Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Corico Hawkins (Long breakdown)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Corico Hawkins (Long breakdown)

Jul 27, 2012, 3:01 AM

Call this a rant, analysis, critique, whatever. I've noticed the past year that Corico Hawkins hasn't really been what most people say he is. I have the Auburn and Maryland games dvr'd, and went back to break down his play. One sidenote, I played Mike LB in college, so I tend to watch that position more, and consider myself a pretty good judge of film breakdown. Anyway, the first thing I noticed was that he is out of position on almost EVERY play. He's exactly what you don't want in a Mike LB, serviceable. He can fill the position, knows the plays, but isn't going to make any of them. Now don't get me wrong, he's made some, but those don't make up for the ones he gives up. The main problem: No man's land. I don't understand how the coaches let him get away with this, because he's basically rendering himself useless. No man's land is basically getting washed up in the line of scrimmage on pass plays where you aren't providing any pressure, and you aren't deep enough to cover or even be a body in the way. You basically take yourself out of the play. You either blitz, FULL SPEED, or drop back in coverage. He runs up like he's blitzing, and for whatever reason just reads. But he's just right behind the DL. Anyway, the second thing is that he doesn't play downhill AT ALL. He "catches" tackles, and frequently over runs them. He pursues decently, but doesn't break down to tackle very well at all. This results in more yardage after contact, missed, and broken tackles. The one reason I believe he played over Anthony last year is because of the calls and assignments. Anthony was obviously learning on the fly. Corico knew what his assignment was, you can tell, but just failed to deliver. I just wanted to post my analysis for everyone, because we're all excited about all these different people, but I gotta say I'm more excited about Anthony starting over Hawkins. He had more potential last year, and if you pay close enough attention, you'll see Hawkins was a major factor in most of the inside yards given up.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you!!

Jul 27, 2012, 5:20 AM

I've said this about Corico all season. Great guy but he is pretty much just a body taking up the position. Lack of intensity mixed with, in my opinion, lack of size at mike is what hurt us most on D. I like the way Anthony played mike but I would still like to see a bigger body fill the position to fill run support up the middle.

Re: Corico Hawkins (Long breakdown)

Jul 27, 2012, 6:00 AM

According to the current Depth chart Corico (new last name?) has moved to Will. Anthony is starting at Mike. Maybe the new coach saw the same thing.

I agree. I hope BV can get to him cause he misses tackles constantly***

Jul 27, 2012, 6:22 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Tony Steward, anyone?

Jul 27, 2012, 7:13 AM

He was to be the guy for us. Maybe he still will. I hope so, cause the kid is just a freakin awesome person.

IMO,the LB's will florish under BV.Our LB's have been

Jul 27, 2012, 7:23 AM

playing too confused and "Defensive" under Steele.We have at least 6-7 very good LB's and it's going to be fun to see them hash it out for starting spots.I wouldn't even count Shuey out of the race either.

Last name is Wright now. He changed it

Jul 27, 2012, 7:40 AM

just FYI.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Steele.***

Jul 27, 2012, 7:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Corico Hawkins (Long breakdown)

Jul 27, 2012, 8:04 AM

I havent played linebacker and don't know a lot about x's and o's. But I do know our linebackers have looked totally confused the last couple years. As the ball is being snapped they are still running around pointing and looking at each other instead of in position.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Speaking of LBs...

Jul 27, 2012, 8:54 AM

I saw here yesterday that someone posted J. Parker is redshirting for his Jr. year. Is this true? Or just more false info?

At any rate...nice breakdown and thanks for posting. I played LB in HS and that is a position I tend to focus on a lot too. Hawkins always seems confused to be, but I chalked that up to an overly complex scheme.

With his move to WILL, and BV's more "free wheelin'" ways, do you think we'll finally see Hawkins flourish, or do you think that ship has sailed?

Just to play devil's advocate...

Jul 27, 2012, 9:01 AM

Isn't it possible that on those plays where he was in "no-man's land" that he was actually spying the QB? In that case, it would make sense that he wasn't blitzing or dropping in coverage, but rather getting close to the line to contain the QB.

null

Re: Just to play devil's advocate...

Jul 27, 2012, 9:38 AM

Wish he had contained some of the running qb's better. Conner Shaw took advantage of it last year, and several others did the year before. I'm not sure which guy was at Mike, but it sickens me to see the defense basically shut a play down with good coverage, only to see the qb pull it down and make first downs. I believe BV will get that fixed, along with all the confusion that was obvious to anybody watching.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I couldn't disagree with you more, actually....

Jul 27, 2012, 9:02 AM

I coach the game at the HS level and I can tell you that from a technical standpoint, much of what you say about Hawkins (or whatever his name is now) is not exactly on teh mark. It has a LOT more to do with Steele's failure to coach the talent to D1 level. If the LB's failed to get in position, make the right reads, etc. as well as failed in some technical areas (like shedding blocks, turning your back to the play, not squaring up, overpursuit, etc.), I put that blame 100% on the shoulders of Steele.

To call out one player in particular when the unit as a whole underperformed, is grossly unfair. Let's first see how they do in BV's scheme before we start condemning players. Wow, just wow.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

I, too, thought the same thing and was very critical

Jul 27, 2012, 9:28 AM

at times of Corico's play---so many plays ran right through his position because he was seldom ready for the snap (it seemed) and incessantly seemed unsure of where he was supposed to be.

Then, I began to hear that the entire linebacking crew (which, lets face it, was horrible much of the time last season) never understood its assignments--a critical judgement of the Coordinators sets being too complicated.

The Orange Bowl was the ultimate case in point. They ran the same (sweep-type) play over and over again and our linebackers were out of position to stop it over and over again even though Tiger fans in the stands were yelling what the mountaineers were getting ready to do.

But now we have a new DC.

So, I want to retract at least some of my criticism of Corico--he was far from the only LB with issues--until I see him perform in Venables new defenses. Maybe all of us will get a better idea of why the coaches think he's the man for the job.

ALL of our LB's and corners need to learn to tackle better, IMO

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I, too, thought the same thing and was very critical

Jul 27, 2012, 9:30 AM

Exactly. Let's see how they perform under BV before we start calling players out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: I, too, thought the same thing and was very critical

Jul 27, 2012, 5:10 PM

Ridgeland, you do have a point. To a degree. I blame Steele for a lot of it. The only difference in Corico Hawkins or whatever his last name is is that you coach HS, and this is college. If a player does all that in HS, its the coaches fault. When a player overpursues, lacks aggressiveness, and blitzes at half speed, that's completely on him in college. I'm a huge Clemson supporter, and I don't like calling people out, bu t I can't figure out why he plays. I played D1-AA football, and in all honesty we had four or five LBs that would have started over him. That's pretty ridiculous. Defend him all you want. If Corico is a D1 MLB I'm a brain surgeon. (I'm not.)

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic