Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Geez I hope they don't pass this 9 game ACC schedule
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Geez I hope they don't pass this 9 game ACC schedule

Aug 11, 2016, 9:54 PM

We will be stuck with 9 ACC opponents, SCAR and two cupcakes with ND thrown in ever so often. Guess we can kiss the Texas A&M series away if this happens.
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2016/08/11/nine-game-acc-schedule/88560272/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, hopefully they approve the 8+2 model instead***

Aug 11, 2016, 10:01 PM

Thats a problem though because many ACC schools

Aug 11, 2016, 10:17 PM

other than CU,GT and FSU have a problem finding two Power 5 OOC opponents to schedule.

grrowl nailed it! That's why I think the nine game aced is inevitable

Aug 12, 2016, 6:18 AM

Not saying I like it but I can see it coming

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because 3 out of the 5 P5 conference's are already playing

Aug 12, 2016, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Thats a problem though because many ACC schools ]

9 conference games.

On the brightside it will end the tie-breaker

Aug 12, 2016, 8:25 AM

and sharing the division crown

9 games actually enhances the odds for ties

Aug 12, 2016, 11:47 AM

in divisions, plus it enhances the odds of re-matches in the ACCCG.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Geez I hope they don't pass this 9 game ACC schedule

Aug 11, 2016, 10:01 PM

the alternative is 8 ACC games and 2 Power5 aopponents. I like this option best.

9 ACC games would be detrimental. Let UNC and Wake

Aug 11, 2016, 10:06 PM

Schedule more games against each other as non-conference games and be done with it. If the tables were turned and ESPN were asking for a change in the basketball schedule that prevented a home and home with Duke & UNC there would be revolt. This needs to be stopped now.

Re: 9 ACC games would be detrimental. Let UNC and Wake

Aug 11, 2016, 10:25 PM

This dilemma is made up. WE choose to play two cupcakes every year, nobody else. We "need" the 7th home vs. 6.5, which is what a home-and-home replacement for one of them would be. It's honestly ridiculous and we have nobody to blame but our pu$$ified athletic department.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe, but there is no way we will play 9 ACC

Aug 11, 2016, 10:56 PM

Games plus Scar & another power 5 like an Auburn every year and lose 2-3 million on top of that in lost ticket revenue. Plus, why fix something that isn't broke? The problem is teams like NCST playing 4 cupcakes annually.

Only 4 schools this year play 11 Power 5 teams.

Aug 12, 2016, 12:54 AM

If we schedule anyone else other than ACC and SCar we become significant outliers in the entirety of college football.

The 4? Texas, USC, Stanford, and some other Pac team I can't recall.

What a hose job if the AD's go this way. It won't only harm Clemson, it will harm the league with the loss of extra OOC games from some of their bigger football draws.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we played 13 power 5 teams last year

Aug 12, 2016, 6:12 AM

we aint skeered

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the ACC or SEC go to 9, you can essentially kiss

Aug 11, 2016, 11:16 PM

Clemson-SC, UGA-GTech, Louisville-UK, and FSU-UF good bye.

Re: If the ACC or SEC go to 9, you can essentially kiss

Aug 12, 2016, 12:01 AM

Isn't there a SC law that we have to play South Carolina?

They aren't getting out that easy

Aug 12, 2016, 4:14 AM

> Isn't there a SC law that we have to play South
> Carolina?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They aren't getting out that easy

Aug 12, 2016, 4:38 AM

There is no way fsu gt Clem and Louis are going to go quietly with this if it ever happens. 10 of 12, and 11 of 12 in ND years is asinine and taking away 7 home games cash is also asinine. The 8+2 model is where it's at. Remember, The leagues with 9 games primarily have their largest rivalries IN LEAGUE, the ACC and SEC have a substatial amount out of league, plus the ACC has the ND five game factor on top of that. 9 conference games given all of these FACTS is not practical.

Aug 11, 2016, 11:23 PM

The ACC needs to take away the FCS games. I'd like to see us stop playing them

Aug 11, 2016, 11:50 PM

The ACC won't allow more than one FCS game per year with either option. The television contract along with the four team playoff will dictate that change. FSU, Ga. Tech, Louisville and Clemson about to give up strong rivalry series. I believe the 8-2 schedule will work best for the conference and force positive schedule enhancement across the divisions. I do wish FSU and Clemson were in opposite divisions. Move FSU and put Va. Tech in their place. Keep either FSU or Ga. Tech as a crossover foe. The years we play ND they would as the second major opponent.

Go Tigers!

Aug 11, 2016, 11:33 PM

The other teams can't fill their stadiums... They need us and are willing to do whatever

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

A deciding point... (no negotiation).***

Aug 12, 2016, 12:15 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While part of me is against it...

Aug 12, 2016, 12:23 AM

The other part of me doesn't mind. I only wish to play OOC teams for nostalgia purposes. Clemson vs Georgia, is a perfect example of a series that I miss due to our ACC affiliation. But truth be told, I will take the 9 ACC teams any day. The "SEC is the best" bull crap, that's been playing out for years is slowly dying. More and more people (journalists included) are starting to realize that, "in conference" play is pretty tough. Yes, every conference has their softies. But every now and then a Wake can stand up and bite you in the butt. (Or a Citadel if you're a little brother.) Over all, the ACC has added some decent football schools over the years. It's time for the entire conference to stand up and act like they belong there. This stands true for the fans too.

Go Tigers!

Variety is important, and OOC litmus tests not named SCar

Aug 12, 2016, 1:04 AM

are important in today's landscape, whichever conference it's from.

Irony is, if we do add a big OOC game with 9 games, it will likely by a neutral site game which won't hurt quite as much financially to the program (can't say the same for the town), but won't belong to our media partner because it's not a home game.

Maybe the litmus test is important or maybe not.

Aug 12, 2016, 5:17 AM

Yeah we need one game out of conference (and we already got it), but Bama spends every year pretending like Auburn counts. I guess we will spend this off season pretending like they count as well, but truth be told... It's just another W.

Re: Variety is important, and OOC litmus tests not named SCar

Aug 12, 2016, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Variety is important, and OOC litmus tests not named SCar ]

Why not have 8 + 2 and the teams that cannot schedule any power 5 teams be matched with another ACC member and count as the +2. Those in favor for 9 then can schedule another ACC team.

Re: Variety is important, and OOC litmus tests not named SCar

Aug 12, 2016, 10:31 AM

How about manning up and playing 9 conference games, 2 P5 games, and 1 cupcake? Don't we have another cupcake named Wake Forest we play every year anyway?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It will eliminate us playing home and homes vs the auburns and a&m's of the world

Aug 12, 2016, 10:40 AM

If we want to keep playing 7 home games every year.

lets be real men require 9 ACC 2 P5 & 1 mid major no FCS***

Aug 12, 2016, 6:53 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

David Teel Implies 9 Games is a Done Deal

Aug 12, 2016, 7:51 AM

David Teel from The Daily Press has a pretty good track record on the ACC. He doesn't come right out and say it but there is a strong implication that it will be 9 games.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-nine-vote-post.html

I live in VA so I would definitely like the Tigers to play UVA and VA Tech up here more often but I would prefer the 8+2 format and ditch the permanent crossover. Not that my opinion matters :(. Kinda hate to say it but I miss the Twerps. At least it was a reasonably close away game every other year and a good weekend in Baltimore.

Sounds like ACC is ready to stab Clemson and FSU in the back

Aug 12, 2016, 8:13 AM

for eSECpn and for smaller "valuable" schools like Richmond and Western Carolina.

I see the Clown laughing with his eSECpn money.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Teel is a big-time 9-game advocate, which doesn't help

Aug 12, 2016, 1:49 PM [ in reply to David Teel Implies 9 Games is a Done Deal ]

the matter. If you get a chance check out his "How 9 ACC Games Could Work" piece. It's so full of holes it's scary, and he makes this big push by listing 25 or so teams that "sacrifice millions for scheduling" though almost half have only 9 Power 5 games or less, and many listed have neutral site games in their back yard. Only 4 have more Power 5 games than FSU and Clemson. 4 out of 68 Power 5 programs. This is a serious hose job.

I get tired also of the division elitism thing. I would much rather play more Coastal teams than being annually stuck with BC, Syracuse, and Wake Forest, yet these fabricated divisions force this. Wasteful.

Didnt Clemson and Fla St. vote to the 8-2 last time?

Aug 12, 2016, 8:00 AM

This is about controlling TV revenues when an ACC team...

Aug 12, 2016, 8:17 AM

plays. It keeps more ACC games on our network. It keeps us abreast of the other P5 conferences in number of conference games scheduled but it's going to leave a mark on Clemson's revenues if we lose a home game. I do not see that happening but who knows?

I'm guessing the P5 conferences are in collusion and are reworking the revenue pie chart somehow. If it's about money you can bet it will happen. I have no problem with Clemson playing nine ACC games. It's possible that some of the teams with smaller stadiums may rather take a big payoff to come to DV rather than hose a home game. Who knows what this bunch that runs the ACC has up their sleeves?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is about controlling TV revenues when an ACC team...

Aug 12, 2016, 8:36 AM

It's always about $$$$$$$$$$$

Will playoff committee retool how they pick and rank schools

Aug 12, 2016, 8:53 AM [ in reply to This is about controlling TV revenues when an ACC team... ]

who play 9 opponents in conferences that are weaker? If not, not fair to us.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Geography as much as anything helps drive the boat

Aug 12, 2016, 11:32 AM [ in reply to This is about controlling TV revenues when an ACC team... ]

on 9 games with the B1G, Big 12, and PAC. West of the Mississippi the number of competitive football programs die off substantially, and it's giant state schools that exist mostly instead.

The east and south are vastly different, and flush with many outstanding and competitive programs that aren't a Power 5, but are part of the fabric of the area.

Homogenizing college football is going to rip the heart out of it eventually. One size doesn't fit all, as the ACC should be fully aware considering how different our own league makeup is compared to the other leagues, with many smaller schools, smaller stadiums, smaller fan bases.

Reports are coming in that only Mark Richt was in favor of

Aug 12, 2016, 11:43 AM

a nine game conference schedule.

Syracuse coach was indifferent.

Us, FSU, GT, UofL, all adamantly opposed to the change as expected.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

link

Aug 12, 2016, 11:44 AM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17282288/acc-athletic-directors-undecided-conference-scheduling-requirements

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

I hope us, FSU, GT and UL all added to the argument....

Aug 12, 2016, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Reports are coming in that only Mark Richt was in favor of ]

with our fellow ACC creampuffs... The Big 12 is waiting and standing by.

Re: I hope us, FSU, GT and UL all added to the argument....

Aug 12, 2016, 12:03 PM

Nobody is going to the Big 12 from the ACC, the grant of rights was just extended to 2036.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

I know. This could be the the kind of thanks we get for

Aug 12, 2016, 12:27 PM

continuing to align ourselves and giving over our rights over to a bunch of lightweights who only really care about basketball.

I'm sure some attorney could figure out how to use the 9

Aug 12, 2016, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope us, FSU, GT and UL all added to the argument.... ]

Game schedule and the loss associated with the lack of a 7th home game as a way to nullify the grant of rights.

Aug 12, 2016, 12:06 PM

Isn't all this talk coming up because ESPN would add more money to the tv contract? If the added money makes up for the loss revenue from a 7th home game every other year we could still have quality OOC games.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

It's hard to fathom how adding 7 more ACC games per

Aug 12, 2016, 12:23 PM

season to the TV inventory would have that kind of impact for a Clemson, FSU, or Louisville, considering the stadium sizes and steady support. Most every other program in the league wouldn't miss a 7th home game - it might even save some programs money by not having to go to the expense of opening the gates and turning on the lights.

An ACC Network will need quality games involving OOC teams to expand its reach outside of the ACC footprint. 9 games will cut into that from the more attractive programs that would drive that interest.

Think about Clemson raising its fees and ticket prices as we've done to help continue fueling our success, and as a thank you for that we're cutting out a home game every other year.

Our biggest problem as a league now is that we have 14 annual total stinker games forced on by divisions - that's 25% of our current annual schedule that are non-geographical, largely non-competitive, and thus mostly uninteresting. So the answer is to preserve that and make it more difficult elsewhere? Hogwash.

If they are going to do this then at least switch to

Aug 12, 2016, 12:31 PM

geographic divisions to make the tv inventory a little more interesting and create better rivalries. No one cares about Syracuse vs Wake etc.

Us, GT, FSU and Louisville don't need 9 games

Aug 12, 2016, 12:42 PM

because of our in state rivalries. But schools like the NC schools, Virginia's etc do need to have 9 games.

So, let those schools play those games and keep us out

Aug 12, 2016, 1:14 PM

Of it. I believe UNC and Wake have scheduled an out of conference game against each other. Others should do the same if they have a hard time getting 2 power 5 games.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic