Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Larry Penley
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Larry Penley

May 27, 2018, 2:45 PM

The man has had a great coaching career at Clemson, but at what point does the AD say "his best years are behind him"? Reminds me so much of Jack Leggett with big success A LONG time ago, but above average in the last 15 years plus. He hasn't won an ACC championship in 14 years, or a Region championship in 14 years, and his one NC was 15 years ago. I think the state has a ton of great golfers, Clemson has a great facility, and we're underachieving.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Larry Penley

May 27, 2018, 3:08 PM

He hasn’t won the ACC in 14 years? When did we vacate the 2016 ACC title?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2018, 3:11 PM

2016 says hello. Idiot Coot is an idiot.

May 27, 2018, 3:19 PM

Sorry, the Clemsontigers.com does not list the 2016 Championship...ONE championship in 14 years. Impressive

May 27, 2018, 3:42 PM

You’ve been posting negatively all day about the golf team. Certainly someone who is so invested in the golf team would know we won the ACC two years ago. Or, are you a coot who comes out of the sewer every time something doesn’t go well at Clemson? I think it is the latter.

May 27, 2018, 3:18 PM

You and I have a VERY different definition of underachieving.

Turk had to WD from the tournament after having his clubs stolen and not playing well with new clubs which hindered us greatly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2018, 3:21 PM

Good grief, so did Turk not play the first round? And whose decision was it to put him back in the 3rd round? And should a top tier collegiate golfer really shoot over 50 on the front nine. he could probably have used a 5 iron and a putter and scored better.

May 27, 2018, 4:46 PM

Good grief is right. You’re unreasonable and calling for a coaches head essentially. Shut up, you’re embarrassing yourself.

May 27, 2018, 3:24 PM

Legends stay until they decide to go. Clemson hasn’t always had the facilities. Golf is the hardest championship imo to win out of all the team sports. You got the best golfers around the world coming to play golf in America. How ok st dominates is beyond me... the mike z of golf.

I digress. Mr Penley will know when to step aside. He really got snakebit this year though. Had three studs on top of their game. And remember, Doc didn’t play in the ACC Tournament this year. I think we win it going away if he had.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2018, 3:28 PM

Doc did play in the ACC tourney this year. He finished second. Next excuse

May 27, 2018, 3:57 PM

How is your golf team doing DA ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2018, 5:33 PM

Larry is an outstanding coach, as well as Jordan Byrd. Golf is a difficult team sport as you need four out of five players clicking at the same time. Duke shot 23 strokes better than us today, but tomorrow is another day and I'll bet they do not do anything like that. Georgia Tech was the #4 rated team in the country and they did not make it to the championships. LPO's teams have been consistently good and always competitive. He and the team has gotten us to the third round, so we are in a position to make it to match play. That is all we can ask for right now.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't leave out that he can...

May 27, 2018, 6:08 PM

play too as he has two South Carolina Amateur Titles to his name...1988 Larry Penley (287) Kiawah Island
1987 Larry Penley (277) The Dunes Club

Re: Don't leave out that he can...

May 27, 2018, 6:35 PM

+1 throwing that one in there!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2018, 6:42 PM

My apologies. I stand corrected on the acc championship.

May 27, 2018, 7:08 PM

Are you serious. We were nationally ranked 14th in the country and are presently 12th after 3 rounds in the NCAA Championship. Oh yeah, one of our 5 players had his clubs stolen last week and is playing with sticks that are new to him. Give me a break.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2018, 11:34 PM

How about the last 9 years:

This is the first time Clemson has reached the final 15 with a chance to go into the eight-team match play since the format was adopted in 2009. “I am very proud of our guys today,” said Penley, who is in his 35th year at Clemson and has taken 28 teams to the NCAA National Tournament.

That's pretty incredible considering the talent that has been at Clemson.

May 28, 2018, 9:07 AM

You of course are assuming that other teams do not have talent. Almost all major colleges in the south, and southwest, and a few on the north attract excellent players. The SEC, ACC, Big 12 comprise about 3/4ths of the final 15 teams and many of those teams are capable of winning on a given week. Coaching college golf is much more than a coach knowing X's and O's, as there are some college coaches of top 10 teams who hardly play golf and know practically nothing about playing the game itself. One that comes to mind is Jesse Haddock, the famous Wake Forest coach. When he first became coach at Wake, a friend of mine's mother gave him some lessons just so he would have some idea how to hit a golf ball.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2018, 9:43 AM

good old fbcoot. you never fail to amaze with your brilliance. fill us in on the last good thing you have said about clemson. the sky must always be gray and your glass always half empty. you are a really sad guy. the mens athletic programs at clemson have never been at the level they are today and anyone with a pea for a brain can see it. how could anyone not be almost giddy with what clemson is putting on the athletic field today.

May 28, 2018, 6:40 PM

I guess I should be happy with the golf team making the tourney every year. No reason to want/expect them to actually compete for a NC...let's just make the tourney. Maybe we should have been happy with Jack Leggett making the NCAA tourney almost every year. Or Tommy Bowden making it to a bowl game almost every year. I guess it's a flaw in me to expect a little more than being one of the top 30 teams each year, but not competing for a NC for the past ten plus years. Yes, I guess my sky is a little gray, but at least I actually see the outside, rather than the computer screen and your parents basement 24/7.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic