Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't think Dan Radakovich has the same sense of urgency
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

I don't think Dan Radakovich has the same sense of urgency

Jan 20, 2017, 8:09 AM

regarding our basketball program as the fan base does.

Unless the bottom falls out over the remainder of the season, I don't see him being ready to pull the trigger on a new coach if we get to the NIT. He was the impetus behind the awfully structured contract extension so he sort of HAS to stand by his man or he looks like he made a colossal mistake.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:Sat versus VT is Military Appreciation Day

Jan 20, 2017, 8:17 AM

The way we are playing I think the military deserves better. Maybe drop the game designation. Yesterday was a disgrace

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think Dan Radakovich has the same sense of urgency

Jan 20, 2017, 8:19 AM

Are you going to pay his buyout? And the lucrative contract to get a big name coach?

If you've got the ten million it's going to take, give Drad a call. I'm sure he'll listen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would be about half that

Jan 20, 2017, 8:32 AM

Brownell's buyout should be around 3-3.5 million now. It would probably take around 2 million to get another coach so the difference in salary is about 500k. Add that up and its only about 4-5 million in NEW money that it would take to make a change.

DRad learned the lesson of Georgia Tech. He's done a fairly good job of protecting the coaches and protecting the program.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It would be about half that

Jan 20, 2017, 8:38 AM

Fair enough. That's still a lot of money when we just spent a lot on facilities that we know Brownell needs. The place hasn't even collected a layer of dust yet and people are ready to fire a coach. It's stupid.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The building could be the reason DRad expects more

Jan 20, 2017, 8:49 AM

You are likely to see a drop off in season tickets next year because the newness will be off LJC. You really can't throw hopelessness in the equation too. New facilities can be a blessing and a curse.

If folks get embarrassed enough about basketball, coming up with that money won't be a hurdle. The worst thing would be if folks become lethargic enough to not even care. The last time I remember folks being this blase about basketball was during the Shyatt era. Luckily he was so bad it became embarrassing and it was obvious something had to be done. Brownell has been just good enough to fly under the radar and just bad enough to not excite the fans.

Jan 20, 2017, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: It would be about half that ]

DRad fired Leggett before he got to use his new facility that he personally fundraised for and had our potentially best player ever signed to play the next year.

Jan 20, 2017, 5:39 PM

Careful now. The pro-BB crowd will let you know "that's diffferent." BB is always one year away. Our former baseball coach, who was inducted in the sport's Hall of Fame, was never very good in the first place.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2017, 11:13 AM [ in reply to It would be about half that ]

Anyone who would pay BB that amount f one-way is clueless! Based on his past performances and season records, IMO he is clearly NOT a Division I basketball, coach. I am correct. Hr ay very well understand the game but the key is the ability to pass that knowledge on to others as in the players. Too bad but he needs to be terminated.

So far basketball is DRads only problem area. Everything

Jan 20, 2017, 8:25 AM

else seems to be improving. The last thing on earth anyone in charge of the athletic department needs to do is waste their time listening to suggestions from Tigernet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Last night was the first time it looked like we didn't care

Jan 20, 2017, 8:25 AM

There have been plenty of games where we simply haven't been as good as the other team. Last night looked like we were lazy and just wanted to get off the court. Maybe we were tired, maybe we were outclassed, maybe UofL is a much better team than we are and they played great and we played terrible. But that was the first time I would say that "effort" was the problem. They had almost as many offensive rebounds as we had defensive rebounds. Thats just lacking the "want to" to get it done.

These next 3 games are huge for the season and going forward. We've got 9 or 10 very winnable games over the remainder of the season. We absolutely need to go no worse than 8-4. THats 19-11 and 9-9 in the ACC.

Re: Last night was the first time it looked like we didn't care

Jan 20, 2017, 9:14 AM

GT looked like we didn't care. That was an awful loss for us.
IMO rebounding is our biggest issue. I've seen it all year, but we do not follow our shots. Don't care if anyone is posted up under the basket before launching a (too early in the play clock) three. Many times Thomas or Djitte is the only person within 15 feet of the basket during shots and no one crashes the boards. Our one big guy is outnumbered 3 to 1 down there and can't be expected to grab rebounds on his own. I believe lack of effort/hustle on rebounds on both ends of the floor is our biggest weakness.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sadly, I don't have a sense of urgency.***

Jan 20, 2017, 8:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

You better. Its only 28 days until 1st pitch!***

Jan 20, 2017, 8:34 AM

Not surprising since you have no

Jan 20, 2017, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Sadly, I don't have a sense of urgency.*** ]

sense whatsoever.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Not surprising since you have no

Jan 21, 2017, 8:06 AM

^^^He had 2 cents, and he shared it. HTH

Would you embrace hoops mediocrity if you were guaranteed

Jan 20, 2017, 8:35 AM

A Top-10 football program every year from this day forward?

That appears to be sort of where we're headed whether we like it or not.

Not saying we MUST accept one for the other. Just asking if you would ....

Re: Would you embrace hoops mediocrity if you were guaranteed

Jan 20, 2017, 8:46 AM

Would prefer it.

Why would you "prefer" it?

Jan 20, 2017, 9:14 AM

We might have to accept and even embrace a mediocre basketball program, but not sure why we would prefer it.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2017, 8:45 AM

He doesn't care!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can tell that especially by he deplorable shape of the girl's team - a loser coach for the past 4 years and always will be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2017, 8:07 AM

"deplorable"? Hey - I resemble that remark. Just ask Hillary.

Jan 20, 2017, 8:57 AM

I think he feels like he did what he needed to with the facility upgrades. That was the problem when he was at GT.

He made a brilliant hire in baseball with Monte Lee. Time to do the same in bball. Clemson bball needs a gimmick to be successful....ie. Purnell's type system.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have you spoken with him about this?

Jan 20, 2017, 8:57 AM

Or if this just more baseless speculation?

Yes.

Jan 20, 2017, 9:02 AM

I emailed him my concerns last year and he was kind enough to take time out of his busy day to respond, which I appreciated very much.

I also did the same last year. He responded.

Jan 20, 2017, 9:05 AM

I thought that was cool of him. He made it clear that CBB wasn't going anywhere. It would be interesting if he still feels the same.

I don't want to reveal what was actually said, but

Jan 20, 2017, 9:10 AM

I would agree with your assessment of the response I received.

He's definitely not feeling the heat of the fanbase that he

Jan 20, 2017, 9:19 AM

was with the Leggett decision.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reliance on transfers has bought him some time in the

Jan 20, 2017, 9:24 AM

minds of many fans, which I think is something he and DRAd made a conscious decision to do. That is a big part of my frustration with the program.

But, I do think even the most ardent Brownell supporters are starting to see that "wait til next year when our amazing transfers step up" isn't a real plan for success.

He did make a colossal mistake...

Jan 20, 2017, 11:18 AM

but now he's married to it and pregnant by it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Remember this is the same guy

Jan 20, 2017, 12:30 PM

That kept Hewitt around at GT

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

if you want to have "urgency"

Jan 20, 2017, 6:19 PM

then get 9000 of your best whiney friends

to show up at every game, win or lose, and without regard the record.

THEN, the Clemson admin will start to care about

what the so-called fans think.

Why don't you grow up.

Jan 20, 2017, 6:50 PM

You act like a child.

Jan 20, 2017, 10:37 PM

BB will probably be around for at least next year.

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

I don't think you know what Radakovich is thinking.***

Jan 20, 2017, 10:51 PM

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I don't think you know what Radakovich is thinking.***

Jan 21, 2017, 8:11 AM

Perhaps his actions speak louder than his inaction. Maybe DRad just doesn't share the same love for BBall as many CLEMSON fans do. Maybe he doesn't even know that we have a WBB team - or just doesn't care. The truth will be revealed soon enough. :)

This is ridiculous

Jan 21, 2017, 2:22 PM

He isn't going to fire a coach mid-season unless there is a huge scandal or major issue going on. Our men's basketball team is not dealing with something like that, so I'm sure he will wait until the end of the season to evaluate Brownell's performance.

As much as we all want to win, Brad is a genuine guy and really hard worker who has poured his heart and soul into being our basketball coach. Even though his results have not been what we want thus far, he has run a first class program, recruited good kids, and has gotten them to graduate at a record level for basketball. Let's show him some respect and allow him to finish the season before calling for his head.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

we have yo have a winning season for NIT***

Jan 21, 2017, 8:55 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Terry Don Phillips did the same with Bowden when he had

Jan 21, 2017, 1:04 PM

the chance to let him go at a cheap price. We all wanted him gone but TDP gave new contract with a nice large buyout. We seem to like doing this for some reason? Are we still paying Bowden?

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

OLe Brad

Jan 21, 2017, 1:07 PM

Good guy, but...
probably wasn't the right hire to start with.
Well, actually it wasn't... but trying to be nice

Do you know why we hired Brownell?

Jan 21, 2017, 2:26 PM

Because the first several guys on our list weren't interested. Do you know why they weren't interested? Because at that time, we had very little commitment to basketball. Yes, Purnell had been to the NCAAs in the several years prior, but it was obvious that all of our money and support was being put toward football. No top basketball coach wants to deal with those politics.

We are in a much different position now. We have the much needed facilities, and the backing of the administration. We have not had this combination at any point in our history. We can attract a high major head coach now, rather than having to get a mid-major head coach or successful assistant. This is how it should be.

Jan 21, 2017, 2:07 PM

I think it is exactly like the fan base...

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic