Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
King Tailgater questions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

King Tailgater questions

Aug 3, 2017, 4:35 PM

I purchased a King Tailgater for tailgate this season, but ended up with a parking pass in the corner of lot 1 closest to the stadium (covered by trees especially to the south).

So in order to use it, I'll have to run a cable to a location where I can get a clear view of the southern sky. Does anyone have experience with this?

My main question is: How far can I run a cable wire without drastically affecting the quality/capabilities of the system? Does it help to get RG11 rather than RG6 coaxial cable?

Keep in mind that the cable also powers the tailgater satellite off the receiver, so it's carrying signal and power. Just curious if it will go 100', 250', 600'? I have no idea...

Also, if anyone has parked in that corner of Lot 1 before with a dish, and has any suggestions of where I might be able to get a direct line of sight to the satellite in the sky. Or if anyone has an app suggestion that can pinpoint satellites consistently, that would be helpful as well.

Any King Tailgater info that you may have would be much appreciated!

TLDR - Any satellite tips particularly in lot 1, and what is the max coax cable length you've used with a tailgater?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get it as high off the ground as you can.

Aug 3, 2017, 5:21 PM

I've had a King Tailgater for the last two seasons. Last season we moved to East Library which has trees, but not as dense as Lot 1. Conditions seemed to change each game and the less leaves, the easier it was to set up. The longest coax run that we did was about 50ft with no problem, but you shouldn't have any trouble going longer. The cord in the box was about 30ft I think. Some coax runs in a house can go into the hundreds of feet, so I wouldn't worry too much about signal degradation. Powering the dish will be all or nothing, but you could go miles and still have adequate power. Try bringing a tripod to plug into the bottom of the tailgater then put it on the roof of your car. Or better yet, find the most jacked up truck in the lot and ask if you can put it on top. I carry a spool of RG6 and some terminating tools to rig up a longer run if necessary.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Get it as high off the ground as you can.

Aug 4, 2017, 9:47 AM

Very good info, thank you!

If I understood you correctly, you can sometimes shoot directly through trees once the leaves are gone?
Where I'm at, I would have to go up probably at least 40 feet to get an angle over the trees, but I have a buddy 15 spots down the row from me that I would be able to put it on top of his SUV and it should be fine. I'm just trying to figure out if it will still work 200-300' away before I spend a bunch of money on coax cable and whatnot.

I do like the idea of just getting a large spool and rigging it once I get there so that I'm not limiting myself to a set length, but I was hoping to just buy a set length that is sufficient so that I don't spend half of the first tailgate setting it up.

Also, for setup, you can just point it in the general southern direction and you don't have trouble with it finding the satellite? I'm curious how finicky it is about having to be pointed at the satellite and being perfectly level.

I plan to test the whole setup that I decide on a few weeks before the first game to learn how it all works, but I need to make sure what I'm thinking is even possible before I bother.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Get it as high off the ground as you can.

Aug 8, 2017, 11:41 AM

Correct. Often times you can go through trees and still get signal. The instructions recommend getting the handle pointed north to orient the tailgater close to where it needs to be, but we have accidentally set it up "handle south" and still found the satellites. We have also failed to find the satellites with the handle oriented correctly on occasion. It's trial and error. Dish does need to be close to level. That is non negotiable.

I still wouldn't be concerned about going farther than 50ft with the coax, but 300 ft may be pushing it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: King Tailgater questions

Aug 3, 2017, 10:07 PM

Stay within 50 feet. Any longer you will lose or not get any signal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2017, 9:36 AM

Do you know this from personal experience with the tailgater, or is that just based on what Dish tells you? The cable that they send you with the tailgater is 50' and they advise you not to go longer than that.

That said, I'm sure people have done it with higher quality coax cables and even potentially amplifiers if necessary

Aug 3, 2017, 10:20 PM

This was 1st year MCSE Study material.
RG-58 (Typical CoAx) can go 185 meters (606') before the wave length starts to flatten out, aka attenuation becomes an issue.
RG-11 is even more robust (EMI wise) and will see less loss than RG-58.
You will not see a signal degradation at 200'.
Do you know what the signal frequency is?

Check out this chart for more info:
http://www.w4rp.com/ref/coax.html

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2017, 9:34 AM

Thanks for the response. That chart is a little over my head. I'm not entirely sure how to read it, and how many dB's I can actually lose before it will start causing issues.

It looks like Dish Network frequency is around 12.2 GHz according to this? https://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedias/what-s-the-frequency

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic