Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Black Balsam Knob Milky Way pic
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Black Balsam Knob Milky Way pic

Jul 14, 2020, 9:35 AM
MW 7-13-20.jpg(165.1 K)

Sunday morning I met some photog/camping buddies up at Balsam. Around 1am the clouds sorta moved out for us and we were able to shoot some Milky Way pics.

Im going to a night photog workshop up there in two weeks to work with some pros on Milky Way and sunrise pics around the parkway.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Manhood Camping Firequest?

Jul 14, 2020, 9:37 AM

Lookin' for a 100% for real bros to share/experience manhood in all its glory. This is for real, I don't want to waste my time or yours. 100% JO and manhood, no sugar added. I AM NOT GAY. Don't even think this is a sex thing, it's all about manhood.

Looking for bros to head into the woods and bond by fire, experience life as men once lived it, JO circle, and fire/vision quests.

THIS IS NOT A SEX THING.

Gonna need some basic things/skills, I don't want to be slowed down by fools:

- must be in reasonable shape, if you get winded walking then stay home
- Ed Hardy camping gear, it's really good gear and it's awesome
- desire to be a man among men
- not afraid to wield a blade
- crystal, I'm not sharing mine
- must be able to make a fire
- gloves
- a knowledge of native vegetation (knowledge of psychotropic fungus a plus)
- knowledge of modern music
- protective/splash resistant eye wear
- 5 - 10 of those clip things that rock climbers use

We are gonna need a mobile music device, ipod or something. I'm bringing the music for the firequests and visionquests, Nickleback's The Long Road. I only have it on CD, so I'll have my discman as a last resort, an ipod would be nicer. Just sayin'.

Dont' want to see"

- bad attitudes
- gay/homoerotic behavior, this is a manhood thing. I AM NOT GAY.
- #### rings, can't keep it up w/o help, you aren't gonna make it on this quest
- firearms, there's gonna be enough guns going off and spent shells to pick up
- the nerds/dorks/lames/and anyone less than 100% into manhood.

If you are serious, then I promise you this will be the trip of your life. It will change the way you think. I'm serious, and I AM NOT GAY. To see a group of bros being men, a JO circle by a camp fire. The charge/energy in the air. Crystals get jacked, no lie. You will slip into a different frame of mind, you will feel electric.

Last outing, we had a group that was so charged we attracted bears. It was no deal, nature knew man was in the forest, the crystals gave us the confidence to own those bears. I saw it, I was there.

100% SERIOUS, NO FAKERS

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Manhood Camping Firequest?

Jul 14, 2020, 9:50 AM

That one was funny. That one was on here before. What was the origin of that again?

Craigslist***

Jul 14, 2020, 9:59 AM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great pic

Jul 14, 2020, 9:37 AM

not sure you need much learning. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you

Jul 14, 2020, 9:39 AM

The photog putting on the workshop is bringing in models and doing some light painting with the MW as the backdrop.

noice pig....and I love that knob. LOVE. THAT. KNOB.

Jul 14, 2020, 9:41 AM

also, I think only photogs say 'photogs'

f'n photogs

I've dropped a ton of money on the camera equipment

Jul 14, 2020, 10:06 AM

and now I'm dropping cash left and right on hiking gear. This photog business is expensive asf. I still need a new backpack b/c Im using an Amazon $50 one and I need a sleeping pad. Not much sleep is had shooting milky pics so Id like to be more comfy when I do get to lay down for a couple hrs.

Re: Black Balsam Knob Milky Way pic

Jul 14, 2020, 9:44 AM

That is a great photo. Why does the horizon look like it is sunset/sunrise if it is midnight?

I'm assuming it's light pollution due to the

Jul 14, 2020, 9:48 AM

very long exposure shot required to get the MW?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

boom

Jul 14, 2020, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Black Balsam Knob Milky Way pic ]

busted

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

What krzy said

Jul 14, 2020, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Black Balsam Knob Milky Way pic ]

A 10 sec exposure will gather a ton of light. Balsam isn't far enough away from Hendersonville, Arden, and Asheville to get away from night pollution. If the clouds hadn't been there, the LP would be a lot less but the clouds just reflect the light.

hmmmm

Jul 14, 2020, 10:07 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you going to go out west to some certified

Jul 14, 2020, 10:12 AM [ in reply to What krzy said ]

dark sky locations?

Honestly, the light pollution in that shot looks good, but definitely not a pure MW photo.

My uncle is out west right now doing that - plus hitting all the national parks. I'll see if I can grab some of his photos and share with you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Right now we're trying to decide if we want to go to Montana

Jul 14, 2020, 10:15 AM

or Arizona in May next year. If we go to Montana we'll fly into Bozeman and staying Livingston or Prey for 3 nights then head to Missoula for the rest of the trip, and fly home from there.

If we do AZ we'll fly in and out of Flagstaff and go up to Page for a few nights.

I was on Grassy Ridge three weeks ago but cloud cover sat on us all night.

Re: Right now we're trying to decide if we want to go to Montana

Jul 14, 2020, 11:44 AM

Honestly, knowing that it is light pollution makes it a more interesting photo to me. I've heard of light pollution but never seen it documented like that.

It adds perspective

Jul 14, 2020, 11:49 AM

There are other things to shoot on the ground or horizon that will do that and be less intrusive with light pollution. I plan on learning how to do that in a couple of weeks.

Don't get me wrong I love the pic and Im happy I finally got to shoot the MW with some quality equipment and get great results. Now I want to do better than this.

photog/camping buddies?

Jul 14, 2020, 9:46 AM

Sounds totally hetero.

We totally hetero'ed it all the way up man. More hetero than

Jul 14, 2020, 10:17 AM

evAr

That’s impressive man.

Jul 14, 2020, 9:47 AM

You’ve come a long way from early waterfall phaggotry. Gettin Ansel Adams level.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And whatchoo shooting with these days?***

Jul 14, 2020, 9:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I picked up a Sony 42MP full frame.

Jul 14, 2020, 10:03 AM

Sony's high end lenses are ridiculously awesome but they come with a ridiculous price tag.

This is shot with a Sony A7rii camera with the Sony 24mm 1.4 lens. I bought this lens last yr solely for shooting MW pics.

Thanks for the props

Re: I picked up a Sony 42MP full frame.

Jul 14, 2020, 10:10 AM

I love that photo the way it is!
Just awesome. May be interested in buying it for my web page.

My tmail is ready***

Jul 14, 2020, 10:12 AM

Pee Ess

Jul 14, 2020, 9:54 AM [ in reply to That’s impressive man. ]

This was a totally non-dickish compliment, intended in a spirit of goodwill and encouragement. Just wanted to save anyone from putting on armor and mounting up.

Jul 14, 2020, 9:49 AM

That's a great pic. Where is Basalm?

This is going south on the parkway from interstate 26

Jul 14, 2020, 10:00 AM

Its a few miles past the Pisgah Inn. Its a super easy day trip/hike as the trail is only .8 miles to the top of the knob.

thanks

how were the temps at night?

Jul 14, 2020, 10:06 AM

i generally hate hot weather camping, but LilGUAR#2 keeps buggin me and isn't interested in waiting for cooler weathers

Freezing man

Jul 14, 2020, 10:08 AM

It got down in the low 60s and with the wind is was pretty f'in cold. I was all up in my sleeping bag from 2 to 5

I got up to take pics of the comet but I think I got up too late and missed it.

yep very cool spot

Jul 14, 2020, 10:07 AM [ in reply to This is going south on the parkway from interstate 26 ]

jelly

was the Mt Pisgah campground open?***

Jul 14, 2020, 10:08 AM

Not sure. I would think it would be, the Inn is open***

Jul 14, 2020, 10:10 AM

Amazing pic!

Jul 14, 2020, 10:56 AM

Sorry you missed the comet. I've tried to catch it a few times and missed it or it was cloudy.

Do you know about PARI? A lot closer than Montana and you can stay in a cabin when you are not taking pictures.

https://www.pari.edu/pari-edu-darksky/

TOTE1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Re: Amazing pic!

Jul 14, 2020, 11:38 AM

Thanks!

Where is PARI? The link shows the graph of darkness and talks about their campus but doesn't give any other details?

It’s near Brevard

Jul 14, 2020, 11:56 AM

We’ve been to a couple of their programs and the museum is very cool.

It’s definitely a call before you go kind of place run by volunteers etc.

https://www.pari.edu/directions/

TOTE1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Thanks man I'll check it out***

Jul 14, 2020, 12:17 PM

Jul 14, 2020, 11:36 AM

I used to guide 35 mile hikes with Llamas...all over that mountain. The llamas carried our tents, cooking equipment and such. We would go out for four nights and make our way back. Best summer job of all time. Did it my 10th and 11th grade year.

I wasnt a boy scout, but worked for Camp Daniel Boone and lead the treks form there each Monday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic