Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Looking for recommendations please
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Looking for recommendations please

Apr 24, 2020, 7:42 PM

Good evening Tiger Nation,

I will be retiring from the military in 2 years. I'm originally from Greenville SC. I'm starting to plan for life after the military. My wife and I have spent most of my career in the midwest, we're tired of the snow and cold weather. What town would you guys recommend on relocating? Bluffton, Beafort, Hilton Head.or Mt Pleasant? We want to be close to the ocean obviously. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looking for recommendations please

Apr 24, 2020, 7:53 PM

I would recommend Litchfield Beach over those you listed . The traffic of those you listed is horrendous year round.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2020, 9:03 PM

Lots of good choices. My folks had a house on IOP for 25 years. Loved it then, love it now. Pretty expensive. Hell going to town on Saturday or Sunday evenings 25 weeks a year.

I love Beaufort. It's a military town. Great marshes. Not too big, but very scenic. Tons of beach front not far from home, but you'd likely live a bit back from the ocean front, which is the bleeding edge of the continent when the storms hit.

Hilton Head and Bluffton are not my favorites. Nice in the off season but hell in the prime times. Terrific traffic heading to the beach. Scalding hot 20 miles inland.

Mt. Pleasant.....nice combo with reasonably easy access to city amenities and great beach and waterfront access much of the year. Best time to buy was 30 years ago. Traffic can be hell on the weekends about 25 weeks a year.

I grew up on IOP and while I love the ocean, I'd want to live a bit back of it most of the time.

You cannot go wrong. I vote Beaufort for a retired military guy. Second choice is Mt Pleasant but you'll have to pay more up front.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2020, 9:03 PM

I'm partial to Greenville, what a great town it's become. If you haven't visited recently you will be surprised. But I own a home in Beaufort and I do like the small town feel. That being said... Avoid Hilton Head like the plague! The traffic is horrendous and almost everyone is from Ohio. In fact just stick to main Beaufort, Lady's Island etc. Don't go towards Bluffton. My sister and other relatives live in Mt Pleasant. Once again double horrendous traffic and super high prices for homes. That being said I know of a pretty home on the water, intercoastal in Wild Dunes for 2 million, dock maybe $100,000 extra.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2020, 9:04 PM

I'm partial to Greenville, what a great town it's become. If you haven't visited recently you will be surprised. But I own a home in Beaufort and I do like the small town feel. That being said... Avoid Hilton Head like the plague! The traffic is horrendous and almost everyone is from Ohio. In fact just stick to main Beaufort, Lady's Island etc. Don't go towards Bluffton. My sister and other relatives live in Mt Pleasant. Once again double horrendous traffic and super high prices for homes. That being said I know of a pretty home on the water, intercoastal in Wild Dunes for 2 million, dock maybe $100,000 extra.

Apr 24, 2020, 9:04 PM

Apr 24, 2020, 9:06 PM

Well dang, sorry about that hiccup!

Apr 24, 2020, 9:44 PM

Thanks for all the great information. Beaufort does not seem too bad and it's not too far from Savannah. I agree being a little inland is not a bad idea either.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course some of your decision may be work-related

Apr 24, 2020, 9:54 PM

If so, Gulfstream Aerospace in Savannah, GA could be worth a look and lots of our employees live in Bluffton. But it's hard to beat the Greenville/Clemson/Keowee area. Agree with others who state Hilton Head/Bluffton traffic can be rough at times depending on season and time of day. Beaufort is beautiful, slower and off the beaten path if that's what you are looking for.

Thanks for your service, congratulations and best wishes ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic