Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Littlejohn rockin’ like Cameron...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Littlejohn rockin’ like Cameron...

Mar 3, 2018, 10:04 PM

1974...the Tigers had a pretty good team led by Skip Wise, Tree Rollins, Wayne Croft, JoJo Bethea, Colon Abraham and some others, but Tree got most of the attention, on account of his height and haircut, or lack thereof. Lefty’s Maryland Terps came to Littlejohn ranked number 3 in the country expecting a victory and a couple of days before that game the Washington Post ran a piece which insulted Rollins, saying he was no Tree, only a little bush. It not only offended Tree but all of Tiger Nation, including my wife and me. We obtained our general admission student tickets and sat on the aisle steps amid a packed Littlejohn Coliseum. Besides Rollins and the boys playing angry and pulling out a gritty win, I remember the sound meter with the colored lights which showed how loud the crowd noise registered...it was yellow and red most of the night. Whenever I see the excitement and energy at Duke basketball games, I am reminded of that night when Littlejohn was every bit as raucous. Keep getting better and Littlejohn will rock. Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Littlejohn rockin’ like Cameron...

Mar 3, 2018, 10:11 PM

Remember watching that team play. Great read!

Mar 3, 2018, 10:21 PM

I was there, too. Skip Wise could have been the greatest Tiger player ever, if he had not gone to the ABA.

One of--if not my favorite---Clemson basketball team

Mar 3, 2018, 10:39 PM

all those players you named were very young in their collegiate career and for a brief, fleeting moment, I thought our basketball program was readying to make the "next step" and become an ACC and national power. Wise left, the NCAA arrived, then the Tater left, and I knew things wouldn't be as much fun as they could've been.....still, I had a lot of respect for Bill Foster and hoped he might be the one to put our team on the path to success. But even that didn't work out as much as I thought

The one thing I didn't count on was that the biased officiating which existed even before the Locke/Foster years would actually get worse. The 4 schools (but mainly unc) in NC felt it was their privilege to control things and they saw no necessity of establishing a tradition of fine officiating. The media was centered from Charlotte to Raleighwood to Greensboro with smaller pockets around DC and they didn't want to lose their little fiefdoms, so those HOF scribes never wrote about how crappy the boxscores were every night. The talent continued to flow in to the conference.

Conference expansion has certainly changed the landscape, but not the tendency of the officiating and listening to fans comments of the new ACC teams as they visited the Triangle and became more and more familiar with the reality in which they found themselves was kinda comical....and simultaneously sad.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i still get sad that skip wasn't there to play on the 76-77

Mar 3, 2018, 10:45 PM

team. they went 22-6 without him

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 3, 2018, 11:23 PM

I remember a game in 1966 in Fike Fieldhouse vs No. 4 Duke. The pre-game line stretched from the side door of Fike across the parking lot all the way to the steps at the barracks. After patiently waitng for about an hour or so the door finally opened. The crowd moved forward in an orderly fashion for about 20 minutes. Then as game time grew near it was obvious some of us were going to miss the opening tip-off. That's when all hell broke loose and everyone charged the open door. Fortunately no one was crushed in the scrum. Once inside the crowd was awesome. Clemson played great. But Duke's #### Vasindec beat us at the buzzer with a twisting layup. Great game! Fike was rockin' that night like Cameron tonight.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there also.....

Mar 4, 2018, 12:08 AM

...sitting about 10 feet behind the MD bench giving Lefty the business. They had McMillan, Elmore, John Lucas, Mo Howard, and others. The place was rockin'. The golden era of ACC basketball, IMO, and I'm glad I got to witness those years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Read an article on Skip Wise a few years ago ...

Mar 4, 2018, 12:41 PM

Said he had a big pre-season or early season pro game in ABA or NBA, and his head coach came back to locker room an hour after game to pick something up, and Skip was still in there shooting something up his arm. Unfortunately a junkie. After that, the article said he became a playground legend often humbling NBA players. It's too bad - apparently he was incredible. Believe he was only freshman 1st team All-ACC at that time and beat out Phil Ford for ACC rookie of year. What a waste.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Read an article on Skip Wise a few years ago ...

Mar 4, 2018, 4:04 PM

Yes, he was the very 1st freshman to make All-ACC 1st team.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic