Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mask wearing does nothing to stop spread - new study
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Mask wearing does nothing to stop spread - new study

Nov 19, 2020, 9:00 PM

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/do-masks-stop-the-spread-of-covid-19-

Landmark Danish study shows face masks have no significant effect
19 November 2020

Do face masks work? Earlier this year, the UK government decided that masks could play a significant role in stopping Covid-19 and made masks mandatory in a number of public places. But are these policies backed by the scientific evidence?

Yesterday marked the publication of a long-delayed trial in Denmark which hopes to answer that very question. The ‘Danmask-19 trial’ was conducted in the spring with over 3,000 participants, when the public were not being told to wear masks but other public health measures were in place. Unlike other studies looking at masks, the Danmask study was a randomised controlled trial – making it the highest quality scientific evidence.

Around half of those in the trial received 50 disposable surgical face masks, which they were told to change after eight hours of use. After one month, the trial participants were tested using both PCR, antibody and lateral flow tests and compared with the trial participants who did not wear a mask.

In the end, there was no statistically significant difference between those who wore masks and those who did not when it came to being infected by Covid-19. 1.8 per cent of those wearing masks caught Covid, compared to 2.1 per cent of the control group. As a result, it seems that any effect masks have on preventing the spread of the disease in the community is small.

Some people, of course, did not wear their masks properly. Only 46 per cent of those wearing masks in the trial said they had completely adhered to the rules. But even if you only look at people who wore masks ‘exactly as instructed’, this did not make any difference to the results: 2 per cent of this group were also infected.

When it comes to masks, it appears there is still little good evidence they prevent the spread of airborne diseases. The results of the Danmask-19 trial mirror other reviews into influenza-like illnesses. Nine other trials looking at the efficacy of masks (two looking at healthcare workers and seven at community transmission) have found that masks make little or no difference to whether you get influenza or not.

But overall, there is a troubling lack of robust evidence on face masks and Covid-19. There have only been three community trials during the current pandemic comparing the use of masks with various alternatives – one in Guinea-Bissau, one in India and this latest trial in Denmark. The low number of studies into the effect different interventions have on the spread of Covid-19 – a subject of global importance – suggests there is a total lack of interest from governments in pursuing evidence-based medicine. And this starkly contrasts with the huge sums they have spent on ‘boutique relations’ consultants advising the government.

The only trials which have shown masks to be effective at stopping airborne diseases have been ‘observational studies’ – which observe the people who ordinarily use masks, rather than attempting to create a randomized control group. These trials include six studies carried out in the Far East during the SARS CoV-1 outbreak of 2003, which showed that masks can work, especially when they are used by healthcare workers and patients alongside hand-washing.

But observational studies are prone to recall bias: in the heat of a pandemic, not very many people will recall if and when they used masks and at what distance they kept from others. The lack of random allocation of masks can also ‘confound’ the results and might not account for seasonal effects. A recent observational study paper had to be withdrawn because the reported fall in infection rates over the summer was reverted when the seasonal effect took hold and rates went back up.

This is why large, randomized trials like this most recent Danish study are so important if we want to understand the impact of measures like face masks. Many people have argued that it is too difficult to wait for randomized trials – but Danmask-19 has shown that these kind of studies are more than feasible.

And now that we have properly rigorous scientific research we can rely on, the evidence shows that wearing masks in the community does not significantly reduce the rates of infection.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mask wearing does nothing to stop spread - new study

Nov 19, 2020, 9:05 PM

Whatever man, shut up already about masks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It doesn’t matter.

Nov 19, 2020, 9:05 PM

A conquered people just need to obey.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: It doesn’t matter.

Nov 20, 2020, 10:18 AM

What does one call a person who is "conquered" by empirical evidence and rational reality?

WISE

This study is based on the thinking that you wearing a mask keeps you from getting it.

Nov 19, 2020, 9:07 PM

And from the beginning it was made perfectly clear that wearing a mask will help keep infected people from spreading it. Only idiots keep thinking the opposite and using studies like this in an attempt to justify why they won’t wear a mask.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This study is based on the thinking that you wearing a mask keeps you from getting it.

Nov 19, 2020, 9:16 PM

"When it comes to masks, it appears there is still little good evidence they prevent the spread of airborne diseases."

This is why it is spreading. There are some very ignorant

Nov 20, 2020, 5:16 AM

people in this world that would actually believe this based on some idiot journalist with an agenda.

It is really rather simple. Covid is transported through droplets. The viral load in a droplet is proportional to the cube of the diameter. This means large droplets have a lot more viral load. This should make sense to even very dense people. Therefore, if I can catch the largest drops I lower the chance of spread.

Some people clearly don't think social distancing or washing hands helps either.

Read the actual study. It was not conclusive.

Limitation:

Inconclusive results, missing data, variable adherence, patient-reported findings on home tests, no blinding, and no assessment of whether masks could decrease disease transmission from mask wearers to others.
Conclusion:

The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use. The data were compatible with lesser degrees of self-protection.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is why it is spreading. There are some very ignorant

Nov 20, 2020, 10:21 AM

Neal,

Thanks for a little dose of reality. This is a great example of how careful, limited research often gets simplified or twisted by a variety of public media sources.

Next time you go in for a medical procedure, demand

Nov 20, 2020, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Re: This study is based on the thinking that you wearing a mask keeps you from getting it. ]

your doctor/nurse etc to remove their mask since it does nothing.

Let Social Darwinism play out

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: Next time you go in for a medical procedure, demand

Nov 20, 2020, 10:21 AM

Hey wifi, out of the gene pool !!

Re: This study is based on the thinking that you wearing a mask keeps you from getting it.

Nov 20, 2020, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Re: This study is based on the thinking that you wearing a mask keeps you from getting it. ]

wifi,

I suspect that the article that you quote extensively is a news article - not the original research article. Even the quote that you highlight above is contradictory (or cherry-picked)

Here is the whole paragraph from YOUR article:

When it comes to masks, it appears there is still little good evidence they prevent the spread of airborne diseases. The results of the Danmask-19 trial mirror other reviews into influenza-like illnesses. Nine other trials looking at the efficacy of masks (two looking at healthcare workers and seven at community transmission) have found that masks make little or no difference to whether you get influenza or not.

The first sentence speaks about the spread of diseases. The last sentence speak to whether the mask wearer gets the disease or not. THESE ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS.

Either you are not reading very carefully of the author is not writing very carefully. Either way it is misleading bullyshit.

DOOD. The filtration media in masks works BOTH WAYS.

Nov 20, 2020, 11:53 AM [ in reply to This study is based on the thinking that you wearing a mask keeps you from getting it. ]

So it s equally effective in both directions (which may very well not be enough).

Hello? Is there anybody in there? Just smile if you can hear me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Tell me where I said it didn’t help the other way around.

Nov 20, 2020, 8:19 PM

Of course it helps the other way, but that’s not the reason to wear it. If you think if helps only you keep from getting it, you’ll see the effectiveness is not that great and in turn you’ll have people say “screw it” and not wear one. This is why it’s more important to realize that a mask is for keeping an infected person from spreading it.

I think you did say that...

Nov 21, 2020, 11:00 AM

"And from the beginning it was made perfectly clear that wearing a mask will help keep infected people from spreading it. Only idiots keep thinking the opposite..."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson's just too strong. They're still banged up, sure,

Nov 19, 2020, 9:08 PM

but now they're angry, too. A little fire will spark a big win. Tigers over Noles 48-10.

Re: Clemson's just too strong. They're still banged up, sure,

Nov 19, 2020, 9:09 PM

I think we get into the 60's at least!

Go Tigers!

Re: Clemson's just too strong. They're still banged up, sure,

Nov 19, 2020, 9:10 PM [ in reply to Clemson's just too strong. They're still banged up, sure, ]

I disagree. Napier will lead the clawks to multiple championships.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No runs, no passes, no touchdowns, no football post***

Nov 19, 2020, 9:10 PM

seatbelts don't work either

Nov 19, 2020, 9:20 PM

but THEY don't want you to know that.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: seatbelts don't work either

Nov 19, 2020, 9:23 PM

Nov 19, 2020, 9:26 PM

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/526756-former-cdc-director-criticizes-new-study-that-raises-doubt-about-wearing-masks

Nov 19, 2020, 9:38 PM

You should have listened to Dr. Fauci today. He doesn't agree.

your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries

Nov 19, 2020, 9:41 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Nov 19, 2020, 10:09 PM

25 years in health care. Wearing a mask was sometimes hospital policy and sometimes just seemed like a good idea. My experience has been that I never felt like this was anything but a common sense way to protect myself and others. Just like hand washing. I never felt compromised or that my rights as a citizen were being impinged.

My worry is that many people are afraid that govt. asking you to take precautions such as wearing masks, social distancing etc. is one step and that the next step is for them to come in your home and take your guns. Apples and oranges, people! Be safe in all ways, please!

Go tigers!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2020, 10:37 PM

Given that the main context for masks is to prevent spreading the disease to others, this study proves absolutely nothing.
Study limitation: “no assessment of whether masks could decrease disease transmission from mask wearers to others.

It’s really not that big of a deal to wear my Clemson mask to go to the grocery store. Especially around Ohio State people

Nov 19, 2020, 11:28 PM

Did it state what kind of masks were studied. N95 mask-respirators will stop the virus from entering you nose or mouth but does nothing for your eyes or ears. You could add goggles and head phones.

My God, it is so simple. The objective is to reduce the

Nov 20, 2020, 5:22 AM

spread, not reduce it to zero. This is why there is such a problem right now in this country. How can you possibly think that if you have the flu or Covid and you sneeze with a mask on or without a mask on that there is no difference in the amount of viral load transported to surfaces and/or other people.

Use just a little bit of common sense please.

I still do not understand where you all see

Nov 20, 2020, 8:27 AM

people not wearing masks. After I wrote this the other day, I was out and about and looking. Everyone is wearing a mask and every place I have been, except for Emerald Isle, NC.....everyone is wearing masks. At that time when I was there they had only had like 300 cases, so everyone was lackadaisical about the whole thing. I am sure that has changed now.

The idea that millions aren't wearing a mask is, I think, a farce.

Would you like me to take pictures?

Nov 20, 2020, 8:37 AM

The two gas stations I'll stop at tonight (western NC and nearish Knoxville), most won't be wearing a mask. Anywhere out in rural areas it is very much people not wearing masks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: I still do not understand where you all see

Nov 20, 2020, 8:46 AM [ in reply to I still do not understand where you all see ]

I have been in gas stations, mini markets, and bars, where nobody has a mask on. The bars people have them on to just walk in the door and then they sit at the bar stools like normal laughing etc etc with no mask. It is still a lot of people gathering without masks.

One of the hotspots in SC is rural Lancaster county...

Nov 20, 2020, 10:23 AM [ in reply to I still do not understand where you all see ]

about three months ago I had to drive through there to go meet a client. Not one mask was seen and I went straight through downtown at lunch time.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I still do not understand where you all see

Nov 20, 2020, 10:27 AM [ in reply to I still do not understand where you all see ]

Manac,

I think we have gotten better over time. There are definitely more people wearing masks.

But, as an example, I was in the QT the other day and the cashiers did not have on masks (nor was there plexi-glass protectors. When i asked the cashier about it she said they were not in the city limits so there was no requirement to wear masks.

Imagine how many QTs there are and how many people those cashiers interact with per day.

Re: My God, it is so simple. The objective is to reduce the

Nov 20, 2020, 10:43 AM [ in reply to My God, it is so simple. The objective is to reduce the ]

I am not sure how much a cloth mask helps if any. I wear a N95 mask but don't wear goggle or ear phones. The DG stores I have went into the employees were not wearing masks. I think we will all get the Wuhan flu unless there is a working vaccine. Just a thought.

Maybe you could start with a easy science book

Nov 20, 2020, 11:10 AM

and work your way up. I'm sure trying to explain to you that wearing a mask lowers the viral load spread of an asymptotic person that coughs, sneezes etc. isn't going to work well, but If you sneeze into a mask less droplets will make it to other people. I'm not sure why that is so hard to understand.

Will a mask also help the mask wearer? Of course it will. Whatever viral droplets that were going to go into you mouth or nose will not make it. Some might, but the large droplets will get caught. Some might still get in your eyes, but your viral load will be less. A low viral load means that your body won't have to fight as long or hard to build immunity and you have a much greater chance of not getting really sick.

Viral loads on droplets are proportional to the cube of the diameter of the droplet. Stopping the big droplets is more important than stopping the small droplets.

Re: Maybe you could start with a easy science book

Nov 20, 2020, 11:46 AM

Ya, ya keep wearing that cloth mask then talk about people not wearing them. I understand the N95 masks are not pleasant to wear. In the beginning they said not to wear masks. I knew that was a lie. Now just any kind of face covering. I wonder when they will retract that one too.

I take my mask off to sneeze

Nov 20, 2020, 12:34 PM [ in reply to My God, it is so simple. The objective is to reduce the ]

Otherwise its gross

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2020, 12:21 AM

SMH. Mask protect OTHERS and NOT the person wearing the mask. Not sure why a small percentage of the population cannot grasp this concept.

I'm not so sure how small that number is

Nov 20, 2020, 5:30 AM

Yesterday I went into a coffee store. 3 employees no masks. I'm wearing mine and social distancing. While I am there 2 more sets of people walk in. 9 people and only me in a mask.

I work in construction. No construction workers wear masks or social distance.

I meet a lot of people in my work. People want to shake my hand all the time (I meet with clients and/or visit job sites 8-10 times per week) And when I don't shake their hand the want to fist bump or elbow bump. I'm not shaking your hand, getting in your grill, bumping elbows, fists, or peters.

I still have most of my employees working from home and masks are still required in my office.

Re: I'm not so sure how small that number is

Nov 20, 2020, 6:31 AM

peter bumps, you say? Jeez, now it’s not just mask wearing I have to worry about, I’m going to be shamed because I may or may not want to bump peters?!

I just can’t win.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: I'm not so sure how small that number is

Nov 20, 2020, 10:29 AM

Yeah Bill, you have to wear a mask - and pants.

This is why I don’t cover my mouth/nose when sneezing either

Nov 20, 2020, 12:52 AM

No covering mouth. No sneezing into elbow. It’s just not effective at stopping my snot and germs from flying all over others. If folks don’t want mucus on them, then they can stay gone or take their own precautions. I’m sick of general health advisers telling me what to do with my freedoms.

Only sheeple think otherwise.

Walk in a hospital and ask them why they're wearing masks***

Nov 20, 2020, 8:26 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But they sure kill a lot of sea turtles***

Nov 20, 2020, 8:43 AM

There is no reasonable way that at this point you don't ....

Nov 20, 2020, 9:18 AM

know that mask mask wearing is called for to keep infected people from infecting others...the whole "I wear a mask to protect others" idea.

There is no way.

So how do you explain posting a study that claims to show masks don't keep the mask wearer from getting infected as some evidence against mask wearing?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is no reasonable way that at this point you don't ....

Nov 20, 2020, 10:30 AM

What % of Americans would you say are willfully ignorant about this - and many other things.

a lot %***

Nov 20, 2020, 10:36 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well the CDC needs your help too. Please use your genius.***

Nov 21, 2020, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: There is no reasonable way that at this point you don't .... ]

You people need to get your story straight....

Nov 21, 2020, 11:08 AM [ in reply to There is no reasonable way that at this point you don't .... ]

"Wear Masks To Protect Yourself From The Coronavirus, Not Only Others, CDC Stresses"

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/11/11/933903848/wear-masks-to-protect-yourself-from-the-coronavirus-not-only-others-cdc-stresses

Any reasonable person, who isn't badly brainwashed by groupthink, should be able to easily see the MASSIVE narrative shifting going on at the government and corporate media level.

Nov 20, 2020, 10:09 AM

WiFi,

How many MF times does it have to be explained that wearing masks helps prevent the spread of the virus by protecting other people - not necessarily the mask wearer.

The study addresses whether mask wearers caught the virus, NOT whether the masks were effective in slowing the spread of the disease - to others.

Surgical type masks are designed to keep the person wearing

Nov 20, 2020, 11:41 AM

it from infecting others. That is why surgeons wear them. They are not so hot protecting the person wearing them, but are better than nothing. They can dilute the amount of virus inhaled which seems to greatly lessen the severity of the infection.

If you are unconvinced, next time you or a loved one needs surgery, be sure to tell the OR crew to not wear masks as it may hinder their ability to perform the surgery, and they don't work anyway.

Re: Surgical type masks are designed to keep the person wearing

Nov 20, 2020, 11:46 PM

The doctors and all staff are wear N95 masks now.

Surgical masks are designed to prevent droplets from

Nov 21, 2020, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Surgical type masks are designed to keep the person wearing ]

entering a body cavity. They are not designed to stop aerosol transmission of anything. To or fro.

This can be very easily confirmed if you do a basic amount of research outside of corporate media articles. You can go to a manufacturers website. You can look at raw medical studies. You need to become familiar with PRIMARY SOURCES. You just have to break the spell of centralized media/political narrative.

https://www.cochrane.org/CD002929/WOUNDS_disposable-surgical-face-masks-preventing-surgical-wound-infection-clean-surgery#:~:text=Surgeons%20and%20nurses%20performing%20clean,and%20splashes%20from%20the%20patient.

"Surgeons and nurses performing clean surgery wear disposable face masks. The purpose of face masks is thought to be two-fold: to prevent the passage of germs from the surgeon's nose and mouth into the patient's wound and to protect the surgeon's face from sprays and splashes from the patient. Face masks are thought to make wound infections after surgery less likely. However, incorrectly worn masks may increase the likelihood of the wound getting contaminated with germs. We wanted to discover whether wearing a face mask during surgery makes infections of the wound more likely after the operation."

Source check?

Nov 20, 2020, 4:00 PM

spooneye®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Masks are a distraction.

Nov 21, 2020, 11:05 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CglBhn0znM&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=ThomasHoffman

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic