Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Les Miles to Kansas
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Les Miles to Kansas

Nov 15, 2018, 5:07 PM

Looks like everything is lining up for them to announce the hire in the next day or two. Les just came to an agreement with LSU to settle the amount they still owe him and it's being reported the Kansas AD wants to announce the hire as soon as possible. Reminds me of Holtz to South Carolina. Of course, Kansas has more history than the coots, more conference Championships, and has been to and won a NY6 Bowl. I could see Miles tapping into the Juco market like Snyder did and having some success out there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Les Miles to Kansas

Nov 15, 2018, 5:13 PM

GT should have fired PJ and went after him.

those guys are idiots they are happy

Nov 15, 2018, 5:20 PM

with that crap PJ runs on the field

they are 500 team with 1 or 2 wins a year they shouldn't win.

dumbholes

null

It's true...

Nov 15, 2018, 7:23 PM

GT has some challenges they are just not willing to face head on right now with regards to academic standards, transfers, etc.

I also get the feeling GT is trying to stock pile money like we did in the 90's and go big in a few years on facilities and a new coach. They have spent very little when compared to UGA, Clemson & Tenn.

They just signed a deal with adidas that will also help them from a budget standpoint.

With that said, I hope PJ stays there a long time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you really believe that GT has higher academic standards

Nov 15, 2018, 9:44 PM

for student-athletes than Clemson does? Or is that just an excuse by GT to justify poor recruiting classes?

I acknowledge that they have more limited major choices than other schools, but I have a hard time believing that they expect their football and basketball recruits to be stellar in the classroom.

From where I sit, their problem is that their facilities are poor and they run an offense than hinders their recruiting. And that they don't have as many athlete-friendly majors.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Do you really believe that GT has higher academic standards

Nov 15, 2018, 10:53 PM

Our players don’t have to take calculus, unless they choose a major which requires it. At GT, everyone has to take it.

they used to require 1000 on the SAT even after the minimum

Nov 16, 2018, 7:32 AM [ in reply to Do you really believe that GT has higher academic standards ]

Was set at 800. Not sure if this is still true though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2018, 7:46 AM [ in reply to Do you really believe that GT has higher academic standards ]

* Yes, but it is not that much of a gap. The limited major choice and a couple of odd gen-eds challenges drive that gap as mentioned. Their issue, unlike UNCheat, is they don't bend at the bottom as much. The probably lose some talent to non-ACC schools (like UCF/USF) etc. Sure it is not program wide and it is only a player here and there but that could be important in some year recruiting needs. GT is not deep in its ability to have 4/5 stars lining up to pick between the smart ones and those that will wash out. So they run a bigger risk between a substandard 4 and a 2 star. Even then the "development" time for some of their players makes the academics questionable. Even if they can bend admissions, if the kid does not take car of the class item AND needs 2 years of development, then it is a wasted spot.

Nov 16, 2018, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Do you really believe that GT has higher academic standards ]

for student-athletes than Clemson does? Or is that just an excuse by GT to justify poor recruiting classes?

I acknowledge that they have more limited major choices than other schools, but I have a hard time believing that they expect their football and basketball recruits to be stellar in the classroom.

From where I sit, their problem is that their facilities are poor and they run an offense than hinders their recruiting. And that they don't have as many athlete-friendly majors.

GT has invested very little in the way of facilities which puts them at a disadvantage. The fact that they offer very few non technical degrees is also a problem. Last time I looked, they offered a sociology degree but they focused on research methodology which required calculus and statistics

Nov 16, 2018, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Do you really believe that GT has higher academic standards ]

The difficulty of the basic math and science courses at tech is pretty steep. A lot of people drop out their freshman years from tech.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As someone who is close to several coaches in their atheltic

Nov 16, 2018, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Do you really believe that GT has higher academic standards ]

department, I can confirm they do indeed have challenges other schools don't when it comes to admittance.

There.

Re: those guys are idiots they are happy

Nov 16, 2018, 10:43 AM [ in reply to those guys are idiots they are happy ]

GT is a bunch of nerds that inherited a program with rich history, and they dont know what to do with it.

Its like seeing a widow that knows nothing about cars who inherited her husbands Ferrari which she lets sit outside in the rain for 10 years, uncovered and undriven. "Its just a car, and its too low for me to drive comfortably" she says.

"Why watch some dumb jocks beat each other up and rake in tens of millions in sports revenue when we can build a frikken laser and then protect our virginity by watching japanese anime all night??" - GT admin/students, probably.

let's be honest. Les Miles is probably the biggest bone

Nov 16, 2018, 5:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Les Miles to Kansas ]

Head that's ever won a title. It going to be tough sledding at Kansas until his gets LSU 2005 type talent. (Which will be never)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he can at least get Kansas to 6-6, 7-5***

Nov 15, 2018, 5:13 PM

Nov 15, 2018, 5:18 PM

Maybe he will inject some defense into the Big 12 . Hire a bigtime defensive coordinator . Convince southern kids that Kansas is a great place to spend 4 years .

DB23

Nov 15, 2018, 5:18 PM

Jayhawks have basketball . Breaking through in football is improbable but not out of the question .

Message was edited by: Tigerdug23®

DB23

An odd choice for Kansas

Nov 15, 2018, 5:20 PM

Les Miles got fired from LSU basically for a lack of willingness to open up the offense. Now he gets hired by a Big 12 school? Not likely that his ground and pound offensive style is going to be successful in that league (particularly when he won't have defensive players from his backyard in Louisiana).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

I heard on the news that he agreed to a buyout from.........

Nov 15, 2018, 5:35 PM

LSU of $1.5 million (down from $6.5 million).

Why would he agree to a reduction like that?

Here's my guess

Nov 15, 2018, 5:46 PM

His contract at LSU probably only continued to pay him his "buyout" if he didn't get another coaching job. I suspect that he convinced LSU to pay the $1.5 million even though he was getting another job so that he could accept a position from Kansas that will pay Les less than $6.5 million.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: Here's my guess

Nov 15, 2018, 5:58 PM

Here is one thing about Kansas football history. The name is Gayle Sayers.

Good for him... only one way to go at Kansas. good situation***

Nov 15, 2018, 6:36 PM

Could be wrong but I think this ends really poorly

Nov 15, 2018, 7:44 PM

Kansas needs somebody young, energetic, and innovative. Les miles is none of those things.

Then again the power I might be considered innovative in the Big XII lol. Its certainly not what everyone else is doing.

Nov 15, 2018, 9:38 PM

I wish him well and don't have anything against the guy.

Nov 16, 2018, 12:16 AM

I like Miles and hope he does well there.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2018, 9:40 PM

But why would he agree to a reduced LSU buyout? Does the hiring school have to pick it up in order for to coach?

Was wondering about that too

Nov 16, 2018, 5:06 PM

There is an offset, so apparently he plans on making more than $5 million from Kansas in the next couple years.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_e2bc3be8-e918-11e8-8aa8-0343843b65d5.html

Nov 15, 2018, 10:47 PM

OP just threw some shade on the Gamecocks using Kansas like a ninja star and I'm the first to give a thumbs up?

Les gets to chew on some good old midwest cow

Nov 16, 2018, 8:39 AM

fertilized grass. And, Kansas gets an upgrade at coach. Happyness all around.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I Think It's Like Cutcliffe @ Duke

Nov 16, 2018, 10:12 PM

All Les has to do is get Kansas to .500 or 1 above .500 & J-hawk fans will probably be fine with it. Better than year after year of dragging the Big 12 bottom. If he can cruise & be somewhat competitive, I think he stays a good while. Like what Cutcliffe has done at Duke. I've always thought Duke's D.C. has one of the best jobs in Power 5. Just win between 6 & 8 a year & collect $3-mil annually. Seems like Miles would be in a similar position.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic