Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Howdy Tigers!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

Howdy Tigers!

Aug 1, 2019, 4:51 PM

Obvious Aggie here, and as some of you probably are, I am looking forward to the start of CFB after what felt like an exceptionally long off season. I'm especially excited abut our Week 2 match up. My wife and I will be traveling to Clemson for the first time ever to enjoy the experience of attending a game at Death Valley. By all accounts I've heard, Clemson fans were amazingly cordial and respectful in College Station last year as well as at the series that took place years ago, and I'm hoping to experience it first hand in September (with hopefully a different outcome in the game result of course). The only negative views I've heard originated from your chicken brethren, so I'm highly optimistic that we will have a great time.
I'm creating this thread to post our itinerary in the hopes of getting further insight to make our trip experience as fun as possible. So far I've put it together using what I could find in general online, but I'm always appreciative of local knowledge when traveling to new places.

I have everything booked except for the most important item - game day tickets. We're looking for seats in the lower bowl section, and from what I see online the K section is closest to the Hill on the visitor side. Is this a good spot? We'd like to have a good view of the player's entrance down the Hill as well as the game.

Aside from that, we fly into Charlotte Thursday morning, and will make the drive into Greenville. Along the way, we’ll probably stop in Gastonia for Tony’s Ice cream, as well as find some BBQ (of course I’m partial to Texas que, but when in Rome..) From there we’ll head into Greenville, check into our room, and explore the town. Dinner will be dependent on the wife’s mood, but I’m thinking on this night we’ll try Giovanni’s which looks like good home cooked Italian.

Friday we’ll probably head to Biscuit Head or Maple Biscuit Company for breakfast (I’m also looking at Stella’s or Tupelo Honey, but I’m not sure which one we should save for Sunday brunch). After that I’m hoping to get a good round of golf in. I’ve been eyeing the Chanticleer course at GCC, but I’m not sure if my club can get me on yet – I’m open to any course suggestions in the area. After which, we’ll probably grab dinner at Sassafras or Bacon Bros, before checking out a few of the breweries. Following that, it will probably be time for midnight yell practice (location in Greenville TBD)

Game Day we’ll grab breakfast as early as possible and make the hour long drive or so to Clemson. I’m hoping to explore the campus a bit and see sites such as the Scroll of Honor, etc prior to enjoying the pregame festivities. If there are any other historical or “must see” features of the campus please let me know. After that, I’ve been told that Esso is your version of our Dixie Chicken and is a good place to pre-game. Once again, I’m open to other suggestions as well. The only thing I’m not certain on yet is the parking situation. When I’ve checked parking passes on Stubhub they’re all in the 100’s, and I was thinking there should be some better options somewhere in the vicinity. Of course, we’d like to be in our seats enough time prior to kick off to see the “most exciting 25 seconds in college football.”

Hopefully following an Aggie victory, we’re thinking of finding a local spot in Clemson to watch the other tigers take on the steers from that school in Austin. Im thinking that the traffic might be pretty tight leaving, so it would probably be best to spend that time in the area before making the drive back to Greenville. Might be pretty late by then, so I’m not sure on dinner options – whatever we find in the Clemson area will probably have to do.

Sunday we’ll grab brunch at one of the previously mentioned spots before heading back to Charlotte. We’re spending one night in Charlotte before heading back to Texas, so we’ll figure out something to do in that area.

Sorry for the length, but I like to outline everything so that I can get input and maximize our time experiencing the local area. Once again, any and all suggestions are appreciated. Looking forward to a great trip and an exciting game!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Howdy Tigers!

Aug 1, 2019, 5:01 PM

I think A&M will be an exceedingly tough game for us, especially since we seem to start slowly. This time it's against a top 20 or top ten team (most likely). We'd better come to play, even if the game is in Death Valley. This one has me somewhat worried.

Aug 1, 2019, 5:50 PM

We? Don’t you guys play Bama that weekend?

Aug 1, 2019, 7:02 PM

No doubt a Gamecock post. They'll be disappointed, as usual.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome! I enjoyed talking with many Aggies the last time

Aug 1, 2019, 5:07 PM

y'all played in Clemson. It sounds like you have a pretty good plan for your trip.

There will be plenty of tailgates around campus and you'll probably be offered plenty of food and beverages while walking around...

Plan to tailgate after the game too so you'll avoid the traffic going back to Greenville.

We look forward to the game, and hopefully it won't be another nail biter!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aggie Sir..Welcome and know

Aug 1, 2019, 5:32 PM

I use to be a member of the G'ville C Club and the Chanticlear course is an excellent choice (was ranked #100 way back in 1988)..

and for parking at $20-$50, think about coming into Clemson on the US 123 Bypass side from G'ville, take a left onto College/Main St section which is about 4-5 blocks from downtown, look for a Neighborhood St on your left where you'll find a spot in a yard OR chance going up another block or so and find a church..but beware of few to no sites if you get there 2-3 hrs b/4 game.

FYI I park free behind the C&S? Bank next to Post Office on the right, just after you've turned left off the 123 Hwy & onto College St.

Oh, please allow up to 2 hrs from G'ville since its 45-60 minutes on a normal day and bring & place some Aggie colored pep stuff on your rental car since most will be showered with Orange stuff & Tiger Tails and you will be noticed & kept alert.

And lastly, forget eating so nicely Sat morn and get your fine self over to Clemson early and chow down at about any tailgate just by being a welcomed & esteemed visiting Fan from such a distinguished Univ.

C U @ Death Valley #1 and hope that award winning band comes!

PS: the game won't be over until near mid-night, the walk to your car will take 30+ minutes, the traffic jam may take another hour to move and then the thousands of cars headed to G'ville will cause more time..but parking on that 123 Bypass side of Clemson & away from stadium parking lots will facilitate your getting out a bit quicker than the jammed-up traffic on the I-85 side of Tigertown..thus you will hit your hotel room's soft pillow around 3AM if you're lucky.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Aggie Sir..Welcome and know

Aug 1, 2019, 7:22 PM

Uhhh...lbb. The game starts at 3:30. Doubt it lasts til midnight.

in light bulb bill’s mind

Aug 1, 2019, 8:33 PM

They start when he wants and end the same

He could hit pause at 5, wake up at 11, watch the finish and bingo. Night game until midnight

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tony's Ice cream.

Aug 1, 2019, 5:25 PM

It's an old building in not the greatest part of Gastonia, but it is legendary for it's Ice cream. I have to admit that the last time I had Tony's it wasn't nearly as good as I remembered it.

Hope you enjoy the trip though not the game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Aug 1, 2019, 5:44 PM

Welcome to TigerNet! You will find the tailgating experience second to none. We love inviting guests into our tailgates to share food, spirits and some good football conversation. Never take the word of anyone that is a fan from Scar. They are belligerent, delusional, rude, nasty, grandiose and so much more. Take the nastiest fan base you have experienced and double it. No doubt you are going to get some great tips for everything you are looking for. There is/has been a lot of construction around campus and parking is at a premium. There are shuttle buses that will bring you in, but that limits tailgating near the stadium. Wish you safe travels, hope your enjoy our beautiful campus and Tiger Fans. #Allin

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Aug 2, 2019, 7:48 AM

Like jeancooper said, the coot fans are by way far the nastiest fan base in all of college FB. They have been rated as the #1 fan base being ejected from their stadium, and knowing that, it don't even come close to telling the real story about that inbred bunch in Cootlumbia, the home of the vulgarest fan base to ever attend a college FB, and that is the truth, nothing but the truth so help me God!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2019, 5:49 PM

Looks like a solid itinerary. Staying in Greenville vs Clemson is the right call. Gianna's is excellent, but does have a bit of a limited menu that changes frequently, which is the only negative I give it. I've never had anything I didn't like, but the first time I went they had the best chicken parm ive ever had, and it hasn't been back on the menu my other times going

Halls Steak house is also a really good spot, Up on the Roof is a cool spot to grab a drink, as the name suggest its a roof top and has some good views of the city.

I'd go Maple Biscuit or Tupelo honey both are good and depending where you're staying can most likely walk

The public golf scene in the upstate is pretty average at best, so trying to get your club on a private course is the way to go. I'd rank them 1) GCC Chanticleer, 2) Thornblade Club, 3) GCC RIverside (awesome new club house), 4A) Green Valley 4B) Holly Tree.

Traffic in and out of Clemson is absolutely terrible. Can easily take you 2+ hours if you leave at the wrong time heading to the game or coming back. Clemson is the definition of a college town, nothing but 2 lane roads in and out, which is typically fine, until you have 100,000 people trying to get there. So plan on leaving early,I'll be leaving down town greenville by 8 am, and you're already planning on staying post game which is the right call.

Parking depends what you're looking for. If you're looking to actually tailgate and be in the heart of things you're going to spend some money. Early season, probably our biggest home game since FSU is terrible, demand is going to be high for this one, not to mention we have some on campus construction going on so some parking has been lost.

Your cheapest option which isnt ridiculously far away will be to come into town on HWY 123 and turn down college ave. People will be selling parking all the way down the street in random businesses/ houses. I'd guess $50ish. College Ave is also where most of the bars are which is where you'd probably end up to watch LSU game. These most likely will go pretty quick though so another reason to get to town early.

Esso is a must for any first timer in Clemson, I'd suggest just walking the lots around the stadium, been to a lot of away games and obviously i'm biased but Clemson tailgating scene is second to none. Tiger walk is also a cool thing to see. Lot 5 a couple hours prior to kick off.

Aug 1, 2019, 5:49 PM

Obvious Aggie here, and as some of you probably are, I am looking forward to the start of CFB after what felt like an exceptionally long off season. I'm especially excited abut our Week 2 match up. My wife and I will be traveling to Clemson for the first time ever to enjoy the experience of attending a game at Death Valley. By all accounts I've heard, Clemson fans were amazingly cordial and respectful in College Station last year as well as at the series that took place years ago, and I'm hoping to experience it first hand in September (with hopefully a different outcome in the game result of course). The only negative views I've heard originated from your chicken brethren, so I'm highly optimistic that we will have a great time.
I'm creating this thread to post our itinerary in the hopes of getting further insight to make our trip experience as fun as possible. So far I've put it together using what I could find in general online, but I'm always appreciative of local knowledge when traveling to new places.

I have everything booked except for the most important item - game day tickets. We're looking for seats in the lower bowl section, and from what I see online the K section is closest to the Hill on the visitor side. Is this a good spot? We'd like to have a good view of the player's entrance down the Hill as well as the game.

Aside from that, we fly into Charlotte Thursday morning, and will make the drive into Greenville. Along the way, we’ll probably stop in Gastonia for Tony’s Ice cream, as well as find some BBQ (of course I’m partial to Texas que, but when in Rome..) From there we’ll head into Greenville, check into our room, and explore the town. Dinner will be dependent on the wife’s mood, but I’m thinking on this night we’ll try Giovanni’s which looks like good home cooked Italian.

Friday we’ll probably head to Biscuit Head or Maple Biscuit Company for breakfast (I’m also looking at Stella’s or Tupelo Honey, but I’m not sure which one we should save for Sunday brunch). After that I’m hoping to get a good round of golf in. I’ve been eyeing the Chanticleer course at GCC, but I’m not sure if my club can get me on yet – I’m open to any course suggestions in the area. After which, we’ll probably grab dinner at Sassafras or Bacon Bros, before checking out a few of the breweries. Following that, it will probably be time for midnight yell practice (location in Greenville TBD)

Game Day we’ll grab breakfast as early as possible and make the hour long drive or so to Clemson. I’m hoping to explore the campus a bit and see sites such as the Scroll of Honor, etc prior to enjoying the pregame festivities. If there are any other historical or “must see” features of the campus please let me know. After that, I’ve been told that Esso is your version of our Dixie Chicken and is a good place to pre-game. Once again, I’m open to other suggestions as well. The only thing I’m not certain on yet is the parking situation. When I’ve checked parking passes on Stubhub they’re all in the 100’s, and I was thinking there should be some better options somewhere in the vicinity. Of course, we’d like to be in our seats enough time prior to kick off to see the “most exciting 25 seconds in college football.”

Hopefully following an Aggie victory, we’re thinking of finding a local spot in Clemson to watch the other tigers take on the steers from that school in Austin. Im thinking that the traffic might be pretty tight leaving, so it would probably be best to spend that time in the area before making the drive back to Greenville. Might be pretty late by then, so I’m not sure on dinner options – whatever we find in the Clemson area will probably have to do.

Sunday we’ll grab brunch at one of the previously mentioned spots before heading back to Charlotte. We’re spending one night in Charlotte before heading back to Texas, so we’ll figure out something to do in that area.

Sorry for the length, but I like to outline everything so that I can get input and maximize our time experiencing the local area. Once again, any and all suggestions are appreciated. Looking forward to a great trip and an exciting game!

Smokin pig is some of the best BBQ we have around here. It’s only open Thurs-Sat. So plan around that. Also, it will likely be very humid here so bring a sham wow towel, ice cold beer and....well hell anything else you can get your hands on to cool you off! Welcome to Death Valley!

Was in Houston and the south Texas Gulf Coast

Aug 1, 2019, 6:03 PM

area last month visiting relatives, half of whom are Aggie alumni and fans; the others, Longhorns.

A cousin's daughter, an Aggie alumna, married a Baylor alum, but during the wedding (held at Beneath the Oaks near Midfield) the Aggies performed their cheers, etc. When they announced there were Clemson folks present, my table was swamped with those good folks wanting to talk football. Several indicated they were flying to the game.

It'll be a great match up...one that I hope won't be as close as last year's and, again hopefully, a Clemson win. You'll enjoy the trip and visit. Quite a unique campus and environs. Safe travels!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2019, 6:04 PM

If you like craft beer hit up Greenville Beer Exchange, down the street of Tupelo Honey

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2019, 6:16 PM

I think that you should go over to the Campus on Friday and look around campus at that time. If you check into it, there may be a guided tour around Campus. If you have a handicap placard, bring it with you and park behind Sikes Hall. Whatever you do, do not forget to stop by Station 55 at Hendricks Hall.
The only part of the old campus may not be torn down yet(Johnstone A and the Loggia). The older buildings are Tilman Hall, Godfrey Hall, the history building by Brackett Hall, and the Frat Dorms.
alas, progress leaves only memories to the old and departing.
Someone should meet up with them on Friday and go with them around Campus. Show them some real Clemson hospitality. I heard that there folks were very gracious last year. Quite unlike the Coots or the Oolgies. I hope you have a great trip and a safe ride in both directions. ENJOY THE GAME!

K is a great section Aggie but UK is much better for a view

Aug 1, 2019, 6:23 PM

of the greatest entrance in all of college football. GO TIGERS!

Aug 1, 2019, 7:28 PM

Welcome Aggie!

I have been to Kyle Field both times my Tigers have played there. Really, really enjoyed my experiences both time. Best visiting fan experience I've ever had. The stadium improvements are very impressive.

If you like history, consider taking a tour of the home of Thomas Green and Anna Maria Calhoun Clemson (Fort Hill - also home to Anna's father John C. Calhoun) in the center of campus.

If you like marching bands, the Clemson Tiger Band will perform a 30-minute concert in the amphitheatre in front of the Cooper Library reflection pond at 2 PM (90 minutes before kickoff). You can follow the band down Fort Hill Street to the stadium after the concert.

I really enjoyed the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band in College Station. I hope you guys bring the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band to Death Valley!

Have a great visit to Tiger Town.

Aug 2, 2019, 9:38 AM

I’m partial to Tiger Band and the 90min-before-kickoff concert but I think it’s a fair warning that it’ll be a trade-off between that and some other activities. Esso club and touring the tailgates can occupy a massive amount of time so making it back to the center of campus by 2pm will require a concerted effort. Personally, I do the Tiger Band show and get in the stadium a little early.

If Esso is a must-have target (it’s not in my top 5 but for some people it is), then for efficiency, I’ll support a previous post’s suggestion of parking in someone’s yard in-town north of 93. That’ll give them an opportunity to walk through downtown on College Ave and into Bowman Field with Tillman Hall at the center - IMO one of the most iconic sights on campus. Then I suggest walking through campus (through military heritage plaza, the carillon garden, and then down Fort Hill) as they make their way to Esso rather than walking the google map route down 93. From there the intramural fields (lots 1 and 2) will provide endless hours of socializing and sight seeing. Esso is a short stroll further on.

Aug 1, 2019, 7:39 PM

Hope you bring some coeds with Daisy Duke's and Cowboy Boots!!!! :)

Aug 1, 2019, 7:43 PM

They were plentiful last September when I was in College Station.

Gig 'em!!!

Aug 1, 2019, 8:01 PM

Welcome. :) Please bring your band!!! They are the best!

I was at the game in 2005

Aug 1, 2019, 8:50 PM

When Nelson Welch kicked 6 field goals and we won 25-24. There was a huge TAMU contingent that night and they were the classiest visiting fans I’ve seen at Death Valley. Looking forward to a good game this season with Trevor Lawrence playing 60 minutes. I think having an battle-tested #16 who is the undoubted leader of this offense in the 4th quarter will make a HUGE difference over what we saw last year in College Station.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nelson was long gone by 2005. Jad Dean

Aug 1, 2019, 9:02 PM

was our kicker in that game. HTH.

Aug 1, 2019, 9:59 PM

I wouldn't choose Section K if I wanted a good view of the entrance. If you're below grade, your view may be obstructed by people standing between you and the players at top of hill and as they run down. Sections beginning with 'U' (upper part of lower deck, above grade) are the best. IMO, first five or so rows of top deck 'TD' are also good view of entrance and game. For day games early in season, Section K is bad for having sun beating in your face, unless you enjoy being miserable.

Aug 1, 2019, 10:17 PM

Oh, be advised Row A starts at the bottom. Rows 27 and above use double letters. If you sit in a 'TD' section, you'll need to BYO oxygen tank to reach Rows AA and up.

Aug 1, 2019, 10:23 PM

Wow, lots of reading here. I’m out!

The BBQ.....

Aug 1, 2019, 11:19 PM

General Tiger fan favorite

The Smokin' Pig, Clemson Blvd http://thesmokinpigsc.com/

My personal favorite though

Henry's Smokehouse, 3 locations in Greenville area https://www.henryssmokehouse.com/

Both will heavily challenge anything you can rustle up in Texas.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, here we go...

Aug 2, 2019, 7:44 AM

Just a warning - we don't use ketchup for sauce.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome to TNet...

Aug 2, 2019, 7:49 AM

...and I hope you have a great trip to Clemson.

Please post your experience after the game.

I did not make it to Aggieland last year, but my son went and was astounded by how welcoming the Aggies were to the Clemson fans.

It will be a tremendous atmosphere, I just wish it would have been a little later in the season after the temperatures drop a bit. Disappointing that our game got the late afternoon TV slot instead of the prime time slot. This is definitely a bigger game than LSU-Texas.

If you have any troubles along the way, reach out to TNet and you probably get some help. Lots of great folks on here but we have our share of keyboard boneheads as well.

Safe travels!

Aug 2, 2019, 8:06 AM

Save your time and forget Tony's ice cream and come to Clemson to try some of Clemson's Finest ice cream (made here). Thursday or Friday night, just outside of Clemson, try the brisket at Smokin Pig. I don't think you will be disappointed with either.

After the game, you can hang around with tailgaters or go to the Esso Club for few beers, watch other games and if you want, have some bar food. Could be crowded early though.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Clemson ice cream is served on campus at

Aug 2, 2019, 8:17 AM

the Hendrick's Student Center but closes about an hour or 90 minutes before kickoff. You can also enjoy sitting in a cool place upstairs watching several of the earlier games on TV with friendly Tigers while you enjoy the treat. I had good conversations with Auburn fans there a couple of years ago. They shared our hatred for Bama openly.

Aug 2, 2019, 8:34 AM

Your itinerary looks really good. All the restaurants you picked are real winners. For Sunday brunch I would do tupelo honey. The sweet potato pancakes are delicious!

Im not a golfer, so can’t help you too much there.

If you love BBq you do need to try Smokin Pig in Pendleton. That is my favorite place and it is very close to clemson.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would suggest section T, W or W

Aug 2, 2019, 8:38 AM

You will have a great view of the hill and V is visitors with a sprinkling in T and W.

Howdy!

We have 8 Aggie friends coming to stay with us and this is the most anticipated game for me ever.

I work for a highly placed Aggie and have been to many games at Kyle Field. I am now an Aggie except when they play Clemson. Never met a better group of fans or another university with better priorities - other than Clemson!

BTHO the SC Gamecocks

Typo - meant section T, V or W

Aug 2, 2019, 8:39 AM

Nm

Hopefully you’ll enjoy Clemson.. also SMOKING PIG

Aug 2, 2019, 8:42 AM

It is one of the friendliest places to tailgate for opposing fans.

When Gameday comes to town, they eat Smoking Pig BBQ. It is all around excellent from the BBQ to the brisket to the sides. Definitely get some while you are here.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Aug 2, 2019, 9:25 AM

Sobi's has the very best Sunday brunch. It's all you can eat serve yourself including shrimp and grits, beef loin, an omelet bar, and much more. The bloody Marys and mimosas and very good and reasonably priced.

Other options for Italian is Lemoncello's downtown, or Portafino's near Hayward Mall. If you want a great burger and beer try Grill Marks downtown.

For a sweet treat downtown go to Poppington's and get the dark chocolate & sea salt caramel covered popcorn.

Aug 2, 2019, 11:12 AM

And if you want a great, Texas size steak go to the Peddler Steak House.

Looks like you have done a great bit of research

Aug 2, 2019, 10:27 AM

I hope you find Clemson a welcoming place, we pride ourselves on hospitality. We have noticed with success comes bandwagon fans that don't understand that, though. They are definitely the minority, but can be a vocal one. We wish you well for all things, except during the game - and during the game may be some friendly smack talk at worst.

Anyhow, Greenville is an awesome town! I'm sure you'll love it too. May a recommend a few places to consider:
Soby's - Never had a bad meal there. Their She Crab Soup is the best I've ever had.
https://sobys.com/
Pomegranate - Persian food and a cool vibe. http://www.pomegranateonmain.com/

Not downtown, but worth the trip - Saskatoon's Steak and Wild Game. Emu and Elk are by far my favorite, but most things are excellent. https://saskatoonrestaurant.com/

Local breakfast - Tommy's Country Ham House is where a lot of people go. It is very "down home" and "casual" but has been there forever and has become the place where all the candidates go when they are campaigning. http://tommyscountryhamhouse.com/

I hope you love your trip, except for the 3 hours or so when the teams are on the field... Go Tigers!

Aug 2, 2019, 10:47 AM

I'll let the locals supply most of the input. We are down in FL and only get get up for one game a year.
However, growing up in Midland before going to Clemson, I would suggest trying the mustard based sauce and pork for BBQ. It's not Texas BBQ, but doesn't try to be. I hope you'll find it a nice change of pace!

And for the love of God, take no mercy on the chickens when you play them!

Aug 2, 2019, 11:19 AM

Thanks for all of the responses! So much good info that we can apply to our trip - especially the parking.

To answer a few items that were raised:

The last I heard the Fighting Texas Aggie Band will be making the trip minus the fish (freshman), and they will be performing. Thats the unofficial word I've gotten so hopefully it happens.

Thanks for suggesting some historic sites around the campus. We'll definitely make our way to see them, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to make it up to the area beforehand on Friday. I try to play golf whenever I'm in a new area, and the only way I can think of making it work is if I played the Walker course near campus, but I'm guessing it would be pretty packed prior to game day. Still don't know if I'll be able to get on Chanticleer but we'll see.

Some great food recommendations that I missed in all my research - we'll have to rework our existing food choices to incorporate some of these mentioned.

Glad I got info from this thread prior to buying tickets. I'll check out the other sections mentioned. We have portable stadium seats (for half time use only) for the bench. While we're used to the heat, anything we can do to mitigate it is ideal.

I'll be sure to post a review following the trip. In the meantime, if anyone can think of any other suggestions keep em coming - thanks again!

When asking about tickets make sure you ask

Aug 2, 2019, 2:00 PM

about seatbacks. Many folks have paid extra for those to be added. Might save you from carrying in portables that you won't need.

Message was edited by: clover65®

Re: When asking about tickets make sure you ask

Aug 2, 2019, 9:52 PM

If your seats don't have installed seat backs, and you do not want to lug your own around, you can rent seat backs in the stadium. They were $10 each last year (not sure if price will change this year).

The mentioned T, V and W are great for shade

Aug 2, 2019, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Howdy Tigers! ]

So is V. They’re all on the west side of the stadium and across from the hill.

Aug 2, 2019, 11:27 AM

The feeling on the way home will be we just dropped 2-3 k to see that ?
I’m sure you’ll have a blast before the game but about 10 mins in all hope will be lost.
But anyway hope y’all have safe travels and are not too let down after the game.

Aug 4, 2019, 1:47 AM

Your team has absolutely earned your rightly held confidence, but there are a few things your post overlooks:

1) Regardless of the game outcome, we won't regret spending a little change for an amazing experience with other Ags, as well as hopefully meeting some great Clemson folks - and gauging by this thread I'm pretty confident that we will have some awesome interactions.

2) Regardless of what is on paper, or the unanimous opinions of analysts, this is why we play the games. As you may recall, a number of folks predicted that a certain team was going to roll in the NC, and that particular team got rolled 44-16.

3) 10 mins, 15 mins or 3.5 quarters isn't enough to destroy the hope in this team. While the Jimbo era hasn't yet resulted in elite status, one thing we have already seen from this team is grit and refusal to quit. We saw some of it against yall, and we especially saw it against LSU. We even got a glimpse of of it when Bama obviously had the victory, and Jimbo called timeout to get more plays in. The expectations and culture of this football team is shifting, and eventually the results will as well.

Aug 2, 2019, 12:34 PM

Welcome!

That looks like a pretty solid itenerary. I can recommend a few things for food and parking:

Biscuit Head is a great choice. The lines are usually around the building...really good biscuits with a jam/butter bar full of homemade jams and butters. I haven't had Maple Street yet, but Biscuit head is a great choice.

Tupelo Honey is solid. I've been a couple times..I think it's a little overpriced but the food is pretty good.

Stella's is really good as well, I would do that one for the Sunday brunch..I would choose them over Tupelo.

As far as BBQ in Greenville, Bacon Bros is a solid choice. Their charcuterie (sp?) board is fantastic and all their meats are top-notch. Local Cue has good brisket and the best wings in Greenville imo. And for good SC pulled pork BBQ with yellow sauce, Henry's is a great spot. If you're feeling a buffet, Mutt's in Greer is great....their other locations aren't as great but the Greer location is.

We look forward to hosting you and wish you best of luck. I think this early season game against a good aTm team is going to be a tough one. Death Valley will be rocking!

Aug 2, 2019, 1:34 PM

We sat there last year against NC State upboit 2/3 the way up the section. Great view and typically good price. You’re right by the band which is also neat. Since most of them are on the field, you get a better view of the Hill Run.

Sunday Brunch

Aug 2, 2019, 6:22 PM

Everything above is a solid recommendation, but you’d be doing yourself a disservice if you didn’t have Soby’s Brunch on Sunday. Best one hands down. Hope your belly doesn’t bust on the way back to Texas. Have a safe trip.

Aug 2, 2019, 11:27 PM

Try Bridges BBQ in Shelby on your way from CLT.

Aug 4, 2019, 7:19 AM

You've done a heck of a lot of research. I'd go on vacation with you and yours anytime haha.

As for food in Greenville, I cannot recommend Stella's highly enough. I used to get to the one in simpsonville for lunch and their food is incredible. Tupelo is also good but I'd say go Stella's. Your other two options are great but you should also consider the Trappe door. If you like Belgian beer and food, this place is a can't miss. They have the amazing steak frittes, incredible mayo, and the best charcuterie board in town, followed closely by bacon bros. I'd also go biscuit head for breakfast over tupelo. Either way, keep in mind they're both Asheville restaurants so, if you're ever in asheville, you can check out both for the original experience.

Brewery wise, brewery 85 is my favorite and go to. Also own and operated by a clemson grad. Swamp rabbit also has good beer but it's a bit out of the way and over priced. I'm not partial to any other breweries in gville but they maybe up your alley.

Good luck and I hope you have a good trip!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic