Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Maybe it is just me, but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Maybe it is just me, but

Dec 8, 2020, 11:35 AM

can we drop the "but, with a back-up quarterback" rhetoric when talking about the loss the ND in double OT? DJ Uiagalelei is an absolute stud and proved it with his game play that day. He will be an eventual #1 NFL draft pick. I understand it was his 2nd start and it was on the road with against a top 5 team and there may have been some rookie mistakes and we didn't have our current #1 draft pick, but we lost the game because of our run blocking and I believe the main reason we still had a chance to win the game in the end is BigCinco's play and the ice in his veins to begin with. I am not sure there would have been much of a difference in outcome with Trevor. That is not a knock on Trevor, but more of an appreciation for DJ and what he accomplished.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe it is just me, but

Dec 8, 2020, 11:39 AM

Only so much trust any smart coach putting in a second start rookie on the road. Trevor plays in that game the play calling would have been more aggressive and Clemson wins by 10 or more.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2020, 11:50 AM

Plus what we learned afterwards that he couldn't run. As we saw with VA tech, the QB run is part of our offense. ND knew we couldn't take that chance even if DJ wasn't hurt.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2020, 11:43 AM

Dayum I should have thunk of dat. Brilliant, simply brilliant

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Dec 8, 2020, 12:29 PM

There isn't a ton of difference in DJ and Trevor's natural ability.

DJ's natural ability is not why the narrative is out there.

Trevor's knowledge of how to adjust protections and his freedom to make changes at the line is where the two QBs have great separation.

Those intangible reasons are why people think Trevor will make a difference.

Also you blaming the run blocking is a perfect example of what the coaches have said DJ wasn't comfortable getting out of plays that weren't going to work from the start.

Trevor playing doesn't guarantee a win, but his knowledge of the game and reading defenses separates the two players.

What really lost that game, and what the narrative should be

Dec 8, 2020, 12:38 PM

when they talk about it, was "we were missing half the defensive starters" if not before the game, by the middle of the game. I have never seen another Clemson game where players were dropping like flies as much as that one.

Skalski, Davis, and Jones Jr missing that game is what the key to the loss was. As hopefully will be proven Satdiddy after next.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2020, 1:57 PM

I agree that DJU played well enough that you certainly can't blame the loss on him. I mostly disagree though on the run blocking costing us the game. Certainly better run blocking would've opened up more things for us on offense, and so the lack of run game certainly didn't do us any favors. However, I just have a hard time saying the run blocking cost us the win in a game in which we scored 40 points. I think our injuries on defense were a much larger factor than anything else.

Dec 8, 2020, 2:22 PM

Trevor being out and DJ already being hampered by an injury himself caused the offensive play calling to be toned back somewhat. The Tigers were short the services of their 3rd string qb in that game as well if my memory serves me correctly.

Clemson wasn't able to run the qb, which is a major weapon, against the Irish as much as they normally do in big games like that. Taking that phase away from the offense was huge, but we all got to witness just how great DJU will be in the passing game.

If DJ's shoulder hadn't been dinged up and if TP had been available as insurance, they may have ran DJ a little more, but even that scenario is unlikely to have happened. The qb run game with Trevor will help this offense and it will help ETN as well as the passing game. It opens things a little more. Hopefully take away the "rookie" miscues, like the fumble for a touchdown, and things are different.

I don't like the "what it's" or the "should've" and "would've". Fact is that this Tiger team had the lead late in the 4th, on the road and with their back up qb ( who made rookie mistakes, but also played like a franchise qb) and missing starters on defense, including there defensive leader in Skalski.

I'm not dismissing the Irish at all,. Though I do know that the Irish have yet to face the true Tiger team this season. If all goes well, they will be able to see how they measure up against a healthy and rested Clemson team. It will be a whole new experience for them, trust me. They might think that they know what this Tiger team is capable of, but they are mistaking.

Dec 8, 2020, 3:01 PM

To me it's not so much the quarterback being out as it was the 4 guys out on defense. I don't blame the loss on players being out, but I'll sure be glad to have them back for this game.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic