Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just took a look at our basketball recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Just took a look at our basketball recruiting

Mar 13, 2015, 10:49 AM

Our incoming savior at pg Ty Hudson had offers from GA State, Houston, Kansas St, Ole Miss, S Florida, UAB, W Kentucky, Xavier. Legend Robertin had a better list of offers, but only a 3* as well. He could be a pretty good player down the road at 7' tall, but I doubt he makes a huge impact his freshman year. I really don't get the optimism on this incoming class when it is only 2 3*. What am I missing? How will this class turn things around at Clemson?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just took a look at our basketball recruiting

Mar 13, 2015, 11:02 AM

Hudson is a 4 Star....

His biggest offers were VCU, K State, and Oklahoma St.

Legend's biggest offers were from Alabama, Florida St, Oklahoma State, Pittsburgh, and West Virginia.

You are correct on one thing Legend will not contribute his Freshmen year.... Most big men through out the country do not.

The ones that do come into school ready to play are quickly grabbed up by Kentucky Duke UNC Kansas etc.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

The lack of player development this past season forces fans

Mar 13, 2015, 11:04 AM

to find hope in other ways - that the players they haven't seen yet and "addition by subtraction" will make us competitive again.

Hopefully, they are correct about the new guys and the current roster won't repeat the lack of development this past off season and we will be a much improved team and make the NCAA Tournament.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree about the lack of player development this season...

Mar 13, 2015, 11:56 AM

thought we'd have a better inside game this year.
Improvement in that area is a MUST for next season.
Go Tigers!!

Re: I agree about the lack of player development this season...

Mar 13, 2015, 12:48 PM

WHY?
I hope you did not think Sidy was bringing the improvement up or even Josh.

Jaron is more work around the basket versus post up.

Was there really a lack of player development?

Mar 13, 2015, 12:40 PM [ in reply to The lack of player development this past season forces fans ]

A few players didn't look as good as they did last year, but how much of that was due to losing a NBA caliber player who took the pressure off of them last year?

And as far as player development goes, Blossomgame improved greatly over last year. He scored more than 8 more points per game, averaged more than 3 rebounds more per game, and had a much higher shooting percentage (including FTs). Nnoko actually scored more points per game this year than he did last year, despite getting less minutes per game (yes, that was because he got in foul trouble). Djitte was obviously much better than he was last year. Really, the only place we didn't see improvement was in the backcourt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. Player development is something BB has

Mar 13, 2015, 1:05 PM

done heads and tails better than OP ever did.

The way he had Bobo playing his last year vs. when OP brought him in was amazing!

He's turned Nnoko into a serviceable big (if he could just stay out of trouble).

Other than Blossomgame, none of the other 8 players

Mar 13, 2015, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Was there really a lack of player development? ]

returning improved from last year. Nnoko's point production went up by 1, but his rebounding went down by 1 and his turnovers and fouls went up while his time on the floor went down. Djitte, Hall, Harrison, Ajukwa, Roper, and Smith either failed to improve or regressed.

This was not a good year for player development and improvement.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we have a transfer pg who is supposed to be decent as well.***

Mar 13, 2015, 11:05 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can he shoot?***

Mar 13, 2015, 11:11 AM

everyone can shoot til they come to Clemson it seems***

Mar 13, 2015, 11:12 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: everyone can shoot til they come to Clemson it seems***

Mar 13, 2015, 11:17 AM

I remember hearing during the FSU game the commentator mentioning one of their players shooting 200 free throws every day and how he has gotten much better. Do you think any of our players do something like this? I'd like to see what our practices are like with regards to shooting drills.

Some coaches also spend practice playing 1 on 1 to develop

Mar 13, 2015, 11:59 AM

Offensive skills - like driving and shooting late in shot clock. Use a 12 second shot clock.

Re: Can he shoot?***

Mar 13, 2015, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Can he shoot?*** ]

Heck, they ALL can shoot! I'm looking for some recruits/players that can shoot and MAKE them.

I've noticed how several players, especially DeVoe, is so much more successful in making his shots when he just catches and shoots without the hesitation that I've seen so often this year. So often the players look like they think about it and hesitate, and that throws them out of a smooth, fluid flow in their shooting process. And, it looked like they play better on offense when the play faster. However, they do have to be able to get offensive rebounds.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dead on...

Mar 13, 2015, 12:09 PM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

An actual answer instead of the regular BS

Mar 13, 2015, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Can he shoot?*** ]

He shot close to 50% from three as a freshman, then shot about 43% from three as a starter last year. So yes, he can shoot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2015, 11:13 AM

It won't change a thing. I don't see the program getting any better anytime in the near future. All the other teams are still recruiting too and getting better players and shooters. BB tends to blame the players more than his coaching, recruiting and development of players.

Well, then stop watching CU BB and quit posting about em.

Mar 13, 2015, 11:31 AM

Might I suggest some Midol since you're on your period. Get over it.

Sorry, I actually care about having a good bball program

Mar 13, 2015, 11:37 AM

unlike some on here that are fine with no expectations of being good.

Re: Sorry, I actually care about having a good bball program

Mar 13, 2015, 11:41 AM

yea we can tell how much you care by your twisting of the quality of the incoming class...
pathetic.

null

Hey SCOK

Mar 13, 2015, 11:43 AM

I never saw you around here in 2002 when I started. What is your other screen names?

Re: Hey SCOK

Mar 13, 2015, 11:51 AM

Yawn... Sorry that facts dont back up that statement.

Your name first shows up in the Tnet archives in 2008.

Also I didnt join until 2004... I am sorry that was so hard for you to figure out.

You might have created that account in 2002 but you were using a different one for the first 6 years.

Message was edited by: clemtiger117®

null

Nope you are wrong.......again

Mar 13, 2015, 12:49 PM

HAHAHA

Re: Nope you are wrong.......again

Mar 13, 2015, 1:19 PM

So you are really wondering why you did not see posts from my name in 2002 when my account was not created until 2004....

It isnt that hard to figure out. I will give you a day to think it through.

null

Mar 13, 2015, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Sorry, I actually care about having a good bball program ]

lol twisting? Rivals has both the players as 3*. All it takes is one look at the offers Ty Hudson has to tell you what you need to know. Y'all act like this is a top 25 recruiting class.

Mar 13, 2015, 11:51 AM

Link to anyone saying it was a top 25 class?

Rivals BBall recruiting coverage is pretty garbage.

TIA twist away.

null

Mar 13, 2015, 11:56 AM

Yeah so using recruiting services to state offer lists and star ratings is twisting. Keep burying your head in the sand. So where would this class rank in the ACC?

Rivals would rate this a 0 star post.

Mar 13, 2015, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Sorry, I actually care about having a good bball program ]

And don't tell me you're a Clemson basketball fan when you're throwing our recruits under the bus before they ever even dribble a ball for Clemson.

Tucker Israel is considered a 3 star kid. Care to bash him next?

Vic wasn't highly regarded. Did you say anything about him prior to playing for us?

And since you have ESP, care to tell me which of our football recruits that wasn't highly regarded is going to be a bust.

Rivals has Hudson in its top 125 players for that class...

Mar 13, 2015, 12:01 PM

He is probably moving up too after making the Georgia a 1st team all State team.

Says the clever guy with the period jokes

Mar 13, 2015, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Rivals would rate this a 0 star post. ]

This is basketball recruiting, not football. We have a staff in football that that has a proven ability to identify talent that others may not see. Do we have that in basketball?

You know, Kotex now makes the Super Plus Sized Tampons....

Mar 13, 2015, 12:14 PM

I hear they're good for fair weather fans. This is Tampon recruiting not basketball recruiting... just so we're clear.

you have a pretty disgusting fetish there. stay safe.***

Mar 13, 2015, 12:21 PM

Care to state how many stars KJ had?***

Mar 13, 2015, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Says the clever guy with the period jokes ]

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Mar 13, 2015, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Sorry, I actually care about having a good bball program ]

Good for you and I'm there with you. We are some of the few who care. Lots here want to gripe about it when we dont. Few care that the dearth of support makes this more difficult

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a forum, Mein Fuhrer.***

Mar 13, 2015, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Well, then stop watching CU BB and quit posting about em. ]

Re: This is a forum, Mein Fuhrer.***

Mar 13, 2015, 1:19 PM

And another SCOK comes out of hiding.

null

Teams like FSU, Va Tech & Miami recruiting better.

Mar 13, 2015, 12:02 PM

Based on recruiting, Clemson could be sliding backwards in ACC standings.

Exactly

Mar 13, 2015, 12:24 PM

I'm still waiting on a response as to where this class would rank in the ACC.

Re: Teams like FSU, Va Tech & Miami recruiting better.

Mar 13, 2015, 12:26 PM [ in reply to Teams like FSU, Va Tech & Miami recruiting better. ]

based on recruiting we were slated to finish last or next to last this year in conference. admittedly, you can't make a gold watch out of a tin can, but brownell's teams haven't let recruiting rankings dictate where they finish in conference.

Yet it's a top 50 class, not counting Holmes***

Mar 13, 2015, 2:26 PM

Re: Teams like FSU, Va Tech & Miami recruiting better.

Mar 13, 2015, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Teams like FSU, Va Tech & Miami recruiting better. ]

FSU and Miami have always recruited basketball great.

Specially FSU.

Hamilton has wasted more talent than any other coach in the ACC.

null

That's always been our main problem.......

Mar 13, 2015, 12:34 PM

except for a few years here and there, we've never had consistent "real" talent that could compete in the ACC. Sure, we've had some good players like when I was in school in the 70s but they brought on probation. Then we had some good coaches such as Rick Barnes who did bring in some talent but then he left. When you look over the years of our basketball program, we haven't had too many Dale Davis and Horace Grant types of players.

That's where we used to be in football - recruiting 3-star players none of the "big" schools wanted. But now we regularly get 4-star and even 5-star players - we get real talent. Until if/when our basketball program ever starts doing that, we're just in for more of the same with poor win-loss records and a revolving door of head coaches.

Re: That's always been our main problem.......

Mar 13, 2015, 1:21 PM

You are correct. Too bad many Clemson fans do not see it.

Like in football, for years we thought Clemson was elite. But it wasn't it. We were living off 1981 National Champs and consistent Danny years of winning the ACC.

Dabo is bringing Clemson closer to elite. But I do not say we are there yet. Need win ACC, play in playoffs consistently to be elite. But we are closer than ever.

Basketball has none of the brnad, history, foundation or support of football or even baseball. That hurts recruiting too or at least makes it an uphill climb.

Below are NBA Players from Ellis, Barnes, Shyatt, Purnell and Brownell

recruited by / played for Cliff Ellis - 1984–1994
Campbell, Elden
Davis, Dale
Grant, Horace (maybe recruited by Bill Foster)
Whitney, Chris
Wright, Sharone
Gray, Devin - also played for Barnes

recruited by / played for Rick Barnes - 1994–1998
Buckner, Greg
Jamison, Harold - maybe recruited/played for Shyatt too

Recruited/played for Shyatt and Barnes (1999 - 2003)
Will Solomon

recruited by / played for Oliver Purnell 2003–2010
Ford, Sharrod
Trevor Booker

recruited by / played for Brad Brownell 2010 - present
KJ McDaniels

Re: That's always been our main problem.......

Mar 13, 2015, 1:25 PM

big danny fan, but how many years he was here would we be in the playoffs. danny always lost a game or 2 he should not have. he!! he invented clemsoning.

Grant was recruited by Foster

Mar 13, 2015, 7:35 PM [ in reply to Re: That's always been our main problem....... ]

Jamison by Barnes and Ford by Shyatt

Mar 13, 2015, 12:46 PM

What are you missing... the small steps.
- Clemson is incrementally gaining better offensively talented players. Add that along with its typically stellar defensive-mindedness... they should be better.
- Overall, you have a program that loses two quality guys who exceeded their abilities. One greatly, the other sporadically.
- We will miss Rod's ability to toughen up the D and create some offense off the dribble. But I bet you will see better shooting from Grantham, Roper, Gabe and Austin, + Rooks, Holmes and even Jaron.

Next year, Clemson will be more skilled offensively. Many times when Rod and Sidy/Josh were out there Clemson was more 3.5 vs 5 on offense. Next year, it should be more 4 or 4.5 vs 5.

Where Clemson can and hopes to see improvement:
...Avry Holmes transfer and has been in system and playing in practices
... new better offensively skilled point guard (would be nice for him to not have to be relied upon)
... new big man - who we hope is more Landry than Sidy - we shall see. He looks on tape as smoother offensively than just a work in progress.
...Strong improvement in shooting consistency from Roper, Jaron, Grantham, Austin, and Rooks
...See Landry take next step and show improvement in offense and fundamentals
...Josh Smith - get him to buy in more and work on his offense
...Sidy - get him to be serviceable in more than putbacks - he needs low post help, but keep his Freethrow shooting going well

Clemson has 2 of top 3 leading scorers returning, plus leading rebounders and several top leaders in steals, assists, blocks and even 3Pt% folks returning

The team's issue could be ... who wants to OWN and LEAD this team?
For 2015... Probably Jaron, then who will step up next? Grantham needs to and so does Landry.
For 2016... Grantham, plus get the next guys in line.. Gabe, Austin, and Hudson.. perhaps Holmes.

Good, you realize how important it is to put more money into

Mar 13, 2015, 6:10 PM

our basketball program. I'm guessing you have no problem upping your IPTAY donation, supporting the athletic department in making our basketball facilities top notch, and cheering loudly for the Tigers while they climb the mountain.

If I'm wrong, and you aren't willing to do those things, then stop complaining because you are expecting champagne on a beer budget. You can't expect us to be better than a middle of the pack ACC team when our facilities are near the bottom of the ACC, our fan support stinks, and our administration historically does little to support basketball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I think we should go to Poland and find some basketball

Mar 13, 2015, 7:51 PM

players. Popular there, lots of tall guys .... Country not hit hard yet by recruiters

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sadly it probably ain't going to change things much. CU ..

Mar 13, 2015, 11:23 PM

loads up on 3* defensive standouts while everyone above is getting 5* lean and long shooters. Our staff has difficulty either judging or attracting quality basketball talent. (or BOTH). I'm going set a very low bar for our basketball program expectations the next two years until DRad is finally forced to make the change he neglected to do earlier.

Unfortunately some of the buffoonish mediocrity lovers on this site will call me a "hater" for being disappointed and expecting more from our basketball program. How long until football?

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic