediocre. I think people are having a hard time believing that Alabama's defense is truly this bad, and instead they want to give their opponents some credit.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic