Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Leadership
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Leadership

Sep 11, 2016, 1:00 PM

Now that I've had a chance to really sit back and think about this season's first two games, I think this team is lacking player leadership. I've texted a few players who were on the team last season, and it's obvious that guys like Shaq Lawson and Jayron Kearse (as bad as he played) were very vocal leaders who didn't let things get out of hand. I saw it myself from Lawson in the practices leading up to the Orange Bowl...he walked around screaming at players he thought were loafing.

This team is still very young, and many of the offensive stars are just juniors and they aren't the vocal type. Williams, Watson, Scott...they just don't say a lot. Guillermo is the funny man. There is no Mac Lain to step on a few toes when needed.

Brent Venables tells us all the time that the best teams he's been on are self-led - the coaches can only do so much. And I know first hand these coaches are doing all they can to get this team ready. But I didn't see a player other than Adrian Baker go over to McCloud yesterday. Alexander would have. Kearse would have. Dabo had to get in the receivers huddle.

I am positive that Ben Boulware is doing his part as the vocal guy - but it takes more than one. And you can't make a player be a leader - they have to have it in them. And some of these guys are young and maybe afraid to step up and say something.

These are questions I am going to ask this week...we will see what answers are given.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THat's a great point and something always overlooked when

Sep 11, 2016, 1:10 PM

preseason talk is going on.
It's an intangible that goes a long way toward defining a season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Leadership

Sep 11, 2016, 1:11 PM

Thanks for sharing David. Maybe the Troy game will spark some players to step up into a leadership role.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2016, 1:15 PM

Every team grows together.......different teams do it at different rates....I see Seth Ryan stepping up here very quickly...I see some of our youth showing....but ...I also see very quickly that our youth will step up and be men!

It is all gonna come together....and when it does....it might just be a beautiful thing....

Patience Grasshoppers!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ben was one of the few that I saw in DW's ear yesterday

Sep 11, 2016, 1:15 PM

which lends itself to your thoughts.

Ray Ray, the obvious moment in the sun aside, showed a fire I expect from everyone and he's been a self-professed high school star that needed to understand and grasp the reality of the work/effort it takes at this level.

Troy didn't wilt, hats off to them as they had chances to do so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

David this is a good point. But I argue if these guys

Sep 11, 2016, 1:16 PM

just did the little things like catch the ball in their hands or hold onto the ball going over the end zone it would have been a different game. We need leadership, no doubt, but our execution has been off so far and our guys just need to get better here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: David this is a good point. But I argue if these guys

Sep 11, 2016, 4:19 PM

True, but players holding each other accountable (leadership) should also result in better execution.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Sep 11, 2016, 1:17 PM

David, I was watching on TV and I seen multiple players go over to Ray Ray... Not just Baker

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeps, they did, but Ray Ray isn't a "leader" of this team

Sep 11, 2016, 1:18 PM

or not one that's been pointed out by the coaches.

He's easily more approachable in a moment of caring than to grab 10 300+ pound guys on the OL and shake them by the neck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2016, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Leadership ]

Maybe Ray Ray needed more than a pat on the helmet. Maybe he needed some of the Shaq Lawson kind of love.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I couldn't see the names on the back of the jerseys, but

I watched the game on tv and they only briefly showed Ray Ray on the sideline but it showed Deon Cain and at least 2 more players talking to RR and patting him on the helmet.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True*****

Sep 11, 2016, 4:19 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

they worked hard to get in this position. I hate to see complacency and indifference cause them to blow it. I was hoping to see some improvement yesterday but I really didnt. So far "best is the standard" rings very hollow with this group.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I agree, you are totally ignoring the fact that...

Sep 11, 2016, 1:20 PM

the coaches allowed the players to watch ESPN and read news papers, and the two OC setup just doesn't work, and that our receivers are overrated, and that our online has no fire, and that Venables should not get off this easy, and that Watson is coasting this season, and that our team would rather play video games than real games, and that IPTAY moved some folks parking spots around for no good reason.

Thoughts?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: While I agree, you are totally ignoring the fact that...

Sep 11, 2016, 1:21 PM

All of a sudden the two Offensive cords doesn't work for you?

You're ALL OUT!

All ideas posted on tnet in the past 24 hrs.

Sep 11, 2016, 3:37 PM

Not my ideas, but ideas none the less.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

And that Tropocal played golf this morning...

Sep 11, 2016, 5:06 PM [ in reply to While I agree, you are totally ignoring the fact that... ]

Instead of watching film and making inane posts - yet nobody on TigeRNet called me out!

MacLain, MA 2, Shaq. That's a lot of leadership gone.

Sep 11, 2016, 1:21 PM

I think you're on to something.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for this take, will be interested in updates

Sep 11, 2016, 1:24 PM

on this. We have heard coaches say several times that the single most important factor in a team's success is on field leadership. If a team doesn't have it, the turnaround the fans keep expecting due to talent level simply won't happen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A lot of guys went over to Ray Ray

Sep 11, 2016, 1:27 PM

Just about all the receivers patted him on the pads and head.

Sep 11, 2016, 1:30 PM

You might just be right. This could be part of the reason folks are not seeing the sense of urgency. Here's to this game being the wake up call and the catalyst to a leader stepping up besides Ben.

I don't buy the Leadership argument....

Sep 11, 2016, 1:51 PM

Coots have had zero leadership for 2 years running and they managed to beat SEC Vanderbilt last week. Did I mention Vanderbilt is in the SEC..

"Does not hold water"

Christian Wilkins is a leader, and a vocal member of this

Sep 11, 2016, 1:54 PM

team. As you mentioned, Ben Boulware is another.

Offensively, I'm not sure who would fit the mold as a vocal leader this year. Mitch Hyatt seems to be a man of few words, same for the rest of the line except for Guillermo, but as you mentioned, he has been more of prankster than a vocal leader.

To me, the message on offense has to come from Watson and/or Gallman. They were the heart and soul of our offensive success last year, and while they are not necessarily vocal leaders, they ARE the leaders of the offense. A leader doesn't have to make an eloquent speech, they just have to command the respect of the people they are conveying their message. The loudest message often comes from men of few words.

This is an indictment on DW4 if this is the case.***

Sep 11, 2016, 1:57 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Sep 11, 2016, 3:44 PM

Said this very comment to my wife upon return from Anderson earlier today. When a team loses seniors and juniors who were vocal or who led by example somebody else has to step up.

Personally I believe the offense and defense need separate players only meetings to sort out matters quite bluntly so that all are on the same page so to speak.

Go Tigers!!

This reminds of David Hood's article after 2013 FSU loss..

Sep 11, 2016, 3:46 PM

Where he stated that game was our only shot at taking it to the next level. Well that season we ended up going to the Orange Bowl and won our first Orange Bowl in 32 years. I will trust our proven coaching staff, instead of the my is falling reactions.

Go Jets

Go Tigers

Isn't it eerie how you share this absurdity over a 2013...

Sep 11, 2016, 4:28 PM

article with a poster banned ~about the same time you created a new user here on the TigerNets?

@B-Meist might not say it, but I will - Welcome back Tigerking79.

BOOM!

Sep 11, 2016, 4:56 PM

Names can change but the people are the same.

haha.... this is awesome.....

Sep 11, 2016, 5:15 PM [ in reply to Isn't it eerie how you share this absurdity over a 2013... ]

good work dsq

Thanks, DSQ is here to help & maybe, if milano plays...

Sep 11, 2016, 5:38 PM

her cards right, we'll have another edition of The Greatest Moments in DSQ's Tmail?

Make the hot chocolate & gather ye 'round.

Sep 11, 2016, 4:01 PM

I'd chime in on this but Hood would probably TD me.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for posting. Makes complete sense *****

Sep 11, 2016, 4:12 PM

Sep 11, 2016, 4:49 PM

David - I think you are on the right track... It really does appear we have an execution/accountability problem right now. We have the talent, the coaches, and the facilities/environment to produce a championship caliber team so maybe vocal/visible player leadership is the missing ingredient. It's one thing to be held accountable by your coach - it is a whole new world to be held accountable by both your coach and your peers (player leadership). Hopefully this past weekends performance inspires some of these soft spoken juniors to break out of their mold to be more vocal leaders that produces a healthy environment of player to player accountability.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic