Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Vehicle Brakes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 509

Vehicle Brakes

Jan 27, 2021, 12:37 PM

Gentlemen and Ladies of the Jounge, do you just set a reminder to change your brake pads every 40k miles or something? I have not done this and just started hearing some noise when braking in my truck. But the noise went from non-existent to what could only be described as two metal objects r8ping each other. I took it to the local shop and he says I need all 4 rotors and brake pads. He said they were REAL bad on the back.

I got this truck from Dad and have put 25k miles on it and have no idea if he had the brakes serviced prior to that...anyways, thanks for listening. I'll hang up and take the ridicule offline.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't have squealer tabs?***

Jan 27, 2021, 12:37 PM

Also you can't change them yourselves?

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Nah, she doesn't squeal.***

Jan 27, 2021, 12:39 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably because you done beat the brakes off***

Jan 27, 2021, 12:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, I've done pads on the 4Runner, but this is technically

Jan 27, 2021, 12:40 PM [ in reply to You don't have squealer tabs?*** ]

still my Mom's truck so I gotta take care of it and she wanted me to take it in. She wanted me to take it to the dealership but I cannot imagine how pricey that would have been.

You can replace all 4 pads, rotors, and calipers

Jan 27, 2021, 12:44 PM

for $500 if you do it yourself.

I'd hate to know what they quoted you.

Nice. I got a deal then. $480 all in.***

Jan 27, 2021, 12:45 PM

No Calipers though***

Jan 27, 2021, 12:52 PM

John Calipers is having a tough season up in Kentucky.

Jan 27, 2021, 12:55 PM

In case that helps in any way.

Because helping is what I do.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The one and dones are taking their toll on him. He needs

Jan 27, 2021, 12:56 PM

to put the brakes on this and pad his team with career player of NBA caliper.

I'm not sure he'll STOP.

Jan 27, 2021, 12:58 PM

Even when the fans are squealing about it.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He usually coasts through the SEC but this year they may

Jan 27, 2021, 12:59 PM

crash and burn before the tourney.

I think I've had one caliper replaced ever in my life.***

Jan 27, 2021, 12:56 PM [ in reply to No Calipers though*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm at zero

Jan 27, 2021, 12:58 PM

Having said that, I am certain that all 4 will now go bad within the next month.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

At ~$150 ea for calipers, I doubt that.

Jan 27, 2021, 12:51 PM [ in reply to You can replace all 4 pads, rotors, and calipers ]

Protip: Buy NAPA calipers; there are warranted for life. 03-09 4runners, FJ cruisers, some Tacomas and Tundras (depends on the year) have a design flaw in the caliper that causes them to hold water, and subsequently lock up the piston in the caliper. Some last 20K miles, others last 50k. They will all lock up. My '08 4runner has 103K miles on it, and I just put the 3rd set of new calipers on it 3 weeks ago. I heard of the issue, and the NAPA warranty, while researching the locked up calipers at about 70K miles. The dealer had previously replaced them at about 30-40K miles.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why replace the calipers?

Jan 27, 2021, 12:52 PM [ in reply to You can replace all 4 pads, rotors, and calipers ]

Pads and rotors should get it done

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some of them are mainetance items

Jan 27, 2021, 12:56 PM

Like I described on the Toyotas.

I just get my guy to replace them when they need

Jan 27, 2021, 12:38 PM

to be replaced.

Does that help?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

100%***

Jan 27, 2021, 12:39 PM

They’re called indicators for a reason.

Jan 27, 2021, 12:40 PM

The screaming means, change me. The grinding means, this relationship is through. The scary part is when the grinding goes away and you learn to start hitting your brakes three full city blocks before the stop sign. Accident... here we come!

Never heard a squeal with this truck. Hence the reason they

Jan 27, 2021, 12:42 PM

were not replaced yet. Is that something in all pads or do I need specific ones that are squealers?

Most have wear indicators built in

All pads I’ve installed have the metal tab indicators.

Jan 27, 2021, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Never heard a squeal with this truck. Hence the reason they ]

But some pads can be installed backwards and some indicators can be ignored until worn down to the pad.

they all have them. Sometimes they don't make contact to

Jan 27, 2021, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Never heard a squeal with this truck. Hence the reason they ]

squeal, but probably not all 4 on your truck.

Also, if the truck is a keeper, take it to your regular guy and buy lifetime pads. At least next time you'll save on the cost of the pads.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not all of them do.

Jan 27, 2021, 1:01 PM

none of the Toyota's I have worked on do, not at least in the sense you are talking about. They have raised tabs on the pad backing plates, but if you are able to wear the pads that far, they will ruin the rotors.

Went to Charleston one time. Hit the brakes on the way out

Jan 27, 2021, 12:42 PM [ in reply to They’re called indicators for a reason. ]

of the driveway and hear something that I can only describe as upside down car sliding down the highway

Asked wife ### since it was her car.

"Oh yeah it's been doing that for 2 weeks. Forgot to tell you"

No pad. Just metal when I took it off.

tabs break pretty easily, especially if older***

Jan 27, 2021, 12:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they look like this, they are bad

Jan 27, 2021, 12:43 PM

Even me, who is admittedly green with cars, knows that

is not good.

Still stops***

Jan 27, 2021, 12:45 PM [ in reply to If they look like this, they are bad ]

I keep a notebook in the glove compartment where I log each

Jan 27, 2021, 12:47 PM

time I get gas, along with # gallons, cost (total and per gallon), odometer reading, and location of gas station. While gas is pumping I calculate and average gas mileage from previous fillups.

I also record all maintenance in here.

Oh wait, no that was dad. I just ride til them mofos squall, then fix em up.

I don't do a ton of car maintenance myself; I'll still drop

Jan 27, 2021, 12:48 PM

vehicles off for oil changes because I don't feel like fuggin' with it, not because it's hard. But I'll change brake pads all day because of the markup on that crap. Firestone will try to charge $300 for new pads (and I think that was just for front OR rear, not both), and you can buy the pads for $20-25. Generally not more than an hour's worth of work, tops, for both wheels, especially after you've done it the first time/first wheel, and know where everything is/goes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kind of like cutting grass, I've graduated from it.

Jan 27, 2021, 12:54 PM

I can balance and blueprint the engine in the thing if I wanted to, but I'd rather just pay someone to do that stuff these days while I sit my lazy fat ### on the couch.

I took our 4runner to get new brakes and calipers a few weeks ago and got the bill and thought "I could have done it for 1/3 of the price...but then I would have had to do it."

That reminds me

Jan 27, 2021, 12:57 PM

I bought new pads and rotors for the Pilot over 6 months ago. Guess I need to go ahead and do that work.

My truck went 70K for the front and 100K for the

Jan 27, 2021, 1:03 PM

backs IIRC.

I have experienced what you are experiencing. I was in Florence seeing a fran and I got bent over by the local Midas cuz I needed them immediately.

Do not go to a major retailer if you can avoid it.

Also, if you think it is near time to change them (>50K), ask them when they rotate the tires what they look like.

Nah, this local guy is good and takes good care other

Jan 27, 2021, 1:14 PM

than keeping it in his shop too long cause he is going to get to it soon. I took it Monday afternoon, he is replacing them now.

Always pay attention to squeaks and squeals

Jan 27, 2021, 1:35 PM

Assuming you have disc brakes, there's no excuse to ever have to grind or replace rotors. The pads have a metal piece that's designed to squeal when you brake when the pads wear down. THAT is the time to change them. Also, sometimes the thing just doesn't squeal. So occasionally look at the rotors for lines where there's grinding. Slightest hint, change the pads.

Another way to tell pads are going bad is if you feel a shimmy when braking, especially from high speed, like an interstate exit ramp. That is also a good time to get replaced.

Visual inspection, squeals, and shimmying when braking at high speed....the three things to monitor to avoid that expense. Pads are cheap, rotors.....notsomuch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

when my tire place rotates my tires

Jan 27, 2021, 2:32 PM

and changes the oil, they check the brakes for me and will tell me if something is up

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: Vehicle Brakes

Jan 27, 2021, 7:33 PM

I'm so great at doing brakes that people who never met me know how proficient I am at doing them. I know this by the way they pull in front of me with almost no room. My other theory is that my lap is so sexy that they want to sit on it while we're driving down the road.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 38
| visibility 509
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic