Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Travis Etienne climbing the ACC career rushing yards list:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 521

Travis Etienne climbing the ACC career rushing yards list:

Sep 20, 2020, 7:09 PM

Not too far to go to be the leader, and maybe by a LOT.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

soon

Sep 20, 2020, 7:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo is at 132 wins after the game this weekend.

Sep 20, 2020, 7:52 PM

Frank Howard is sitting there at 165 for his career at Clemson.

It'll only be a couple of years after this year before Dabo is the all-time winningest coach at Clemson.

That's not all that many seasons, really.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He does not get enough props from

Sep 20, 2020, 7:13 PM

Clemson fans, much less everyone else.

Ask anybody to name their top 5 Clemson players, he probably does not make the list.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've ranked him our #1 rb ever for 2 yrs now

Sep 20, 2020, 7:16 PM

I'd probably put him in top 5 of all players.

that list is getting harder and harder with each passing yr.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would bet we are in a minority.

Sep 20, 2020, 8:52 PM

Spiller for the younger crowd and Terry Allen for the older crowd and Priester for others.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I would bet we are in a minority.

Sep 20, 2020, 8:56 PM

I think Spiller was the best still and would have put up numbers like ETN if he was on the same teams. We will never know though?Both are great.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think Spiller could run for tough yards like

Sep 20, 2020, 10:01 PM

Etienne does. Etienne is more of a pure running back. Spiller might be a hair faster, though.

Etienne is only now becoming anything like the receiver that Spiller was.

Andre Ellington was a better RB than Spiller.

Sep 20, 2020, 10:41 PM

But, he was not a better football player than Spiller. So was James Davis, IMO. Spiller made up for his shortcomings at RB catching out of the backfield and in the return game. Spiller should have won the Heisman, but he’s not in the top 5 of our RBs, IMO. Dude was just an awesome football player.

Spiller was a good bit faster than Etienne, I’d bet. He’s up there with Jacoby Ford but not quite that fast.

We completely agree.....Spiller was a creatively used

Sep 20, 2020, 11:35 PM

world class athlete, but just a very good running back.

Terry Allen was and is our best running back, and anyone who didn't see him play and just tries to compare stats is missing the point. TA was running against some stout defenses who KNEW that 8 times out of 10 it was going to be a handoff to him or a Williams/Morocco keeper on the option. They were getting tough yards against stacked boxes every game.

https://youtu.be/d4rfYYa08UY

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not a good video to make your point imo

Sep 21, 2020, 7:51 AM

I watched the first 6 TD's and he was touched once, barely.

He was a tough runner, the toughest ever imo at Clemson.

Brother, I'd love a better video, but that's absolutely all

Sep 21, 2020, 9:46 AM

I could find. Zero from the Clemson era.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I LOVED Priester, LOVED him

Sep 21, 2020, 9:13 AM [ in reply to I would bet we are in a minority. ]

but he's not even close to the same category as CJ or ETN or Allen. I would say there's a tier with Priester, Gallman, Zachary, etc. REally good, but not great players

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To piggyback off what you said, would you agree that:

Sep 21, 2020, 9:24 AM

tier 1:
Allen, ETN, CJ

Tier 2:
Priester, Gallman, Zachary (I'll add in James Davis and Ellington)

Tier 3:
Jamie Harper, Dwayne Coleman, Reggie Merriweather, Yusef Kelly, Hot Rod, Mike Bellamy

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Zachary is 3rd tier. Not bad at all, great RB, but not of

Sep 21, 2020, 9:48 AM

the Ellington, Davis, Gallman, and Priester levels.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll have to take your word.

Sep 21, 2020, 10:16 AM

I didn't follow Clemson football until I stepped foot on campus in 2002.

I mean, I could name a player or two, but that's about it. Not sure I watched them play more than once or twice a year until I was a student.

Nossir

Sep 21, 2020, 10:04 AM [ in reply to To piggyback off what you said, would you agree that: ]

Tier 1: Allen, ETN, Davis, Spiller (I think as a pure RB he's tier 2, but what the heck....)

Tier 2: Gallman, Ellington, Flowers (Everyone always forgets about Kenny)

Tier 3: Priester, Zachary

Harper was completely unimpressive in his Clemson days, and I'm still befuddled by his NFL suceess. The others you mentioned might be fan favorites were just serviceable at RB with the occasional brilliant game.

Re: Nossir

Sep 21, 2020, 10:15 AM

I'm fine with Davis being tier 1.

I'm not even sure what decade Flowers played in, I'll take your word.

I was mostly joking about the 3rd tier players. Actually I was joking 100%.

Bellamy made me chuckle.***

Sep 21, 2020, 10:20 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL...that one tipped me off, but I whiffed on the others.

Sep 21, 2020, 10:22 AM

Darn it.

Come on man, Duane Coleman was a cornerback

Sep 21, 2020, 11:02 AM

because he done smoked it all

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he sure is fun to watch

Sep 20, 2020, 7:18 PM [ in reply to He does not get enough props from ]

our last 3 starters at RB have been incredibly fun to watch - Eyienne, Gallman, Ellington

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should he? With TL16, DW4, SW2, DH6, CJS28, CW42, AS41

Sep 20, 2020, 7:41 PM [ in reply to He does not get enough props from ]

JD45, and a few more.

Probably.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Leads Clemson in:

Sep 20, 2020, 8:03 PM

Most rushing yards
Most rushing TD's
Most all purpose TD's
Highest average per carry of any RB in Clemson history

There is more and more to come, obviously.

He is a quiet guy, not showy.

It's hard to judge. I'd argue we've had RBs of similar

Sep 20, 2020, 8:16 PM [ in reply to He does not get enough props from ]

Talent who never played on such a stacked, complete, and well coached team and would never have his numbers. Everyone on our team makes everyone else look good sometimes beyond their talent level. Think about some other great RBs we've had and put then next to TL with our WRs, and our online. Running our offense.

He's a great RB but his play station stats have a lot to do with our talent at other positions and our offense.

Then you have to think about other RBs with less talent, who at times have literally carried the team. Arguably they were more important because they carried the team. That's why I hate the Heisman because often it's a player who carries the team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will say...

Sep 20, 2020, 9:07 PM

I don't ever recall seeing a back at Clemson (or many other schools for that matter) who once they get past the first line of defense shifts from 1st to 4th gear so immediately. Spiller would be the most similar, but I still don't think Spiller had what Etienne has.

Etienne was somewhat lazy his freshman year, but since has become an extremely determined runner.

Well, like I said, hard to tell

Sep 21, 2020, 10:03 AM

CJ Spiller is still the fastest human being I've ever seen carry a football in a Clemson uniform. And we've had some fast guys. Some faster not carrying a football. What would Spiller look like in this offense? I dunno. But I can assure you his numbers would be higher and his productivity higher on this team, than the Tommy Bowden team he was forced to carry on his shoulders. But you really can't compare based on all the other factors that make a RB good. Or a QB, or a WR, or any position. We play as a team now, not a collection of talent. The latter is what Tommy Bowden, and most coaches try to accomplish. It's a very different coaching mindset from most coaches with Dabo. We recruit great talent, but it comes to Clemson to be a part of a team, not to carry a team. Those are the guys Dabo avoids recruiting. It is a totally natural tendency to focus on individual players. It is unnatural, but more effective, to look at the whole person, beyond skills, the whole team, beyond stars and talent, and make it all work the best way possible. Look at LSU this year, versus us. Sure, we ran into a generational talent, in the perfect situation, and LSU was unbeatable. Fine. Now look at LSU this year versus us.

Dabo is building a Dynasty team....make that program, not a good team that flashes every 5-10 years with greatness as some generational talent comes along. But a team that consistently is at the top and has a shot.

Oh, and one more thing. You may notice our players are accomplishing more today in the NFL than they did in years past. We have a 5'10" walkon who is starting and doing pretty well in the pros, and is a phenom for his size.

https://twitter.com/Raider_Ryan1/status/1298021637158305792

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some impressive 3 year totals on there including

Sep 20, 2020, 7:32 PM

what Travis did in 3 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just think if he played 4 quarters a game***

Sep 20, 2020, 8:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Like many of you I've seen a lot of very good............

Sep 21, 2020, 7:58 AM

ones at CU. I'm not going through the list.

ETN and CJ are the two best IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"you mf's be sleepin on Fred Cone" - @henry***

Sep 21, 2020, 9:01 AM

LOL...."I once saw Banks McFadden take a handoff,

Sep 21, 2020, 10:11 AM

run to Fike fieldhouse to take a whiz, and swap his jersey at Judge Keller's for a clean one before the pocket even had time to collapse!"

"What if" Spiller thought I just had

Sep 21, 2020, 11:06 AM

Spiller was a great player, but he's probably the one player in the college universe at the time who could make Rob Spence's tiredass lateral screen game work.

What if, absent Spiller, Bowden had been forced to fire the mad scientist and brought in someone halfway decent? Probably would have bought him a few more years and eliminated the chance for Dabo to get hired. Dabo probably would have bounced around for several more years, moving up the traditional coaching position ranks and then would have been a HC for a couple years at some mid-major. From a time standpoint, he might just have gotten his first big HC job in the last year or two, if he had gotten it at all.

In that sense, we (and Dabo) owe Spiller even more by ironically sinking Bowden with his on-field success.

Ok, maybe it was just me.***

Sep 21, 2020, 3:07 PM

For me I think it's clear that ETN is the best RB at CU of

Sep 21, 2020, 3:16 PM

all time, bar none (apologies to william floyd).

Allen and Spiller are right there next. Imma go with TA for #2 RB, CJ #1 FOOTBALL player. As a pure RB though, Spiller for me is below Allen.

Davis, Gallman, Priester all in the next tier. Maybe Flowers too.

Zero discussion IMO about ETN's status. Watch games, look at numbers. Yes he's surrounded by more talent, and yes he's played a fraction of the amount time possible too.

I’m a nostalgic man, TRDJ.

Sep 21, 2020, 3:18 PM

Give me 10 years and I will be fully waxing poetic about what ETN is doing today.

And that's exactly why I mentioned

Sep 21, 2020, 3:27 PM

BAR NONE and William Floyd. You member him?

Look, I'm a nostalgic guy too. Simply by the numbers ETN is in a class of his own. In ACC history. And the low mileage on him makes it even more impressive IMO.

Oh I get it, and he’s absolutely impressive.

Sep 21, 2020, 3:40 PM

I got him top 2, fighting for the top spot.

What makes it hard for me is that I can see TA having a field day in our current offense. I’m not as positive that TE would flourish as well in TA’s place in 1989. The sophisticated offenses of 2020 make D’s play much more tentatively in stopping the run in 2020 than they did against a basic option offense in 1989, which helps RB numbers, and as I alluded to earlier, the way the game is officiated has changed quite a bit in 30 years as well, which has only helped offensive production. Lenient holding calls, targeting, qb protection rules, defenseless player rules—-they’ve all combined to give offenses an edge.

Etienne has made TD runs of 20+ yards after

Sep 21, 2020, 3:31 PM [ in reply to I’m a nostalgic man, TRDJ. ]

making a spin move *inside the hole* to get away from a DL who has had both hands on him.

His YAC is probably one of the best all-time, at least since they started keeping that stat.

Spiller did win me a shot oncet.

Sep 21, 2020, 6:40 PM

I was watching Clemson vs. Miami at a bar with a buddy who was a Miami fan. Lived in Houston at the time. Anyway, he was talking a bunch of #### after they just scored a TD. I was like, “That’s cool #####. Watch this. CJ is about to take this kickoff back to the HOUSE!”

A few minutes later, there we were... doing Jaegermeister shots on his tab. The disbelief his face was priceless.

Replies: 39
| visibility 521
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic