Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kirby VS Richt
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Kirby VS Richt

May 8, 2019, 7:45 AM

Haha

https://twitter.com/finebaum/status/1125506379127697408?s=21

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But this time is different.

May 8, 2019, 7:46 AM

#lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

it's totally different! nobody getting arrested

May 8, 2019, 8:58 AM

#1 recruiting classes instead of #4 classes. No more bone headed coaching decisions and lackluster offenses! Star QBs aren't transferring out anymore..

Feels like deja vu, feels weird man

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: it's totally different! nobody getting arrested

May 8, 2019, 10:22 AM

I feel like in between the “deja vu” and “feels weird man”, there was a bong hit.

Funny, Muschamp apologist are doing the same comparisons

May 8, 2019, 7:48 AM

after 3 years vs SOS. But lets be honest: Kirby will be a way better coach than Mark Richt, and Muschamp is no Spurrier

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

How is Kirby a "way better" coach than Richt?

May 8, 2019, 7:57 AM

I have only seen Kirby make horrendous decisions in big games and every one of them backfired.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: How is Kirby a "way better" coach than Richt?

May 8, 2019, 8:37 AM

True enough, but Richt had no excuse for not being more relevant, either. MR had as many resources as anybody ever had, but he just couldn't get to the mountain top. In fact I think he did less with more than anybody else I can think of. Everything at his fingertips, but no big prize. Maybe Kirby won't either, but time will tell.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with that

May 8, 2019, 8:49 AM

Although I will say the SEC in general and the SEC East was better top to bottom during Richt's tenure, especially the first half of it, which the comparison above is looking at the first 3 seasons.

I'm not saying Richt didn't underachieve...he clearly did. But saying Kirby is a way better coach at this point seems absurd.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: How is Kirby a "way better" coach than Richt?

May 8, 2019, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: How is Kirby a "way better" coach than Richt? ]

I'd say Richt got completely screwed in 2007 though. Georgia was clearly the best football team in the country that year. They were ranked like #4 and were on a long winning streak since losing twice at the beginning of the season. #2 and #3 lost, and they brought LSU from #8 to #2 (despite them just losing their second game), and dropped UGA to #7 or so, because they said the national title contender had to win their conference (of course, they ignored that later). So UGA had to butcher what was a decent Hawaii team instead. The two best teams that season were UGA and USC, and we had to watch a mediocre LSU beat an even more mediocre Ohio State.

So I'd say sometimes it's out of your hands. There's also the fact that Richt was a genuinely good person who was a devout Christian and a good mentor to his players. That counts for something too, and it's something I don't think we can say of Kirby.

they think this because he worked for Saban

May 8, 2019, 9:03 AM [ in reply to How is Kirby a "way better" coach than Richt? ]

Hes a good coach. Dawg fans name one Saban disciple that has beaten Saban and won it.. I'll wait.

Mark Richt coached under Bobby Bowden. He was never as good of a head coach as Bobby.

Same old BS from the dwags. They should have hired Jimbo Fisher. he wouldn't have taken his foot off the gas in the 2nd half of the natty vs Bama.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely agree about Jimbo

May 8, 2019, 9:34 AM

And he would've beaten Bama in the SECCG last year. Kirby had them dead to rights twice and couldn't get it done.

Re: Kirby VS Richt

May 8, 2019, 7:54 AM

Richt was a good coach and really the QB "genius" behind Bobby Bowden's championship runs. He just made the unfortunate mistake about taking the Georgia job. I still like the guy.

Richt is 32-8 (.800)
Smart is 32-10 (.762)

Richt is actually better. He also beat both Alabama and Saban.

They're the same guy

That's what I've been saying all along!

New coach, same results.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2019, 8:09 AM

etigeratl said:

Stats are stats and hard to argue ... lots more behind the wins/loses/titles ...

For example Dabo was into his 5th season prior to accumulating as many wins as either of these two men. Look where he is now!

May 8, 2019, 8:51 AM

Great point. I think Bowden and Dabo's first three seasons were pretty close in terms of W's and L's.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2019, 8:30 AM

Kirby is recruiting at a different level. He will likely get a national title or at worst play in a few.

I don't know - the guy just screams slime

May 8, 2019, 8:36 AM

He seems about as genuine as a football championship at UofSC.

Re: I don't know - the guy just screams slime

May 8, 2019, 8:40 AM

True. As I typed that last response I was thinking that he may get fired for NCAA violations first.

May 8, 2019, 8:46 AM

Please explain

Carlsbad® said:

True. As I typed that last response I was thinking that he may get fired for NCAA violations first.

May 8, 2019, 8:55 AM

Just seems shady and full of it. Nothing more than that.

May 8, 2019, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't know - the guy just screams slime ]

Don't hold your breath waiting for any "proof." The sleuths here don't have any. They all just "know."

May 8, 2019, 9:07 AM

He may be clean as can be. He comes across shady.

Likely he hasn't committed any major violations

May 8, 2019, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't know - the guy just screams slime ]

It's pretty understandable why a kid would want to come play for UGA. They "appear" to be building something (there's a giant elephant in the room though, isn't there?). I can especially understand kids from Georgia wanting to play there. It's the ONLY brand in the state. Athens is a really cool town. It's not like when all of a sudden Ole Miss was pulling in 3 5* recruits a season...that didn't add up. UGA has always recruited well, so the recent success shouldn't be a surprise.

That being said, Kirby does come off as arrogant and slimy. It's just perception. Guess what? We don't have to like your coach. Also guess what? Clemson beat Alabama (again) for the National Championship this year. That sucks, doesn't it?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you one of those naive fans who thinks football and

May 8, 2019, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't know - the guy just screams slime ]

basketball athletes at their school aren't getting paid?

Re: Are you one of those naive fans who thinks football and

May 8, 2019, 10:04 AM

Are you one of those naïve fans who think every school pays players except yours? If you want to claim that signing big time players is a result of cheating, then it applies to all schools, yeah?

Do you have difficulty reading?

May 8, 2019, 10:14 AM

Because if you didn't have difficulty reading you wouldn't be asking me that question.

I think every major football and basketball program has players getting benefits that are deemed illegal by the NCAA. Including yours, and including ours. Every. Major. Program.

So how bout this, next time you log onto the tnets try to not be such a moran.

Re: Do you have difficulty reading?

May 8, 2019, 10:49 AM

I got it. Now the next time people here are railing about how Smart is a cheat I 'm glad I can count on you to set them straight. All schools - even Clemson - are cheating.

No. That's not what I said either.

May 8, 2019, 12:50 PM

why does he sound like he's holding in smoke when he talks?***

May 8, 2019, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't know - the guy just screams slime ]

May 8, 2019, 8:40 AM

Richt's problem was Alabama hire Saban in 2007. No more conference championships for Georgia

May 8, 2019, 10:58 AM

Actually, Richt's problem was Urban Meyer. Not beating Florida hurt him more than anything. He was 2-8 in the first 10 meetings (during Richt best years) and was 5-10 against UF as a Georgia coach.

Richt did win the SEC while Saban was coaching in the SEC (although at LSU). Funniest thing was that when Richt won his first SEC championship, Saban was at LSU and Jimbo and Muscoot were the Coordinators. Lost to him in the SEC CG the next season... but Richt was 2-4 against Saban and I think 3-2 against Alabama.

Only one of them

May 8, 2019, 8:53 AM

is a good Christian man though...

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2019, 8:58 AM

Richt was a very good coach. He kept UGA competitive for pretty much his entire 15 years. Not everybody is a national championship coach. Doesn't mean they're not outstanding at what they do. He endured Miles' best years, then Meyer's, and then Saban. Not unlike Clemson during Spurrier's best years in Cola.

Kirby Smart can clearly take an already very good program and elevate it in the short run. But lots of coaches have done that and then flamed out. We'll see about that for Smart over the next 2 or 3 years. Can he sustain it? Jury's out. I tend to think that he will, though.

Well we know how this story is going to end.***

May 8, 2019, 9:00 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kirby to Miami?***

May 8, 2019, 11:30 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Biggest difference is Kirbying has no morale compass - at

May 8, 2019, 10:07 AM

least Richt did it in a way that didn't include absolute gutter wallowing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic