Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 91
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur

Jun 2, 2020, 9:39 PM

Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur

Clemson assistant coach Danny Pearman released a statement Tuesday evening regarding his use of a racial slur during a practice in 2016. Former Clemson walk-on Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur

Jun 2, 2020, 9:43 PM

Well... he’s gone

Jun 2, 2020, 9:48 PM

Tempest in a teapot, a lot more significant to folks far away than the men involved. Pearman did not call anyone any name. He called attention to the inapporpriate use of the n-word, then apologized almost immediately. The player who he was correcting has acknowledged the insignificance of Pearmans error and moved on. Pearman apologized to everyone his room.

Now Pearman has repeated his apology, explained in clear and unambiguous terms what happened and acknowledged his boss knew of the mistake the coach made. Everyone involved has moved on.

Muckrakers are going to rake mud. This one is a bit embarrassing and nothing more.

A team, program, players and coaches of the number 1 team in the country get a lot of attention, mostly good, some bad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2020, 10:32 AM

People born to interracial marriages probably have the best skin, biologically. Better living through the best biochemistry. My degree: Clemson University, Chemistry, class of "71. Go Tigers, see you in death valley for the Louisville game.

https://www.earthlife.net/mammals/colour.html

Jun 2, 2020, 9:50 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

Please help me understand something. Pearman made a “grave mistake?” Hie repeated the word trying to make the team understand the word should not be used? He did not call anyone that word? So, his grave mistake was he simply said the word out loud?? That’s his crime? Really??

Jun 2, 2020, 9:55 PM

I’m sorry if you can’t understand that regardless of context saying the word in this day results in loss of job. Our opinions our irrelevant. Didn’t even state mine and getting thumbs down simply for saying he’s gone. Shows how insecure some of you are about what’s going on lol.

Jun 2, 2020, 9:56 PM

Are*

Jun 2, 2020, 10:08 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

Now ESPN alerts about it on my phone. To clarify I wasn’t saying anyone deserves to be fired. Simply stating in this day he won’t be able to survive the backlash and it would go straight to Dabo. Shoutout to the 6+ thumbs downs

Actually, it may get you a job. It just all depends on who

Jun 2, 2020, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

is allowed to say it. Go watch "Uncut Gems" on Netflix. Apparently some people get paid lots of money to say it over an over.

Jun 2, 2020, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

Unless you are black

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2020, 10:38 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

Thank you so much for your understanding

Message was edited by: Tigershaq®

Jun 3, 2020, 12:09 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

I think he was just saying what you said was stupid. Pretty simple.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2020, 7:15 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

He is not going to be fired. You are just wrong.

Are you out of your mind? “Gone”? Why, exactly?

Jun 3, 2020, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

For a three-year-old non-issue?

If Pearman is ever fired, it will NOT be because of this bull sh_t.

He might be fired for incompetence in coaching, but not because of this.

Re: Are you out of your mind? “Gone”? Why, exactly?

Jun 3, 2020, 2:52 PM

A simple google search will show you the recent coaches who have been eliminated or resigned from their job for old use of racial slurs. UW strength and conditioning, FC Cincinnati, Flames coach in particular. Not sure why everyone is crying over me saying that

He didn’t use a racial slur. Unless you believe repeating

Jun 3, 2020, 6:02 PM

what Greenlee had just said and telling him it was wrong was a racial slur.

Jun 4, 2020, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

what if I say the C word (cracker) or the H-word (honkie) or the A-word ( a-hole) loss of job my a word!

Jun 4, 2020, 5:49 PM

Solid, logical comparison. Good job

Jun 6, 2020, 7:15 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

I would simply laugh at you. Not demand you get fired.

Jun 3, 2020, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

That sums it up in a "nutshell".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2020, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

Exactly!

Jun 3, 2020, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

Anyone thinking this is not serious, or raking muck, has been hiding in a cave for two weeks. Whether he will be or deserves to be fired I have no idea, but when we have the Minneapolis killing, the national protest marches, ridiculous threats of using combat soldiers against Americans, then this has been elevated to a much higher level than it might have been. Add to that most of the football team is African American, thus most of the recruits are African American, and you can appreciate the potential problems here. Add to that this coming on the heels of the university president's written commitment to inclusion, and ... In short, don't blow it off. Because it could blow up.

Jun 3, 2020, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

Not nearly enough.

The only thing that will satisfy the PC crowd is if the NCAA gives Clemson the death penalty.

And, that still wouldn't be enough to satisfy some of them.

Jun 2, 2020, 9:44 PM

No excuse, shouldn’t have said it at all. Knowing the history of the word it should not have been said/or repeated

Jun 2, 2020, 10:41 PM

????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Jun 3, 2020, 6:27 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

If it is such a terrible and nasty word, it shouldnt be used by anyone at any time. Its pretty pathetic that a coach is trying to correct this behavior and he is the one being destroyed. If the word is sooooo bad, then no one should be saying it. Its the hypocrisy of someone black saying it and its ok. If someone white says it, take their job, their family and their balls.

I Agree

Jun 3, 2020, 9:34 AM

But that is not the world we live in!

Then ... the world needs to be changed!! Isn't that

Jun 3, 2020, 3:01 PM

what everyone is screaming now?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jun 2, 2020, 9:45 PM

Any word on if the player who used the n-word has had their diploma revoked or received any kind of training on proper field etiquette?

Seems to have been handled. Move on.***

Jun 2, 2020, 9:53 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah right, you'd think so but doubtful***

Jun 2, 2020, 11:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is getting absolutely bat schitt crazy.***

Hope Tuttle is happy now! Coach made a mistake and apologized but Tuttle

had to lie about the whole thing. What a POS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hope Tuttle is happy now! Coach made a mistake and apologized but Tuttle

Jun 2, 2020, 10:04 PM

Grown men emotionally damaged because a coach said the word out loud while telling players not to call each other that. This is insanity.

Re: Hope Tuttle is happy now! Coach made a mistake and apologized but Tuttle

Jun 2, 2020, 11:48 PM [ in reply to Hope Tuttle is happy now! Coach made a mistake and apologized but Tuttle ]

Yep, and that is where our anger should be directed. He is trying to stir the pot in hoping to cause a bad smell, and that is how small minds think and react when they were a failure on that same field. Seems like folks could see that he has an axe to grind!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love Perry Tuttle! But this is despicable by his son.

Jun 3, 2020, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Hope Tuttle is happy now! Coach made a mistake and apologized but Tuttle ]

The Perry Tuttle I have met, played softball with, and attended church with would not approve of this.

I hate “Twitter” ... very little to recommend it. Just a way for people to stir the pot.

Jun 2, 2020, 10:07 PM

Why is it that blacks can call each other ###### in public, say it repeatedly in rap music and standup comedy, but let a white person say it and all he’ll breaks lose?

Same reason you can punch your brother in the face but no one else better???

Jun 2, 2020, 10:11 PM

Don’t really know, not the shoes I’ve walked in.

Jun 2, 2020, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

The fact that you actually asked that is speaking volumes to who you are

Jun 2, 2020, 10:23 PM

My question states nothing about who I am.

Jun 2, 2020, 10:26 PM

Why do you want to say it so bad and if you don’t why do you care? Double standards are all throughout life. Everybody knows the rule. Just don’t do it

Jun 3, 2020, 8:11 AM

Reading comprehension is your friend. Where, in my question, did I say I wanted to say it?

Jun 2, 2020, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

Why do you want to say it so bad and if you don’t why do you care? Double standards are all throughout life. Everybody knows the rule. Just don’t do it

Jun 2, 2020, 11:53 PM

"Double standards" are exactly what people are rioting about in the streets these nights.... um.... oh, yeah - It's okay for me, but NOT okay for you? We need to wake up - we're living on an animal farm in 1984.

Go Tigers and Coach Dabo!!!

Jun 3, 2020, 6:19 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

It takes a special level of ignorance to claim that because someone is pointing out hypocrisy and double standards that they want to engage in said behavior.

Actually he brings up a good point.

If the word is so bad - which I don’t doubt it is - then why should some people be using it so freely?
If it’s wrong, it’s wrong.

Jun 2, 2020, 10:29 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

Deflection is not an answer.

Jun 2, 2020, 10:33 PM

Thank you! How can you justify people saying the word AT ALL especially if you aren’t African American. If you know it’s a word that should be said than why say it? Others should not justify the action by “why can’t we say it” are you kidding me?

Jun 2, 2020, 10:37 PM

The point was not " why can't we say it" it was NO ONE should say it ....period.

Jun 2, 2020, 11:55 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

You don't have to be standing in front of a mirror pointing your finger to see fingers pointing back at you!!!

Jun 3, 2020, 7:04 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson assistant coach issues statement regarding use of racial slur ]

Really?!? Please think before you post. Why do you think that it would NEVER be ok for a white person to use the word?

Jun 3, 2020, 11:43 AM

It's not OK for any white person to use the N-word. And it is bc white people long before us that made the word a terrible slur against the Black/African American population. Slavery is long gone, and the N-word should be long gone also bc it has no place in today's society, and nothing good ever comes from the use of the word. The N- word slur, and the Honky slur, both words should be removed from every American published dictionary!!!

Jun 3, 2020, 11:07 PM

Just out of curiosity, since I am Native American, do I have p.c. permission to use the word? My ancesoirs were called that because off the reservation, many mistook them for Africans.
Not that I want to say it or need permission, but just asking.....

Jun 5, 2020, 10:17 AM

"Not that I want to say it or need permission..."

Good thing you clarified that for us. ??

Jun 2, 2020, 10:09 PM

If it was Important at the time it happened Im sure things would of been handled at that point. Several years later it makes a guest appearance. Dabo would of handled the issue at the point of impact it it went down as a slur. Ain’t buying the cheese player has been aging in the closet.

Jun 6, 2020, 10:45 PM

"-would OF handled"...? Really?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2020, 10:12 PM

The haters out there will take this and make a mountain out of a molehill.

Jun 2, 2020, 10:27 PM

They will “try.” But there were a lot of “influential “ minorities on the team at the time, that knew what was going on. They will come to bat (one way or the other) for the coaching staff that they have high regards for.

Greenlee

Jun 2, 2020, 10:27 PM

Did you apologize to your teammate?

Greenlee has no need to apologize

Jun 3, 2020, 8:14 AM

he was not using the word in a derogatory way to his friend/teammate.

When a white person calls a black person the n-word it comes from hate or oppression, and if it is not from hate or oppression it most certainly can still be perceived to be.

Re: Greenlee has no need to apologize

Jun 3, 2020, 8:27 AM

Coach Pearman didn't use the word in a derogatory passion either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The N-word debate is even a hot issue in the black community, so..

Jun 2, 2020, 10:36 PM

We are not going to solve it here on TigerNet. Any discussion about something so culturally complicated and proprietary is only going to result in “missing it” and saying inappropriate things. As a black man I don’t think this rises to being fired IMHO. There are AA brothers and sisters that would disagree with me with valid arguments. Please my tiger friends and fellow alumni receive as information, be sorry that this happened but stay away from explaining it away or justifying or condemning. I hate that this occured for our players and coach pearman. They are both victims of the racism behind and inherent to this word and it’s inter-racial use that confuses many outside of the culture looking in. Stay humble on this one- trust me!!!

Re: The N-word debate is even a hot issue in the black community, so..

Jun 2, 2020, 10:44 PM

Perfect!

Jun 2, 2020, 10:54 PM [ in reply to The N-word debate is even a hot issue in the black community, so.. ]

?????????

Jun 3, 2020, 12:09 AM [ in reply to The N-word debate is even a hot issue in the black community, so.. ]

Thank you for your clarity and understanding - may we all hear and listen at the same time!

Jun 3, 2020, 12:11 AM

(in response to HBROWN...)

Jun 3, 2020, 8:00 AM [ in reply to The N-word debate is even a hot issue in the black community, so.. ]

Well said. Thanks for your input!

Jun 3, 2020, 10:53 AM [ in reply to The N-word debate is even a hot issue in the black community, so.. ]

Thank you, HBROWN®, wise, wise, wise.

Jun 2, 2020, 10:49 PM

The coach knows he screwed up and Dabo handled it. Also, this happened almost four years ago. It was gutless of this former player to go on Twitter to bring up something to give himself a name. Sadly, this walk-on is the son of one of Clemson’s greats.

In Dabo’s interview yesterday, he said he doesn’t use social media. Maybe we could learn something.

I've never used any social media and it feels great. Nor

Jun 2, 2020, 11:04 PM

have i ever owned a smartphone,uh i mean a tracking device, and it feels great!

Re: I've never used any social media and it feels great. Nor

Jun 3, 2020, 10:36 AM

^^^^post on a social media platform that he has never used social media^^^^

POTD.....gotta be

Brittle ears, this country is all brittle ears

Jun 2, 2020, 10:59 PM

As Dave chapelle said in explaining his absence from comedy . This country is soft and fragile. Grow the hell up and get over yourself . It’s obvious he trolled this crap up for attention and that invalidates any point he might have otherwise have had. Tuttle, move on son and stop blaming others for your own miserable life

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2020, 11:01 PM

If I want to offend someone, I call them a Gamecock fan.

Jun 3, 2020, 12:06 PM

If you ever call a gamecock fan a coot they look at you like you did just call them a racist name. Happened to me at work a few years ago, he did not like being called a coot

Re walk a mile in my shoes

Jun 2, 2020, 11:10 PM

This is a double standard, too.

Re: Re walk a mile in my shoes

Jun 2, 2020, 11:16 PM

Are they $200 Air Jordans?
Cause no one cool wants to wear New Balance.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jun 2, 2020, 11:49 PM

I have five pairs of NB 990s that I rotate daily. Bought them over last six years. They fit perfectly on my wide feet, are extremely stable and are made in the USA. My grandchildren think I’m cool and that’s all that matters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2020, 11:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Re walk a mile in my shoes ]

K-Swiss is the shoe for me!!!

Jun 3, 2020, 12:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Re walk a mile in my shoes ]

Like my NB.

Jun 3, 2020, 3:43 AM

No, you have to walk a mile in someone else’s shoes.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I started wearing NB

Jun 3, 2020, 6:38 AM

when I was like 40, I was ahead of the old white dude new balance curve. 4E shoes are hard to find but NB has a lot of them. The older I get the fatter my Fred Flintstone feet get.

Jun 3, 2020, 4:26 AM

So sad to see people attempt to stir up trouble from a settled and apparently appropriately addressed matter 3 years in the past. Such efforts detract from a tragic,uncalled for criminal act by a person who's past disciplinary record shows they should not have held the position of authority and responsibility entrusted to them. The accused will now rightly face justice via due process of law the opportunity of which was denied the victim in this indefensible action.

4 years ago, but whose counting***

Jun 3, 2020, 6:39 AM

Re: 4 years ago, but whose counting***

Jun 3, 2020, 6:48 AM

Yes, 4 years ago nothing happened. A coach instructed players not to use the “n word” but instead of saying the “n word” he said the word out loud. Not to a player as a racial slur, but simply mouthed the word. And here we are!! There are some emotionally weak people in this world.

Jun 3, 2020, 8:28 AM

I think it's up to the black team leaders at the time to identify and speak on their perceived intent of what Pearman said. I wasn't there. I can say that there needs to be standards set, and both the players and coaches need to be held to that standard. To me (notably uninformed of the perception of the players and people that have the basis for an informed opinion), I would doubt Pearman is racist, simply because he's still a coach on the team, and I don't believe that would be tolerated. If current black players are uncomfortable with Pearman as a coach, I'm uncomfortable with Pearman as a coach.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2020, 2:49 PM

Your rubber panties are ready. Pick them up at checkout.

Jun 3, 2020, 7:09 AM

I think Pearman made a mistake, I don’t think that he should have been or should be fired, I think that Tuttle is immature and wrong for bringing this up now, and I think that Dabo handled this correctly. I’m a black man and a Clemson fan, but I’d say this about anyone or any team. Dabo didn’t sweep this under the rug, he handled it the way a family should...in house. Tuttle on the other hand didn’t. Greenlee obviously has no issue with it or is mature enough to realize Pearman’s intent.

Jun 3, 2020, 7:21 AM

None of this is really any of our business. People need to stay in their own lanes and quit worrying about what they "think" everybody else should be doing.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2020, 12:18 PM

Tuttle is taking this completely out of context and doesn't matter who he hurts for his twitter likes.

As a liberal leaning person, this kind of $hit really pisses me off. Should Pearman not have repeated the word? Sure. Was he calling a player the N word as implied in the Tweet? HeII no!

Save it for when it matters, Tuttle, and shame on you.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People give the stupid word way

Jun 3, 2020, 12:29 PM

Too much power in my opinion.
Preacher once trying to make a point in church about how thousands of people die every year from starvation and he said, “ and none of you even give a $@&t” in church. The whole congregation audibly gasped. He then said,
“Think about how little the statement meant until I used that word to describe how you view it.” Stuck with me a long time.

Point being the word isn’t what’s important in all of this... If you think so, you may not get it.

Jun 3, 2020, 7:28 PM

Thoughts and prayers

Jun 4, 2020, 2:44 AM

We all live and learn-- that was three (3) years ago.

Replies: 91
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic